2019-2020 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received an invitation to the Applicant Day for Sep 30! Had to reschedule for the one in Durham because I am in the U.S. right now. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Received an invitation to the Applicant Day for Sep 30! Had to reschedule for the one in Durham because I am in the U.S. right now. ;)
ah same! Also in US and received the invitation for 9/30. I am actually thinking of rescheduling to the October one but I am not sure if I could get the visa in time. I feel like earlier applicant day might be helpful.

Congratulation, Would you mind sharing what did you guys put for the "country of residence" on the application? I am based in the U.S. and I wonder if there is a possibility that they are reviewing Asian applicants before US applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulation, Would you mind sharing what did you guys put for the "country of residence" on the application? I am based in the U.S. and I wonder if there is a possibility that they are reviewing Asian applicants before US applicants.
I put my home country, which is in Asia. I remembered when I searched online, people said "country of residence" should be the country of your passport? could be wrong though

Also anyone has any idea about the certificates for the activities? Most activities I have are student group things so there is no way that I can get certificates for those. Also not sure if the hospital that I volunteered at would give me a certificate...

Also anyone has any idea about the certificates for the activities? Most activities I have are student group things so there is no way that I can get certificates for those. Also not sure if the hospital that I volunteered at would give me a certificate...
Same here. I only brought 1 certificate. I don’t think they need a cert for everything. It seems like mainly for your degree scroll, awards, scholarships etc.

Same here. I only brought 1 certificate. I don’t think they need a cert for everything. It seems like mainly for your degree scroll, awards, scholarships etc.
Okay that would be great. But even for awards and scholarships I don't necessarily have a certificate...would a confirmation email-ish thing work? Like "congratulations you have been awarded blah blah blah"?

Also some of my honors are shown on the transcript, and I have not graduated from undergrad yet. So does that mean bringing a transcript would be enough?

Okay that would be great. But even for awards and scholarships I don't necessarily have a certificate...would a confirmation email-ish thing work? Like "congratulations you have been awarded blah blah blah"?

Also some of my honors are shown on the transcript, and I have not graduated from undergrad yet. So does that mean bringing a transcript would be enough?
You might want to email the admissions staff. They are really helpful, response rate is fast.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey ya’ll! Thought I’d say hello. I’m American and speak only English. I submitted my app to Duke-NUS about a week ago. I had to wait until September because I took my MCAT in August (got a 520). I applied pretty broadly, but Duke-NUS is the only international school I applied to. Wondering how long it took for your applications to be reviewed before getting an II or an R?

I put my home country, which is in Asia. I remembered when I searched online, people said "country of residence" should be the country of your passport? could be wrong though
Have you heard anything yet? I’m a U.S. student, as well, and wondering what kind of timeframe I should be looking at for application review. Thanks!

Hey ya’ll! Thought I’d say hello. I’m American and speak only English. I submitted my app to Duke-NUS about a week ago. I had to wait until September because I took my MCAT in August (got a 520). I applied pretty broadly, but Duke-NUS is the only international school I applied to. Wondering how long it took for your applications to be reviewed before getting an II or an R?
Hi there! I believe since you are based in the US, the only 2 Applicant days that you could potentially be invited to are both in November. They usually send out the invitations ~2 weeks ahead

Hi there! I believe since you are based in the US, the only 2 Applicant days that you could potentially be invited to are both in November. They usually send out the invitations ~2 weeks ahead
Oh I didn’t didn’t know that the November ones were the only ones for U.S. students. October would be so much better for my schedule, BUT, beggars can’t be choosers :p

Oh I didn’t didn’t know that the November ones were the only ones for U.S. students. October would be so much better for my schedule, BUT, beggars can’t be choosers :p

That’s amazing MCAT score by the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s amazing MCAT score by the way!
Thank you so much! I definitely studied hard all summer long before I took it! I was hoping for about 2 points higher, but jitters got the better of me during C/P before I settled into a groove. All in all though I’m super happy that the last 3.5 years of studying my butt off in school paid off! Most of my friends were chegging their homework while I was grinding away for hours on end.

Hopefully all the hard work will help me get an acceptance and begin the next chapter!

Hi All,

Any tips on studying for the MCAT? I am currently working and I am struggling to absorb all the Content. It’s not difficult however any recommendations or advice/tips would be great!

