2018-2019 Psychiatry Interview Reviews / Insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seroquelae

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Carrying on the tradition from years past!

Here is a place we can share our thoughts and hopefully help each other out along the way! Everyone is welcome to post their impressions after interviews, and multiple reviews per program are definitely welcomed. Please keep in mind that these posted reviews represent a single individual's perspective from their interview day. Your mileage may vary.

As stated previously, programs can change a lot within a year and I hope people post their reviews immediately after you interview at a program since it's very difficult to do later if you don't. If you're worried that programs will retaliate, then you're posting inappropriate information. It's always a good idea to review your post for professionalism and doxing info before you submit it.

Happy interviewing, everyone! :D

You can use the following format as a guideline. Please feel free to add any additional information you may find helpful!

1. Ease of Communication:
2. Accommodation & Food:
3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences):
4. Program Overview:
5. Faculty Achievements & Involvement:
6. Location & Lifestyle:
7. Salary & Benefits:
8. Program Strengths:
9. Potential Weaknesses:
10. Overall Impression:

Links to reviews from previous years: 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016

Table of Contents:

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California

Colorado

University of Colorado - Review 1

Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas

Kentucky

University of Louisville - Review 1

Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey

New Mexico

University of New Mexico - Review 1

New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio

Oklahoma

OU Tulsa - Review 1

Oregon
Pennsylvania

Drexel University - Review 1

Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Washington
Washington DC
Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Thanks for getting us started, Seroquelae (heh)!

OU-Tulsa (aka School of Community Medicine)
Very easy and responsive! Through email. Schedule sent out beforehand so you can see which faculty/residents you are interviewing with and in what order.

2. Accommodation & Food: Nice restaurant (The Wild Fork): appetizers ordered, drinks & dessert offered. Apparently they rotate through other local favorites like Sisserou's (Caribbean) and Prairie Brew Pub. Vegan/vegetarian options are findable. 2-3 residents attend dinner.
Residents and program coordinator offered to drive applicants to and from hotel (Doubletree) for both dinner and interview.
Bagels and coffee in the AM. Barbecue for lunch: salads & wraps for the non-carnivores. Lunch well-attended by residents.

Powerpoint with breakfast. Half of the applicants start with interviews, half with a car tour with a resident of training sites and Tulsa. Then lunch then the groups swap then the day is done around 3pm.
Interviews: Three 30 minute interviews. Each interview had a faculty (e.g. PD, Chair, other) plus a resident (e.g. a co-chief, a PGY3) in the room. Each interview consisted of 3 standardized questions (get your competency-based interview skillz ready to go!) + an opportunity for you to ask your own questions. 30 minutes goes very fast--especially when you're fumbling for specific, precise, examples that elucidate your quality of character and self-awareness and growth, as is desired when answering competency-based questions! I didn't have any other questions about, say, "why psychiatry" or "tell me about yourself/this thing on your CV."
Experience: Residents and faculty seem friendly, down-to-earth, non-neurotic, emotionally well-adjusted people. Good vibes to be around for training! Clearly a culture of supporting each other and feeling very comfortable reaching out to faculty: one co-chief said she wouldn't hesitate to call the Chair at 3am, if needed for a patient. The current interns are quite close, going out for dinner after didactics each week and getting together for game nights or dinners that rotate through each other's homes.

4. Program Overview
Well-laid out on website. Notable bits:
-Pretty light call throughout
-Currently, PGY2 is outpatient and PGY3 is inpatient. They have touted this as handy for those who are going to fast-track into fellowship after PGY3 so that you have an idea of outpatient life before you apply to fellowship. However, they are piloting a program where they do 2 weeks outpatient and 2 weeks inpatient (I suppose during both PGY2 & PGY3? I don't perfectly remember?). The thought is this will improve both continuity of care and resident wellness.
-Strong wellness focus (yes, mandatory lectures, but also 1 day and 1 half-day off each semester to do your own wellness, whatever that looks like to you)
-Off-service rotations (both inpatient and outpatient) are usually in Family Med, rather than Medicine. I think you might be able to do Medicine or Peds for your outpatient time.
-IMPACT team: an ACT team where you work with social services, nurses, etc. and take care of a large panel of low SES pts, visiting them in their homes in an effort to decrease ED visits. Super cool and effective model to learn from and work with. I'm not sure how many residencies have required rotations with an ACT team.

5. Faculty Achievements & Involvement: Not spoken about in-depth. Likely on the weaker side if you are looking for really active, fabulously-published research mentors--that is until you look at the oodles of NIH & NIMH funding and big-name publications (JAMA, JAMA Neurology) at Laureate Institute for Brain Research (LIBR). OU-Tulsa has a strong relationship with LIBR and it's very easy to research, or even rotate, with the innovative, accomplished folks there.

6. Location & Lifestyle:
If you crave neither mega-metropoloses nor snow, consider Tulsa! Great traffic, green trees, & COL; a city exploring itself and delighting in it; great for kids (look at the new world-class park, A Gathering Place!). Cool art crawls, some solid & diverse local eateries, more breweries than they know what to do with, hip cocktail bars, & accessible cultural events (check out Guthrie Green). Tulsa is culturally and ethnically diverse, but certainly segregated. If you want to work in a city that has problems, but also has good, committed people (and the oil baron philanthropists) to work on those problems, Tulsa is a good fit.

7. Salary & Benefits:
Seem pretty standard, see website. Your coin will get you far in Tulsa.

8. Program Strengths:
-Very responsive to resident feedback (numerous examples were provided)
-Goodly, down-to-earth people
-Moonlighting: ample opportunities + good pay
-Economically and culturally diverse patient populations
-Laureate Institute for Brain Research
-IMPACT Team
-Tulsa (YMMV)

9. Potential Weaknesses:
-Forensics
-Lack of diversity where faculty trained
-Lack of robust research & publication culture (outside of LIBR)
-Tulsa (YMMV)

10. Overall Impression: Someone recommended to me to give each place a nickname to help in accessing my feelings/story about each one: I thought it was a lovely idea! For this program, it's Oklahomey or Prairie Home Companions: friendly, nurturing, a place in which it is relatively easy to get around & get by, a place to contribute to a community, a place to grow & spread wings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Before this thread gets super long and hard to navigate, is there a way we can make a table of contents in the OP that people can link to, rather than scrolling through seventeen gazillion reviews, like in past years?

It would certainly make it easier to read in the future for us students coming down the pike.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Before this thread gets super long and hard to navigate, is there a way we can make a table of contents in the OP that people can link to, rather than scrolling through seventeen gazillion reviews, like in past years?

It would certainly make it easier to read in the future for us students coming down the pike.

Yes, I like this idea! I have no clue how to do it though... any advice? I do not know how to link an individual post. :thinking:

Update: thank you so much for your help, Old&InTheWay! I will be keeping this table of contents updated as reviews get added.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I like this idea! I have no clue how to do it though... any advice? I do not know how to link an individual post. :thinking:

So on the post you want to link to, you click where it says e.g. #4. That gives you a link to that post. Then you copy and paste that into your post and change the text at the end to say “Review 1” (for instance). See below for an example.

Question about how to link to a post

University of Louisville

The program coordinator, Christy Castle-Greenwell, emailed the invitation with available dates and did the scheduling - very easy (No ERAS/Thalamus/IB). She sent a super helpful, detailed email far in advance with everything you need to know for interview day (time, address, dinner info, etc). The email also included contact information for two of the chief residents, as well as her own personal cell phone, which I found to be a nice touch. I got a very kind and welcoming vibe from her.

2. Accommodation & Food:
Christy includes a list of hotel options in the email. However, the hotel is not paid for, and there are no special rates for interviewees. I did not stay in a hotel (I knew someone who lives in Louisville with whom I stayed).

