2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for people who have received Hold notifications OR II, when did you submit your secondaries?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Lol people are getting II already and I haven’t even opened the secondary yet

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who got an II, do you mind sharing stats?

For those of you who got an II, do you mind sharing stats?
LizzyM under 70, OOS, URM

I know it's hard, and I obviously recognize this is easier for me to say, but don't get caught up in this or be discouraged if you submitted earlier and your stats are better. I had friends last cycle who didn't get II's until wayyyy late in the cycle despite having high stats and submitting early. The II's ended up flowing in for them later, and now they're on their route to become doctors at great schools.

Im gonna reference @theKingLT from another thread:
"... the methods for sorting and reviewing apps is different for every school and much more complex than just review them in order of receipt and send II or not. There are rankings, certain apps get accelerated, some schools separate sections for blind ratings, etc. Just because you're not in the first wave of II's means nothing for your long term success, just be patient"

Reactions: 6 users
"Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

curious on whether it is actually under review or if it's just a statement to make us sit back and wait. For those who got interviews/rejections, how long did this status stay for? thanks

"Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

curious on whether it is actually under review or if it's just a statement to make us sit back and wait. For those who got interviews/rejections, how long did this status stay for? thanks
Will say that the majority of people will forever have this status

Last edited:
II today! Complete 07/04. Offered August 21st, 23rd, and 28th.

Reactions: 5 users
“Your file is currently undergoing a review...” - your app is complete. They either haven’t looked yet, or they have but they haven’t deferred it or put you on hold yet. This is the status you have before an II

“Your file has been initially reviewed...” - has been reviewed and put on hold/deferred. Don’t fret guys! This happens to a lot of people and they’ve been taken off this status before.

Just wanted to clarify these statuses based on my understanding from previous threads and advice from Loyola med student folks.

If you’re put on hold, perhaps submit an update on your app. This school is very very keen on getting people who not only qualify, but specifically FIT at the school and their mission. Try starting work or updating with things that reflect that so you can show that you’ll carry their torch essentially. Good luck friends!

Reactions: 2 users
“Your file is currently undergoing a review...” - your app is complete. They either haven’t looked yet, or they have but they haven’t deferred it or put you on hold yet. This is the status you have before an II

“Your file has been initially reviewed...” - has been reviewed and put on hold/deferred. Don’t fret guys! This happens to a lot of people and they’ve been taken off this status before.

Just wanted to clarify these statuses based on my understanding from previous threads and advice from Loyola med student folks.

If you’re put on hold, perhaps submit an update on your app. This school is very very keen on getting people who not only qualify, but specifically FIT at the school and their mission. Try starting work or updating with things that reflect that so you can show that you’ll carry their torch essentially. Good luck friends!
Does Loyola reject, and if they do, what's the status for that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Having a hard time answering the first essay prompt and I’ve already done 22 secondaries. I’m not sure how to go about it.

Does anyone know if they compare applications between different years? applied here before and wondering how much info should be new info in the essays, there is one topic for an essay I really like and don't want to change too many details in it :(

Does this school pre-screen for secondaries? Or is one automatically sent to everyone who applies via AMCAS?

Having a hard time answering the first essay prompt and I’ve already done 22 secondaries. I’m not sure how to go about it.

Perhaps try thinking about a key role model, quote, or inspiration that is *your* personal definition of being a person for others, define it, and explain why that’s your meaning of being a person for others. In other words, why do you care about service? make sure to draw lessons from specific examples in your life. I think this is their essential question that gauges your fit at the school, so perhaps try learning more about why Loyola cares about service and how they implement service in their institution, and draw on that. Loyola is super service oriented so you have to show that you have that same mindset

For this prompt in the secondary,
5. Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alteration in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to you list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know. If you have not been enrolled in coursework, please let us know what you have been doing since coursework ended.

it says to add "anything else you feel we should know"
Do you guys think I can add my reason for applyin to Loyola here?

For this prompt in the secondary,
5. Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alteration in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to you list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know. If you have not been enrolled in coursework, please let us know what you have been doing since coursework ended.

it says to add "anything else you feel we should know"
Do you guys think I can add my reason for applyin to Loyola here?
I would not, personally. Up to you though. I feel like it’s really just bringing them up-to-date on your application since submission of your primary.

I would weave “why Loyola” into the first prompt, as I think that’s what the school is going for (not just answering the question but to apply it personally = how you serve others, why you fit the school, and why the school fits you)

I would not, personally. Up to you though. I feel like it’s really just bringing them up-to-date on your application since submission of your primary.

