2018 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here:/ I thought I'd at least make it onto the next round, but oh well I guess now's the time to start applying to other things. What are something other programs/jobs people have applied to? I'm really just trying to get some experience before going back for my MPH, so any suggestions would be very helpful :) .

Great question. I'd like to know as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I also received an email that I was not referred. I was extremely upset about this, I thought I was a strong candidate and that I would at least move on to phase 2. Now I have no idea what to do after graduation..

Hey guys, I also received an email that I was not referred. I was extremely upset about this, I thought I was a strong candidate and that I would at least move on to phase 2. Now I have no idea what to do after graduation..

I’m in the same boat as well. Don’t get to hard on yourself. I always look at it as it’s not the perfect fit for me and there’s something out there that’s better :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yay to all referred! It's a long wait but we can get through it!

For those who did not, it could be as simple as something that didn't meet the minimum requirements. So check everything and always keep apply for the next sessions! Good luck!

Hello All,

So, I was actually accepted into the Cohort last year, but I wasn’t able to take it at the time because of a major family issue. I reapplied again this year and I too got my referral email. I feel as though everyone is deserving, so don’t be too hard on yourselves. Good luck to everyone!

Hello All,

So, I was actually accepted into the Cohort last year, but I wasn’t able to take it at the time because of a major family issue. I reapplied again this year and I too got my referral email. I feel as though everyone is deserving, so don’t be too hard on yourselves. Good luck to everyone!

After receiving the referral email, what is next? We submit a personal statement, but where?

After receiving the referral email, what is next? We submit a personal statement, but where?
I also wondered the same thing. I know the personal statement is time sensitive, but so far i have only gotten a referral email from usajobs. Does the CDC send another email?

So they will send another email saying you have moved on to the second phase which is the personal statement. You will then be given a unique link where you can upload your statement. I believe you only have 5 days to do that in.

I got a "not referred" email. I thought I was a strong candidate, too. Rejection never feels good. Best to those who are still in the running.

Hello everyone, I also received the “you have been referred to the hiring manager” email. I honestly forgot I applied! I’ve been so busy applying for graduate programs, hopefully I get into either one! Will keep you all posted! Good luck to everyone.

Just got my refereed email today! Congrats to everyone who is moving on!

I got an email saying I am ineligible because I don't meet the "Area of Consideration" requirement. I work with 2 PHAP grads in my office, and they told me not to give up hope on it yet. They received all kinds of weird email rejections just before getting emails that they had moved forward to the next step. Here's what the email looked like:View attachment 229916

I received the same thing. Do you know what this email means? I submitted all the documents so I'm not sure what this is referring to :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the same thing. Do you know what this email means? I submitted all the documents so I'm not sure what this is referring to :/

That's strange. You could call the helpdesk to find out. They don't give you much information but they may be able to tell you what the issue was. I called yesterday and they said that I didn't meet the cutoff score.

I still have not recieved the email from PHAP regarding the personal statement. Do they send those all out at once? I have only gotten a referral email from USAJobs. Has anyone got the email asking for the statement yet?

I still have not recieved the email from PHAP regarding the personal statement. Do they send those all out at once? I have only gotten a referral email from USAJobs. Has anyone got the email asking for the statement yet?

I received the “you have been referred to the hiring manager” email but nothing about the personal statement either.

I also received the referred to hiring manager email. Does anyone know what specific information they will ask for in the next round? I know there's a personal statement with prompts but do they want letters of reference or anything else? Also do you put our location preference in this round or the next? Is there anywhere to see the groups of states they let you pick? I heard it was really random groups which seems odd if you know you'd rather be in a certain region. Thank you if anyone has any answers!

I also received the referred to hiring manager email. Does anyone know what specific information they will ask for in the next round? I know there's a personal statement with prompts but do they want letters of reference or anything else? Also do you put our location preference in this round or the next? Is there anywhere to see the groups of states they let you pick? I heard it was really random groups which seems odd if you know you'd rather be in a certain region. Thank you if anyone has any answers!

Hey, Congrats!!! There are forums on here from previous years that I have been reading through. You should try and check those out. I feel like after the interview (3rd round) is where you might be able to choose location preferences. Hope this helps!

Hey, Congrats!!! There are forums on here from previous years that I have been reading through. You should try and check those out. I feel like after the interview (3rd round) is where you might be able to choose location preferences. Hope this helps!
Hi thanks for the tip, I've gone through last years forum but maybe I'll check out more older ones, just wasn't sure if the system has changed much but I'm sure it would still be helpful. :)

i didn't get a referred either but all the best to those that do!

Just got an email about the personal statement so everyone who got referred should check their emails :)

Reactions: 3 users
I got the email about the personal statement, too, but never got the email from the CDC saying I was referred to the hiring manager. Meh! The email about the personal statement is more important anyways. Good luck, everyone!!

You pick your location preference on the FMS application page prior to interview.

Location preference is pick by region in the FMS application. 1st, 2nd , and 3rd choice. The states in the region are not really random, but they correcspond to the federal regions. Ie region 9 has CA, AZ, NM, guam. Its similar to like FEMA regions etc. Just fill out the application and submit your personal statement.

Then an email about interviews will be sent out to those who move on after personal statements.

Has anyone else who received the email about their personal statement gone onto the site to register? I'm seeing some discrepancies between the email and the website about the deadline for submission. In the email, it says that the personal statement phase will open at 12am on Tuesday, March 6th, and close at 11:59pm on Sunday, March 11th, which is 6 full days to complete it. However, when I logged in, it says that the deadline is 11:59pm on Thursday, March 8th, which is only 3 full days. That's a pretty big difference. Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

I received the personal statement email as well. If I remembered correctly from last year, I believe you can self select your preferred regions during the personal statement phase.

