2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are the stats like 20/20 people last year were invited for interview? :p

You’ve really got me curious now...

I haven’t heard anything either but I mostly applied in my state...

Close...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
James A. Haley VA- Tampa, FL
Mass email sent
In person interview offered
Jan. 12
General and Trauma tracks

Reactions: 3 users
Okay, I was doing okay with the waiting up until we started to hear things...now it's starting to drive me nuts. I just wanna know!! Dissertation is not enough of a distraction. Neither is teaching. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I was doing okay with the waiting up until we started to hear things...now it's starting to drive me nuts. I just wanna know!! Dissertation is not enough of a distraction. Neither is teaching. Anyone else?
Yes this is me exactly! I was like, I’m so chill, way to go me! And now I’m having a nonstop panic attack

Totally got #Denvered this morning from Austin, TX at 7:30 am on the one day I can sleep in until 8 am .. that extra half hour of blissful sleep really meant a lot to me...
upload_2017-11-16_11-10-54.png

Reactions: 5 users
That moment when one of your internship sites calls you...and you already have your planner out in excitement to schedule your first interview...and it's just to clarify your prospectus defense date. My heart is STILL pounding!!

Totally got #Denvered this morning from Austin, TX at 7:30 am on the one day I can sleep in until 8 am .. that extra half hour of blissful sleep really meant a lot to me...
View attachment 225502

The woman who called me from Denver will never know what a gift she gave to all of us hahaha.
I have gotten more calls from strange numbers then I ever did pre-internship. My boyfriend thinks that the internship sites are prank calling all of us hahaha. :banana:

Reactions: 4 users
Finally an interview!!

-Full Site Name: Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School Internship in Clinical Psychology
-Track: Neuropsychology
-Invite
-Date of Notification: 11/16/17
-How You Were Notified: Looks like a mass email
-Interview Date(s): Thursday, January 4th and Thursday, January 11th

Reactions: 8 users
That moment when one of your internship sites calls you...and you already have your planner out in excitement to schedule your first interview...and it's just to clarify your prospectus defense date. My heart is STILL pounding!!

That happened to me last week via email lol. She was super nice though...

The woman who called me from Denver will never know what a gift she gave to all of us hahaha.
I have gotten more calls from strange numbers then I ever did pre-internship. My boyfriend thinks that the internship sites are prank calling all of us hahaha. :banana:

Agreed. Life is cruel.

-West Virginia University School of Medicine -- Morgantown
-Neuropsychology
-Rejection
-11/16/17
-Mass email

I already figured this one was coming since some people already got interviews, and weirdly it's kind of just nice to know for sure and be able to check it off the list.

Just curious, have any neuro people heard from Henry Ford? I saw that they sent out invites for other tracks a few days ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy dancing!!!

-Full Site Name: University of Florida Health Science Center
-Track: Pediatric/Child Clinical
-Invite
-How You Were Notified: personal email
-Interview Date(s): January 5, 12, or 19

Reactions: 7 users
-Track: Clinical Health Psychology
-Invitation
-Interview Dates : January 5, 12, or 19

If we're going to be losing our minds for the next four months, might as well get a head start. :nailbiting:

This is a running list of interview notifications and rejections for the 2018-2019 APPIC internship application cycle. Please utilize the following format when providing information on interview notifications:

Note: Updates may be posted on this thread or sent to me privately. Once invites start to roll in, the goal will be to review and update at least once a day.

-Full Site Name (please use the full name - to keep the list in alphabetical order)
-Track (if applicable)
-Invite or rejection
-Date of Notification
-How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone)
-Interview Date(s)
-If & How You’re Staying Sane

May the force be with you & May the odds be ever in your favor!

View attachment 224996
Updated on 11/15/2017 [7:30 am EST] (new posts in bold; updated sites in blue)

*Note for USAJobs (courtesy of vegpsych) 11/13/2017: "OKAY- for all of us applying through the USA jobs application. I just spoke to someone on the phone and he said upload a copy of your AAPI, and they are aware that the categories of where we can attach files doesn't exactly match up well and they will check every document we upload regardless of what category we put it under. So that was a relief - basically just make sure you have your transcript, enrollment verification certificate, and a copy of the AAPI uploaded somewhere."

