2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-Full Site Name: Kennedy Kreiger Institute/Johns Hopkins
-Track: Child Neuropsychology
-Rejection
-Date of Notification: 11/20
-How You Were Notified: Mass Email
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Denial.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Kennedy Krieger
Peds Neuro
Rejection
11/20 at 10 pm!!!

Literally brushing my teeth and getting rejected. Nothing but rejections for me! I plan to eat an entire pie on Thursday to console myself. Extra whip cream if I keep getting these rejections...

OMG I can't like this enough. Is this buyable somewhere on the internet? I want it on my wall!!!
Yes!! Here you go!! I think they're also doing a holiday sale thing where you can get 15% off if you enter your email!
Empty Prints

I promise I collect no royalties from Brian whatshisname!

Members don't see this ad :)
-Track: Child Neuropsychology
-Rejection
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Denial.
Same rejection!! Except I’m most definitely not staying sane. :)

Kennedy Krieger
Peds Neuro
Rejection
11/20 at 10 pm!!!

Literally brushing my teeth and getting rejected. Nothing but rejections for me! I plan to eat an entire pie on Thursday to console myself. Extra whip cream if I keep getting these rejections...

I can’t believe they’re sending these out so late. That’s just cruel...sigh. Wishing y’all the best.

Reactions: 2 users
In the spirit of getting rejections at a ridiculously late hour (like, no, can we not?), this has also been super helpful to me lately and is by the same artist
6601f2944f21246c4abf6b26603f08a8.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Nothing is sacred!
Kennedy Krieger
Peds Neuro
Rejection
11/20 at 10 pm!!!

Nothing is sacred! Not even bed time

Reactions: 6 users
You guys are the greatest women/people I have ever come across. How lucky it is to be in a profession with such courageous and absolutely bad ass individuals!!!

Reactions: 10 users
You guys are the greatest women/people I have ever come across. How lucky it is to be in a profession with such courageous and absolutely bad ass individuals!!!

#forumfamily :biglove:

#denvered #bees #neverforget #WWMD

#forumfamily :biglove:

#denvered #bees #neverforget #WWMD
iiiiiiiiloveyou.gif

(Because there is not an adequate Mindy hug gif, The Office will have to suffice)

Reactions: 5 users
PSA: In case anyone is looking for a way to stay sane, Beauty & the Beast is on Netflix now!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
iiiiiiiiloveyou.gif

(Because there is not an adequate Mindy hug gif, The Office will have to suffice)

OMG, this is the gif embodiment of my toddler and my poor, patient, wonderful dog. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
-Track: pediatric psychology
-Rejection
-Date of Notification: 11/20 9:44pm eastern
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Trying to focus on that pumpkin pie I'll be eating in 2 days, that's right PIE, not slice.

Reactions: 3 users
Full Site Name: Casa Pacifica
Track: TYS/ Residential
Invitation
Date of Notification: 11/20/2017
Mass E-mail with personalized attachment
Checking e-mail ... over and over and over again (I'm not sure that counts as sanity).

Cherokee Health Systems
Invitation
11/21/2017
Mass E-mail
1/5 and 1/8

Cherokee Health Systems
No track
Invitation!
11/21/17
Mass email
Jan. 5th or 8th

Full Site Name: Kennedy Krieger Institute/Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Track (if applicable): Pediatric Psychology and Consultation Clinic (full year)
Invite or rejection: Invite
Date of Notification: 11/21/17
How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email
Interview Date(s): 01/17, 01/25

Reactions: 11 users
Full Site Name: Kennedy Krieger Institute/Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Track (if applicable): Pediatric Psychology and Consultation Clinic (full year)

Congratulations!!! So happy to see that alteast one of us is getting good news from Kennedy Krieger :claps:

Track (if applicable): Pediatric Consultation (half year) and Neuropsychology Rehabilitation
How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email followed by personal email
Staying Sane: I feel nothing.

(But seriously, y'all. First invite after 5 consecutive rejections. WHEW.)

Reactions: 10 users
There are a number of current possibilities about things occuring in my house:
1) There is a prehistoric sized insect in here.
2) There is a small-ish hummingbird in here.
3) I am hallucinating or delusional due to sleep deprivation, stress, and/or mental illness.
4) Two or more of the above.

Reactions: 4 users
3) I am hallucinating or delusional due to sleep deprivation, stress, and/or mental illness.
I'd call pest control and your friendly neighborhood psychiatrist. In that order.

Track (if applicable): Child and Family Therapy and Neuropsychology Rehabilitation: Invite
Interview Date(s): 01/11, 11/19, 1/22, 1/29

I'm waiting to hear from the University of Utah as well!
I have stared at past threads and calendars some more and it appears that Utah UNI emails on Tuesdays or Thursdays. Or that was a complete coincidence in the past. Who knows, really, but today's Tuesday, so it's something to obsess about. :p

I'd call pest control and your friendly neighborhood psychiatrist. In that order.
I feel like the order should be reversed. Just count yourself lucky I'm not a training director. I'd be giving serious thought to your risk assessment and triage competencies. :p

It's nice seeing all the green things next to everyone's avatars. We're all here together. Watching. Waiting. Anticipating.
...Avoiding.