I would weave “why Loyola” into the first prompt, as I think that’s what the school is going for (not just answering the question but to apply it personally = how you serve others, why you fit the school, and why the school fits you)
thanks for your insight. I do understand that it may be a lil extra of me of possibly include my "why loyola" essay into the last prompt, but I'm not sure if adding that essay is a good fit for the first prompt asking about what Jesuit ideal means to me.
Like Loyola is a Jesuit school, but would it really be a good place to add my "why loyola" essay?

thanks for your insight. I do understand that it may be a lil extra of me of possibly include my "why loyola" essay into the last prompt, but I'm not sure if adding that essay is a good fit for the first prompt asking about what Jesuit ideal means to me.
Like Loyola is a Jesuit school, but would it really be a good place to add my "why loyola" essay?
I incorporated how service-oriented the school is. How certain programs and organizations that support the underserved really appeal to me, etc.

Don’t force this into your essay if you don’t feel it fits. It’s definitely easier to incorporate if its part of your initial outline and I think, for me, it was more organic and genuine to integrate it into the first prompt than to add in an essay. Plus I had an update essay haha. But I guarantee they’ve seen it all and offered II’s to people who’ve done both or neither.

I incorporated how service-oriented the school is. How certain programs and organizations that support the underserved really appeal to me, etc.

Don’t force this into your essay if you don’t feel it fits. It’s definitely easier to incorporate if its part of your initial outline and I think, for me, it was more organic and genuine to integrate it into the first prompt than to add in an essay. Plus I had an update essay haha. But I guarantee they’ve seen it all and offered II’s to people who’ve done both or neither.
Yeah haha thanks for sharing your thoughts! good luck on your apps :)

Would it be weird if I decide not to answer the " Have you applied to any medical school prior to this year’s application? If so, please list the years of your previous application submissions to AMCAS. Please also tell us how your application has improved since your previous application." question but still answer the " did you apply to loyola before'' one?

Or would it make a difference if I don't answer that one either since it's still marked on amcas and it's optional here?My issue is that I'm basically gonna be writing about all the stuff I've been doing in the gap year essay anyway so it feels pointless to me but I don't want it to hurt me either.

i submitted 7/4 and I'm still undergoing review... is this normal?

Will not writing a lot for the Jesuit values thing be bad? Idk about the rest of you but I see the values as like "be a good person, be good to others, give back, etc" which is like.....just be a nice person? I get why they want it but I think we all want to implement the values even at schools that arent specifically Jesuit.

Will not writing a lot for the Jesuit values thing be bad? Idk about the rest of you but I see the values as like "be a good person, be good to others, give back, etc" which is like.....just be a nice person? I get why they want it but I think we all want to implement the values even at schools that arent specifically Jesuit.
I did not say Jesuit value I just said "being a person of others"

Reactions: 1 users
How did you guys answer "If you did not submit an advisor letter, please indicate to us why you chose not to seek a letter from your pre-medical advisor. For example, if your undergraduate school did not have a pre-medical advisor, let us know."

my school has pre-HEALTH advisor, but I didn't like him and didn't find him very helpful which is why I didn't get a letter from him.

How did you guys answer "If you did not submit an advisor letter, please indicate to us why you chose not to seek a letter from your pre-medical advisor. For example, if your undergraduate school did not have a pre-medical advisor, let us know."

my school has pre-HEALTH advisor, but I didn't like him and didn't find him very helpful which is why I didn't get a letter from him.
My major was non-science so I said I only went to them and hardly ever spoke to my pre-med advisor

I have a 497 MCAT score and I’m getting a lot of family pressure to apply to this school although I’m against it. I’m URM with a 3.66/3.55 cumm/sci GPA. Can anyone please help me verify that my stats aren’t compatible with this school?

I have a 497 MCAT score and I’m getting a lot of family pressure to apply to this school although I’m against it. I’m URM with a 3.66/3.55 cumm/sci GPA. Can anyone please help me verify that my stats aren’t compatible with this school?
If you are against applying to this school, I suggest you don't apply because at the end of the day it's your 4 years of medical education and you would likely want to spend it in a school where YOU want to learn. so it may be a waste of your time and energy to try to get into this school which you are not desiring to enter.
But I personally think loyola is a great school to meet diverse people and get involved in service. I'd say do some research to see if there really is nothing you like about loyola. If you find somehting you like about great! if not, at least you know what kind of school you are looking for.

Reactions: 3 users
If you are against applying to this school, I suggest you don't apply because at the end of the day it's your 4 years of medical education and you would likely want to spend it in a school where YOU want to learn. so it may be a waste of your time and energy to try to get into this school which you are not desiring to enter.
But I personally think loyola is a great school to meet diverse people and get involved in service. I'd say do some research to see if there really is nothing you like about loyola. If you find somehting you like about great! if not, at least you know what kind of school you are looking for.

I'm thinking more in the lines of my MCAT score being tragic. I love the school dearly but I don't want to be a reapplicant. I just thought that it'd be too low for consideration. Sorry if the question was confusing.

I'm thinking more in the lines of my MCAT score being tragic. I love the school dearly but I don't want to be a reapplicant. I just thought that it'd be too low for consideration. Sorry if the question was confusing.
are you applying to schools in general this cycle?

are you applying to schools in general this cycle?

