2019-2020 LECOM-E Post Bacc (Masters program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you tell me what the class schedule is like? When are classes usually done for the day?

class time is generally from 2p-6p. if they change it they will email you. you get a 10 min break approx. every hour where you can stretch your legs, use the bathroom, get a drink at the water fountain.

attached is an example of our class schedule from fall 2018

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Fall 2018 Post Bacc Schedule.pdf
    341 KB · Views: 183
Thanks so much for your clarification. This helps. Would you recommend trying to learn some anatomy beforehand for those who’ve never taken it before?

I think that the professors do an amazing job at teaching anatomy and letting you know the specific things that are high yield for the exam and eventually boards. so in my opinion you don't need to learn anatomy beforehand, but I guess it never hurts to review it :) I got an A in anatomy without taking it prior to post bacc. was getting an A hard and super stressful, yes but it can be done

for anyone that is interested here is an example of part of a biochem "study guide" I would make from the learning objectives.

I would make a study guide for each lecture. it is essentially combining the powerpoint slides (I print & cut out the slides I think are high yield and paste to my study guide) with my notes from class/the book to explain the lecture in my own words. it takes a lot of time and effort making these but they really helped me succeed. on average, my study guides were 10-15 pgs per lecture.

Attachments

• biochem example SG.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 230
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone! just wanted to reach out. I just finished up the lecom-e post bacc 2018-2019. I was accepted into my 1st choice pathway in their medical school in erie (DSP-directed study pathway).

stats:
undergrad cGPA: 2.8 --math major
undergrad sGPA: 3.1 (took majority of premed pre-reqs my junior & senior year & at community college/online after I graduated)
MCAT 499
took a 2 year gap between undergrad and post bacc
worked as a nursing aide for 5 years
LECOM-E post bacc fall sem GPA: 4.0 (fall course load was a bit easier in my opinion but the transition/learning how to study is what makes it hard)
LECOM-E post bacc spring sem GPA: 3.8 (spring course load is definitely harder)

looking at my incoming stats I was truly an underdog and im so happy that LECOM gave me this chance. I really, really wanted this so I put my head down, worked my butt off during post bacc and succeeded! I was able to manage my time so that I could go to the gym for 1-1.5 hrs each day. honestly, if I can do this, you can too!!!

feel free to message me if you have any questions!! good luck :)
If you don’t mind me asking, how exactly does the financial aid work? Between financial aid and loans did you have enough money to cover tuition/ rent/ books/ gas etc? Thank you!!

If you don’t mind me asking, how exactly does the financial aid work? Between financial aid and loans did you have enough money to cover tuition/ rent/ books/ gas etc? Thank you!!

Hey, so yeah our tuition was about $7k per semester I believe. With that being said you could take out about 15k per semester so you'd have the remainder for living expenses. Luckily my fiance works full time and I baby sat/pet sat in my free time so I did not need to use my loan for living expenses but I know a lot of classmates that did!

From what I talked to financial aid you are offered the amount shown in the right hand side in the Erie section. (See attached)Anything more you need to find alternate money sources/loans. They will begin sending financial aid offers in July and money isn’t dispersed until 2 weeks after class starts.

Attachments

• C455F216-0227-4B29-A64F-3215E2073DD2.png
    C455F216-0227-4B29-A64F-3215E2073DD2.png
    147 KB · Views: 169
From what I talked to financial aid you are offered the amount shown in the right hand side in the Erie section. (See attached)Anything more you need to find alternate money sources/loans. They will begin sending financial aid offers in July and money isn’t dispersed until 2 weeks after class starts.

So it looks like tuition is somewhere around 21k for the Erie MMS program and you can take out 47k for the year. I believe they just estimated cost of rent, transportation, etc. All that you are responsible for paying on that chart is the school stuff like tuition, tech fee, health insurance if you don't have a waiver. I think the rest is just an estimate.

I hope this helps?? :)

So it looks like tuition is somewhere around 21k for the Erie MMS program and you can take out 47k for the year. I believe they just estimated cost of rent, transportation, etc. All that you are responsible for paying on that chart is the school stuff like tuition, tech fee, health insurance if you don't have a waiver. I think the rest is just an estimate.

I hope this helps?? :)
All this info was great. Thank you guys!!

I just got my acceptance letter a few day ago! Do you guys know how long we have to respond?

Does any one have any input on the textbook list and if they are all a necessity? I’ve always been one to get every book i’ve been told was recommended for a class but have been told by other post bacc students they only purchased one or two. any info helps!