Invitations to Interview:

Aurora Mental Health Center - 11/9 via personal email (child/family track), dates: 1/8, 1/19, 1/22

Baruch College Counseling Center - 11/3, 11/6 via email, dates: 12/8, 12/12, 12/14

Charleston Consortium - 11/9 via mass email (substance abuse & traumatic stress tracks), dates: 12/8, 12/11, 12/15, 1/5, 1/6, 1/8, 1/12, 1/15, 1/19, 1/20, 1/22, 1/26
Children's Mercy Kansas City - 11/10 via phone call (ped psych track), dates: 1/8, 1/9; 11/13 via phone call (child clinical track), dates: same as ped psych
Children’s Minnesota - 11/13 via personal email, dates: 12/13, 12/14, 12/18
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center - 11/13 via phone call (child clinical track & peds track), dates: 12/8, 12/13, 12/15, 1/10

FCC Butner - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FCC Petersburg - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FCC Terre Haute - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FCI Terminal Island - 11/8 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FMC Devens - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FMC Fort Worth - 11/8 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FMC Lenxington - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FMC Rochester - 11/10 via mass email to complete USAjobs app

Henry Ford Health Sciences Center - 11/13 via mass email (health psych track & BMED track), dates: 12/8, 1/5, 1/12, 1/19, 1/26

James Quillen VA Medical Center - 11/13 via phone call (general track), dates: TBA through Doodle Poll

Mailman Center for Child Development - 11/14 (peds track) via unknown, dates: unknown
MDC Los Angeles - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app

National Psychology Training Consortium (Great Lakes Region) - 11/9 via personal email, date: 12/1
National Psychology Training Consortium (Centeral Region) - 11/15 via mass email, date: 12/1

Rush University Medical Center - 11/6 via mass email (neuro track), dates: 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 1/15, 1/16

Southwest Behavioral Health - 11/10 via email (outpatient clinic), date: 1/5
Southwest Consortium (NMVAHCS) - 11/14 via personal email (neuro track), dates: 1/10, 1/17, 1/19; 11/14 via personal email (general track), dates: 1/10, 1/19

University of Alabama Birmingham BVAMC - 11/14 via mass email (adult track), dates: 12/11, 1/8

University of Chicago Medicine - 11/10 via email (child track), dates; 1/5, 1/12, 1/19, 1/26; 11/10 via mass email (adult/health track), dates: same as child; 11/10 via mass email (adult neuro track), dates: same as child
University of Miami College Counseling Center - 11/14 via phone, dates: unknown
University of Tennessee Knoxville - 11/14 via personal email, dates: 1/8-1/14
University of Wisconsin, Dept of Psychiatry - 11/7 via phone call (adult track), dates: TBD; 11/6 via phone call (child&adol track), dates: TBD
Utah State Hospital - 11/10 via personal email (neuro track), dates: 12/4, 12/5, 12/6, 12/7

VA New York Harbor Healthcare (Manhattan) - 11/13 via mass email, dates: 12/5, 12/11, 12/14
VAMHCS/UM SOM - 11/14 via mass email (neuro track), dates: 1/11, 1/18, 1/25

WellSpan Philhaven CBT - 11/6 via phone call, dates: 12/1, 12/6
West Virginia University School of Medicine - 11/8 via email (neuro track), dates: 12/14, 12/15, 1/4, 1/12; 11/9 via personal email (adult/beh med track), dates: 12/14, 12/15, 1/4, 1/12
WJB Dorn VA Medical Center - 11/6 via mass email (general track), dates: 12/6, 12/13

-Track: Child Pediatric Psychology
-Invitation

Reactions: 6 users
Came home after another busy morning of data collection, and I was in the other room when I heard my email ding on my laptop, so I broke into a full out run like a mouse on meth and - as anyone who has ever tried to run in socks on hardwood floors will know - slipped and busted my ass. Half-crawled-half staggered like some poor creature from The Walking Dead to my laptop to see.....yet another email NOT from an internship site.

Michael-Scott-angry-stare-at-toby.gif

Reactions: 6 users
Came home after another busy morning of data collection, and I was in the other room when I heard my email ding on my laptop, so I broke into a full out run like a mouse on meth and - as anyone who has ever tried to run in socks on hardwood floors will know - slipped and busted my ass. Half-crawled-half staggered like some poor creature from The Walking Dead to my laptop to see.....yet another email NOT from an internship site.

I am convinced we all need to be friends. We are the greatest profession, y’all.

