2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still radio silence over here. Not a single peep from any of my sites yet... Maybe tomorrow or Friday?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Site: FL State Multidisciplinary Eval and Consulting Center
-Invite
-11/15
-personal email
-12/12, 12/13, 12/14
-still writing cover letters for applications so not enough time to go insane!

Reactions: 3 users
Someone in my cohort today got an invite for the Pediatrics track at Mailman Center for Child Development in Miami. Don't have any details other than that, but thought I'd pass it along anyway!

-Full Site Name: Mailman Center for Child Development/U Miami School of Medicine
-Track: Pediatric
-Invite
-11/14/17
-Personal Email
-Open House: Jan. 4, Jan. 9, Jan. 12

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry everyone who is hearing bad news :( it’s totally their loss!!!!! Who knows, maybe it’s because we’ll all end up at the same site instead.. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
same here :( legitimately heartbroken
Pink_Freud, don't worry it's just the beginning. Stay positive. It's definitely a very good training site but not the only one. I applied to two tracks ASD and pediatrics, so let's see if ASD track would welcome me :)

Sooooooooo is anyone else planning their second career since they've either only gotten rejections or haven't heard back.....and this is a sign that they'll never match and wasn't meant for this career and it's time to go into something else.....No? Just me....okay....

Pink_Freud, don't worry it's just the beginning. Stay positive. It's definitely a very good training site but not the only one. I applied to two tracks ASD and pediatrics, so let's see if ASD track would welcome me :)
Thank you ! It was definitely sad and my first notification which made it harder. Fingers crossed for you on the ASD track !

Sooooooooo is anyone else planning their second career since they've either only gotten rejections or haven't heard back.....and this is a sign that they'll never match and wasn't meant for this career and it's time to go into something else.....No? Just me....okay....

I have definitely thought about other jobs where our skills may come in useful and I come back to Home Shopping Network every time. We are (hopefully) good at building rapport, so the callers would LOVE us and all of that motivational interviewing would make us the the best sales people ever. Who is with me?!?!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

I'm wondering if I should have ever left my surgery job or dental anesthesia job...kinda missing drugs. lol Giving vs. Taking though

Aww, it's still super early for people to be hearing! Interview invites are coming out earlier this year, it seems. There are people from my program who have heard back from several sites, while I have only heard from 1 - but I think it's important to remember that I do not have a lot of overlap with where they are applying, just like you likely don't have major overlap with people on this forum! It's only 11/15, and applications were due 2 weeks ago (or later!).....we are all going to be okay! :)

-James A Haley VA (Tampa)
-Neuropsychology Track
-Rejection
-Notifed by mass email 11/15

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask a question about extending the application deadline? A site I applied to by the first deadline extended it to Nov 20, but APPIC still lists the notification date as Nov 20. Forgive me for sounding like Comic Book Guy, but what am I to believe, that they will read applications and give out feedback on that very same day? I'm mostly interested in knowing because the site (WellSpan Philhaven CBT) has already extended interview invitations and I'm wondering now if there will be a second round or if there might have been some kind of mistake. Come on, psychictherapists. Come up with answers!

Florida State Univ MDC

-Invite (my first!)
-11/15/17
-personal email
-Dec 12, 13, 14
-Staying sane: Refreshing my email and eating copious amounts of sunflower seeds

Full Site Name - Nationwide Children's Hospital
-Track (if applicable): Neuropsychology
-Invite or rejection - Rejection
-Date of Notification - 11/15/2017
-How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone) - mass email
-Staying sane - After my third consecutive rejection, I'm really just not. Whew. What a ride.

Thank you ! It was definitely sad and my first notification which made it harder. Fingers crossed for you on the ASD track !
Same here - first notification & a rejection. Double punch...

I have definitely thought about other jobs where our skills may come in useful and I come back to Home Shopping Network every time. We are (hopefully) good at building rapport, so the callers would LOVE us and all of that motivational interviewing would make us the the best sales people ever. Who is with me?!?!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
I'm with you. HSN HERE WE COMEEEEEE

I'm wondering if I should have ever left my surgery job or dental anesthesia job...kinda missing drugs. lol Giving vs. Taking though
Do you watch This Is Us? The episode yesterday just reminded me how powerful having a prescription pad really is!

Aww, it's still super early for people to be hearing! Interview invites are coming out earlier this year, it seems. There are people from my program who have heard back from several sites, while I have only heard from 1 - but I think it's important to remember that I do not have a lot of overlap with where they are applying, just like you likely don't have major overlap with people on this forum! It's only 11/15, and applications were due 2 weeks ago (or later!).....we are all going to be okay! :)
thank you for your dash of rational thinking in what is an absolutely crazy process for everyone.....I will go back to your post after I spiral some more LOLLLLLLL

-Full Site Name - Phoenix VA Health Care System
-Track (if applicable) - PTSD/MH – Vet Center
-Invite or rejection - Invite
-How You Were Notified - Mass Email
-Interview Date(s) - 12/14, 12/15, 12/18, 12/19, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5
-If & How You’re Staying Sane - So much baking.