I just got my acceptance letter a few day ago! Do you guys know how long we have to respond?
It should be written on the second sheet of paper you got along with the acceptance letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Does any one have any input on the textbook list and if they are all a necessity? I’ve always been one to get every book i’ve been told was recommended for a class but have been told by other post bacc students they only purchased one or two. any info helps!

I think the professors do a really good job testing on the material within their ppts. I had pdf versions of the textbooks just in case if I didn't understand anything from lecture but rarely used them. The only book that I recommend getting is the Histology Textbook because that class is directed study and you'll see histology in both the fall semester and spring semester (in Anatomy). I really like the pdf version because you can zoom in on the figures to clearly see the differences between cells.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone! just wanted to reach out. I just finished up the lecom-e post bacc 2018-2019. I was accepted into my 1st choice pathway in their medical school in erie (DSP-directed study pathway).

stats:
undergrad cGPA: 2.8 --math major
undergrad sGPA: 3.1 (took majority of premed pre-reqs my junior & senior year & at community college/online after I graduated)
MCAT 499
took a 2 year gap between undergrad and post bacc
worked as a nursing aide for 5 years
LECOM-E post bacc fall sem GPA: 4.0 (fall course load was a bit easier in my opinion but the transition/learning how to study is what makes it hard)
LECOM-E post bacc spring sem GPA: 3.8 (spring course load is definitely harder)

looking at my incoming stats I was truly an underdog and im so happy that LECOM gave me this chance. I really, really wanted this so I put my head down, worked my butt off during post bacc and succeeded! I was able to manage my time so that I could go to the gym for 1-1.5 hrs each day. honestly, if I can do this, you can too!!!

feel free to message me if you have any questions!! good luck :)
Thanks for all the helpful info! Kinda random, but what’s the attendance policy? I think I read somewhere that they had one

Thanks for all the helpful info! Kinda random, but what’s the attendance policy? I think I read somewhere that they had one

Mandatory Lectures M-F, usually get out before 6 PM though.

My decision letter is on it's way. Completed my application May 20th and my status changed to decision made on May 23. 3.29c GPA and 501 MCAT. Feeling super nervous, I went to undergrad in the Erie area and would love to come back to the area.

Can anyone give me details on what an acceptance letter looks like when it arrives (is it a big packet or a small letter, ect)?? Has anyone received a denial?

My decision letter is on it's way. Completed my application May 20th and my status changed to decision made on May 23. 3.29c GPA and 501 MCAT. Feeling super nervous, I went to undergrad in the Erie area and would love to come back to the area.

Can anyone give me details on what an acceptance letter looks like when it arrives (is it a big packet or a small letter, ect)?? Has anyone received a denial?

The acceptance letter comes in a standard mail envelope and there is the letter and another sheet with a information on how to pay your matriculation fee. Good luck

Hi guys! My cGPA is 3.334, and sGPA is 3.098 and MCAT of 507. I just submitted my app today and spoke to Jamie on the phone who said the committee is meeting next Wednesday to make a decision.

(1) Is it too late for me to apply?
(2) Has anyone with similar stats gotten in to the program recently?

LECOM is my top choice so just nervous about hearing back.

Hi guys! My cGPA is 3.334, and sGPA is 3.098 and MCAT of 507. I just submitted my app today and spoke to Jamie on the phone who said the committee is meeting next Wednesday to make a decision.

(1) Is it too late for me to apply?
(2) Has anyone with similar stats gotten in to the program recently?

LECOM is my top choice so just nervous about hearing back.

Definitely not too late, the deadline is still a month away. You MCAT is definitely about average, so you should apply. I think you have a very high chance of getting in.

just got my acceptance letter today, does anyone know if I could pay the application fee online somehow or is it only by check?

Hey guys. I just got accepted to both erie and the florida one. What are the advantages of the erie campus?

Reactions: 2 users
The acceptance letter comes in a standard mail envelope and there is the letter and another sheet with a information on how to pay your matriculation fee. Good luck
Thank you! It actually arrived today and I was accepted. I’m canceling my interview with Texas Tech. I’m waiting to hear back from Rosalind Franklin but I’m pretty sure I’m choosing LECOM.

Hey guys. I just got accepted to both erie and the florida one. What are the advantages of the erie campus?
I also got in to both schools. I am most likely going for PA since I didn't get any contigency acceptance from them. My plan is to just focus and do well on the program and not retake the MCAT. However, I will need to clarify this with Jamie because I've taken my MCAT in 2018 and got a 497, which is at 40th percentile. However, the 2019 MCAT put my score to 37th percentile.