Dinner was hosted at a resident's home with casual dress (i.e. jeans), which was really great. Pizza was ordered from a local pizza place, and there was beer and wine. It was well-attended by residents, and there were 2 groups of interviewees (one who interviewed that day and the other who interviews the next day). The dinner was relaxed, and was an excellent way to talk to the residents. The fact that it wasn't at a restaurant took off a lot of pressure, and it had a personalized touch. The residents all had great comradery, and I could tell they all got along well. There was a fire pit and we made s'mores. I had so much fun - I felt like I was at a party! :hardy:

Parking was $9 in a garage with a connected walkway to the building (not paid for by the program). The day started at 8:30am and lasted until 4pm. There was breakfast with coffee, fruit and pastries. First we had a group interview with the department chair, Dr. Casey. He asked everyone to talk about what brought them to psychiatry, what they see themselves doing after residency, and why they like UofL/the city of Louisville. While a little intimidating at first, it was actually a really neat experience to hear everyone's story and shared love of psychiatry. Dr. Casey seems very nice and seems like a competent chair. Just make sure you have an answer to those questions (which you should at every interview anyway). Next, the 8 interviewees were split into 2 groups of 4. One group did interviews first and then tour, and the other was in reverse. The interviews were very laid back (make sure you have plenty of questions to ask during the interview, even if it’s just to use as a conversation starter - like, "I like xyz about your program and I'd like to know more about it"). There were three half hour interviews, and there were no weird or unfair questions. Lunch was catered with BBQ pulled chicken and buns, yummy potatoes and cooked veggie mix with zucchini and squash. Tours were conducted by the chief residents, who also hung out with people in a central conference room between interviews and were very happy to answer questions. The tour consisted of Norton hospital (private) and UofL hospital. There is a "group meeting" were interviewees "interview each other" and present it to the group. Again, it sounds scary but it really wasn't a big deal. It was neat to learn more about the fellow interviewees. We discussed hobbies and interests, things like that. The day ended with a wrap-up from Dr. Robert Caudill, the program director. He seems very down-to-earth and transparent. He showed us funny YouTube videos about the match. :laugh: Overall, interview day was relaxed and FUN!

4. Program Overview:
They have an excellent website that outlines the rotation and didactic schedule by year, so I won't write all of that here. They take 9 residents per year. Didactics seemed very well planned out, and they take their didactics seriously. Fellowships are CAP, Addiction, and Psychosomatic. The PD is very enthusiastic about building up a forensic fellowship, and is hoping that it is coming soon. They offer an academic track and a community service track. The sites residents rotate at are centrally located, and there are several food trucks parked outside of the hospital. There are two 20 bed adult inpatient units (Norton and UofL). Norton also has a 20 bed child and adolescent unit. Norton is a private hospital on the same street as UofL. Norton's facilities were old and depressing. UofL has a brand new psychiatry floor which is absolutely GORGEOUS. The UofL Healthcare Outpatient Center is also gorgeous. Residents also rotate at the VA (a couple of miles away), Central State hospital (20 minute drive), Jewish Hospital, The Brook Hospital, and Centerstone. UofL hospital has a dedicated five-bed Emergency Psychiatric unit physically separate from the main ED, which is where all residents take their psych night call. Residents collaborate to come up with a call schedule, and I get the sense that this is usually not a contentious process. They seem very open to resident feedback, and make changes when and where they can. Call seemed fairly reasonable.

Dr. Caudill, program director, is a pioneer in telepsychiatry (i.e. video conferencing). All residents get exposure to telepsych. Dr. Wright does all of the CBT training and he is a student of Aaron Beck.

Personally, this aspect is not super important to me, and I did not research it further. I do not want my lack of research on the matter to be a disservice to the program and faculty - I'm sure there is more.

6. Location & Lifestyle:
Louisville is the largest city in Kentucky, located on the Ohio River, and it has a lot to offer. It is famous for Churchill Downs, where the Kentucky Derby is held annually during the first Saturday of May. The Derby is preceded by a two-week-long Kentucky Derby Festival, which starts with the annual Thunder Over Louisville, the largest annual fireworks display in North America. Bardstown Road is known for its cultural diversity and local trade. It has a zoo and several museums. There is also a nice restaurant and bar scene. Great parks. There is a massive 100-mile green belt/bike trail around the city. Real estate and traffic are very reasonable, so owning a house and commuting are not a problem.

7. Salary & Benefits:
Health insurance (shared cost), Professional liability insurance (malpractice) coverage, Long-term disability insurance coverage, Life insurance of two times the annual salary. Kentucky medical license fee, both initial and renewal. Travel allowance to attend psychiatric meetings (PGY2-4 year). Twenty days paid vacation per year. One week educational leave during PGY1 year. Two weeks educational leave per year (PGY2 - 4 years). One dental examination/ cleaning per year in the Dental Clinic. Hepatitis vaccinations and other immunizations at no cost.
Salaries (2018-2019)
PGY 1 $54,621
PGY 2 $55,785
PGY 3 $57,340
PGY 4 $58,927

There are moonlighting opportunities including Central State hospital, and several other facilities. There is an opportunity to moonlight in Fargo, ND on weekends, with all expenses paid.

8. Program Strengths:
+ Diversity of training sites
+ Frontier in telepsych
+ Excellent psychotherapy training (pick up patients PGY-2 year)
+ Child and adolescent exposure/fellowship
+ ECT/TMS exposure
+ Some cool specialty clinics available PGY3 including psycho-oncology, different substance abuse clinics
+ Many, many cool electives
+ Dedicated emergency psych
+ Gorgeous new psych floor at UofL
+ Respected and well-utilized consult service
+ Moonlighting opportunities
+ Louisville is a very livable city with excellent cost of living

9. Potential Weaknesses:
- Many faculty/graduates stay in the area; not helpful if you want to make connections on the coasts for example
- No forensic psych (though in the works - may come in the future)
- No wet/bench research; not a research-heavy program (though research is possible if you want it)
- Norton was old and depressing (but you only spend a few months there)
- I got the impression that you only get fed at some locations were you rotate, but not others
- Weekend and short call in the psych ED as a PGY1 even while off service. Call requirements in psych ED continue into PGY3, and you still have 2-3 call shifts per month PGY2 despite 2-3 months of night float
- Many required inpatient months during PGY-4

10. Overall Impression
I was pleasantly surprised by how great this program is. Everyone here is exceptionally kind and dedicated. I love their dedication to teaching psychotherapy, and I think their involvement in telepsych is really neat. Louisville is also a really cool city with a great cost of living and a lot of stuff to do (food/drink/parks). I think that this is a well-balanced program with a lot to offer. Residents genuinely get along with one another. The program director is very receptive to resident feedback.There were no red flags on my interview day, and I got caring, friendly vibes from everyone there. I will be ranking this program very highly, and I would be very happy to match here!

University of New Mexico

Via ERAS. Easy. The schedule was sent out beforehand and included the names of faculty and residents we would meet with.

2. Accommodation & Food:
Apothecary Lounge (rooftop of Hotel Parq, a former psych hospital: a fun touch!) or Hotel Andaluz. Many appetizers ordered, drinks on you. I chose to stay at the Quality Inn Downtown which was close to both campus and bar (<10min rideshare) and had a free airport shuttle.

Three 30min interviews, each with a faculty member: I really appreciated that these were spread out throughout the day rather than being back-to-back-to-back. A mix of “any questions for me?” to intent familiarity with my application and a gush of excitement while talking over shared interests. PD leads introductions at the beginning of the day and driving tour at the end of the day. The day included travel to VA (tour, rounds, an interview, car tour of the city), lunch with residents (informal & confidential, taco bar), walking tour of UNM before ending the day with a little hike in a gorgeous nature preserve, as well as coffee at one of the PD’s favorite coffee shops.

I found excellent vibes at UNM. Residents I met were very down-to-earth, bright, sociable, happy, relaxed. The faculty I met were similar. The main unifying factor amongst faculty I met is genuine desire to serve marginalized populations: this was so exciting and palpable. It reminded me of being in a startup: people seem hungry to do good work and there’s a buzz of innovation in the air. The PD struck me as such a cool, authentic, goodhearted person. Faculty generally have pretty impressive pedigrees, but seem very grounded as well as engaged.

4. Program Overview
Website for deets. Notable aspects:
-True and ardent commitment to underserved populations. This mission pervades their work.
-Rural Track: opportunities at rural Native American clinics and doing telehealth.
-Refugee Clinic. Plus possible opportunities to work in New Zealand (6 mos), Mexico, and Central America.
-Faculty actively engaged in asylum evaluations, for example of migrant children in detainment camps.

-New Child Combined Track: get to do peds PGY1, connected with a CAP mentor, automatic acceptance to UNM’s fellowship without needing to apply through the Match. Not binding tho.
-Lots of opportunities and good pay for moonlighting
-Strong psychotherapy
-Mostly VA-based PGY1. This means you have access to really solid wraparound resources and just about any drug regardless of price. This also means that you are a bit cloistered away from residents other than first-years and that the bulk of your patients are middle-age to older males.
-The state is rather poor and there are not many resources. If you want to work with low SES populations, it’s great because you learn to do what you can. If you want to work with largely affluent populations, this place will not give you much exposure to such patients.
-Not much eating disorder exposures, though apparently one faculty is interested and trying to change that.
-Fellowships: Addiction, CAP, Geri, C/L. Grads seem to match well into fellowships.
-Quite a bit of flexibility for you to create your own path. For example, the refugee clinic and the ECT elective were created by residents.

5. Faculty Achievements & Involvement: Hard to evaluate? I pubmed-stalked the people with my interests and they are well-published soooo take that as you will. Per SDN, UNM is a place that some greats might go to after long, full careers.