Thank you

Hi All,

Any tips on studying for the MCAT? I am currently working and I am struggling to absorb all the Content. It’s not difficult however any recommendations or advice/tips would be great!

Thank you
How much are you working? Whatever that number is, if you can lower it without ending up on the streets, do it. My strategy was pretty simple. I made MCAT my job for two-and-a-half months during the summer. I lived poor, but I worked at it about 40 hours a week just like a job. I wasn't able to afford fancy classes, but I did have UWorld Question banks, Kaplan QBank, Kaplan Books, and all sorts of both free diagnostic and paid practice tests. I also used all the AAMC material (from a FAP waiver).

I did a single Jack Westin passage per day to keep my CARS speed up. I then would take some kind of diagnostic (like Kaplan Qbank), pick whatever I was worst at and work on it all day long. Next day, rinse and repeat. I did this for the whole summer and moved the needle from something like a mid 480 initial diagnostic to a 520 on test day. I think that was even low for how I had been doing, but jitters got the best of me during the first 30 minutes of the test.

The key is consistency. I didn't follow a structured program or the same path as anyone else. I just kept working on my weakest point until there was a new weakest point. I liked Kaplan better than anything for picking out my weak points because it breaks material down into small subsections so that you can really focus on one weak point all day long.

Another week no II. C’mon Duke-NUS! No R Please!

Hi All,

Thank you
I went through a lot of videos in khan academy before reading the books. I find it easier to have a overall view of the subject matter first.

I feel MCAT is mainly about understanding the format as well. I did quite a number of practise tests.

All the best!!!!!

I went through a lot of videos in khan academy before reading the books. I find it easier to have a overall view of the subject matter first.

I feel MCAT is mainly about understanding the format as well. I did quite a number of practise tests.

All the best!!!!!
Thanks heaps :)

How much are you working? Whatever that number is, if you can lower it without ending up on the streets, do it. My strategy was pretty simple. I made MCAT my job for two-and-a-half months during the summer. I lived poor, but I worked at it about 40 hours a week just like a job. I wasn't able to afford fancy classes, but I did have UWorld Question banks, Kaplan QBank, Kaplan Books, and all sorts of both free diagnostic and paid practice tests. I also used all the AAMC material (from a FAP waiver).

I did a single Jack Westin passage per day to keep my CARS speed up. I then would take some kind of diagnostic (like Kaplan Qbank), pick whatever I was worst at and work on it all day long. Next day, rinse and repeat. I did this for the whole summer and moved the needle from something like a mid 480 initial diagnostic to a 520 on test day. I think that was even low for how I had been doing, but jitters got the best of me during the first 30 minutes of the test.

The key is consistency. I didn't follow a structured program or the same path as anyone else. I just kept working on my weakest point until there was a new weakest point. I liked Kaplan better than anything for picking out my weak points because it breaks material down into small subsections so that you can really focus on one weak point all day long.
Thank you for that :) I work a 9-6pm job. I have purchased the AAMC materials. I am trying to cover the content before attempting the questions. Hopefully I will be able to speed up :). Thanks heaps for your invaluable advice!

Thank you for that :) I work a 9-6pm job. I have purchased the AAMC materials. I am trying to cover the content before attempting the questions. Hopefully I will be able to speed up :). Thanks heaps for your invaluable advice!
One thing I found helpful was going through the AAMC material more than once but with enough time in between to have to figure it out again without remember the answers.

Anyone secured an A yet? Wondering if there is a class profile page somewhere for folks as they accept.

Hi everyone,

I’ve got a question about the WES application. I was from a local polytechnic, I completed a 3 yr diploma and went on to pursue my bachelors degree for 1 year, due to 2 years of credit exemptions.

Would I need to send in my poly transcripts or would just the uni transcripts do?

The website says send in if less than a year? I completed 1 year so I’m assuming I don’t need to send in my polytechnic transcripts?

Anyone experienced smth similar? I tried emailing and calling WES but they are very unhelpful and unclear.

EF87A49A-16C6-4110-84C9-D957223869E5.png

Anyone secured an A yet? Wondering if there is a class profile page somewhere for folks as they accept.
I attended the applicant day, and they said that they’ll only have decisions emailed out one to two months after your applicant day.
Probably one more month before anyone will hear back from them

Hi everyone,

I’ve got a question about the WES application. I was from a local polytechnic, I completed a 3 yr diploma and went on to pursue my bachelors degree for 1 year, due to 2 years of credit exemptions.