I think the main advantage is the pathways selection (LDP, PBL [Erie, Seton Hill], DSP), Florida is PBL only.

I am very excited to move and start this program but i am a little bit worried that there will be a lot of students in this program. I am not sure how will that work with the admission if most of us got the 3.4 gpa and 40 percentile of the mcat. does anyone of you have the same worries?

I am very excited to move and start this program but i am a little bit worried that there will be a lot of students in this program. I am not sure how will that work with the admission if most of us got the 3.4 gpa and 40 percentile of the mcat. does anyone of you have the same worries?
I’m pretty sure a lot of them don’t make the GPA cut. I think I read somewhere they hold seats for our class specifically. The previous student said everyone she knew that met the requirements got in as long as they took the interview seriously. But if you get in any legal trouble outside of school your acceptance is revoked. So assumably if you get the grades, MCAT and take the interview seriously you shouldn’t have to worry. It’s like 7 science classes a semester basically so sometimes people just can’t handle that.

just got my acceptance letter today, does anyone know if I could pay the application fee online somehow or is it only by check?
I emailed Jamie about this who had said there is no way to pay online, must be by mail.

I had 499 in May of 2018 - CAR was my lowest grade since English is my second language. Do you guys think that will meet the 40 percentile cut in 2019? I am very nervous and I don't think I have the energy and time to take it again. Where can check that, please?

If you hear back from Jamie, will you please let us know? I also got a 497 in 2018 and share this same concern!
I heard back from Jamie and this is what he said "
did see that number yesterday for the first time.
At this point, we will be sticking with 497, but it is something we will be bringing up to the Provost and the admissions committee to be certain we pass along the correct information."

At this point, we will be sticking with 497, but it is something we will be bringing up to the Provost and the admissions committee to be certain we pass along the correct information."
That didn't realanswer our question haha.
I hope it is 497 tho, bec I'm about to sell my house, quit my job, be in debt and move to PA only to find out I didn't meet the MCAT cut off

That didn't realanswer our question haha.

I hope it is 497 tho, bec I'm about to sell my house, quit my job, be in debt and move to PA only to find out I didn't meet the MCAT cut off
I am so proud to have someone so committed as you in my future classes.

Hey guys, I graduated with a cGPA 3.31, have been scribing in the ER for the past 1.5 years. I just wanted to know if someone has received an acceptance to the Master's program with less than a 497? If yes, what was the score?

I honestly am a terrible test taker, my SATs were horrible as well. I do not meet the AIS score, however, I did graduate with a general science degree from Penn State.
I get my MCAT score back on 6/25/19, hopefully, I did well, but I doubt it.

Ugh this sucks.

Hey guys, I graduated with a cGPA 3.31, have been scribing in the ER for the past 1.5 years. I just wanted to know if someone has received an acceptance to the Master's program with less than a 497? If yes, what was the score?

I honestly am a terrible test taker, my SATs were horrible as well. I do not meet the AIS score, however, I did graduate with a general science degree from Penn State.
I get my MCAT score back on 6/25/19, hopefully, I did well, but I doubt it.

Ugh this sucks.

You’re fine I’m certain they will accept you! 495 MCAT 3.7 GPA and I was accepted in January.

Anyone happen to know if there's an attendance policy? I'm going to be commuting an hour and winter's can be rough

If I dont meet the 40% mcat percentile can I use my ais score index to get the interview if I meet the GPA cutt off?

I sent my application last Thursday, got a decision portal update today, I'm moving from this address does anyone know who I can contact to get my decision? Plus do you think its a rejection cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.3 AIS 119?

I sent my application last Thursday, got a decision portal update today, I'm moving from this address does anyone know who I can contact to get my decision? Plus do you think its a rejection cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.3 AIS 119?
Sounds like you're good. Contact Jamie Murphy ([email protected]) super cool guy super quick to respond

Do I send my letters via Interfolio and my transcript electronically to Jamie’s email address or is there another email? I tried to email him but have yet to receive a response :( thanks!

hi! for those who got in how did you receive your booklist? was it through snail mail and how long did it take? I'm worried bc I moved and i didnt get a chance to forward my mail until a week or two later >.< thx!

hi! for those who got in how did you receive your booklist? was it through snail mail and how long did it take? I'm worried bc I moved and i didnt get a chance to forward my mail until a week or two later >.< thx!
Email