2018 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys,

Quick question - I am a recent December 2017 masters grad and as such, I only provided my unofficial transcript, resume, and cover letter. However upon closer inspection, I realized that my transcript did not reflect my conferred graduation date.

Does that mean I am automatically ineligible since the date was not reflected? I can always send my official transcript later down the selection process right? Any ways to update my transcript in my app?

There is not a way to update anything in the application after the close date. I don’t think it should be a problem unless your official transcript does not reflect the true graduation date. They may ask for additional documents.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Quick question - I am a recent December 2017 masters grad and as such, I only provided my unofficial transcript, resume, and cover letter. However upon closer inspection, I realized that my transcript did not reflect my conferred graduation date.

Does that mean I am automatically ineligible since the date was not reflected? I can always send my official transcript later down the selection process right? Any ways to update my transcript in my app?

I think/hope that wouldn't disqualify you. After all, it's an unofficial transcript. Did you indicate your anticipated graduation date anywhere else in your application?

So is anyone applying to additional programs? What are your backup plans? CDC is my #1 option (I'd accept in a heartbeat) but I'm also going to apply to National Health Corps. If neither work out I've got a position lined up with a local counseling center and will likely volunteer at the local free clinic or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied to Global Health Corps and am in the process of applying to several jobs now. I've also had an interview with Health Career Connection, which is only a summer internship program, but it would be better than nothing!

Reactions: 1 users
I think/hope that wouldn't disqualify you. After all, it's an unofficial transcript. Did you indicate your anticipated graduation date anywhere else in your application?

I actually put my graduation date as December 2017 using the Resume Builder application. So my resume does say that I am a recent graduate of December 2017, so at least that's indicated on there.

I actually put my graduation date as December 2017 using the Resume Builder application. So my resume does say that I am a recent graduate of December 2017, so at least that's indicated on there.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much! :)

The waiting process makes me so nervous. I wonder when we will here back for the next phase?! PHAP is my first choice of all! But, I have applied to a MPA program and to many jobs as backup.

The waiting process makes me so nervous. I wonder when we will here back for the next phase?! PHAP is my first choice of all! But, I have applied to a MPA program and to many jobs as backup.

Those who are asked to move on will be contacted in March. If its the same as years past, if you don't move on, you don't hear anything (or at least not for a long time). Here is the timeline:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 12.21.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 12.21.39 PM.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: 2 users
Those who are asked to move on will be contacted in March. If its the same as years past, if you don't move on, you don't hear anything (or at least not for a long time). Here is the timeline:

Thanks for the info! March seems very far away.

2017 PHAP here, I heard back for Phase II on March 3rd if that helps!

Reactions: 5 users
I heard back March 1st. They come in batches, so don't fret if it's end of 1st week in March and you haven't heard.

Anyone know if we can find out roughly how many people applied?

Members don't see this ad :)
@ndb23 Obviously the numbers are probably different now but here are the 2016 numbers. [From the 2017 forum I think? Not sure. I saved these numbers a while ago.]

2016 numbers:
-3,371 submitted application in January
-1,168 asked to submit personal statement (35%)* (notified early March) [883 actually submitted personal statement (26% of total applicants, 76% of those asked to submit)]
-582 offered interviews (66% of those that submitted personal statement) (notified end of March/early April; interviews throughout April)
-188 hired (32% of those interviewed, 5.6% of total applicants) (notified June/July)

Of course, the class size decreased in 2017 so these numbers could mean absolutely nothing now.

Gah! My school tried faxing the verification form on Friday and it wouldn't go through and when they tried today it didn't go through, either. I called the PHAP number and they told me I could upload it, so now I'm scrambling to get someone to email me a signed digital copy before they leave for the day :help:

I DID NOT fax, I only uploaded so do you think that is fine?

Any idea why the number is so much lower than the year before?
Im not sure honestly. The few people I talked to about applying couldn't apply because of their schools were still closed during the application period so they couldnt get that required document signed and faxed. During my application period, that form didn't exist so that could be another thing to consider too. But good luck to each of you and I hope to share the PHAP journey with each of you. These are gonna be a few long months between personal statements, interviews, and offers but its def worth it. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to inbox me :)

Reactions: 2 users
Im not sure honestly. The few people I talked to about applying couldn't apply because of their schools were still closed during the application period so they couldnt get that required document signed and faxed. During my application period, that form didn't exist so that could be another thing to consider too. But good luck to each of you and I hope to share the PHAP journey with each of you. These are gonna be a few long months between personal statements, interviews, and offers but its def worth it. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to inbox me :)

Thank you for the information--it's always reassuring when associates pop in to drop some wisdom. The whole process can feel very out of control, so anything helps :)

I DID NOT fax, I only uploaded so do you think that is fine?

I think you're fine :xf:

Time to start checking your emails, Just received one!

Reactions: 4 users
Morning!! Honestly, has anyone received any feedback? I was told it would be received by the first week of March.
Goodluck to everyone!

Morning!! Honestly, has anyone received any feedback? I was told it would be received by the first week of March.
Goodluck to everyone!

I feel like we will hear something by this week or earlier!

Time to start checking your emails, Just received one!