6. Location & Lifestyle:
Residents clearly love living in ABQ: mountain hiking/snow shoeing/biking trails are ~15min drive from the middle of town and one resident said they had never traveled so much in their life (outside MS4 lol) as there are so many wonderful day/weekend trips (Taos, Santa Fe, White Sands, Chaco Canyon, protected astronomy camp grounds, Petroglyph National Monument, hot springs, etc.), as well as easy flights to Colorado, Texas, California. Residents loved this easy access to the outdoors. I imagine ABQ is sort of what Denver was like 20-30 years ago: small, uncrowded, sunny city with gorgeous surrounding nature, “hippie” tendencies,” and locals who wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. They call it the Land of Entrapment. Sunsets beautiful, humidity low (so hair always looks great), and xeroscaping is rad. Traffic is pretty minimal, but a car is necessary to get around (thought you could live in Nob Hill and bike/walk to campus after PGY1). Low CoL (per a resident, think 4 bed/3 full bath in a gated community with a koi pond and garage for $1300/month).

7. Salary & Benefits: Laid out on website

8. Program Strengths:
Truly seem committed to serving marginalized populations
Good people
Flexibility
Strong psychotherapy
Child Track, Rural Track
Refugee Clinic & Asylum Evals
Albuquerque

9. Potential Weaknesses:
No eating disorders
Minimal affluent patients
State is low-resource
Research
Albuquerque

10. Overall Impression: My emotional access/story words for UNM are Desert Revolution/Desert Mystics: this is a place for folks who are more interested in doing the good work of working with populations on the margin, rather than residing in Ivory Towers. A place for those who want to be surrounded by stunning natural landscapes in a diverse, livable city that has a deep sense of time, place, and culture.

University of Colorado

Via email. The schedule included the names of faculty and residents we would meet with, however it changed up until it was actually time to interview. So you can only prep so much!

2. Accommodation & Food:
Brewery dinner the night before/after (depending on if you interview on Thurs or Fri). Apps and pizza provided, drinks on you. No set seats so good for mingling.

Meet the Chair & introductions, program overview w/ APD. Two 1hr interviews: one w/ a faculty member, one w/ a resident. Two 30min interviews: one w/ an APD, one w/ PD. Lunch w/ residents (sandwiches, chips, cookies. Asked dietary restrictions beforehand). Tour Denver Health & interview w/ a faculty member or resident (~45min) over there.

Some interviewers had clearly read my app and had talking points ready. Others kept it pretty open to my questions. Only one or two had pointed questions that seemed to be more directly evaluating me (e.g. what sort of pt is difficult for you to work with? What will be a struggle in residency?).

I found everyone very bright, grounded, sociable, reflective and unpretentious. Ranged from really happy folks to some who are perhaps lacking a bit in passion for program/psychiatry. Many relish the outdoors and cite ~Denver~ as a main reason (if not the SINGULAR reason) for ranking Colorado highly); those who don’t can feel a little out-of-sorts, it seems.

4. Program Overview
See website. Unique aspects:
Tracks (you can choose more than one)
-Child: Children’s is gorgeous and legit. No guaranteed admission to fellowship or to do peds/child neuro in PGY1 if too many in the class are vying for those opportunities. Often the residents want to stay in CO, but the Fellowship can’t necessarily accept them all so there can be friction.
-Research
-Psychotherapy
-Career: Between PGY3 & 4, you can work in the community. You get paid what an attending would be paid, but this stipend is spread out evenly between all your training years.

-This is a big program with a lot of residents and faculty, thus a Disneyland of opportunities for well-developed research/tracks/electives/projects, but you do need to ask for them. Once you ask, the floodgates shall open and riches lie within.
-One of the more unique electives is the LGBTQ+ clinic.
-Strong diversity of patients and setting: you will come out well-trained. Work in lots of different hospital systems so have to be down with lots of driving and lack of consistency (e.g. type of patients, attendings, staff, resources, EMR, etc).
-Very frequently “workhorse” and “rigorous” were used to describe PGY1, considering call and that psych residents are treated as IM/neuro residents when off-service. Many residents and alums-now-faculty feel the rigor resulted in terrific training, which I believe. Struck me as maybe a little bit of Stockholm Syndrome when I heard phrases like “I’m really glad for the training and wouldn’t have traded it just so I could have weekends off sometimes.”
-Residents feel the department is well-respected by other specialities and attribute this to their working alongside with IM/neuro as PGY1’s.

The new Chair is wow. Her research has basically been funded her whole career and she trained at and was faculty at Yale before starting a women’s behavioral health division at Penn. Super cool research at intersection of reproductive hormones and mental health. She wants to increase residents’ knowledge of neuroscience and train them as physicians with strong awareness of how the brain interacts with other organ systems.

6. Location & Lifestyle:
Denver in all its Denverness. Worldclass skiing, hiking, etc. only a relatively short drive away. Sunny with seasons, low humidity. Hipster delights: breweries, bars, trendy food, ethnic restaurants, rock climbing, outdoorsy culture, ALL the young (white) liberals. Denver feels a bit like an airport to me: no strong sense of time or place and, increasingly crowded with “hipster cookie-cutter” vibes. Fair diversity in the city, strong refugee/immigrant population. I was told public schools weren’t great outside of Cherry Creek. Traffic and CoL have increased, but no big shocks if you’re used to large metros. Not walkable and no solid public transport. Bike lanes can be generous, but unfortunately a car is needed for this residency.

7. Salary & Benefits: Notable bits: $10/month healthcare ($40/month for whole family). Apparently salary was recently raised in an attempt to keep up with Denver’s rising costs. However, moonlighting remains on the low side and I believe residents are unable to moonlight until PGY3.

8. Program Strengths:
Denver
Rigor & Prestige
Strong diversity of experiences/electives/tracks
Research
Cool, down-to-earth people
PD is well-liked (“a resident’s PD”) and seems to value residents who are truly good people
Large Size

9. Potential Weaknesses:
Size
The Colorado Tax: will pay more and work harder for the chance to get your ski/mountain/brewery fix.
-CoL, traffic, lots of driving.
-Rigor
-An APD told an interviewee that most programs offer about the same training so just go where you’d really like to live. When asked about this, residents felt like this was generally true amongst academic programs of similar stature.

10. Overall Impression: My emotional access/story words for Colorado are Rockies & Role. The mountains are not just pretty landscape (though they are certainly that, too!), but a major magnet pulling people to the city. The mountains are largely where residents spend their free time and often influence residents to decide to stay on as faculty. The program could be considered *rocky* because of its rigor, but you will have a rock-strong foundation for your training. The opportunities at Colorado are fantastic, but you really have to do your own work to carve your own role. An APD said it best: this is a program for people who are hardworking and independent.

Reactions: 1 users
Drexel University

1. Ease of Communication: Contacted through ERAS, messaged back preferred date. Pretty easy.. They ask about dietary restrictions.

2. Accommodation & Food: No dinner night before, no hotel accommodations. Free parking at Friends Hospital off of Roosevelt Boulevard for the first half of the day, then some drove to Hahnemann Hospital, or some took a shuttle there. Parking validated in parking garage at Hahnemann, but beware it’s a little tricky to find (in an alleyway, but trust google maps). Morning breakfast of pastries, yogurt, fruit, coffee, juice, etc. Lunch at Friends was a catered box with sandwiches, chips and a brownie. You eat lunch over Grand Rounds, if one is scheduled for that day.

3. Interview Day:
-As mentioned above, day began at Friends Hospital, with a brief PowerPoint presentation about the program and a tour of the hospital.
-Individual interviews with faculty sprinkled throughout the day. I don’t want to comment too much on the interview styles as YMMV and they have a lot of different faculty present to interview, but I found mine conversational and pretty stress-free. For some, I felt like they didn’t read my application and just wanted me to ask them questions, and others were quite different with notes all over my application and specific questions. But whatever the style, it felt like a conversation, not an interrogation.
-Drawback is that scheduling of interviews will lead everyone with gaps throughout the day, but luckily in the morning these gaps coincide with resident lectures, so you can pop into whatever class you are interested in while you wait and the coordinator and various other helpful humans will find you to lead you to your next interview.

4. Program Overview:
PGY1: Your first year is split between 6 months at Friends Hospital on inpatient psych (4m inpatient adult and 2m CRC) and the other 6 months at Hahnemann doing medicine (4m) and neuro (2m).
PGY2: 3m inpatient psych, 3m psychiatric medical center unit (PMCU), 2m CL, 1m addiction, 1m geri, 2m CAP.
PGY3: Whole year of general outpatient psych.
PGY4: Outpatient psych, electives, inpatient chiefships (if applicable).
-Every Wednesday is ½ day of didactics at Friends.
-Grand Rounds typically on Wednesdays.

