2018 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I noticed for one of the requirements its says: Documentation of Legal U.S. Residency, if applicable.
Would that mean we need to provide any documentation of US citizenship like DL or Passport?

You only need to upload something if you are a legal US resident and not a citizen. (Example: you immigrated here).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there is a page limit for the resume? Should it be 1 page or is 2 pages ok??

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there is a page limit for the resume? Should it be 1 page or is 2 pages ok??

I read last years forum of 2017 and someone did mention to use the resume builder.

I submitted my application a few hours ago. To the people on this forum, thanks for sharing your advice with stage 1! Good luck to everyone applying!

Also, I found this video on youtube from a PHAP alum that might be a lil helpful:

Reactions: 3 users
Just submitted my application today. I am very excited and nervous as well! But I wish all of us good luck and a successful journey!

Has anyone else had trouble with USA Jobs not allowing them to upload their documents? I've gotten "something isn't right" several times now...

Has anyone else had trouble with USA Jobs not allowing them to upload their documents? I've gotten "something isn't right" several times now...

I did not have trouble but I also submitted a few days ago, so something could have happened with the site since then. Is the file size too big perhaps? The site can also be finicky so maybe wait until tonight to try again.

Anyone else not able to fax their School Verification form? I couldn't get the number provided to connect. I attached a digital scan of the form when I submitted my application, just nervous since a few people on here said they only accept fax.

I uploaded my documents about 3 hours ago, no problem at all.

I wish I had seen this forum before submitting my app yesterday! I had considered the resume builder, but figured there wasn’t a difference in the end.

Would it affect anything to do my resume through the builder and resubmit my application?

I wish I had seen this forum before submitting my app yesterday! I had considered the resume builder, but figured there wasn’t a difference in the end.

Would it affect anything to do my resume through the builder and resubmit my application?

I feel like the PDF one will be fine! They wouldn’t give the option to upload one if they weren’t going to consider it :)

I would hesitate to resubmit an application because having two applications might mean both are invalid.

I feel like the PDF one will be fine! They wouldn’t give the option to upload one if they weren’t going to consider it :)

I would hesitate to resubmit an application because having two applications might mean both are invalid.

I’ve applied to jobs through this site before and have updated information before the closing date. If you don’t need to update anything as rap15 said your pdf version is fine! Updating your application doesn’t mean you’re submitting two and won’t invalidate your submission either. Your documents haven’t been processed yet and the closing date is on Monday so as long as everything is correct and your USA jobs status says it’s recieved then you’re set!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in India studying abroad until the 10th and can in no way get in contact with my school registar :( does anyone know if the school verification form needs to be submitted BY 1/8??? or can we do after?

hello did any of you guys get an email confirmation after you submitted? I just sent in my application but no confirmation?

hello did any of you guys get an email confirmation after you submitted? I just sent in my application but no confirmation?

Yes, I received an email confirmation pretty soon after I submitted my application.

Here's what I got:

Application for Public Health Advisor- CDC Public Health Associate Program for Recent Graduates, HHS-CDC-RG-18-******** was Received

Dear _____ _____,

This is to inform you the application submitted forPublic Health Advisor- CDC Public Health Associate Program for Recent Graduates with OSTLTS, Office of the Director has been received.

To ensure you receive consideration for this position, read and follow all instructions outlined in the announcement.

We will assess your qualifications based upon the responses you provided in the questionnaire, as well as, all supporting documentation submitted with your application package. When this evaluation is complete, you will be notified of the results with another e-mail message.

If you would like to check the status of this or any other application, log into your USAJOBS account and review the Applications area.

Thank you for your interest in Federal employment withCenters for Disease Control and Prevention.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL MESSAGE. IT IS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED.

Regarding the questionnaire, since I am an undergrad I haven't had many jobs but I've responded the questions based on experiences I have had such as doing undergrad research. For example, if I say that I have experience with analyzing data, would it be appropriate to say I have done it under a supervisor if I performed research with a professor? Or does it only count if I have had an actually job that required me to do that?