I got an email saying I am ineligible because I don't meet the "Area of Consideration" requirement. I work with 2 PHAP grads in my office, and they told me not to give up hope on it yet. They received all kinds of weird email rejections just before getting emails that they had moved forward to the next step. Here's what the email looked like:
phap email.PNG

Yeah, I got a weird rejection saying I didn't submit all the documents required by the announcement, too. I called them up yesterday when I got the email to ask about it, and they said that I didn't submit my certified conversion of a foreign degree. After talking to the woman at the help desk, it looks like whoever was reviewing my file got confused because I submitted my original Swedish diploma for my master's, along with the certified conversion and my American transcripts (so 3 docs in total), for only 2 degrees. She said she would contact the person who originally reviewed my file and let her know that the conversion was for the Swedish degree, but I haven't received anything saying that they made a mistake. So I don't know if I'm totally out of the running, or if I'll get another email in the next few days...?

For any of those that received the weird "rejections," did your application status change on usajobs.gov ??

Anyone else constantly refreshing their emails whenever they have a second of free time?! I CANT LIVE LIKE THIS

SAMEEEEE! I just want to know what sender to be looking for....

For any of those that received the weird "rejections," did your application status change on usajobs.gov ??

Mine still has the RECEIVED status and the date I submitted. I emailed HR and got an answer back that there was an issue with my transcript (my school does not use the GPA system). If you get a notice, I recommend contacting them. Their response was very quick.

Am I the only one that had to make a new account with USAJOBS? Wth is going on?
Mine still has the RECEIVED status and the date I submitted. I emailed HR and got an answer back that there was an issue with my transcript (my school does not use the GPA system). If you get a notice, I recommend contacting them. Their response was very quick.

Hey ! What exactly did you send you send over to HR?

Mine still says "received," too on both the USAJobs site and the CDC site.

Question for past/current PHAP folks: should we assume that means we're still in the running, then, and that this is just one of the "weird rejections" mentioned by others? Thank you for your help!

Mine still says "received," too on both the USAJobs site and the CDC site.

Question for past/current PHAP folks: should we assume that means we're still in the running, then, and that this is just one of the "weird rejections" mentioned by others? Thank you for your help!

So I called the CDC help desk today and I was told that notifications are going out. Be on the lookout for the rest of this week into next week!

Hey ! What exactly did you send you send over to HR?[/QUOTE

it’s a new database. No need to worry since it transfers all your information over from USAjobs. It’s still a USAJobs database.

Ok - now I got an email saying I'm tentatively eligible based on my self-ratings. Has anyone received anything saying they're going on to the next round yet?

I'm freaking out about this so much that my roommates told me to turn off notifications for this forum :laugh:

Ok - now I got an email saying I'm tentatively eligible based on my self-ratings. Has anyone received anything saying they're going on to the next round yet?
I got that same email back in January, about a week after I submitted my application, but haven't heard anything since then!

OH WOW! That’s great. I haven’t received anything as of yet and my anxiety is through the roof.

I'm freaking out about this so much that my roommates told me to turn off notifications for this forum :laugh:

Haha me too! I keep logging in thinking that something is going to happen!

Hey everyone!

Just a quick note to hopefully de-stress you.

So it's pretty unreliable to check the status on Usajobs. The best way is to check emails received. If you can filter the word "PHAP" into a folder, it helps. All the emails I got that were important went here.

The sample email of tentative qualifications is what everyone has been getting from Jan til now. It does not mean phase 2. You will get an email that will say you have been accepted to phase 2 etc.

Then later an email about interviews for phase 3 will be sent.

So check your emails, but don't go crazy. I did that last year and it was tough. Stay busy. Read the emails and follow every direction exactly.

Don't hesitate to call HR but know they also can't give you too.much detail and cannot say if you weren't picked. The rejection on Usajobs happened almost a year after the program started and last selections happen late due to other turning down the offer late.

Everyone did. It's a new system update for the gov site and how it is being accessed. Just an updated security thing.

Just got an email saying I have been referred to the hiring manager! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I just got an e-mail saying:

You have not been referred to the hiring manager for position GS-0685-5 in Location Negotiable After Selection, United States

Just to be sure... that means I'm out, right? I wish they would just say rejected so I can be sure. Kind of a shame, but what can you do?

I just got an e-mail saying:

You have not been referred to the hiring manager for position GS-0685-5 in Location Negotiable After Selection, United States

Just to be sure... that means I'm out, right? I wish they would just say rejected so I can be sure. Kind of a shame, but what can you do?

I got the same email. Pretty bummed, but I am also going through the interview process for a few jobs, so hopefully someone hires me! Best of luck to those of you still in it!

I got the same email. Pretty bummed, but I am also going through the interview process for a few jobs, so hopefully someone hires me! Best of luck to those of you still in it!.

I'm in the same boat, so actually I'm a bit relieved. PHAP was my first choice, but I don't think I could have afforded to turn down other offers until August when the results come out. At least this isn't hanging over our heads :)

Wishing everyone else the very best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the same boat, so actually I'm a bit relieved. PHAP was my first choice, but I don't think I could have afforded to turn down other offers until August when the results come out. At least this isn't hanging over our heads :)

Wishing everyone else the very best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!.

I actually got the not reffered notification also. I just called and they said that the cut off number was pretty high this year! Don't worry there are other things out there and congrats to everyone on the second round!

I actually got the not reffered notification also. I just called and they said that the cut off number was pretty high this year! Don't worry there are other things out there and congrats to everyone on the second round!.
Same here:/ I thought I'd at least make it onto the next round, but oh well I guess now's the time to start applying to other things. What are something other programs/jobs people have applied to? I'm really just trying to get some experience before going back for my MPH, so any suggestions would be very helpful :)