You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
China and Eastern Asia 2019-2020 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application
Started by Fwfw
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi Fwfw!! I am Chinese with an US bachelor degree and also hoping to submit the application for early acceptance!Hi, Been watching out for a thread to be created. But none so far.
I am Singaporean, hoping to submit before september for early acceptance
Anyone else giving it a shot?
🙂
Do you happen to know whether I could use my personal statement for AMCAS (~800 words) for Duke-NUS? On the application it says ~500 words so I am wondering if I should trim it down...
Hi Fwfw!! I am Chinese with an US bachelor degree and also hoping to submit the application for early acceptance!
Do you happen to know whether I could use my personal statement for AMCAS (~800 words) for Duke-NUS? On the application it says ~500 words so I am wondering if I should trim it down...
Hi Hi... I would think trimming it down to 500 words is better. Since there is a second essay that can be about adversity/dilemma, maybe you can use that other essay to talk about your strengths as well? 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd suggest you trim it down. I think you need some space to talk about your commitment to Singapore & support system too! Hope it helps.Hi Fwfw!! I am Chinese with an US bachelor degree and also hoping to submit the application for early acceptance!
Do you happen to know whether I could use my personal statement for AMCAS (~800 words) for Duke-NUS? On the application it says ~500 words so I am wondering if I should trim it down...
Hi Hi... I would think trimming it down to 500 words is better. Since there is a second essay that can be about adversity/dilemma, maybe you can use that other essay to talk about your strengths as well? 🙂
Thank you guys for the response! I trimmed it down to one page and hopefully that works🙂I'd suggest you trim it down. I think you need some space to talk about your commitment to Singapore & support system too! Hope it helps.
onwardsandupwards
Full Member
Hello everyone! I am a Singaporean applying for the 2020 intake 🙂 Really glad to see this thread.
They mentioned in a webinar last year: "We receive a few hundred applications and admit 60-70 each year."Hi guys, do you all know what are the acceptance rate for duke-nus med school?
cool.beans
Full Member
Hi, Been watching out for a thread to be created. But none so far.
I am Singaporean, hoping to submit before september for early acceptance
Anyone else giving it a shot?
🙂
Hey y'all, re-applicant applying for early admissions here. Also, I will be re-taking the MCAT in September. Hopefully we'll be able to hear good news from the university soon!
Are there any Americans, who only speak English, that go here? Just curious, because I have no ties to Asia or international schools but have received multiple emails about this program.
This is not a school that students attend with intent to return to the US - correct?
This is not a school that students attend with intent to return to the US - correct?
Cyberdoc2077
Full Member
Same here, re-applicant, just took MCAT two days ago, good luck manHey y'all, re-applicant applying for early admissions here. Also, I will be re-taking the MCAT in September. Hopefully we'll be able to hear good news from the university soon!
Are there any Americans, who only speak English, that go here? Just curious, because I have no ties to Asia or international schools but have received multiple emails about this program.
This is not a school that students attend with intent to return to the US - correct?
There is a service commitment period of 5 years, for foreigners, I believe. So it seems like a major deterrent for foreigners.
All the best to both of you!!Same here, re-applicant, just took MCAT two days ago, good luck man
I took MCAT last year and also just submitted on Sunday, for early acceptance. Heard that 1st applicant day in SG is in 2 weeks’ time - 16 Sep. Wow, does it mean we will get notified by next week if we get past review stage? =p
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TehCkosong
New Member
All the best to both of you!!
I took MCAT last year and also just submitted on Sunday, for early acceptance. Heard that 1st applicant day in SG is in 2 weeks’ time - 16 Sep. Wow, does it mean we will get notified by next week if we get past review stage? =p
Submitted last weekend too. All the best!
Congratulations mate! Do you happen to know what are the available Applicant Day dates for the Duke location?Got the invitation for Applicant Day on Sept 16th in Singapore!!!
Had to reschedule tho since I’m 20+h away by flight right now and would be much easier to attend the one in Duke. They did let me switch to that one🙂
thank you🙂Congratulations mate! Do you happen to know what are the available Applicant Day dates for the Duke location?
It’s November 15th and 16th. You can see all of the dates on their website.
TehCkosong
New Member
I just got the email for 16 Sep applicant day ytd!
This thread is so much quieter than last year’s thread. Wonder why?
So attending anot haha
Yes, I would be attending.So attending anot haha
According to the email, Pretty long day. Registration starts at 8:50am and the day ends at 5pm. Wow.
TehCkosong
New Member
Yes, I would be attending.
According to the email, Pretty long day. Registration starts at 8:50am and the day ends at 5pm. Wow.
still shorter than my working hours hahah
Are you attending 16 sept applicant day as well? 🙂still shorter than my working hours hahah
cool.beans
Full Member
Hey doc, good luck for your MCAT results too! If everything goes well, we might even see each other during the October/November applicant day manSame here, re-applicant, just took MCAT two days ago, good luck man
Thanks a lot man, and congrats on getting that invitation to applicant day - your stats must have been really impressive! All the best for applicant day 🙂All the best to both of you!!
