2019-2020 LECOM-E Post Bacc (Masters program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I graduated with a 3.31c and my AIS is 96. Do you think I will get accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! Congrats on your acceptances! I'm a current MMS student (dental track) so feel free to AMA.

A couple of things about the program:

-The program is ~10 months --> Summer (9 credits), Fall (14 credits) and Spring (15 credits) - all classes are taken in the dental building
- It's business/professional attire weekdays until 5pm (weekend is whatever)
- building is security access so you'll need a badge to get in and out and you'll get a parking permit (both free)
- It's a small school, 2 lecture halls, maybe 20 PBL rooms located in the library for private study. School is open 6-11, library is open 7-11.
- you will be introduced to the infamous PBL style learning in fall and spring
- You can study at the med school library next door if you need a change of scenery
- You're not allowed to drink water anywhere but the cafeteria (stupid rule, I drink water in the lecture hall all the time BUT don't do it in the library... you'll get in trouble).
- You'll love some professors (Dr. Hussein for physiology) and you'll realllllly dislike others but that can't be helped. Most of the professors want you to succeed though.
- Lakewood ranch is a really nice area and the apartments are nice too (but a little pricey).
- It's possible to commute (we have people who drive from Tampa, Wesley Chapel, Naples, etc) but it makes things a little harder
- all exams and quizzes are taken on your laptop via examsoft so be sure to have a solid laptop.
- Attendance is required and LECOM takes this pretty seriously. Not my favorite rule but it's important to go to lectures so you don't get behind.
- Cafeteria food is decent and cheap but it's cash only. They have an IOU system if you forget money one day though, which is nice. The med school cafeteria is better imo though. Most people bring their own lunches (there are microwaves available to heat up your food).
- The program is definitely challenging but if you really want to get into Med/Dental school then you'll put in the work and make it happen. It's definitely doable.
- they told us we need a 3.2 to get accepted into dental (idk how true that is - we just interviewed last week and are waiting to hear back. I can update then). They did not give Med students a GPA cutoff but implied that 3.4 was a successful GPA last year.

I'm sure there's a lot more I'm not thinking of so feel free to hmu with your questions and I'll try to answer the best I can!
I’m addition:

Transcripts, LOR and other folder items can be mailed in to the address that is provided on the portal OR you can email them electronically to Jamie Murphy and make sure he got them with a heads-up email or following up with him after you send it all in.

I send in most of my transcripts, LOR (through interfolio), and DAT score electronically to his email. That way you do not have to wait so long for them to get your transcripts etc.

Hope that helps prospective applications!
Is there a drug test involved in the process

I have a 3.1 sgpa and 3.4 cgpa for what it's worth
I believe I got in Jaime worded it somewhat differently but I figure I got in, he said "
The committee has looked favorable on your file.
You have until June 21 to return the form with a deposit ($50) to secure your seat"

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe I got in Jaime worded it somewhat differently but I figure I got in, he said "
The committee has looked favorable on your file.
You have until June 21 to return the form with a deposit ($50) to secure your seat"
Was there a drug test involved?

Nothing about a drug test but I have not received my letter because I moved from that address I have to wait for it to be forwarded or get a new letter to the new address @Mmspotentialstudent

Reactions: 1 user
I am very excited to move and start this program but i am a little bit worried that there will be a lot of students in this program. I am not sure how will that work with the admission if most of us got the 3.4 gpa and 40 percentile of the mcat. does anyone of you have the same worries?
I thought the requirement was a 3.2? Did it change to 3.4??

Does anyone know what the average financial aid package usually is?

Is anyone still waiting to hear back?? I turned in my application last week and my admission status still says application is under review.

Guys, i did the whole app, just have to do the personal statement, how long do you think it should be? and what things do you think i should include?! thanks alot

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I applied to this program and am really interested. My gpa is relatively okay at 3.5 but my MCAT is pretty rough at 490. Was wondering if anyone who had gotten into this program had any similar stats? thanks!
Did you get in?