Would I need to send in my poly transcripts or would just the uni transcripts do?

The website says send in if less than a year? I completed 1 year so I’m assuming I don’t need to send in my polytechnic transcripts?

Anyone experienced smth similar? I tried emailing and calling WES but they are very unhelpful and unclear.

View attachment 281908
Have you asked the Duke-NUS admissions? They may be able to help.

I did, they asked me to contact WES...
I guess you could either send in everything, or just send in your uni transcripts and wait for them to ask for more documents if they needed it?
Is there any difference in costs (mailing etc.) between the two?
I would think that if you were exempted, it meant that your diploma modules were equivalent to the ones in uni and therefore would count as part of your uni transcript.
P.S. Just guessing, I wasn’t in this situation so I wouldn’t know for sure.

I attended the applicant day, and they said that they’ll only have decisions emailed out one to two months after your applicant day.
Probably one more month before anyone will hear back from them
Thanks. Was just wondering what kind of pace they work on.

A bit late but just receive an interview offerFinally.
Does anyone attend the 14th Oct applicant day too?
BTW, is it okay if I switch my applicant day to 11 Nov? Cos I have first aid examination on 13 th Oct.
P. S. I am an international student.

A bit late but just receive an interview offerFinally.
Does anyone attend the 14th Oct applicant day too?
BTW, is it okay if I switch my applicant day to 11 Nov? Cos I have first aid examination on 13 th Oct.
P. S. I am an international student.
I also just received the II for Oct 14th. I do plan to attend.
The question is where to stay...

Are there any current students on here or peeps gonna interview on Oct 14th? Really hoping to get a dinner reservation at Jiu Gong Ge if anyone is interested!

Hi everyone,

Hey I'm in a similar position as you, and I was only required to send in my bachelors degree to WES. Hope that helps!

Anyone knows the lowest gpa that NUS DUKE Has accepted
They never quite publish their lowest. Just the average. My GPA not great, 3.5ish.

Heard from the Yr 1 students that it’s rather holistic, someone got super low MCAT, but his degree made up for it.

Lowest, according to the Prof during open house is just 2nd upp. He didn’t mentioned about gpa specifically.

They never quite publish their lowest. Just the average. My GPA not great, 3.5ish.

Heard from the Yr 1 students that it’s rather holistic, someone got super low MCAT, but his degree made up for it.

Lowest, according to the Prof during open house is just 2nd upp. He didn’t mentioned about gpa specifically.

Thanks for your answer. I'm wondering if the school prefers Singaporeans over other students from foreign countries in terms of admissions!

Thanks for your answer. I'm wondering if the school prefers Singaporeans over other students from foreign countries in terms of admissions!

Doesn't seem like there is any preferences. According to them, current Year 1s are pretty diverse group, from all over the world.

But (personally) I think percentage of Singaporeans is high mainly because it's not easy for foreigners to commit to 5 years bond in Singapore, after houseman year. That is essentially a 10 year commitment to Singapore (4 +1 + 5).

Singapore is a lovely country in its own way. I love it! But it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Would be good to visit our country, talk to some of the locals, understand how the medical scene operates here, before deciding? :)

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't seem like there is any preferences. According to them, current Year 1s are pretty diverse group, from all over the world.

But (personally) I think percentage of Singaporeans is high mainly because it's not easy for foreigners to commit to 5 years bond in Singapore, after houseman year. That is essentially a 10 year commitment to Singapore (4 +1 + 5).

Singapore is a lovely country in its own way. I love it! But it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Would be good to visit our country, talk to some of the locals, understand how the medical scene operates here, before deciding? :)

Thanks for your prompt response. That's a good point. If I get an offer from the Duke-NUS, I will visit the school and affiliated hospitals to know more about the environment in Singapore! Thanks!

Just invited for an interview. See you all on Nov 16 :)

Hey there and Congrats! Are you Singaporean or International?
I am an international who does not have a connection with Singapore! Because I am currently in the U.S, I will have the interview in Durham.

Hi guys,
After you guys reply to your Interview Invite email to confirm your attendance, did the admission team reply back? Thanks,

Hi guys,
After you guys reply to your Interview Invite email to confirm your attendance, did the admission team reply back? Thanks,
Yes. They did to mine, but could be because I had a question.

Hi guys,
Didn’t have any questions for them, but still received a ‘Thanks for your confirmation’ email.