It's not a goal of mine but I'm being pulled from so many different angles. I just want to withdraw and retake. It's not wise to apply IMO. I just want to verify that it would be currently impossible to gain acceptance with my scores. My family doesn't understand the process. I've tried showing them AAMC data, nothing. Which is why I'm posing the question about stats.

It's not a goal of mine but I'm being pulled from so many different angles. I just want to withdraw and retake. It's not wise to apply IMO. I just want to verify that it would be currently impossible to gain acceptance with my scores. My family doesn't understand the process. I've tried showing them AAMC data, nothing. Which is why I'm posing the question about stats.
I am no expert but since you are also leaning towards waiting another year I suggest that you retake your mcat and spend a gap year building up your EC. I think it may def increase your chances which I believe you are also aware of.
all in all, this is your application and your future. If you truly feel the need to apply this year go ahead but I hope you make that decision and not your family. You know yourself the most. Wish you the best of luck. :)

Damn near everyone that applies to med school is a reapplicant, for reference i'm URM, a veteran and I have a 500 MCAT and I'm a third time reapplicant lol. My best advice if you dont feel confident in getting in, save your money until next cycle and use this cycle to focus on your MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users

I am not sure I understand the issue, but here goes my crack at a response:

It is not about how many sentences/paragraphs/essays you write that will motivate an adcom to invite you to an interview, its the quality of your answer and how it reflects you and your desire to attend the institution you are applying to. If you feel that you come across well in a short response to this question, then go for it. While the question may seem trivial (obviously the majority of those who want to go into medicine are doing it because they like helping other people), its an opportunity to let your strengths shine and show them why you would be a good candidate for this school. Loyola takes pride in its Jesuit tradition, even if its based on values and not necessarily religion. So it is important to them that they find students who fulfill that (even those who are not Jesuit).

I don't know if I answered your question or if you even had a question. Haha. Basically my point is there is no right answer to a question. They are just giving you a platform to prove that you would fit in and excel at this specific school.

I am not sure I understand the issue, but here goes my crack at a response:

It is not about how many sentences/paragraphs/essays you write that will motivate an adcom to invite you to an interview, its the quality of your answer and how it reflects you and your desire to attend the institution you are applying to. If you feel that you come across well in a short response to this question, then go for it. While the question may seem trivial (obviously the majority of those who want to go into medicine are doing it because they like helping other people), its an opportunity to let your strengths shine and show them why you would be a good candidate for this school. Loyola takes pride in its Jesuit tradition, even if its based on values and not necessarily religion. So it is important to them that they find students who fulfill that (even those who are not Jesuit).

I don't know if I answered your question or if you even had a question. Haha. Basically my point is there is no right answer to a question. They are just giving you a platform to prove that you would fit in and excel at this specific school.
Thanks I actually just submitted my app haha. I talked about how their values align with mine and how i have demonstrated that via X Y Z and how those furthered my desire to become a "person for other" (or whatever wording they used). And then specifically how the school will help me grow because they value these ideals

Thanks I actually just submitted my app haha. I talked about how their values align with mine and how i have demonstrated that via X Y Z and how those furthered my desire to become a "person for other" (or whatever wording they used). And then specifically how the school will help me grow because they value these ideals
Sounds like a great response.

Would it be weird if I don't answer any of the optional questions as a reapplicant?

Ya. I went ahead and answered them. I was feeling lazy at that moment and didn’t want to write another essay explaining all that haha

Good idea. By not answering, someone might assume the worst and at that point you won't be able to explain yourself.

II Today! LM = 77, OOS, URM. Was complete July 13th. Really excited to interview near my home state of Wisconsin, and hyped for my second II!

Reactions: 7 users
Would I be competitive enough for this school? OOS with 503 MCAT and 3.87 gpa. I think my MCAT is low for this school but I do have a lotttt if volunteering hours.

Does anyone know if Loyola is receptive to “In the area” emails? I’m interviewing at UIC and would love to save a flight ticket

Received an II on Tuesday! OOS, LizzyM ~70, WARS ~80-85, Love the Chicago area and can't wait for my interview on the 28th of August! This secondary gave a lot of space to share my story, and I approached it trying to be very open and vulnerable, focusing on the growth found through some of my most challenging life experiences and how it led me to medicine. Seems like they value authenticity a good deal, don't be afraid to share parts of your true self!

Last edited:
Received an II on Tuesday! OOS, LizzyM ~70, JAWS ~80-85, Love the Chicago area and can't wait for my interview on the 28th of August! This secondary gave a lot of space to share my story, and I approached it trying to be very open and vulnerable, focusing on the growth found through some of my most challenging life experiences and how it led me to medicine. Seems like they value authenticity a good deal, don't be afraid to share parts of your true self!
JAWS? What's that?