-A lot of the faculty (including PD) are graduates of the program themselves
-Even though there has been some shakeups (a new-ish PD, hospital bought out), the former PD is still on staff and seems very involved in resident education, and the program seems very stable.

6. Location & Lifestyle:
-Philadelphia, love it or hate it.
-I’m not a huge fan of Hahnemann Hospital – it’s older and the facilities aren’t the best. Contrast it with the beauty of Friends and it’s a pretty stark difference in aesthetics.
-Residents also rotate at Abington Hospital for inpatient psych, which is outside of the city and a completely different patient population.

7. Salary & Benefits:
PGY 1 $58,147
PGY 2 $59,813
PGY 3 $61,634
PGY 4 $64,13
Standard stuff for benefits. On-call meal allowance, decent vacation days, etc. Should be on their website/FREIDA.

8. Program Strengths:
-Friends is a beautiful, freestanding psychiatric hospital, founded on the belief in the healing power of the outdoors and sunlight, and it is truly a beautiful place to be.
-Differences of the three main hospitals means that you get to see a wide range of pathology in different populations (inner city/urban, as well as the more suburban population in Abington).
-Faculty have a reputation for being very good teachers, and they are invested in keeping the program strong.
-Very strong didactics – this was echoed throughout the day by various people, and seemed to be true from my brief snapshot.
-Depending on what you’re interested in, a lot of fellowship placement and good exposure to these subspecialties (child, geri, etc.).

9. Potential Weaknesses:
-Potentially a lack of research.
-Hahnemann Hospital is not the prettiest, and although some may view working with in-need urban populations as a strength of the program, I could also see why this might be a weakness to some.
-Unknown if there are changes in the works just due to Hahnemann changing hands, but it seems that any changes would be minor and the affiliations with various sites are strong.

10. Overall Impression:
In my mind, one of the strongest programs in Philly. It has great psychotherapy training, the residents seem very cohesive and supportive, and a lot of the faculty seem invested in keeping the program the best it can be. Research opportunities may not be the best – I am not the person to ask this, however, as I am not research-focused and this didn’t matter to me to ask about. Your opinion about the program will also depend on your feel of the city, and Philly has a lot to offer – residents live all over, so you can really pick your COL and ideal location (urban, suburbs) based on what you want.

University of New Mexico

10. Overall Impression: My emotional access/story words for UNM are Desert Revolution/Desert Mystics: this is a place for folks who are more interested in doing the good work of working with populations on the margin, rather than residing in Ivory Towers. A place for those who want to be surrounded by stunning natural landscapes in a diverse, livable city that has a deep sense of time, place, and culture.

Curious--do they talk at all about psychedelic research on interview day? Or possibility to work with Rick Strassman(I think he's still at UNM).

University of Colorado

Via email. The schedule included the names of faculty and residents we would meet with, however it changed up until it was actually time to interview. So you can only prep so much!

2. Accommodation & Food:
Brewery dinner the night before/after (depending on if you interview on Thurs or Fri). Apps and pizza provided, drinks on you. No set seats so good for mingling.

Meet the Chair & introductions, program overview w/ APD. Two 1hr interviews: one w/ a faculty member, one w/ a resident. Two 30min interviews: one w/ an APD, one w/ PD. Lunch w/ residents (sandwiches, chips, cookies. Asked dietary restrictions beforehand). Tour Denver Health & interview w/ a faculty member or resident (~45min) over there.

Some interviewers had clearly read my app and had talking points ready. Others kept it pretty open to my questions. Only one or two had pointed questions that seemed to be more directly evaluating me (e.g. what sort of pt is difficult for you to work with? What will be a struggle in residency?).

I found everyone very bright, grounded, sociable, reflective and unpretentious. Ranged from really happy folks to some who are perhaps lacking a bit in passion for program/psychiatry. Many relish the outdoors and cite ~Denver~ as a main reason (if not the SINGULAR reason) for ranking Colorado highly); those who don’t can feel a little out-of-sorts, it seems.

4. Program Overview
See website. Unique aspects:
Tracks (you can choose more than one)
-Child: Children’s is gorgeous and legit. No guaranteed admission to fellowship or to do peds/child neuro in PGY1 if too many in the class are vying for those opportunities. Often the residents want to stay in CO, but the Fellowship can’t necessarily accept them all so there can be friction.
-Research
-Psychotherapy
-Career: Between PGY3 & 4, you can work in the community. You get paid what an attending would be paid, but this stipend is spread out evenly between all your training years.

-This is a big program with a lot of residents and faculty, thus a Disneyland of opportunities for well-developed research/tracks/electives/projects, but you do need to ask for them. Once you ask, the floodgates shall open and riches lie within.
-One of the more unique electives is the LGBTQ+ clinic.
-Strong diversity of patients and setting: you will come out well-trained. Work in lots of different hospital systems so have to be down with lots of driving and lack of consistency (e.g. type of patients, attendings, staff, resources, EMR, etc).
-Very frequently “workhorse” and “rigorous” were used to describe PGY1, considering call and that psych residents are treated as IM/neuro residents when off-service. Many residents and alums-now-faculty feel the rigor resulted in terrific training, which I believe. Struck me as maybe a little bit of Stockholm Syndrome when I heard phrases like “I’m really glad for the training and wouldn’t have traded it just so I could have weekends off sometimes.”
-Residents feel the department is well-respected by other specialities and attribute this to their working alongside with IM/neuro as PGY1’s.

The new Chair is wow. Her research has basically been funded her whole career and she trained at and was faculty at Yale before starting a women’s behavioral health division at Penn. Super cool research at intersection of reproductive hormones and mental health. She wants to increase residents’ knowledge of neuroscience and train them as physicians with strong awareness of how the brain interacts with other organ systems.

6. Location & Lifestyle:
Denver in all its Denverness. Worldclass skiing, hiking, etc. only a relatively short drive away. Sunny with seasons, low humidity. Hipster delights: breweries, bars, trendy food, ethnic restaurants, rock climbing, outdoorsy culture, ALL the young (white) liberals. Denver feels a bit like an airport to me: no strong sense of time or place and, increasingly crowded with “hipster cookie-cutter” vibes. Fair diversity in the city, strong refugee/immigrant population. I was told public schools weren’t great outside of Cherry Creek. Traffic and CoL have increased, but no big shocks if you’re used to large metros. Not walkable and no solid public transport. Bike lanes can be generous, but unfortunately a car is needed for this residency.

7. Salary & Benefits: Notable bits: $10/month healthcare ($40/month for whole family). Apparently salary was recently raised in an attempt to keep up with Denver’s rising costs. However, moonlighting remains on the low side and I believe residents are unable to moonlight until PGY3.

8. Program Strengths:
Denver
Rigor & Prestige
Strong diversity of experiences/electives/tracks
Research
Cool, down-to-earth people
PD is well-liked (“a resident’s PD”) and seems to value residents who are truly good people
Large Size

9. Potential Weaknesses:
Size
The Colorado Tax: will pay more and work harder for the chance to get your ski/mountain/brewery fix.
-CoL, traffic, lots of driving.
-Rigor
-An APD told an interviewee that most programs offer about the same training so just go where you’d really like to live. When asked about this, residents felt like this was generally true amongst academic programs of similar stature.

10. Overall Impression: My emotional access/story words for Colorado are Rockies & Role. The mountains are not just pretty landscape (though they are certainly that, too!), but a major magnet pulling people to the city. The mountains are largely where residents spend their free time and often influence residents to decide to stay on as faculty. The program could be considered *rocky* because of its rigor, but you will have a rock-strong foundation for your training. The opportunities at Colorado are fantastic, but you really have to do your own work to carve your own role. An APD said it best: this is a program for people who are hardworking and independent.

University of Colorado

Agree with the review above with a few additions/changes

1. Ease of Communication: By email; coordinator was kind, approachable, responsive, and very easy to communicate with.

2. Accommodation & Food: No hotel accomodations. Pre-interview dinner was super laid back; held at a brew-pub. Dress however you would to go to a brew pub (jeans would be absolutely fine; you'll feel out of place if you dress too business-ey). Have a beer. Don't get drunk. Don't be a weirdo.

See above review for logistics. No questions from out of left field; very conversational, low stress.

4. Program Overview
- Big program with >200 faculty.
- Will train at multiple well regarded training sites.
- Tons of opportunities to pursue whatever aspects of psychiatry most interest you.
- Call heavy in PGY1; 1 mo night float, call ~2 weekends per month.
- Treated as IM intern while on medicine (so good medicine training but a challenging 4 months). Treated more like a Sub-I on Neuro (these are the easy months of intern year).