Can someone tell me is it 3.2 or 3.4 to matriculate into the DO school. Also since I have an AIS of 119 would I have to take the MCAT or is a new AIS calculated with the MMS GPA?

I think we got the first acceptances because we applied before reviews began. I applied way back in October. I hear it usually takes about a week for a review and since there is a big program change it might take a little longer because they’ve got a lot on their plates currently.
Does the app open in Sep but they do not review any apps until January??

Does the app open in Sep but they do not review any apps until January??
They are still open right now for this upcoming August. They close July 1st I believe. I’m not sure when they open but they didn’t start sending stuff till late January or February with acceptances. This may change considering they were changing the program and it took them a while to get everything fixed.

Can someone tell me is it 3.2 or 3.4 to matriculate into the DO school. Also since I have an AIS of 119 would I have to take the MCAT or is a new AIS calculated with the MMS GPA?
Yes you do not need to take the MCAT. only need 113 AIS. Also it is a 3.2 - it is NOT true that you need a 3.4 or above. I went to on campus day and they said they actually offered some students with a 3.1 seats in the medical school this year.

I graduated with a 3.31c and my AIS is 96. Do you think I will get accepted?
I would say possibly but going to need to pull off a good mcat to get acceptance into medical school the following year.
I thought the requirement was a 3.2? Did it change to 3.4??
Does anyone know what the average financial aid package usually is?
For Erie I talked to financial aid and I believe you can take up to 47,000 out is what they offer in financial aid.
is there a facebook group for this year's class?
Yes there is https://m.facebook.com/groups/2507454522658079?group_view_referrer=profile_browser
Does anyone know how many total seats are in the 2019-2020 MMS class?
I think it can be up to 200 if I remember right
Guys, i did the whole app, just have to do the personal statement, how long do you think it should be? and what things do you think i should include?! thanks a lot
I read up on medical school personal statement examples and used ideas from those. It shouldn’t exceed the box given but use the area fully.
Anyone know the start date??
aug 5th

They are still open right now for this upcoming August. They close July 1st I believe. I’m not sure when they open but they didn’t start sending stuff till late January or February with acceptances. This may change considering they were changing the program and it took them a while to get everything fixed.
Thanks! Did anyone have any outstanding pre reqs when you applied? Jaimie told me they can’t accept me until I complete an Orgo class. This doesn’t seem valid though because usually you just have to complete outstanding pre reqs before matriculation. I cannot seem to get Jaimie to return any calls lol.I was hoping someone maybe had some insight?

I would say possibly but going to need to pull off a good mcat to get acceptance into medical school the following year.

For Erie I talked to financial aid and I believe you can take up to 47,000 out is what they offer in financial aid.

Yes there is https://m.facebook.com/groups/2507454522658079?group_view_referrer=profile_browser

I think it can be up to 200 if I remember right

I read up on medical school personal statement examples and used ideas from those. It shouldn’t exceed the box given but use the area fully.

aug 5th
Thanks for the great info

Thanks! Did anyone have any outstanding pre reqs when you applied? Jaimie told me they can’t accept me until I complete an Orgo class. This doesn’t seem valid though because usually you just have to complete outstanding pre reqs before matriculation. I cannot seem to get Jaimie to return any calls lol.I was hoping someone maybe had some insight?
You have to email him, he’s not usually in his office but very prompt with email responses. And I guess I’m not understanding your question, if you do not have organic you can’t matriculate the following year - you cannot possibly take any other classes during your masters so you won’t have a chance to take organic while in the masters. Unless you are taking it this summer you won’t have the prerequisites to matriculate the following year. They won’t take anyone who doesn’t have the prerequisites for that reason.

Does anyone know if there's an academic calendar? Like when spring semester starts?

I did! But I had to let them know I planned on retaking the MCAT in July.
Congratulations! My stats are similar to yours, but I applied later than you did. I really hope they accept me. I am taking the MCAT over in late July.