I took MCAT last year and also just submitted on Sunday, for early acceptance. Heard that 1st applicant day in SG is in 2 weeks’ time - 16 Sep. Wow, does it mean we will get notified by next week if we get past review stage? =p
Hey doc, good luck for your MCAT results too! If everything goes well, we might even see each other during the October/November applicant day man
Thanks a lot man, and congrats on getting that invitation to applicant day - your stats must have been really impressive! All the best for applicant day 🙂
Hi Cool.beans, when is your MCAT?
Not really impressive. I'm ultra non-trad. Stats are only hitting the average. I guess background story and work experience count.
All the best for your MCAT! May the force b w you!
cool.beans
Full Member
I wrote the MCAT on 09/06! I'm so glad that it's over, and send me lots of luck because I believe I will need it hahaHi Cool.beans, when is your MCAT?
Not really impressive. I'm ultra non-trad. Stats are only hitting the average. I guess background story and work experience count.
All the best for your MCAT! May the force b w you!
I think the recent intake has quite a few non-trads too, and that's really inspiring! Kudos to you!
Not me, unfortunately 🙁hi! did anyone else get the Sep invite? 😳
TehCkosong
New Member
Yeapp 🙂Are you attending 16 sept applicant day as well? 🙂
Hello, guys. I applied for an early acceptance but I haven't received any interview offers....Cos there are 3 applicants days for early acceptance students held in Singapore.... Does it mean that I still have a chance?
P. S. International applicant
P. S. International applicant
Most likely they have to wait until your MCAT results is out. So don't fret. Sending love n luck n everything to u. MCAT is so badass difficult that I feel anyone that has been through it, is already a winner! 🙂I wrote the MCAT on 09/06! I'm so glad that it's over, and send me lots of luck because I believe I will need it haha
I think the recent intake has quite a few non-trads too, and that's really inspiring! Kudos to you!
Not me, unfortunately 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yay. See u!Yeapp 🙂
Hang in there! Your invite will come soon & hopefully for all of us - the offer tooIs everyone applying for MD only and also, what constitutes a non-trad applicant?
Hi, it's my first time applying so I don't know for sure but I think it's definitely coming! Duke replied in their FAQ that applicants not called in Sep will be put in the regular admissions, so it's exactly the 'rolling admissions' they've mentioned. It will come, don't worry!!![]()
Non-trad? In my case, I had a creative arts background - animation and modelmaking. And I am in my 30+. I guess non-trad in medical school terms, means not having a super relevant degree, and probably much older than the rest?
cool.beans
Full Member
I applied for the MD only, and yeah I really should adopt that optimistic mindset of yours haha. Good luck on your apps too 🙂Hang in there! Your invite will come soon & hopefully for all of us - the offer tooIs everyone applying for MD only and also, what constitutes a non-trad applicant?
Hey embryo, I believe we do stand a chance since they probably have limited slots available for each applicant day, and hence that many held over the span of months. Sending you luck too!Hello, guys. I applied for an early acceptance but I haven't received any interview offers....Cos there are 3 applicants days for early acceptance students held in Singapore.... Does it mean that I still have a chance?
P. S. International applicant
Right?! My exact sentiments. I've been happier ever since the end of that exam lol. Alright, time to wait anxiously for the results. Thanks a lot man! 🙂 I think many of us here will be waiting for the post-interview reaction from y'all who've been through the first applicant day hahahaMost likely they have to wait until your MCAT results is out. So don't fret. Sending love n luck n everything to u. MCAT is so badass difficult that I feel anyone that has been through it, is already a winner! 🙂
Mockinglol
New Member
Hi, did anyone mention shadowing in their app, is it necessary to include it in the app?
Not sure whether is it necessary. But I mentioned in the personal statement about a significant case that left a deep impression on me, during my shadowing.Hi, did anyone mention shadowing in their app, is it necessary to include it in the app?
Secondly, the dr that I shadowed wrote one of the letters of recommendation for me.
Mockinglol
New Member
Thank you, I am just wondering if I need to write down the hours I shadowed in the activity section.
I applied for the MD only, and yeah I really should adopt that optimistic mindset of yours haha. Good luck on your apps too 🙂
Hey embryo, I believe we do stand a chance since they probably have limited slots available for each applicant day, and hence that many held over the span of months. Sending you luck too!
Right?! My exact sentiments. I've been happier ever since the end of that exam lol. Alright, time to wait anxiously for the results. Thanks a lot man! 🙂 I think many of us here will be waiting for the post-interview reaction from y'all who've been through the first applicant day hahaha
Waiting is painful hope we will all receive interview asap
TehCkosong
New Member
Hey y'all, re-applicant applying for early admissions here. Also, I will be re-taking the MCAT in September. Hopefully we'll be able to hear good news from the university soon!
hey is it possible to share your initial MCAT score? are you a local applicant? I'm guessing not since MM/DD isn't typically used here haha.