Has anyone else who received the email about their personal statement gone onto the site to register? I'm seeing some discrepancies between the email and the website about the deadline for submission. In the email, it says that the personal statement phase will open at 12am on Tuesday, March 6th, and close at 11:59pm on Sunday, March 11th, which is 6 full days to complete it. However, when I logged in, it says that the deadline is 11:59pm on Thursday, March 8th, which is only 3 full days. That's a pretty big difference. Is anyone else seeing the same thing?
I also see that, has anyone called for clarification?

I also applied to Global Health Corps and am in the process of applying to several jobs now. I've also had an interview with Health Career Connection, which is only a summer internship program, but it would be better than nothing!

any update on your ghc app:)?

I also see that, has anyone called for clarification?
Their office is closed until Monday, but I noticed March 8th was the deadline for the personal statement last year. Perhaps they forgot to update the site? I'm going to call on Monday to find out.

Has anyone heard any updates on this? I also got referred and encountered the same thing, and the application is not open yet.

Has anyone heard any updates on this? I also got referred and encountered the same thing, and the application is not open yet.
I called them on Friday when I first noticed it, and they asked me to send in a screen shot so their IT team can fix it. I just now got an email saying that they've updated the date in the portal to 3/11, but when I go in, I'm still seeing 3/8. Am I the only one? I've refreshed the page a few times in case my browser was just accessing a cached page, but it's still 3/8 on my side. Would love some confirmation from others before following up again.

I called them on Friday when I first noticed it, and they asked me to send in a screen shot so their IT team can fix it. I just now got an email saying that they've updated the date in the portal to 3/11, but when I go in, I'm still seeing 3/8. Am I the only one? I've refreshed the page a few times in case my browser was just accessing a cached page, but it's still 3/8 on my side. Would love some confirmation from others before following up again.

Still seeing 3/8 as well.

Still seeing 3/8 as well.
Ok - I'm on the West Coast, so the application will open for me at 9pm tonight. I'll check then to see if the deadline has changed (I'm thinking there might be some code that refreshes once the app opens). If it doesn't, I'll call them first thing in the morning to let them know that it's still set to the wrong date.

Hi all,
I know it is only one day away. However, do any current or past applicants know what the personal statement entails?

Hi all,
I know it is only one day away. However, do any current or past applicants know what the personal statement entails?
It's actually written on the original application details on USAJobs. I think in the requirements or how to apply.

In addition to completing your assessment all referred applicants will be required to complete a personal statement and participate in a personal interview. Failure to complete the assessment, personal statement or interview will result in removal from further consideration.

All referred applicants will be notified by phone and/or email to complete a personal statement. The personal statement consists of the following information:

1. What are your goals after completing the PHAP program?
2. How would PHAP help you fulfill these goals?
3. How will PHAP complement previous training or experiences?

Looks like the application is still saying 3/8 @ midnight. I'll call in the morning. So, 750 words to answer the three questions YMT2021 posted above. Make them the best 750 words you've ever written, everyone! Good luck! We've got this!! :happy:

Looks like the application is still saying 3/8 @ midnight. I'll call in the morning. So, 750 words to answer the three questions YMT2021 posted above. Make them the best 750 words you've ever written, everyone! Good luck! We've got this!! :happy:
And fixed. Good luck, everyone!

Hi everyone, I hope all is well with the application process. I have a quick question and was wondering if any of you could help me out. I attended 2 colleges (I only graduated from 1). The education form specifically states to add all colleges attended, however, the fields of graduation date and degree are required. If I only graduated from 1 school, how should I enter the other college's information? Has anyone else faced this problem yet? Would love some feedback. Thanks you all.

I submitted my personal statement. Goodluck to everyone!

Did anyone else also apply to global health corps/know when we will be receiving any information from them?

Hey you all! Quick question. Does anyone know if it is possible to attend graduate school while participating in the PHAP cohort? I’m applying to graduate school at the moment as well and I am having a hard time making a decision. If I make it to the 3rd phase!! Thanks.

Hello Everyone!

I’m freaking out. I submitted my personal statement last night and I used PHAP acronym in my statement and it says we’re only allowed to use CDC. Do you think I will be disqualified?

Hello Everyone!

I’m freaking out. I submitted my personal statement last night and I used PHAP acronym in my statement and it says we’re only allowed to use CDC. Do you think I will be disqualified?

How did you use it? I wrote out Public Health Associate Program (PHAP) and the just used PHAP after that. And I moved onto the next round (2017).

How did you use it? I wrote out Public Health Associate Program (PHAP) and the just used PHAP after that. And I moved onto the next round (2017).

I spelled it out the first time I used it and then used PHAP moving forward. Thank you! I feel so much better now!

I also wrote Dr.PH in my paper and didn’t tell what it was, but I think I’ll be okay. I only used it once at the end. I was more worried about the PHAP part though.

Attachments

• 323CFC85-99F6-446C-8327-26D1B3F2A04C.jpeg
    323CFC85-99F6-446C-8327-26D1B3F2A04C.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 92
I saw the exception for CDC, too. I mean, the questions themselves refer to the Public Health Associates Program as PHAP, so even though it's not strictly allowed, I would think that PHAP is fine, too.

How are folks treating the questions? As one big essay where you have to be sure to address each part somewhere, but no calling them out directly, or are you answering them one-by-one with the questions as headers?

I saw the exception for CDC, too. I mean, the questions themselves refer to the Public Health Associates Program as PHAP, so even though it's not strictly allowed, I would think that PHAP is fine, too.

How are folks treating the questions? As one big essay where you have to be sure to address each part somewhere, but no calling them out directly, or are you answering them one-by-one with the questions as headers?
I answered mine is essay format. So, I answered the questions within my personal statement.