I got one that was from an internship site, but it was just another one of those "we got your application" emails. This one had a much more detailed subject line, though, and I very much appreciated the lack of heart attack and fear of opening the email.

Also, what's the protocol on those? Do we respond? No?

I woke up at 230 am after a very vivid dream that I applied to all the wrong tracks at all of my sites and couldn't fall back asleep until I double checked all of my site numbers. I bolted awake and rolled off my bed in an effort to grab my phone to begin investigating. This is getting ridiculous and I'm way too impatient for this crap.

Reactions: 2 users
Okay - the list has been updated! (I'm sorry for the delay)
p.s. I'm "liking" all the updates as I add them to the master list, so if I "like" your rejection, I'm not actually liking the fact that you got rejected, I'm just marking it so I know it's been added :eyebrow:

Congratulations to everyone who's gotten interview invites - thank you so much for sharing! :highfive: And to those who are still waiting, just keep on keeping on, invites are clearly just picking up!

I also got my first invite today from Kings County Hospital Center (see master list for details) - basically was the best moment ever!!!!

Last edited:
Happy dancing!!!

-Invite

-Invitation

ME TOOOO!!! I’m so happy! Finally some good news!! Congratulations to you guys!!

I am convinced we all need to be friends. We are the greatest profession, y’all.

Hahah, I second that! I will also say I think we are the best interview thread group yet. We're so lively and just downright hilarious, if I do say so myself.

I woke up at 230 am after a very vivid dream that I applied to all the wrong tracks at all of my sites and couldn't fall back asleep until I double checked all of my site numbers. I bolted awake and rolled off my bed in an effort to grab my phone to begin investigating. This is getting ridiculous and I'm way too impatient for this crap.

Internship nightmares are the absolute WORST. I've had several over the last several months, each one more bizarre than the next! Also, freakin love your avatar, that is the perfect way to describe this feeling of waiting :rofl:

Okay - the list has been updated! (I'm sorry for the delay)
p.s. I'm "liking" all the updates as I add them to the master list, so if I "like" your rejection, I'm not actually liking the fact that you got rejected, I'm just marking it so I know it's been added :eyebrow:

Congratulations to everyone who's gotten interview invites - thank you so much for sharing! :highfive: And to those who are still waiting, just keep on keeping on, invites are clearly just picking up!

I also got my first invite today from Kings County Hospital Center (see master list for details) - basically was the best moment ever!!!!
Thank you again for managing this thread! I'm sure it's a huge undertaking and we all really appreciate it! And CONGRATS on your invite!!!!! Yay!!!

Happy dancing!!!

-Invite

-Invitation

ME TOOOO!!! I’m so happy! Finally some good news!! Congratulations to you guys!!

Apparently my excitement was so real that my phone decided to post this twice and idk how to delete it...

Apparently my excitement was so real that my phone decided to post this twice and idk how to delete it...
I also don't know how to delete my post, too! I tried to post to the master list... but ended up reposting the master list.

How awesome to read about the influx of invites for so many today, congrats!!!

But also, like why are the APA listservs I'm a part of sending out so many emails today. Why?

Hahah, I second that! I will also say I think we are the best interview thread group yet. We're so lively and just downright hilarious, if I do say so myself.

Internship nightmares are the absolute WORST. I've had several over the last several months, each one more bizarre than the next! Also, freakin love your avatar, that is the perfect way to describe this feeling of waiting :rofl:

They really are the worst! I had one last night that I was being chased by zombies and then ended up in a meeting with my mentor and all of the zombies were all there. THEN --- somehow I ended up in a meeting with one of my old prac supervisors who handed me a note that was restraining order (?!) but he wouldn't tell me who it was for and all I kept repeating was, "I need to know who I should stay 500 feet away from!". Clearly, my impatience is trickling into my sub-conscious or I'm just insane. :wtf:

Reactions: 1 users
Yes! I told my mom about getting an interview and she replies "to one of the competitive places?" which prompts several thoughts, including - (1) internship as a whole is competitive! getting an interview makes me happy! SUPPORT THAT!; (2) simply because an internship is in a less popular place or in a less known setting does not mean they do not offer appealing training opportunities!

For what it's worth: CONGRATS ON NEW MEXICO!!!!! I have heard great things about their training program and know people who have completed that internship (and also have a few grad friends interviewing there this year)! You earned that interview - don't forget that!

