2019-2020 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fwfw

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Been watching out for a thread to be created. But none so far.

I am Singaporean, hoping to submit before september for early acceptance

Anyone else giving it a shot?

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

Hi Fwfw!! I am Chinese with an US bachelor degree and also hoping to submit the application for early acceptance!
Do you happen to know whether I could use my personal statement for AMCAS (~800 words) for Duke-NUS? On the application it says ~500 words so I am wondering if I should trim it down...

Hi Fwfw!! I am Chinese with an US bachelor degree and also hoping to submit the application for early acceptance!
Do you happen to know whether I could use my personal statement for AMCAS (~800 words) for Duke-NUS? On the application it says ~500 words so I am wondering if I should trim it down...

Hi Hi... I would think trimming it down to 500 words is better. Since there is a second essay that can be about adversity/dilemma, maybe you can use that other essay to talk about your strengths as well? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, Chinese looking forward to applying as well! Nice to catch up with everybody.

I'd suggest you trim it down. I think you need some space to talk about your commitment to Singapore & support system too! Hope it helps.

Hi Hi... I would think trimming it down to 500 words is better. Since there is a second essay that can be about adversity/dilemma, maybe you can use that other essay to talk about your strengths as well? :)
I'd suggest you trim it down. I think you need some space to talk about your commitment to Singapore & support system too! Hope it helps.
Thank you guys for the response! I trimmed it down to one page and hopefully that works:)

Hello everyone! I am a Singaporean applying for the 2020 intake :) Really glad to see this thread.

Hi guys, do you all know what are the acceptance rate for duke-nus med school?

Hi guys, do you all know what are the acceptance rate for duke-nus med school?
They mentioned in a webinar last year: "We receive a few hundred applications and admit 60-70 each year."

Reactions: 1 user

Hey y'all, re-applicant applying for early admissions here. Also, I will be re-taking the MCAT in September. Hopefully we'll be able to hear good news from the university soon!

Are there any Americans, who only speak English, that go here? Just curious, because I have no ties to Asia or international schools but have received multiple emails about this program.

This is not a school that students attend with intent to return to the US - correct?

Hey y'all, re-applicant applying for early admissions here. Also, I will be re-taking the MCAT in September. Hopefully we'll be able to hear good news from the university soon!
Same here, re-applicant, just took MCAT two days ago, good luck man

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any Americans, who only speak English, that go here? Just curious, because I have no ties to Asia or international schools but have received multiple emails about this program.

This is not a school that students attend with intent to return to the US - correct?

There is a service commitment period of 5 years, for foreigners, I believe. So it seems like a major deterrent for foreigners.

All the best to both of you!!

I took MCAT last year and also just submitted on Sunday, for early acceptance. Heard that 1st applicant day in SG is in 2 weeks’ time - 16 Sep. Wow, does it mean we will get notified by next week if we get past review stage? =p

I took MCAT last year and also just submitted on Sunday, for early acceptance. Heard that 1st applicant day in SG is in 2 weeks’ time - 16 Sep. Wow, does it mean we will get notified by next week if we get past review stage? =p

Submitted last weekend too. All the best!

Got the invitation for Applicant Day on Sept 16th in Singapore!!!
Had to reschedule tho since I’m 20+h away by flight right now and would be much easier to attend the one in Duke. They did let me switch to that one:)

Reactions: 2 users
Got the invitation for Applicant Day on Sept 16th in Singapore!!!
Had to reschedule tho since I’m 20+h away by flight right now and would be much easier to attend the one in Duke. They did let me switch to that one:)
Congratulations mate! Do you happen to know what are the available Applicant Day dates for the Duke location?

Congratulations mate! Do you happen to know what are the available Applicant Day dates for the Duke location?
thank you:)
It’s November 15th and 16th. You can see all of the dates on their website.

I just got the email for 16 Sep applicant day ytd!