New chair has an impressive pedigree but is very new. She has not begun to make changes and did not disclose whether she had any big plans in mind. PD is well-liked and is caring of the residents. Was told by APD that as a resident at UC she was aware of a few instances where residents felt mistreated or were unhappy about something, that the PD worked hard to help resolve things, and that some good changes came about as a result. She said that people who behave like mature adults, who come forward with legitimate concerns and constructive criticism and are willing to engage in the process of change are well-recieved.

6. Location & Lifestyle:
Denver is a sprawling city and a car is needed. That said, the 3-4 mile radius around downtown is very walkable/bikeable; even more so given the climate. Awesome restaurants and bars. Great sports teams (if you like that kind of thing). Lots of entertainment venues/events in Denver and surrounding area (e.g. Red Rocks). Great place to stay/get in shape as many Coloradans are passionate about outdoor activities (although this appears to be changing somewhat as more Texans move to Colorado).

7. Salary & Benefits: Salary is commensurate with other programs (I would say middle of the road when considering salary and COL). Low cost health insurance: $10/month ($40/month family). Moonlighting pay is pretty low ($50/hour I think) and may not feel worth it (can moonlight as PGY3).

8. Program Strengths:
"Family-like" feel; residents attributed this to PD and his genuine care for trainees.
Diversity/strength of training sites (Childrens, Denver Health, VA, UCH +multiple other smaller sites/clinics). Not sure how many other programs have a metro area like Denver all to themselves.
Diversity of patient population: will see high socioeconomic and racial diversity.
Lots of of opportunities to tailor your training and pursue what you are most interested in. Lots of different tracks to participate in.
Strong psychotherapy training (if you want it) - associated with psychodynamic institute in Denver; lots of community psychiatrists like to be involved to provide supervision.
Lots of opportunity for research/program development: Creation of LGBTQ clininc was initiated by a resident's scholarly work.
Residents seem kind and down-to-earth.
Program takes its own for fellowships and faculty positions.
Quality of training (residents feel very competent/confidant upon graduation).
Climate/access to outdoor activities.

9. Potential Weaknesses:
- Sites are spread out which may hinder a sense of cohesiveness between residents.
- Program is felt to be on the rigorous side of psych (but is heavily front loaded).
- Despite being a relatively diverse place, Colorado has massive socioeconomic disparities between racial/ethnic groups.
- Cost of living: not as bad a coastal metropolises but getting there. Real estate values continue to rise as population continues to grow.
- Challenging social situations: lots of homeless people travel to Denver only to find out it is not an easy place to be homeless. Very few resources/social services available.
- Weird politics/tax laws. People describe the state as being libertarian but what they seem to mean is that people don't want to pay taxes in order to help those in need (although this seems to be changing as people continue to move here from other states).
- Denver Public Schools are meh. Colorado in bottom third of country for spending per pupil. Residents with school-aged children may need to spend more or commute to live near decent schools.
- Difficult to get restaurants to give you spicy food even when you ask for it (I think they get complaints from the people here who've never eaten anything more spicy than a potato).

10. Overall Impression: Hardworking but easy going residents and administration. Very collegial atmosphere (between admin, resident and faculty) in an environment that will let you pursue pretty much whatever you want within the field.

Curious--do they talk at all about psychedelic research on interview day? Or possibility to work with Rick Strassman(I think he's still at UNM).

Not mentioned, but would be super rad. His website says that he has returned and is currently faculty. In general, I don't think UNM was all about touting their faculty achievements---even though many are up to very cool work!

Members don't see this ad :)
They too scurred!!!

NO ONE will match this year!!!

Hopefully all the people switching from psych to ENT due to the intense competition will lessen the load.

/sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is there a way we can post anonymously?? :oops:

I'm not an applicant (just a lowly preclinical student), but I'd be willing to post anonymously for people if they PM me reviews.

Anything to get more reviews going!

I can post as well. But am I an undercover PD?

No.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Well since this is on the second page of the forum now and we've got a 2019 ROL thread going, I think this thread deserves a bump.

A very humble plea from a preclinical student to those currently on the interview trail:

I know it's busy, but please, please, pleaseeeeeeeeee post your reviews! It'll be so beneficial to us who are looking to the future to know what you've learned about different programs - what you liked or didn't like, what programs' strengths or weaknesses are, or even just what the food offerings are on interview day. It all helps, and it really does all matter. Please it forward so that we can continue the great residency interview tradition that's been developed in this corner of SDN!

Reactions: 2 users
Strongly second the above. This thread is lagging well behind what happened last year, and I know plenty of people have good intentions of submitting reviews after finalizing their rank lists, but these are so much more helpful when written fresh! And do not underestimate the pull of apathy and laziness after February, when all you want to do is relax/travel/not write paragraph long reviews of programs you only vaguely remember seeing 4 months ago. I'm sure lots of people benefited from the reviews I and many others wrote last year, so please pay it forward!

To people concerned about anonymity, I guarantee you that PDs have far too much on their plates to parse these threads to decipher the identity of reviewers so they can deviously plot their revenge on anyone who dares say anything negative about the program. If you're still super worried, people have offered to post reviews anonymously if you're concerned. I'm happy to do so as well

Reactions: 4 users
There's the main Psych spreadsheet from Reddit that has a lot of good reviews. Should just look there

Reactions: 4 users
The reviews from previous years were a goldmine and pretty spot-on. I happened to interview at places that were thoroughly reviewed already, except for a handful that I'll write up reviews for. Huge thanks to previous years' reviewers (who were probably residents that we met during interviews!), hope I can sufficiently pay it forward.

Boston University

Schedule via ERAS. Interview dates on Saturday and Thursday. I went on a Sat, so I can't speak to what happens on Thursdays.

2. Accommodation & Food:
Breakfast from au bon pain - standard bagels and coffee. Lunch catered from an italian place. Post-interview dinner was thai food and was at faculty's house which is walking distance away.

Day starts at 9 and goes til 5, and the dinner is from 5:30 to about 8 or so, or whenever you need to leave. Day starts with a powerpoint presentation from the PD, followed by a tour, and then 5 interviews (30 minutes each). These were standard interviews, no weird questions. Since there are like 15+ candidates per day and limited interviewers, there's a LOT of downtime. Like almost 3 hours of downtime. So bring a phone charger or a book... Since it was a Saturday I only met 5 residents, so I didn't get a good sense of resident life.

4. Program Overview:
The website has a boatload of information: Resident Rotations | Psychiatry

Big thing to note is that a lot of the rotations are at VA sites, and they are not convenient to get to. Bedford VA is in the 'burbs and if you don't have a car, then you can go by train and bus. Brockton is even farther and you need to take the commuter rail or an hour-long bus ride, though I heard something about the program reimbursing uber rides.

Strong faculty focus in addiction psych and global health. The new chair brought a lot of global health programs, including the NIMH T32 fellowship, and he says he plans to incorporate these things into residency opportunities.

6. Location & Lifestyle:
Lots have been said about Boston. I didn't get a good sense of resident's work/life balance since I didn't meet that many residents, but I heard that one resident was able to get paternity leave which is pretty good!

7. Salary & Benefits:
PGY-1 $61,367
PGY-2 $63,688
PGY-3 $66,682
PGY-4 $69,822
Salary negotiated by the resident union CIU so expecting a 2% increase next year. A previous reviewer said there's compensation if you cover someone's call, but I didn't hear/ask about that. Also, moonlighting starts PGY4 but it doesn't seem like a lot of residents do it, so either there's not too many opportunities or it doesn't compensate enough. Surprisingly, one of the attending I met said they moonlighted at BMC after graduating from residency, so either attendings are taking up residents' moonlighting shifts or residents aren't covering sufficiently... take that as you will.

8. Program Strengths:
+Addiction psych. Lots of research in addiction psych, faculty are nationally recognized in the field.
+Global health, via the new department chair. There's programs out there that boast about their global health opportunities, but very few are truly developed and backed by the program. (There were some programs where a resident does a global health rotation at a site they went to as a med student or undergrad, which means the resident did the heavy lifting in creating the international relationships and such.)
+Public health scholarship where you can get an MPH alongside training. I think you take classes through PGY3-4, tuition is covered.
+Because BMC is a safety net hospital, residents get to work with an underserved population that include refugees, uninsured, etc.