-Staying sane - After my third consecutive rejection, I'm really just not. Whew. What a ride.
I'm sorry for the bad news...fellow Nationwide rejectee here....Don't lose hope! I believe you have much to offer!!!

I am loving your dialectics. All the things can exist and do exist. We really do need to be friends.
I've spent over a year in a PHP doing full-model DBT and have drank the Kool-aid. #dbt4eva

Still radio silence over here. Not a single peep from any of my sites yet... Maybe tomorrow or Friday?!

Wanted to echo this. Someone in my cohort has heard back from 4 sites, and I've only heard from 1. It's understandable and easy to read into things and catastrophize, AND different sites offer invites at different times. We'll know when we know. And believe me, I'm whispering this to myself too, because I need to hear it as well :)

I'm gonna be a meteorologist and name nail polish colors. I love weather and I love nail polish, so it all makes sense.

I'm gonna be a meteorologist and name nail polish colors. I love weather and I love nail polish, so it all makes sense.

You can definitely sell your nail polish on my Home Shopping Network show.

Reactions: 4 users
You can definitely sell your nail polish on my Home Shopping Network show.
omfg YES. Can I have a weather segment too? I could name my nail polish after weather phenomena and make it work.

Also, on behalf of a cohort mate:
-Full Site Name - Nationwide Children's Hospital
-Track (if applicable) - Pediatric
-How You Were Notified - Mass Email & phone call
-Interview Date(s) - 12/11, 12/15, 12/19, 1/4

-Full Site Name: University of Alabama - Birmingham Medical School and VA Medical Center Clinical Psychology Internship Consortium (UAB-BVAMC)
-Track (if applicable): Adult Track
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Date of Notification: 11/14/2017
-How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone): mass email
-Interview Date(s): December 11, 2017 or January 8, 2018
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: working on my dissertation ;-)

Just out of curiosity...are you a neuropsych person or general adult? I can't really tell if UAB divides up neuropsych and adult or if they consider that all the "adult" track. Hoping I still have a chance to get an interview there!

I’m a neuropsych person and I got an invite from UAB-BVAMC yesterday. I applied to the VA track; not sure if they do VA and academic at the same time or not.

But to answer your question neuronerd07, I don’t think they divide neuro and adult track. I don’t remember all their different match numbers (and I can’t find them now), but I know I applied to the VA and there wasn’t a specific neuropsych match number.

Just wanted to add that I've heard literally nothing. Except that I got denvered by a NYC number this morning. On the bright side, according to the robot that called me, my company has qualified for a substantial loan, so there's always that to fall back on!

Reactions: 5 users
On that note, I got #denvered yesterday by a credit card company in Minnesota.....I've NEVER gotten a call from Minnesota before, so, I mean, obviously, they decide to start now

+pity+:bang:

Just wanted to add that I've heard literally nothing. Except that I got denvered by a NYC number this morning. On the bright side, according to the robot that called me, my company has qualified for a substantial loan, so there's always that to fall back on!

Y'all, it's happened. #denvered is officially a thing. I freakin love it :rofl:

-Track (if applicable) - Integrated Care/Beh Med
-How You Were Notified - Personal Email

Y'all, it's happened. #denvered is officially a thing. I freakin love it :rofl:

Yes! You can do the weather. I also love weather and nailpolish. I think we have got ourselves a back up plan!

Yessss !!!! denvered!!!!!!

Welp, I got an interview, and I'm trying to tell myself the place is legit because it's APA accredited, but stats would suggest I would have had to have sucked quite a bit to not score an interview... But hey, I wanted some safety and didn't want to wind up in Alaska. :p

I'll add it to the list via PM to the OP via another anonymous account. I'm not paranoid. You're paranoid! :heckyeah:

Yes! You can do the weather. I also love weather and nailpolish. I think we have got ourselves a back up plan!

Yessss !!!! denvered!!!!!!

This is a solid plan, I am here for it!

Welp, I got an interview, and I'm trying to tell myself the place is legit because it's APA accredited, but stats would suggest I would have had to have sucked quite a bit to not score an interview... But hey, I wanted some safety and didn't want to wind up in Alaska. :p

I'll add it to the list via PM to the OP via another anonymous account. I'm not paranoid. You're paranoid! :heckyeah:

YAY!!!! And an interview is an interview so congrats!! :)

Full Site Name - University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
-Invite or rejection - invitation
-Interview Dates - 12/8, 1/17
-How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone) - personal email
-How You Are Staying Sane- Spin Class and McDonalds Breakfast

Last edited:
Full Site Name - University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
I'ma be that person and ask if you'd be willing to say when you got this email? I applied for a different track at this site and am now on high alert o_O

I'ma be that person and ask if you'd be willing to say when you got this email? I applied for a different track and am now on high alert o_O
Sure :) it came at 5:03 PM central. It was individually addressed with an invitation letter attached, so they may take their time sending out invites.