This thread is so much quieter than last year’s thread. Wonder why?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey doc, good luck for your MCAT results too! If everything goes well, we might even see each other during the October/November applicant day man

Thanks a lot man, and congrats on getting that invitation to applicant day - your stats must have been really impressive! All the best for applicant day :)

Hey doc, good luck for your MCAT results too! If everything goes well, we might even see each other during the October/November applicant day man

Thanks a lot man, and congrats on getting that invitation to applicant day - your stats must have been really impressive! All the best for applicant day :)

Hi Cool.beans, when is your MCAT?
Not really impressive. I'm ultra non-trad. Stats are only hitting the average. I guess background story and work experience count.
All the best for your MCAT! May the force b w you!

Hi Cool.beans, when is your MCAT?
Not really impressive. I'm ultra non-trad. Stats are only hitting the average. I guess background story and work experience count.
All the best for your MCAT! May the force b w you!
I wrote the MCAT on 09/06! I'm so glad that it's over, and send me lots of luck because I believe I will need it haha
I think the recent intake has quite a few non-trads too, and that's really inspiring! Kudos to you!
hi! did anyone else get the Sep invite? :oops:
Not me, unfortunately :(

Hello, guys. I applied for an early acceptance but I haven't received any interview offers....Cos there are 3 applicants days for early acceptance students held in Singapore.... Does it mean that I still have a chance?
P. S. International applicant

I wrote the MCAT on 09/06! I'm so glad that it's over, and send me lots of luck because I believe I will need it haha
I think the recent intake has quite a few non-trads too, and that's really inspiring! Kudos to you!

Not me, unfortunately :(
Most likely they have to wait until your MCAT results is out. So don't fret. Sending love n luck n everything to u. MCAT is so badass difficult that I feel anyone that has been through it, is already a winner! :)

Yay. See u!

Hang in there! Your invite will come soon & hopefully for all of us - the offer too :shy: Is everyone applying for MD only and also, what constitutes a non-trad applicant?

Hi, it's my first time applying so I don't know for sure but I think it's definitely coming! Duke replied in their FAQ that applicants not called in Sep will be put in the regular admissions, so it's exactly the 'rolling admissions' they've mentioned. It will come, don't worry!! :cat:

Non-trad? In my case, I had a creative arts background - animation and modelmaking. And I am in my 30+. I guess non-trad in medical school terms, means not having a super relevant degree, and probably much older than the rest?

Hang in there! Your invite will come soon & hopefully for all of us - the offer too :shy: Is everyone applying for MD only and also, what constitutes a non-trad applicant?
I applied for the MD only, and yeah I really should adopt that optimistic mindset of yours haha. Good luck on your apps too :)

Hello, guys. I applied for an early acceptance but I haven't received any interview offers....Cos there are 3 applicants days for early acceptance students held in Singapore.... Does it mean that I still have a chance?
P. S. International applicant
Hey embryo, I believe we do stand a chance since they probably have limited slots available for each applicant day, and hence that many held over the span of months. Sending you luck too!

Most likely they have to wait until your MCAT results is out. So don't fret. Sending love n luck n everything to u. MCAT is so badass difficult that I feel anyone that has been through it, is already a winner! :)
Right?! My exact sentiments. I've been happier ever since the end of that exam lol. Alright, time to wait anxiously for the results. Thanks a lot man! :) I think many of us here will be waiting for the post-interview reaction from y'all who've been through the first applicant day hahaha

Hi, did anyone mention shadowing in their app, is it necessary to include it in the app?

Hi, did anyone mention shadowing in their app, is it necessary to include it in the app?
Not sure whether is it necessary. But I mentioned in the personal statement about a significant case that left a deep impression on me, during my shadowing.

Secondly, the dr that I shadowed wrote one of the letters of recommendation for me.

Thank you, I am just wondering if I need to write down the hours I shadowed in the activity section.

I applied for the MD only, and yeah I really should adopt that optimistic mindset of yours haha. Good luck on your apps too :)

Hey embryo, I believe we do stand a chance since they probably have limited slots available for each applicant day, and hence that many held over the span of months. Sending you luck too!

Right?! My exact sentiments. I've been happier ever since the end of that exam lol. Alright, time to wait anxiously for the results. Thanks a lot man! :) I think many of us here will be waiting for the post-interview reaction from y'all who've been through the first applicant day hahaha

Waiting is painful hope we will all receive interview asap

hey is it possible to share your initial MCAT score? are you a local applicant? I'm guessing not since MM/DD isn't typically used here haha.