It's nice seeing all the green things next to everyone's avatars. We're all here together. Watching. Waiting. Anticipating.
...Avoiding.
Umm.....I've never noticed that before! Thank you so much for mentioning it! I'll now know who to call out when I'm constantly refreshing all day and night and start feeling let down that nobody is posting. :laugh:

I feel like the order should be reversed. Just count yourself lucky I'm not a training director. I'd be giving serious thought to your risk assessment and triage competencies. :p
Oh my god you're right, TAKE NOTE for when this exact scenario inevitably comes up during interviews. We can a learn from my oversight. ;)

Umm.....I've never noticed that before! Thank you so much for mentioning it! I'll now know who to call out when I'm constantly refreshing all day and night and start feeling let down that nobody is posting. :laugh:
I didn’t know that was what it was either! Love it
Hi everyone

Got my first 2 interview invites on back to back days whoooo! :D :cat: :woot:

-Full Site Name: University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center (I saw that one up already but in case the tracks or other info helps anyone)
-Track (if applicable): Clinical Child, Neurodevelopmental, and Early Childhood
-Invite or rejection: Invite (my first whooooo!!)
-How You Were Notified: mass email
-Interview Date(s): 1/5, 1/22
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Was barely holding it together and obsessively refreshing my email before I got this first one, definitely felt a bit of relief since then!!

-Full Site Name: Kennedy Krieger Institute
-Track (if applicable): Behavior Management Clinic, Child and Family Therapy Clinic (full year and half-year paired track)
-Invite or rejection: Invite!!! :soexcited:
-Date of Notification: 11/21 at 7:59am (4:59am in my time zone :sleep::yawn: saw it closer to 9am EST haha)
-How You Were Notified: mass email
-Interview Date(s): 1/4, 1/8, 1/9, 1/18, 1/23
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Can finally feel a little bit more sane now that I have 2 interviews *AND* defended my proposal! A Thanksgiving vacation (not with my family ;)) will also help!

P.S. I love you all, you're the best group of people I've never met :) & my heart goes out to all of you who got rejections at 10PM!!!!! :inpain::nailbiting: Not OK! :nono:

St. Louis VA
Track: General
Notification: 11/21 around 9:30am central time
Invite!!!
Personal email
Interview dates: 1/5, 1/12, 1/19

Ok, with each rejection I receive I immediately consider applying to more places while there's still time. Does anyone feel this way. This year there just happen to be hurricanes (which devastated cities, states, and countries); but has led to some sites extending their due dates. Is that a sign I should apply to more places? Wise mind says "no, you've maxed out in terms of returns on applications [20] and its still early". Emotion mind says "what's another $300, keep adding sites, screw history and statistics, apply to more places". The struggle is real.

You're welcome. Yes - I am pretty observant and helpful. I'm going to be a doctor (or something).

Depending on the state you live in, the hummingbird might eat the insect (as would a lizard). I think you're fine.

Full Site Name: Nationwide Children's Hospital
Track: Child Clinical
Date of Notification: 11/21/2017
How You Were Notified: personalized email
Interview Date: December 8th, Friday December 15th, January 4th, January 11th, January 12th

Depending on the state you live in, the hummingbird might eat the insect (as would a lizard). I think you're fine.

Excellent reframing. Try submitting that as a demonstration of your capabilities if you throw in a bunch more apps?

I can't believe someone in my cohort applied to One site last year... And matched... I'm feeling pretty discouraged with 23! Sorry I had to vent

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Ok, with each rejection I receive I immediately consider applying to more places while there's still time. Does anyone feel this way. This year there just happen to be hurricanes (which devastated cities, states, and countries); but has led to some sites extending their due dates. Is that a sign I should apply to more places? Wise mind says "no, you've maxed out in terms of returns on applications [20] and its still early". Emotion mind says "what's another $300, keep adding sites, screw history and statistics, apply to more places". The struggle is real.
Same. I am also experiencing a great sense of guilt and regret as I see invites go up for places that I decided not to apply to, but thought I would be competitive at/a good match.

Same. Everyone's like, don't go on those forums. But it's the only thing that helps manage my anxiety right now!
I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. Except for the hummingbird/giant insect attack. That hasn't happened to me yet.

YASSSSS.

University of Rochester Medical Center
Child and Adolescent Track
Invite (The first one!)
11/20/2017 9:55 a.m. EST
Mass Email
Interview Dates: December 8 & 22; January 12 & 26
Staying sane by listening to Broadway soundtracks on repeat (currently Dear Evan Hansen) and snuggling my furbabies!

Hey! I also got this as my first invite! Have you heard back about dates yet? What's the expected turnaround time on confirming our interview dates, do you think?

EDIT: Never mind, they just got back to me! A lot of anxiety over nothing.

Last edited:
I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. Except for the hummingbird/giant insect attack. That hasn't happened to me yet.
To be fair, it hasn't attacked yet, but I'll keep you posted.
Also, your screenname is amazing.

As long as it’s not a spider, you’re okay.