Hi everyone! Quick question on the application. If I'm a current senior, what do I answer for, on the Eligibilities page:

Are you a recent graduate who has, within the previous two years, completed a qualifying Associate's, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate, professional, vocational or technical degree or certificate program?

Are you eligible for the Recent Graduates Program? To be eligible for this developmental experience program, recent graduates must apply within two years of degree or certificate completion (except for certain eligible veterans). The Program lasts for 1 year (unless the training requirements of the position warrant a longer and more structured training program).
By the time the program starts, I will have graduated... but like right now I'm not a recent graduate. The link doesn't clarify. I don't want to make myself ineligible or lie lol. Any thoughts?

I'm in India studying abroad until the 10th and can in no way get in contact with my school registar :( does anyone know if the school verification form needs to be submitted BY 1/8??? or can we do after?

I believe they do need the verification form by 1/8/ since it is part of the required documents. Try emailing or calling them.

Regarding the questionnaire, since I am an undergrad I haven't had many jobs but I've responded the questions based on experiences I have had such as doing undergrad research. For example, if I say that I have experience with analyzing data, would it be appropriate to say I have done it under a supervisor if I performed research with a professor? Or does it only count if I have had an actually job that required me to do that?

I have taken a exam like this before and it could be from any field such as school, work, internship, volunteer, etc.

Working on my application now, just finishing up my resume - for the questionnaire, is it multiple choice or are they looking for long-form answers? I spent 3 days dealing with getting my international degree verified so I'm concerned about if that messed up my timing... Thanks!

Hi everyone! Quick question on the application. If I'm a current senior, what do I answer for, on the Eligibilities page:

Are you a recent graduate who has, within the previous two years, completed a qualifying Associate's, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate, professional, vocational or technical degree or certificate program?

Are you eligible for the Recent Graduates Program? To be eligible for this developmental experience program, recent graduates must apply within two years of degree or certificate completion (except for certain eligible veterans). The Program lasts for 1 year (unless the training requirements of the position warrant a longer and more structured training program).
By the time the program starts, I will have graduated... but like right now I'm not a recent graduate. The link doesn't clarify. I don't want to make myself ineligible or lie lol. Any thoughts?

I had the same question about that. Does someone know how to respond to this?

I am in the same boat and i answered yes, because I am assuming they mean once you start the job, you’ll be a recent grad. Hope I assumed correctly!

Working on my application now, just finishing up my resume - for the questionnaire, is it multiple choice or are they looking for long-form answers? I spent 3 days dealing with getting my international degree verified so I'm concerned about if that messed up my timing... Thanks!

They are multiple choice selections! The final section shouldn't take you more than 10-15 minutes.

Good luck, everyone! And thanks to all of those who have already been helpful in the process. It's good to have others to talk with. Anyone else feel like they've built up this program so much in their mind that they were almost too scared to apply? And any idea of when people will be contacted if they make it to the next round? :xf:

I had the same question about that. Does someone know how to respond to this?

I got an answer! I called CDC this morning, and they said if you're graduating in May, to answer "no" to the first question and "yes" to the second. In other words, you're not a recent graduate at the time of application, but you will be eligible for the Recent Graduates program. I hope this makes sense!

I got an answer! I called CDC this morning, and they said if you're graduating in May, to answer "no" to the first question and "yes" to the second. In other words, you're not a recent graduate at the time of application, but you will be eligible for the Recent Graduates program. I hope this makes sense!

I already sent in my application, and answered yes to both, so I hope this doesn’t affect anything! Not sure what to do now :(

I already sent in my application, and answered yes to both, so I hope this doesn’t affect anything! Not sure what to do now :(

I mean, I wouldn't worry too much about it! How to answer was completely non-obvious, lol, and the next page asked about your enrollment status anyway.

Good luck everyone!

