2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JAWS? What's that?
Whoops, meant to say WARS! Getting my baseball abbreviations confused with the medical school ones. Sorry for any confusion!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to those who received interview invites from here! Submitted my secondary on the 14th, and I've got my fingers crossed. I would really really love to attend SSOM!

Reactions: 1 user
What is WARS? Not familiar with the abbreviation

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it bad that I haven’t received any email from Loyola whatsoever? I submitted my AMCAS app 7/8 and it was verified 8/9.

My app went from on hold back to under review today. Not sure what that means.

My app went from on hold back to under review today. Not sure what that means.

Loyola likes to keep applications back and then re-review them throughout the cycle to see how they’re comparing, so getting back under review is indeed a good sign. Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Current student here, hit me up if you have any questions! Good luck everyone :)

Since submission, my portal page has just said "under review" message. Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since submission, my portal page has just said "under review" message. Anyone else?
Same. I heard that loyola status alternates between under review and on hold so idk if I was ever on hold

Scheduled Interview for 9/4
Received an II on 8/15
AMCAS submitted 6/7
Secondary submitted 7/15

I'm really excited to interview at this school. I love their mission statement and curriculum structure. Good luck to everyone else applying!!! If you're interviewing on the same day, let me know!
Congrats! Do you mind sharing stats and if IS or OOS?

As a current student, I just want to share that 2 classmates from my cohort have died within the span of a year.

You can confirm this from Loyola's Bereavement notices. One was a suicide and one was an overdose. Both students were in contact with Student Affairs and making use of school resources before they died. There has been a lack of honesty and faculty have even blamed students for not looking out for one another more. Those who show concern about the lack of response are of course risking their careers.

For any students who have been accepted to Loyola and are coming to visit, I've begun to suggest they look at other options. There is a lack of research opportunities here and a lack of resources-- from academic counseling to student healthcare. The class sizes are large (160 students) and faculty support staff are meager. I suggest a state school.

From my experience, it is unlikely Loyola will be your only option if you are accepted here. The USMLE Step 1 score and passing rate is not good, even though the curriculum is incredibly rigorous. Many students are repeating entire years or failing out. For a U.S. MD school, something is wrong there.

Beyond that, the tuition is astronomical. Over $60k per year in tuition alone and rising, with various fees all over the board. The location isn't great, especially if you're from the West Coast.

The response from the school to our classmates' deaths was that this is a societal issue. Sure, it's happened at other med schools, but those schools have demonstrated a robust response.

Reactions: 12 users
As a current student, I just want to share that 2 classmates from my cohort have died within the span of a year.

You can confirm this from Loyola's Bereavement notices. One was a suicide and one was an overdose. Both students were in contact with Student Affairs and making use of school resources before they died. There has been a lack of honesty and faculty have even blamed students for not looking out for one another more. Those who show concern about the lack of response are of course risking their careers.

For any students who have been accepted to Loyola and are coming to visit, I've begun to suggest they look at other options. There is a lack of research opportunities here and a lack of resources-- from academic counseling to student healthcare. The class sizes are large (160 students) and faculty support staff are meager. I suggest a state school.

From my experience, it is unlikely Loyola will be your only option if you are accepted here. The USMLE Step 1 score and passing rate is not good, even though the curriculum is incredibly rigorous. Many students are repeating entire years or failing out. For a U.S. MD school, something is wrong there.

Beyond that, the tuition is astronomical. Over $60k per year in tuition alone and rising, with various fees all over the board. The location isn't great, especially if you're from the West Coast.

The response from the school to our classmates' deaths was that this is a societal issue. Sure, it's happened at other med schools, but those schools have demonstrated a robust response.
Thank you for your candidness. But just... wow. :(

It's actually my first time hearing someone badmouthing Stritch. everyone I met absolutely loves stritch and loyola in general. I heard about the passing of those students and it's extremely sad. Unfortunately it's not uncommon in the medical field, students and doctors are often burned out and sometimes they think the only way out is suicide. Stritch was affected by those deaths and is trying to raise awareness and encourage students to seek help when they're struggling. There's a new required certification in 'mental health first aid' prior to matriculation, you can read more about it here Mental Health First Aid USA also stritch is a very supportive community and stritch students are known to be among the happiest medical students around the country.
To all applicants, don't let this discourage you from applying or interviewing here, if you visit stritch, you will realize that it's such a unique school but it also won't be the best fit for everyone. Feel free to direct message me if you have any specific questions. I know the application cycle can get pretty overwhelming but best of luck to all of you!!