9. Potential Weaknesses:
-VA heavy training
-Rotations are not conveniently located so may require a car
-But also parking is expensive at BMC
-No child psych exposure until the Bournewood rotation in PGY2, which is also adolescent only, so there's little child psych experience until outpatient. It looks like plenty of BU residents go on to do child psych fellowships, including the current PD, so it doesn't sound like this program turns people off from child psych
-Limited moonlighting opportunities

10. Overall Impression:
Solid program with amazing addiction psych training (a resident joked that he doesn't need an addictions fellowship since he already had so much experience during training, and I believe that). One of the rare programs that have pre-existing global health opportunities, thanks to the new dept chief. New PD seems awesome and very engaging. I heard she was responsible for changing up the interview day so that it went from 30+ interviewees on a Saturday to 15+ on Sat/Thurs, which is already a huge improvement. It was hard to get a good sense of residency work life since there were more attendings than residents on a Saturday interview day, so I can't speak to the residency life and their thoughts on things like the call schedule. Check out their website which has a ton of information.

Strongly second the above. This thread is lagging well behind what happened last year, and I know plenty of people have good intentions of submitting reviews after finalizing their rank lists, but these are so much more helpful when written fresh! And do not underestimate the pull of apathy and laziness after February, when all you want to do is relax/travel/not write paragraph long reviews of programs you only vaguely remember seeing 4 months ago. I'm sure lots of people benefited from the reviews I and many others wrote last year, so please pay it forward!

To people concerned about anonymity, I guarantee you that PDs have far too much on their plates to parse these threads to decipher the identity of reviewers so they can deviously plot their revenge on anyone who dares say anything negative about the program. If you're still super worried, people have offered to post reviews anonymously if you're concerned. I'm happy to do so as well

100% agree, PDs are at the end of the day still physicians doing clinical work. When they go home , SDN isn't a common go to.

100% agree, PDs are at the end of the day still physicians doing clinical work. When they go home , SDN isn't a common go to.

Our PD doesn't even know what SDN is. While SDN is very likely the largest community of its type, I think people get overly worried about how frequently (or not) people like PDs actually read this forum. Doesn't mean that you shouldn't be wise about what you post publicly, but posting candid feedback that isn't overtly inflammatory is very unlikely to get you in any degree of trouble.

I'd say there's a 50/50 chance that the average trainee/physician has actually ever heard of SDN, much less spend any degree of time here.

University of Iowa

Scheduling was done through a proprietary system and was easy enough. Pre-interview communication was mostly done the week of the interview to detail hotel and dinner info. The interview schedule (and list of interviewers) was provided beforehand which was very nice.

2. Accommodation & Food:

One night of free lodging was provided at The Graduate, a cute hotel with an old-timey theme. They had a welcome gift box filled with locally-made goodies which was a really nice touch. Iowa City isn’t too difficult to get to by plane if you go through Cedar Rapids, which is only 30 minutes away. I would not recommend flying into Des Moines as it is around an hour and a half from Iowa City. Uber to Iowa City wasn’t too expensive (maybe around $20). The dinner was at a very nice restaurant near the hotel, which was accompanied by a walk through the city.

There was a hotel shuttle that picked up all the interviewees at around 7:45 a.m. and dropped us off at the hospital. I was really appreciative of this because the University Hospital is gargantuan and I would have struggled finding my way to the psychiatry department. Coffee and a light breakfast was provided.

The morning started off with an introduction by one of the chief residents, which was a description of the program, facilities, etc. The department chair came in and spoke to us a bit about her vision for the department over the next few years. If I recall correctly the chair was recently appointed to her position but has been with the department since residency. We then had a series of 4 interviews to close off the morning. My interviews were with the PD, associate PD, assistant PD, and PD for the CAP fellowship. All of them were very friendly, approachable, and kept the interviews conversational. I don’t think that I had any “hardball” questions. It was clear that all of them read my application in detail and wanted to talk to me about things they found intriguing

Lunch was at the cafeteria with other residents. The food was okay, nothing fancy but after how much I imagine they spent on the accommodation and pre-interview dinner I was completely fine with something low-key. The afternoon was mostly touring the facilities, including their inpatient units and outpatient offices. The highlight for me was seeing the newly built children’s hospital. It is gorgeous. They also took us over to where patients and their families sit when doing the “Iowa Wave” (look this up if you haven’t heard of it, it’s awesome).

The day concluded with some closing remarks from the chief resident and a 10 minute debrief with the PD. Just another opportunity to ask questions. There was a shuttle back to the hotel after the interview day.

4. Program Overview:

Listing mainly things I found unique regarding the clinical curriculum:

Off-service: Dedicated med-psych rotation (likely due to the colocation of the med/psych and FM/psych combined residencies at Iowa)

-dedicated eating disorders and ECT rotations during PGY2

-dedicated psychotherapy patients can be started as early as PGY2 year

-didactics are protected but they are held in 1 hour chunks throughout the week instead of one entire afternoon being blocked off for didactics. I am not sure how this would work out in practice but the residents said it has worked well for them as it helps them remain engaged during lectures.

Research is certainly a big focus of both the faculty and department. I did not get information on specific research the faculty is involved in, but Dr. Andreason is still around and has been a pioneer on schizophrenia research. The university also just received a $45 million grant to fund a new neuroscience institute where there will be a large amount of cutting-edge research. I'm not laser-focused on research so I did not ask too many detailed questions about this but there is definitely a strong research focus of the program.

6. Location & Lifestyle:

I wasn’t sure of what to expect from Iowa City, especially since it’s such a small city within an equally small state (population-wise). The city itself really took me by surprise. It is vibrant, far more progressive than I had given it credit for, and the people there were friendly. It absolutely does not have the feel of even a medium-sized city like Kansas City or Sacramento. The town is very much dominated by the university and hospital. I didn’t get a great idea of what the demographics of the city would be but it was not as overwhelmingly homogenous as I had imagined.

7. Salary & Benefits:

PGY-1
$56,500
PGY-2
$58,600
PGY-3
$60,600
PGY-4
$62,600

Health and dental insurance are also covered at no cost (meaning no premium) for one person. They are at shared cost for families with children but according to the website there is some sort of credit you can get to have it covered for your family.

8. Program Strengths:

-dedicated ECT block
-very strong med/psych integration
-very warm program leadership that seems receptive to changes
-increased focus on psychotherapy (something the program has traditionally been weak in)
-new CAP track opening up for 1-2 residents/year. You get accepted into the CAP fellowship from the beginning of residency if selected (you apply after matching)
-oodles of research opportunities if you are interested in that
-giant catchment area serving the entire state of Iowa and western Illinois
-great group of residents

9. Potential Weaknesses:

-c/l could be a potential weakness here. Transplant evaluations are primarily done by psychologists and the psychiatrists/residents don’t have as much involvement if you are specifically interested in transplant psych. No fellowship but they are working on it (PD is trained in c/l).
-the city is not close to a major airport, though cedar rapids is relatively close. This could make flights to other smaller cities tricky and require multiple connecting flights
-didactic organization may not be to everyone's liking

10. Overall Impression:
Hidden gem of a program located in a quiet and quaint town that is surprisingly progressive. The program was one of my biggest surprises during the interview trail.

9. Potential Weaknesses:
-c/l could be a potential weakness here. Transplant evaluations are primarily done by psychologists and the psychiatrists/residents don’t have as much involvement if you are specifically interested in transplant psych. No fellowship but they are working on it (PD is trained in c/l).
I would expect that the C/L education would be quite good here. james amos is a highly respected c/l psychiatry educator who is on faculty there. the PD is not c/l trained but is a c/l psychiatrist and it bodes very well that he's now the PD and the previous PD had some wacky ideas and was overly biologically focused. Most psychiatry residents do not get any (meaningful) experience with transplant psychiatry, though I am sure if you have a particular interest at programs that are major transplant centers you can try to get more exposure even if that means working with the psychologists. in my transplant program, psychologists did not do transplant evals because often they wanted medication recommendations, but we worked collaboratively with them for psychological and neuropsychological testing where indicated. at many programs psychologists are the ones who do the transplant evaluations and you could certainly learn a thing or two from a seasoned psychologist.

I would expect that the C/L education would be quite good here. james amos is a highly respected c/l psychiatry educator who is on faculty there. the PD is not c/l trained but is a c/l psychiatrist and it bodes very well that he's now the PD and the previous PD had some wacky ideas and was overly biologically focused. Most psychiatry residents do not get any (meaningful) experience with transplant psychiatry, though I am sure if you have a particular interest at programs that are major transplant centers you can try to get more exposure even if that means working with the psychologists. in my transplant program, psychologists did not do transplant evals because often they wanted medication recommendations, but we worked collaboratively with them for psychological and neuropsychological testing where indicated. at many programs psychologists are the ones who do the transplant evaluations and you could certainly learn a thing or two from a seasoned psychologist.

Thank you for correcting me and also providing some more info. That actually makes me feel quite a bit better about the C/L exposure. Dr. Thompson is great. Not sure who the prior PD was but Dr. Thompson seems very resident focused and has made many changes based on resident requests. The Associate PD, Dr. Crocker, trained on the west coast and is helping to beef up the psychotherapy there. She is also wonderful.