I would say definitely include shadowing if you have some! I am applying to US med schools as well and I know they LOVE shadowing...Hi, did anyone mention shadowing in their app, is it necessary to include it in the app?
cool.beans
Full Member
Hey, my previous MCAT score was 504 with CARS putting my score off pretty badly. I am a local applicant and didn't realize that I used MM/DD lol (I followed the format of the date on my desktop).hey is it possible to share your initial MCAT score? are you a local applicant? I'm guessing not since MM/DD isn't typically used here haha.
Edit: for clarity
Last edited:
TehCkosong
New Member
Hey, my previous MCAT score was 504 with CARS putting my score off pretty badly. I am a local applicant and didn't realize that I used MM/DD lol (I followed the format of the date on my desktop).
Edit: for clarity
Ah I see. All the best for your results! 🙂
I’m in interview group 1. Yes, need to bring original and a set of photocopies.Hi! those going for applicant day, which group are y’all? And for the original docs we just bring the stuff we submitted to Duke for the app right?![]()
What group r u in?
It really depends on what time I get my grab ride. Probably around 8:15? 🙂Omg i’m group 1 too!What time u gonna be there?
existentialcrisis
Admitted MD
Are there any Americans, who only speak English, that go here? Just curious, because I have no ties to Asia or international schools but have received multiple emails about this program.
This is not a school that students attend with intent to return to the US - correct?
Canadian here who has no ties to SE Asia and does not speak any of the local languages. If you want to work in Singapore and I mean really want to work here, then Duke-NUS is an excellent school. Keep in mind, you have to serve a 5 year bond to the Ministry of Health after your PGY1 year, which shouldn't be a problem if you plan on practicing here. IF you break the bond, there is quite a hefty fee which I am not at liberty to disclose. So, if you plan on applying, then really be sure about your desire to work here.
I went to Duke-NUS with the intention of never returning to Canada to practice. It was definitely a difficult choice (yes, a choice) but I am glad I made the decision as I am loving every moment of the program so far.
My batch has been the most competitive batch admitted thus far and also the largest class. There is quite a large number of international's students here - Americans, Canadians, Europeans and other Asian countries.
Edit: If anyone has any questions, feel free to DM me and I will be more than happy to help. I am a current MS1 at the Uni.
existentialcrisis
Admitted MD
As an MS1 at the Uni, I have had the chance to meet students from a variety of backgrounds and I can confidently say, shadowing is not the most important thing on your application. There are people in my class who were banking executives, architects and engineers who have had very little exposure to the medical setting. The school takes pride in their diversity and I have found working with students from these backgrounds has definitely helped get a different perspective when studying.Hi, did anyone mention shadowing in their app, is it necessary to include it in the app?
Last edited:
existentialcrisis
Admitted MD
My batch is quite talkative haha!I just got the email for 16 Sep applicant day ytd!
This thread is so much quieter than last year’s thread. Wonder why?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
existentialcrisis
Admitted MD
Although this is somewhat true, I have found that a lot of schools are transitioning to the holistic model where they take into consideration that not everyone would have had an equal opportunity to shadow a physician, i.e., living far from the city as an example maybe. As long as you're able to express your desire to be a physician in your application regardless of the hurdles, I believe you have just as good a chance at it as the next guy/gal applying with you. Good luck with your applications.I would say definitely include shadowing if you have some! I am applying to US med schools as well and I know they LOVE shadowing...
existentialcrisis
Admitted MD
Yay. See u!
Non-trad? In my case, I had a creative arts background - animation and modelmaking. And I am in my 30+. I guess non-trad in medical school terms, means not having a super relevant degree, and probably much older than the rest?
hey! one of my classmates falls in the same category as you!
Former journalist and bank employee training to be doctors
One worked in a bank. Another was a former journalist.
existentialcrisis
Admitted MD
Not silly at all! You still have a chance to make an impression at the interview. Please do not fret over what you have already put on your application as at this point, you cannot change it.I shadowed a doc but didn’t write, which is just really silly. 😕Yes you ought to fill it in, lends more weight to the app!
existentialcrisis
Admitted MD
Piece of advice for the applicant day:
Although you all are going to be competing for the limited seats at the school, please do not be cut throat at the interview. My applicant day really weighed in on team work and they do observe your team work skills during the interview. Team work is the foundation of Duke's program so please do not take it lightly as shutting down someone in your team just to make an impression on the faculty will reflect negatively and potentially cost you the seat.
Take this opportunity to get to know your potential classmates as the bonds you form on that day will persist through your program.
All the best to those interviewing soon. Take it easy on that day as it is honestly quite a chill interview.
Although you all are going to be competing for the limited seats at the school, please do not be cut throat at the interview. My applicant day really weighed in on team work and they do observe your team work skills during the interview. Team work is the foundation of Duke's program so please do not take it lightly as shutting down someone in your team just to make an impression on the faculty will reflect negatively and potentially cost you the seat.
Take this opportunity to get to know your potential classmates as the bonds you form on that day will persist through your program.
All the best to those interviewing soon. Take it easy on that day as it is honestly quite a chill interview.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 25
- Views
- 16K
- Replies
- 171
- Views
- 80K