Sure :) it came at 5:03 PM central. It was individually addressed with an invitation letter attached, so they may take their time sending out invites.
Good to know! Thanks for helping a fellow sister out, and a BIG congrats!!!

My kid just asked me what “denvered” meant after watching me obsessively refresh the page... totally a thing!

Full Site Name - Phoenix VA Health Care System
-How You Are Staying Sane- Wine and Pasta!

James A. Haley Va (Tampa VA)
- Track : Neuropsychology
- Invite or rejection - Invitation
- Date of Notification - 11/15/2017
- How You Were Notified - Semi - Mass Email I think

-Full Site Name: National Psychology Training Consortium (central region)
-Track (if applicable): Ozark Center/Freeman Health
-Invite or rejection: invite
-Date of Notification: 11/15
-Interview Date(s): 12/1
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: lots of kitty snuggles and dissociating :)

I’m a neuropsych person and I got an invite from UAB-BVAMC yesterday. I applied to the VA track; not sure if they do VA and academic at the same time or not.

But to answer your question neuronerd07, I don’t think they divide neuro and adult track. I don’t remember all their different match numbers (and I can’t find them now), but I know I applied to the VA and there wasn’t a specific neuropsych match number.

CatsFan - congrats on the interview! I think I applied to both VA and academic - I can't find the specific info now either. I saw some people got rejections and I didn't hear either way. So yeah. Just waiting.

Site: Community HealthLink Youth & Family Services
Invite or Rejection: Invite
Date of Notification: November 13, 2017
How You Were Notified: Personal email
Interview dates: December 6 and 11
If & How You're Staying Sane: Just barely

Are the stats like 20/20 people last year were invited for interview? :p

You’ve really got me curious now...

I haven’t heard anything either but I mostly applied in my state...

Full Site Name - Phoenix VA Health Care System
-Track (if applicable): General
-How You Are Staying Sane- Catching up on TV shows

-Full Site Name: Nationwide Children's Hospital
-Track: Peds Neuropsych
-Rejection :( :arghh:
-Date of Notification: 11/15/17
-How You Were Notified: mass email
-Interview Date(s): n/a
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: puppies, leftover halloween candy, and planning my backup career on HGTV?

CatsFan - congrats on the interview! I think I applied to both VA and academic - I can't find the specific info now either. I saw some people got rejections and I didn't hear either way. So yeah. Just waiting.

No news is good news in a sense; at least you haven't gotten a rejection! :) I double checked what I applied to by downloading my application from the APPIC site. I sort of had a panic moment that I accidentally applied to the wrong program...my brain is pretty fried after all those applications lol.

-Track (if applicable) - Integrated Care/Beh Med
-How You Were Notified - Personal Email

Dang...this is another one of my sites!!!!!! Oh lawdy, I don't know if I can take this wait now. Can we just forward to Match Day knowing I had 6 interviews? Puhhleez?

Just out of curiosity...are you a neuropsych person or general adult? I can't really tell if UAB divides up neuropsych and adult or if they consider that all the "adult" track. Hoping I still have a chance to get an interview there!

I applied for the general adult track.

-Full Site Name: National Psychology Training Consortium (central region)
-Track (if applicable): Ozark Center/Freeman Health
-Invite or rejection: invite
-Date of Notification: 11/15
-Interview Date(s): 12/1
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: lots of kitty snuggles and dissociating :)
Me too! I am assuming you are going to be there on the 1st. Let me know if you looking for sharing room, just an idea if it helps save some bucks. By end of interview season it would be a big bill!

Me too! I am assuming you are going to be there on the 1st. Let me know if you looking for sharing room, just an idea if it helps save some bucks. By end of interview season it would be a big bill!

Ok, since there is evidence multiple people were notified today, and I can maintain some degree of anonymity, I'll go ahead and fess up that National Psychological Training Consortium-Central was my interview offer, too, although I applied to a different site.

Also, I know the room sharing thing wasn't directed at me, but it feels rude to reply and not mention it, anyway.

I won't be able to room share, couch surf, or anything of the sort during this process. I will require intense introverting every minute that I'm not under direct observation and evaluation. As mentioned earlier in the thread, acting like a decent human being is going to be incredibly taxing and I expect post-acting recuperation to be extensive and perhaps even touch-and-go for awhile. :p

tumblr_inline_o576q3fLGq1t1k0l9_500.gif

Reactions: 4 users