The reason I bring up transplants is because I received some exposure to it on a rotation. I loved the experience and would like to be involved in learning more during residency. That was the information I was given by current residents of the program. And I absolutely agree that psychologists have equal value in providing educational opportunities during residency. Definitely did not intend to demean the work of our colleagues, just state that this particular sub-specialty is more on the psychology side, but Dr. Thompson is working to make it more collaborative.

As an aside, grateful to have other people chime in on programs (thank you @splik). I’ll be posting more reviews but these take a lot of time haha.

Bump, because rank lists are now submitted and this thread has been pretty dead.

Mount Sinai Beth Israel - Manhattan NYC

Scheduling was done through ERAS with many dates available. Pre-interview dinners were not available for all dates, but the dates that dinners were available were clearly communicated and we were told to email the residents for access. Communication was clear.

2. Accommodation & Food:

There were no hotel accommodations. I chose to stay with a friend on the Upper East Side and take the train down to MSBI. I had a <10 minute walk from the subway. You can fly into any of the NYC area airports, and I'd recommend staying close to MSBI or somewhere close to a subway.

Food at the pre-interview social was limited, but I chose to eat out before anyway. It was more of a bar atmosphere.

Food on interview day was fantastic, and my dietary restriction was accommodated.

Before interviews, there was a good introduction and powerpoint from the PD. Light breakfast and coffee was provided. We met several residents in between interviews and during the lunchtime social.

There were 3 half hour interviews, all of which were fairly typical without any memorable odd questions. They all seemed to have at least looked at my application. All interviewees have a "closing interview" with the program director which is separate, and this was an awkward waiting point for some applicants. The PD seems to meet with the interviewers during the lunch, etc. to get an overall picture of the applicant before meeting with the applicants. I'm not sure if he met with any privately prior to this.

Interviews may be in different buildings or parts of the building, but there is a good map and the residents/faculty were helpful with this.

We had a decent tour of the different facilities and walked in between a few different buildings on the relatively small campus.

4. Program Overview:

MSBI hospital overall is downsizing, but its behavioral health services are increasing in size/scope. Impressive academic (didactic) curriculum.

PGY1- 4 months gen medicine, 7 months inpatient general psychiatry, 2 months night float with time for vacation/psych ER.
PGY2- C/L, ECT/Geriatrics, Neuro, Addiction, Psych ER/ACT Team, night float, electives.
PGY3- Outpatient psych (adult and child)
PGY4- Senior rotation for 6 months, plus variety of electives.
Many fast track into child. The child program is administered amongst all the Mt Sinai hospitals.

Wide variety of cases, friendly to psychotherapy, friendly to research, friendly to fast tracking into child.

Of note, Mt Sinai Beth Israel is one of the only programs in the country with a Transgender Psychiatry fellowship, which assists patients going through emotional/medical/surgical transitions of gender with their mental well being. This is not an ACGME recognized specialty.

The statistics they gave us showed that 60% of graduates went on to fellowship, many at top institutions.

Fellowships at MSBI:
Addiction
C/L
Geriatrics
Transgender Psychiatry

Fellowships at Mt Sinai Main: child

I honestly don't know a ton about this, or remember, but I was impressed by the faculty lineup.

6. Location & Lifestyle:

This is Manhattan New York City. Some won't like NYC, but if you like big cities this is a great location to be in. You have access to some of the country's best food, arts, nightlife, and more. The vast majority of residents do not own cars, and take the train or walk to work. there is subsidized housing if you prefer. Manhattan is expensive, but much more doable with a partner or roommate.

7. Salary & Benefits:

PGY-1 starts at nearly 70k (increase of 7k above previous year). We were not updated about PGY2 and after. For reference, the outdated numbers they gave us read PGY1 at 63.5k to PGY5 at 76k. I would imagine PGY5 is more in the 80s now.

I don't remember details on the other benefits.

8. Program Strengths:

-Ties to Icahn school of medicine
-New York City
-Access to psychoanalytic institutes
-Involvement with APA/other organized psychiatry leadership opportunities
-Research opportunities
-Diverse patient population
-Good work-life balance
-Happy residents
-Transgender psychiatry program/LGBTQ patients in general

9. Potential Weaknesses:

-Manhattan is expensive
-Residents complained about the EMR, which is supposedly changing

10. Overall Impression:
Impressive program in one of the most desirable cities in the world to some. Many opportunities for fellowship training, academic positions or private practice. Residents seem very happy, fulfilled and graduates have wonderful opportunities for careers.

Samaritan Mental Health Psychiatry Residency Program
Corvallis, Oregon

Initial invitation through ERAS as well as traditional email. Scheduling done over email (they ask you to provide your preferences within their list of dates). Very prompt communication.

2. Accommodation & Food:

Great pre-interview dinner at a pizza joint in downtown. Paid for us to get cafeteria food on interview day, which was cheap (plus for being a resident). No provided hotel, etc. Free parking at the interview site.

There was a one-hour residency program overview with the PD/APD/coordinator, followed by a mix of 8 (yes, 8) half hour interviews. I thought this was far too much, but there were upsides. I had meetings with the program director, associate program director, multiple faculty members, 2 residents and the chief resident. Some of which was more for you to ask questions rather than be asked.
You have a one hour lunch with the residents, including the time to purchase your meal.
There was a tour at the end of the day. If I recall correctly my day ended around 3:00.

4. Program Overview:

Former DO program, participating only in NRMP match, has a mix of MDs/DOs on faculty and residents. Has a combined adult/child match that was offered for us to rank as well. Nonprofit network of hospitals and clinics in the Willamette valley of Oregon. This is about an hour south of Portland. This network of hospitals services about 200,000 people across 3 counties. You spend the vast majority of your time at the Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center in Corvallis or other nearby hospitals/clinics. Some rotations at a residential services practice for addiction, Oregon State Hospital for geriatrics and forensics, Kaiser Portland for ECT/TMS/VNS.

PGY1- 3 blocks inpatient IM, 1 block outpatient IM, 1 block EM, 2 blocks inpt/outpt neuro, 1 block outpatient FM, 5 blocks inpatient psych
PGY2- 3 blocks adolescent psych, 1 block forensic psych, 3 blocks C/L, 1 block Geriatric, 3 blocks inpatient psych, 2 blocks addiction. 4 hours per week of outpatient psychiatry.
PGY3- (in full time equivalents) 3 blocks community psych/county mental health, 1 block emergency psych, 9 blocks outpatient psych.
PGY4- outpatient psych, some time for required research, outpatient C/L, 6 blocks of electives.

Significant psychodynamic psychotherapy exposure.
Administrative psychiatry opportunities.
Significant supervision of psychotherapy and med management.
Regular case conferences, grand rounds, etc. Every resident is supposed to participate in a QI project as well as another formal scholarly activity, such as a case report, research project, or other projects.

Not sure of all the accomplishments, but the training director used to be their CAP fellowship director and is switching over to the full adult residency.
Fairly diverse experiences among faculty.

6. Location & Lifestyle:

This is Corvallis, Oregon which is the home of Oregon State University. It is very much a "college town" about an hour south of Portland, Oregon. Residents have a fantastic work-life balance and seem happy. There are great restaurants and breweries in the town. There is plenty of time to go to the Oregon Coast or Portland, etc. Closest airports are in Eugene and Portland, which is much larger.

Close to hiking, lots of local sports/bike races/kayaking, etc. Nice river that runs through downtown.
It is not an incredibly diverse town on its own, at least from first glance, but the student population from OSU is quite diverse and there are student mental health opportunities. The area is highly educated. Lots of green energy. Mild climate.

7. Salary & Benefits:

Salary is relatively low, starting at 51k, but the cost of living in this area is quite low. Child fellows get 61k.
Many benefit plans.
20 days of leave each year, easy to take long weekends, etc.
iPad, Step 3 reimbursement, educational stipend, membership dues for organizations.

8. Program Strengths:

-Great location if you are into the outdoors
-Tight-knit residents
-Cheap COL
-Great work/life balance
-Access to great electives
-Early outpatient exposure
-Significant therapy training
-Nearby psychoanalytic institute
-Opportunity to be involved in advocacy
-CAP fellowship

9. Potential Weaknesses:

-Community oriented program
-Less diverse patient population
-Salary (but cheap COL)
-Not in a major city
-Not sure of placements into other fellowships

10. Overall Impression:
Great program for lifestyle and location. Broad exposure to psychiatry and psychotherapy. Will feel prepared after residency. I could definitely see myself being happy there! Just not in one of the most desirable location for city-lovers.

P.S. I'm happy to post anyone's reviews for them if they still want to be anonymous. Just DM me.