Has anyone heard back recently? I submitted a week ago which isn’t that long but the wait is giving me anxiety haha

Has anyone heard back recently? I submitted a week ago which isn’t that long but the wait is giving me anxiety haha

I applied on Saturday and my portal changed yesterday (Wednesday) morning. Now I’m just waiting for the letter to come in the mail

I applied on Saturday and my portal changed yesterday (Wednesday) morning. Now I’m just waiting for the letter to come in the mail
Mine only changed to 'under review.' Yours says a decision was made?

Is it too late to applied to the MMS program? I didn't know about AIS but regardless mine is only a 106. I changed my career at the last minute during senior year to dental. My cGPA is 3.22 and 3.0sGPA. I do have good LOR on interfolio, does anyone know if I can send those or does it have to be from the professors?

Is it too late to applied to the MMS program? I didn't know about AIS but regardless mine is only a 106. I changed my career at the last minute during senior year to dental. My cGPA is 3.22 and 3.0sGPA. I do have good LOR on interfolio, does anyone know if I can send those or does it have to be from the professors?

Deadline is July 1st, so it is technically not too late. AIS is not high enough though.

Deadline is July 1st, so it is technically not too late. AIS is not high enough though.
Yeah that's what I thought...Well I'll apply next year if needed. Thank you for the reply!

Received my acceptance letter (MMS) yesterday morning

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a place to find roommates and housing options? I am moving all the way from Florida, and I don't know much about the area. Looking for suggestions or roommate possibilities.

Is there a place to find roommates and housing options? I am moving all the way from Florida, and I don't know much about the area. Looking for suggestions or roommate possibilities.

Yes. There is a roommate forum on the LECOM portal in the admissions section after you log in.

Hey all! Congrats on your acceptances! I'm a current MMS student (dental track) so feel free to AMA.

A couple of things about the program:

-The program is ~10 months --> Summer (9 credits), Fall (14 credits) and Spring (15 credits) - all classes are taken in the dental building
- It's business/professional attire weekdays until 5pm (weekend is whatever)
- building is security access so you'll need a badge to get in and out and you'll get a parking permit (both free)
- It's a small school, 2 lecture halls, maybe 20 PBL rooms located in the library for private study. School is open 6-11, library is open 7-11.
- you will be introduced to the infamous PBL style learning in fall and spring
- You can study at the med school library next door if you need a change of scenery
- You're not allowed to drink water anywhere but the cafeteria (stupid rule, I drink water in the lecture hall all the time BUT don't do it in the library... you'll get in trouble).
- You'll love some professors (Dr. Hussein for physiology) and you'll realllllly dislike others but that can't be helped. Most of the professors want you to succeed though.
- Lakewood ranch is a really nice area and the apartments are nice too (but a little pricey).
- It's possible to commute (we have people who drive from Tampa, Wesley Chapel, Naples, etc) but it makes things a little harder
- all exams and quizzes are taken on your laptop via examsoft so be sure to have a solid laptop.
- Attendance is required and LECOM takes this pretty seriously. Not my favorite rule but it's important to go to lectures so you don't get behind.
- Cafeteria food is decent and cheap but it's cash only. They have an IOU system if you forget money one day though, which is nice. The med school cafeteria is better imo though. Most people bring their own lunches (there are microwaves available to heat up your food).
- The program is definitely challenging but if you really want to get into Med/Dental school then you'll put in the work and make it happen. It's definitely doable.
- they told us we need a 3.2 to get accepted into dental (idk how true that is - we just interviewed last week and are waiting to hear back. I can update then). They did not give Med students a GPA cutoff but implied that 3.4 was a successful GPA last year.

I'm sure there's a lot more I'm not thinking of so feel free to hmu with your questions and I'll try to answer the best I can!
I was wondering if you could share the success of yourself and the class?