I would say definitely include shadowing if you have some! I am applying to US med schools as well and I know they LOVE shadowing...

hey is it possible to share your initial MCAT score? are you a local applicant? I'm guessing not since MM/DD isn't typically used here haha.
Hey, my previous MCAT score was 504 with CARS putting my score off pretty badly. I am a local applicant and didn't realize that I used MM/DD lol (I followed the format of the date on my desktop).

Edit: for clarity

Last edited:
Hey, my previous MCAT score was 504 with CARS putting my score off pretty badly. I am a local applicant and didn't realize that I used MM/DD lol (I followed the format of the date on my desktop).

Edit: for clarity

Ah I see. All the best for your results! :)

Hi! those going for applicant day, which group are y’all? And for the original docs we just bring the stuff we submitted to Duke for the app right? :joyful:
I’m in interview group 1. Yes, need to bring original and a set of photocopies.
What group r u in?

Canadian here who has no ties to SE Asia and does not speak any of the local languages. If you want to work in Singapore and I mean really want to work here, then Duke-NUS is an excellent school. Keep in mind, you have to serve a 5 year bond to the Ministry of Health after your PGY1 year, which shouldn't be a problem if you plan on practicing here. IF you break the bond, there is quite a hefty fee which I am not at liberty to disclose. So, if you plan on applying, then really be sure about your desire to work here.

I went to Duke-NUS with the intention of never returning to Canada to practice. It was definitely a difficult choice (yes, a choice) but I am glad I made the decision as I am loving every moment of the program so far.

My batch has been the most competitive batch admitted thus far and also the largest class. There is quite a large number of international's students here - Americans, Canadians, Europeans and other Asian countries.

Edit: If anyone has any questions, feel free to DM me and I will be more than happy to help. I am a current MS1 at the Uni.

Reactions: 3 users
As an MS1 at the Uni, I have had the chance to meet students from a variety of backgrounds and I can confidently say, shadowing is not the most important thing on your application. There are people in my class who were banking executives, architects and engineers who have had very little exposure to the medical setting. The school takes pride in their diversity and I have found working with students from these backgrounds has definitely helped get a different perspective when studying.

Last edited:
I would say definitely include shadowing if you have some! I am applying to US med schools as well and I know they LOVE shadowing...
Although this is somewhat true, I have found that a lot of schools are transitioning to the holistic model where they take into consideration that not everyone would have had an equal opportunity to shadow a physician, i.e., living far from the city as an example maybe. As long as you're able to express your desire to be a physician in your application regardless of the hurdles, I believe you have just as good a chance at it as the next guy/gal applying with you. Good luck with your applications.

Yay. See u!

Non-trad? In my case, I had a creative arts background - animation and modelmaking. And I am in my 30+. I guess non-trad in medical school terms, means not having a super relevant degree, and probably much older than the rest?

hey! one of my classmates falls in the same category as you!

I shadowed a doc but didn’t write, which is just really silly. :confused:Yes you ought to fill it in, lends more weight to the app!
Not silly at all! You still have a chance to make an impression at the interview. Please do not fret over what you have already put on your application as at this point, you cannot change it.

Piece of advice for the applicant day:

Although you all are going to be competing for the limited seats at the school, please do not be cut throat at the interview. My applicant day really weighed in on team work and they do observe your team work skills during the interview. Team work is the foundation of Duke's program so please do not take it lightly as shutting down someone in your team just to make an impression on the faculty will reflect negatively and potentially cost you the seat.

Take this opportunity to get to know your potential classmates as the bonds you form on that day will persist through your program.

All the best to those interviewing soon. Take it easy on that day as it is honestly quite a chill interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Applicant day is over!

Quite chilled. Interviews are on the informal side.

Lunch is good, with lots of current students joining us and sharing with us. Great conversations

Written exercise was interesting but not difficult.

Overall pleasant experience. :)

Reactions: 4 users