Came back to offer info for this year's applicants. Thought I was too late, but then I saw this thread was dead. :laugh:

Tufts Medical Center

1. Ease of Communication: invite sent via email and ERAS and scheduled via email.

2. Accommodation & Food: Pre-interview held at a “fancy” dinner type place. Everyone got to order a meal of their choice. Numerous residents of varying years were present (maybe 6 or 7?)

Tea, coffee and snacks available throughout day. Boxed lunches

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): The day is set up such that one set of interviewees comes in from 7:45-2Pm or 10:45-4PM. Groups overlap for lunch and 1 hr case formulation. I chose to come in later but there was no obvious difference in what is covered. There were 2 faculty interviews, 1 resident interview and 15 min meeting with PD.

No unusual questions per say but one faculty interviewer seemed really not interested in interviewing and thus our interview concluded early after I had asked multiple questions.

6. Location & Lifestyle: there seemed to be a good work-life balance

8. Program Strengths: in Boston, PD cares about residents, residents were nice. Faculty is mostly psychodynamically trained hence that is a big part of the curriculum.

9. Potential Weaknesses:

- there was a continued emphasis on “we focus on clinical care” and it felt as though they thought engagement in research was an impediment to being a good clinician.

- residents kept emphasizing how they are a small program and that I had to be sure that I would be ok with that.

-“Laid back” culture to me felt very unintentional and kind of too loosey goosey

- Some residents mentioned medical students write notes for them and to me that was not a strength.

10. Overall Impression:

- PD was very nice and seems very dedicated to residents but there was an overall laissez-faire feel that was not for me.

- Did not really feel academic to me.

- Small faculty and exposure seems limited.

- Residents were nice and liked their program and the laid back culture of it.

- Ended up not ranking it because all I really liked about the program was the PD.

- Very limited / to no research opportunities

Baystate

1. Ease of Communication: scheduled interview through interview broker

2. Accommodation & Food: No pre-interview dinner or accommodation. Tea and coffee available in the morning. Lunch was not my fave at all and appeared to have been catered by the cafeteria. This was strange given the fact that there were only 3 interviewees. Lunch however, was well attended by residents (8-10) and they were nice and get along well with each other. Many seemed to have had some ties to Baystate (i.e did some med school rotations there).

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): Interview started around 8 and ended around 1:30/2. There were only 2 other interviewees. The day started with us sitting in a waiting room followed by a discussion about the program with the APD. This was also followed by a talk with the PD.

There was a total of 4 interviews (2 with faculty and 2 with PD and APD). All of the interviews were mostly conversational. The one with the APD had a bit more of structured/behavioral questions. I thoroughly enjoyed my conversations particularly with the PD. Interviews were in the morning, followed by lunch and a tour. The PC was very nice and helped direct people.

6. Location & Lifestyle: seemed to be a good work-life balance. Springfield was not really my cup of tea but it’s apparently diverse and is close to other cities. COL seemed varied based on where people live (i.e north Hampton is more of a college town and more expansive). Salary starts around 70K so definitely not bad.

8. Program Strengths: Some opportunities for research (ex. Palliative psychiatry among end stage renal patients). PD was dedicated and wants to build up the program.

- women’s mental health clinic

9. Potential Weaknesses:

- less variety of clinic options but PD mentioned residents can have other experiences in other treatment facilities.

- Space seemed limited and did not enjoy having to sit through the intro discussions in someone’s office.

10. Overall Impression:

- PD was very nice and definitely one of the more in-depth conversations I have had on the trail.

- It felt like a “generic” program without anything standing out to me

- some limited research opportunities

- residents were nice and liked each other but not really my vibe.

- They seem open to IMGs and have mentioned of some alumni doing cool research work in global mental health through Harvard

- Kind of hated that there was no pre-interview dinner or an even decent lunch

- I probably would should have cancelled this interview based on what I was looking for in programs but I think this program will provide adequate training but I want quite a bit more from a program.

- Did not rank them but I definitely enjoyed the faculty I talked to and I think they are dedicated to resident education

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell at Zucker Hillside Hospital Program

Via ERAS. Easy. Coordinator sent an email ahead of time with brief overview of schedule but was not given specifics about which faculty members I would be interviewing with. They also sent an email 1-2 weeks before interview date asking about specific areas of interest so as to better match faculty with interviewees.

2. Accommodation & Food:
No accommodations provided. Dinner the night before was at a cute restaurant near the hospital - shared appetizers/entrees that had been pre-selected off the menu and program also covered one alcoholic beverage. Good attendance by residence, with representation from each of the different classes. They rotate what chiefs attend dinner so that chief at dinner would not be same chief that interviewed next day. Usual spread of breakfast options the next day (bagels, fruit, muffins, coffee etc.) and lunch was delicious assortment of sandwiches and salads. Cookies and other baked goods during wrap up session.

Five interviews total, 2 30 min interviews with faculty members, 1 30 min interview with chief resident, and 2 15 min interview with PD and aPD. Day started with opening remarks from PD who is a very interesting/accomplished person, followed by basic overview of the program (sorry don’t remember too much about what exactly was covered but pretty general). Then interviews followed by lunch, tour of the facilities, then wrap up session with some higher up administrator in the department who talked about the future of healthcare (talk was very long-winded but think the point he was trying to make was that it is advantageous to work within a larger health care system ie, Zucker/Hillside is part of Northwell Health which is the largest provider of medical services in New York).

Interviews were very friendly and conversational, mostly asked questions about different parts of my application depending on what they found interesting. It was clear that they had reviewed my application in great detail prior to the interview which was nice. There was one behavioral question that was asked by several interviewers but it was not super challenging to come up with a reasonable answer.

Good resident attendance at lunch. Hospital is beautiful. I mean, seriously beautiful. We toured both Zucker Hillside (stand alone psych facility) as well as LIJ/North Shore which is basically right next door. The psych hospital has 200+ beds with special floors for psychotic d/o, mood d/o, geriatrics, first episode, adolescents, and probably others I can’t remember. The hospital was completely re-done sometime in the last decade so everything is very spacious and new looking. Psych floors have indoor basketball courts, sunrooms… it’s all very fancy.

4. Program Overview
Per PD, they keep the website very up-to-date, so refer there for specific details. Thing that stuck out for me were:
- Up to 4 months elective time PGY2 with many personalized tracks (women’s health, research etc.) should you want to join one
- They have a great research track for those who are interested in research but don’t necessarily want a research career
- Huge ETC center, one of the biggest in the country
- Very strong college mental health/first episode program, which if I remember correctly is partially state funded

They have some pretty well funded NIH grants studying first episode. Schizophrenia research seems to be there strongest domain with faculty such as John Kane, but I’m sure there is lots more going on as the place had a pretty solid academic feel.

6. Location & Lifestyle:
Hospital is in a pretty suburban area. Seems residents are pretty spread out between on-campus housing, different areas in queens (astoria, long island city) and some even live in Brooklyn or Manhattan. My understanding is that there is a subway stop relatively close to the hospital (about 10 min drive, definitely not walking distance) that can get you into the city but I wouldn’t exactly call it convenient.

7. Salary & Benefits:
Laid out on website, but salaries definitely on higher side. If I remember correctly, PGY1 started at 72K. Also apparently great subsidized housing (based on resident word of mouth, but didn’t actually see it on interview day). Think 1 bedrooms were about $1,100/month.

8. Program Strengths:
- PD seemed great; came off as very genuine and thoughtful; also is kind of a rockstar (both literally and figuratively)
- One of my favorite group of residents, genuinely enjoyed the pre-interview dinner
- Very flexible curriculum which up to 4 months of elective time PGY2
- Seemed like pretty good psychotherapy training and supervision
- Research track seemed great for people who enjoy research but aren’t aiming for research careers per se
- Thought the clinical training opportunities seemed fantastic, great exposure to different subspecialties and first episode
- Close to NYC and probably doable to commute from livelier areas given it would be a reverse commute
- Good diversity of patients given location borders Queens and Long Island (the latter providing exposure to a more affluent population)
- Lots of in house fellowships (except forensics)

9. Potential Weaknesses:
- Location not the best, very suburban, residents spread out across the different burrows
- NYC area is expensive
- Lacks name brand recognition, most people outside of psychiatry have never heard of the hospital
- No forensic fellowship but aPD used to be the forensic fellowship director at Monte so I’m such opportunities for exposure exist

10. Overall Impression:
Honestly, I really loved this place. I got such a great vibe on interview day and genuinely enjoyed almost all the conversations I had with different residents and faculty. I think the clinical training looks excellent in terms of breadth while also allowing you to develop your own interests with tons of elective time. If you can get past the pretty boring suburban location, I don’t think you can go wrong here!