You can update your application. It’s okay to submit more than one time. The most recent application will be time stamped and that will be the one considered.

Gah! My school tried faxing the verification form on Friday and it wouldn't go through and when they tried today it didn't go through, either. I called the PHAP number and they told me I could upload it, so now I'm scrambling to get someone to email me a signed digital copy before they leave for the day :help:

Gah! My school tried faxing the verification form on Friday and it wouldn't go through and when they tried today it didn't go through, either. I called the PHAP number and they told me I could upload it, so now I'm scrambling to get someone to email me a signed digital copy before they leave for the day :help:
What number did you call? I couldn't get through to anyone and my school tried faxing the form friday and today but can't get through? Do you think it's okay to just upload it?

What number did you call? I couldn't get through to anyone and my school tried faxing the form friday and today but can't get through? Do you think it's okay to just upload it?
Did you get a response on this?

Did you get a response on this?
No sorry, I think I'm just gonna have to upload it and hope for the best at this point though. My school sent me the PDF form with proof they tried to send it multiple times.

Sorry for the delay, I was deep in scramble mode. Pure nerd adrenaline. Just got done. I called the number listed on the job posting (CDC Help Desk # 770-488-1725) and was told that I could upload the school verification form. It was a mess, but now I can officially say I'm done. Bummer to hear you guys went through a similar thing.

I get that the verification form might be new this year and therefore buggy, but the form not even going through via fax? Come on... :annoyed:

Hello,
First time user on this site but I've been following the forums for awhile. I just submitted my application, I'm on the West Coast so it's around 6PM on the East Coast. Pretty nervous about this whole process since it's very long and I do not have much, if any, PH experience. I recently finished undergrad but it's been very difficult finding a job with just a bachelors. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive a email? I submitted but it just says received on the USAJobs portal. I'm hoping I will be able to participate in this program to gain new skills and experience. I'm also planning on applying to grad school in case this doesn't work out. But I'm feeling very nervous!

Hello,
First time user on this site but I've been following the forums for awhile. I just submitted my application, I'm on the West Coast so it's around 6PM on the East Coast. Pretty nervous about this whole process since it's very long and I do not have much, if any, PH experience. I recently finished undergrad but it's been very difficult finding a job with just a bachelors. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive a email? I submitted but it just says received on the USAJobs portal. I'm hoping I will be able to participate in this program to gain new skills and experience. I'm also planning on applying to grad school in case this doesn't work out. But I'm feeling very nervous!

I’m in the same boat as you as well! We won’t be hearing anything back really until middle and end or February for eligibility and into March for submission of personal statements. Really it’s just a big waiting game so be patient and good luck!

I’m in the same boat as you as well! We won’t be hearing anything back really until middle and end or February for eligibility and into March for submission of personal statements. Really it’s just a big waiting game so be patient and good luck!

The length of this process is one of the worst parts!!! Such is life with the federal government, I suppose.

Just submitted my application - good luck everyone! Like many of you, I'm really hoping to participate in this program, too. I have my MPH and have some pretty decent public and global health experience, but it's mainly international and a little on the administrative side, so I'm looking forward to the opportunity to get more direct, hands on training and experience. I also hope that this may lead to a good career, whether it's with CDC or with a local non-profit/NGO.

I got zero sleep last night, so I'm going to try and crash out tonight. I hope you all have a good night and try to relax a bit, too!

Hi everyone! First time applicant, but definitely a hardcore stalker to these forums. :laugh: I just wanted to say hello and wish everyone good luck throughout the seemingly long process ahead of us!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! Submitted my app on the 2nd so I'm super excited/anxious, I graduate in May so it would be really great if I got accepted to this program! i actually just wanted to clear something up- I am studying abroad at the moment and was really worried about the student enrollment certification form (there's no way id have access to a printer/scanner within the deadline, so all I had was a form i got from my school's website with my graduation date and official stamp and everything, but not the one USAJOBS provided). I emailed the CDC's HR and I was told that if people are unable to get the USAJOBS form faxed over for any reason, another certification would be accepted! I checked my app status and everything is received/processed, so I just wanted to let people know that if they had any issues, as long as they submitted a certification they should be good to go!