Reactions: 6 users
If anyone is interviewing today... good luck and please share your experiences!

Please share your experience with your fellow peers if you interviewed today :)

Stress Level of interview? Anything new you learned about SSOM which you did not know before? Anything during your day which caught you off guard (Idk)?

the email right after submission makes it sound like it just popped up on an adcom screen right when I hit submit lol
"Your file is complete and currently undergoing a review by our committee"

I am also in the class that lost 2 students. The student who died by suicide was one of my closest friends and I can tell you that he had extensive support from the school. As devastating as his loss was, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the way Loyola treated him either before or after his death.

To DocAroundTheClock, this is Jacq. Feel free to come speak with me if you would like to better understand the administration's treatment of our friend's illness and death.

Reactions: 8 users
I received a 503 on my mcat, which was a shock because my practices were averaging at a 507. I am a bit untraditional... 32, a father, in the military and adult convert to catholicism. I know, statistically, I'm not likely to get in now but wondering if anyone has received acceptance with that score or around that score? Thank you!

I received a 503 on my mcat, which was a shock because my practices were averaging at a 507. I am a bit untraditional... 32, a father, in the military and adult convert to catholicism. I know, statistically, I'm not likely to get in now but wondering if anyone has received acceptance with that score or around that score? Thank you!

I would definitely give it a shot. Loyola is not very concerned about the MCAT score in general as long as it passes their threshold, which I believe hovers around 500. They have also accepted students just below 500 in the past. I think your background is very impressive - definitely go for it! Good luck!

Definitely apply if you like the school, don’t let that mcat stop you. Stritch is VERY holistic so experiences matter most. Good luck!!

Ahh found this interview invitation in my spam box a week after it was sent to me, at which point they sent me another reminder email which also ended up in my spam box. PSA check that spam!

Ahh found this interview invitation in my spam box a week after it was sent to me, at which point they sent me another reminder email which also ended up in my spam box. PSA check that spam!
Just checked my spam hoping to see the same, but found 4 more Podiatry emails...

Reactions: 21 users
Hi guys! I wanted to update my application but I can't find the place where I would upload an update. I could have sworn I saw a place to do it in the portal but maybe I am going crazy. Can someone please tell me under which tab is the upload option! Thanks a lot!

Hi guys! I wanted to update my application but I can't find the place where I would upload an update. I could have sworn I saw a place to do it in the portal but maybe I am going crazy. Can someone please tell me under which tab is the upload option! Thanks a lot!

Below the 'Your Application' box with the updates is another box: 'Something to Update?' where there is an option to submit a document.

Below the 'Your Application' box with the updates is another box: 'Something to Update?' where there is an option to submit a document.

You are referring to the ' Your Application' box in the 'Home' Tab correct. When I look at it, all I see is this with the dates: "
Primary Application received
Letters of Recommendation received (1)
Invitation to submit Supplemental Application
Supplemental Application received
Your Interview Date (8/23)

Does yours show something else?

You are referring to the ' Your Application' box in the 'Home' Tab correct. When I look at it, all I see is this with the dates: "
Primary Application received
Letters of Recommendation received (1)
Invitation to submit Supplemental Application
Supplemental Application received
Your Interview Date (8/23)

Does yours show something else?

Yes. It doesn't show an interview date :laugh: That is the box I'm talking about. Under it should be another box with a button to submit an update document. Perhaps this disappears once you are invited to an interview...

Yes. It doesn't show an interview date :laugh: That is the box I'm talking about. Under it should be another box with a button to submit an update document. Perhaps this disappears once you are invited to an interview...

Patienceeee my friend! I pray you also see that box! During my interview I heard a student say something about "when the update box becomes available" but ignored the comment because I could have sworn it was already available, but I guess it goes away and then comes back once they update the system that you attended your interview and what not.

On-Hold for Re-review. Complete early August. I hope this hold will turn into an II soon!