Thank you so much! It's actually one of my top choices and I'm super pumped! And congrats on your interview!

I'm gonna be a meteorologist and name nail polish colors. I love weather and I love nail polish, so it all makes sense.

Yes...I make grad school related crafts and full-time etsy is what I would do if i couldn't work for facebook or google!

I usually never pick up the phone if it's a number I don't recognize, and I hate that I've been picking up every phone call since this month started! Even when it's a number from Nebraska and I didn't even apply anywhere here...I'm like, well, maybe the internship site director is from there???

And it's always a telemarketer!

Is everyone getting the “we got your application” emails? I haven’t gotten any except the one and to clarify my proposal date....

Is everyone getting the “we got your application” emails? I haven’t gotten any except the one and to clarify my proposal date....

I actually have not received any of those e-mails. I've gotten a total of three emails so far: one place telling me I picked a research mentor who wasn't available anymore, one place telling me I messed up listing the tracks, and the third was an interview.

Full Site Name: MetroHealth Medical Center
Track (if applicable): Pediatric Psychology
Invite or rejection: Invite
Date of Notification: 11/16/17
-How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone): mass email
-Interview Date(s): 1/5, 1/8, 1/11, 1/12, 1/15
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: eating, playing with puppies, Target shopping...but really, what is sanity?

I actually have not received any of those e-mails. I've gotten a total of three emails so far: one place telling me I picked a research mentor who wasn't available anymore, one place telling me I messed up listing the tracks, and the third was an interview.
Whew thanks. I’m glad the training directors take the time to even tell us when we mess up. Better than just tossing our apps away...congrats on the interview!

Full Site Name: MetroHealth Medical Center
Track (if applicable): Pediatric Psychology
Invite or rejection: Invite
Date of Notification: 11/16/17
-Interview Date(s): 1/5, 1/8, 1/11, 1/12, 1/15
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: eating, playing with puppies, Target shopping...but really, what is sanity?
OMG!!!! Congrats!!!! I remember reading about this one and the training opportunities seem awesome!

-Full Site Name: Cincinnati VA Medical Center
-Track (if applicable): General Clinical
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Interview Date(s): 12/6, 12/11, 1/4, 1/9, 1/16

same! First one, excited.

Goodness ya'll are quick at getting things posted on here. Also got an interview for Cincinnati VAMC, Trauma Recovery Track. Looking forward to potentially meeting some of you in person!

-Full Site Name Nebraska Internship Consortium in Professional Psychology
-Track: Boys Town Residential & Boys Town Behavioral Health East
-Invite or rejection: Invite! YAY!
-How You Were Notified: Personal E-mail
-Interview Date(s): 01/05/17
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Free HUGz

- Cincinnati VA Medical Center
- General Clinical
- Rejection
- 11/16
- Mass email

556991ea-4274-425e-8bdd-39dafd07f44e.gif

-Full Site Name: University of Minnesota Medical School
-Track: Not really specified but I indicated interest in Child Clinical/Peds in my cover letter
-Invite or rejection: Invite!!
-Interview Date(s): 12/19/17 or 1/8/18
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: I ate a vegetable yesterday..which is probably helping something on some level

556991ea-4274-425e-8bdd-39dafd07f44e.gif

-Full Site Name: University of Minnesota Medical School
-Track: Not really specified but I indicated interest in Child Clinical/Peds in my cover letter
-Invite or rejection: Invite!!
-Interview Date(s): 12/19/17 or 1/8/18
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: I ate a vegetable yesterday..which is probably helping something on some level

Congrats!! Also, Mindy is my spirit animal, so excellent choice

I also got an invite to Cincinnati VA, neuro track, same dates.

-Track: Neuropsychology
-Invitation

Hahahaha I relate to this on the deepest level! :D

So I finally gave in and joined SDN in a bout of insomnia last night, after years of reading these boards (first for grad school apps, now for this roller coaster of a process). I love how supportive everyone is here and not gonna lie, also makes me feel better that I'm not the only one completely FLIPPING OUT :eek:

I also kinda joined to ask Slaney if you'll be my BFF? Pretty please?!

Nothing of substance to add (like an interview invite... I wish!! :arghh:) so carry on...

-Full Site Name: VA Puget Sound (Seattle)
-Track (if applicable): N/A
-Interview Date(s): 1/4/18