Anyone else get, "You are tentatively eligible for this series/grade combination based on your self-rating of your qualifications." emailed to them today?

Anyone else get, "You are tentatively eligible for this series/grade combination based on your self-rating of your qualifications." emailed to them today?

Yes! And I have to admit it made me freak out at first!

Yes! And I have to admit it made me freak out at first!
I don't remember getting the same notification last year! They are switching things up. o_O

I also received this email! Anyone know what it means?

Hi everyone,

I actually received the same email. I’m not sure what it means, I’m hoping for something positive.

Hi everyone,

I actually received the same email. I’m not sure what it means, I’m hoping for something positive.
It means that based on the computer software and your answers to the questionnaire, you a quilified to apply for the position. Now a person will look at your resume, questionnaire etc to verify qualifications. Last year, emails about being selected for part two were early March. don't fret too much. There is a lot of wait time, and it is best to keep busy, but keep an eye on emails!

It means that based on the computer software and your answers to the questionnaire, you a quilified to apply for the position. Now a person will look at your resume, questionnaire etc to verify qualifications. Last year, emails about being selected for part two were early March. don't fret too much. There is a lot of wait time, and it is best to keep busy, but keep an eye on emails!

Great! Thank you so much for the information.

Hey guys! Submitted my app on the 2nd so I'm super excited/anxious, I graduate in May so it would be really great if I got accepted to this program! i actually just wanted to clear something up- I am studying abroad at the moment and was really worried about the student enrollment certification form (there's no way id have access to a printer/scanner within the deadline, so all I had was a form i got from my school's website with my graduation date and official stamp and everything, but not the one USAJOBS provided). I emailed the CDC's HR and I was told that if people are unable to get the USAJOBS form faxed over for any reason, another certification would be accepted! I checked my app status and everything is received/processed, so I just wanted to let people know that if they had any issues, as long as they submitted a certification they should be good to go!
I'm curious to see how this works out for you, as I got my MPH from a foreign uni, too. I was told that I had to go through a verification service, and it was a total hassel which set me back three days (of 6, right? So a lot). When I talked to CDC HR, they said that simply sending in a copy of my transcripts that were stamped and signed by my Swedish university wasn't enough, they needed to see that an official organization within the US has certified that the program is equivalent to a US MPH. It was also expensive to get it expedited, so I'd love to know if they actually fully accept what you sent in as being good enough.

I'm curious to see how this works out for you, as I got my MPH from a foreign uni, too. I was told that I had to go through a verification service, and it was a total hassel which set me back three days (of 6, right? So a lot). When I talked to CDC HR, they said that simply sending in a copy of my transcripts that were stamped and signed by my Swedish university wasn't enough, they needed to see that an official organization within the US has certified that the program is equivalent to a US MPH. It was also expensive to get it expedited, so I'd love to know if they actually fully accept what you sent in as being good enough.
Oh wow! I'm sorry you had to go through that! So im just studying abroad for this semester, I am still in my undergrad but I normally go to a school in the US and am graduating in May! I mentioned I was abroad because there was no way for me to get any enrollment certifications sent from my school at home, since I don't have a scanner here or anything (I just downloaded the enrollment form from our student services website which has a stamp and everything but I couldnt use the one on USAJOBS)..I got an email today that I am eligible though, so I guess we'll see what happens! That's weird that they needed a US organization though, I figured what you had would be equivalent.

Hi guys,

Quick question - I am a recent December 2017 masters grad and as such, I only provided my unofficial transcript, resume, and cover letter. However upon closer inspection, I realized that my transcript did not reflect my conferred graduation date.

Does that mean I am automatically ineligible since the date was not reflected? I can always send my official transcript later down the selection process right? Any ways to update my transcript in my app?