I was wondering if you could share the success of yourself and the class?

Long story short:

20/22 prospective dental were accepted (the largest group yet) but some are going to other schools. Anyone with a 3.0 or better was accepted. I had a 3.5 ultimately and was accepted.

Pretty much anyone with a 3.3 or better was accepted for med in my class though many of those were waitlisted initially and had to really bring up their grades in the spring.

This is all for the Bradenton, Fl campus/MMS program though. From what I understand, Erie changed their postbacc program to a masters program for the upcoming class. Because Erie was so much harder and more competitive, I had SEVERAL classmates who didn’t do well in Erie and came to the Bradenton campus for the masters in hopes of getting in that way. I hope it’s better for y’all but a class of 200 is a lot of people. We started with 80ish and ended with maybe 70?

Didn't do well in their med school or master's class? I'm most interested in Erie's program because they make it seem like a guarantee if you have a 3.2 and wouldn't require me to retake the MCAT. I have a 3.76 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA but I really struggled with the MCAT so am nervous to bank on a better score next time

Can anyone PM me Jaime Murphys email? I cant seem to find it.

Submitted my app on the 20th, finished the grade input by the 24th, and my portal got updated to say a decision has been made on the 2nd.

Honestly, a bit nervous about the result. I already see theres 120+ people in the facebook page so I'm not sure how many people they will accept

Submitted my app on the 20th, finished the grade input by the 24th, and my portal got updated to say a decision has been made on the 2nd.

Honestly, a bit nervous about the result. I already see theres 120+ people in the facebook page so I'm not sure how many people they will accept
There’s other people in that like past students. Besides I believe they accept upwards of 200.

hi everyone! just wanted to reach out. I just finished up the lecom-e post bacc 2018-2019. I was accepted into my 1st choice pathway in their medical school in erie (DSP-directed study pathway).

stats:
undergrad cGPA: 2.8 --math major
undergrad sGPA: 3.1 (took majority of premed pre-reqs my junior & senior year & at community college/online after I graduated)
MCAT 499
took a 2 year gap between undergrad and post bacc
worked as a nursing aide for 5 years
LECOM-E post bacc fall sem GPA: 4.0 (fall course load was a bit easier in my opinion but the transition/learning how to study is what makes it hard)
LECOM-E post bacc spring sem GPA: 3.8 (spring course load is definitely harder)

looking at my incoming stats I was truly an underdog and im so happy that LECOM gave me this chance. I really, really wanted this so I put my head down, worked my butt off during post bacc and succeeded! I was able to manage my time so that I could go to the gym for 1-1.5 hrs each day. honestly, if I can do this, you can too!!!

feel free to message me if you have any questions!! good luck :)

Hey! What an inspiration. Congratulations! Do you know if they offered interviews for anyone with 495 MCAT scores? Are they very strict about the 498 cutoff for an interview? What was the ratio of students from the MMS program who were accepted into the LECOMmedical school? Also, does the school have amenities like a gym, common area to sit, lounge or study? I visited but was only shown classrooms and anatomy lab. Are you from PA? How were you able to find housing? I am considered starting there in the next few weeks and trying to get my ducks in a row. Thank you in advance for your input.

Hey! What an inspiration. Congratulations! Do you know if they offered interviews for anyone with 495 MCAT scores? Are they very strict about the 498 cutoff for an interview? What was the ratio of students from the MMS program who were accepted into the LECOMmedical school? Also, does the school have amenities like a gym, common area to sit, lounge or study? I visited but was only shown classrooms and anatomy lab. Are you from PA? How were you able to find housing? I am considered starting there in the next few weeks and trying to get my ducks in a row. Thank you in advance for your input.
I am also very interested in how many people matriculated from the post-bacc into the medical school!

I am also very interested in how many people matriculated from the post-bacc into the medical school!
They are strict about the mcat cut off but not GPA cut off. From what they said you meet the requirements you get in if you don’t do stupid stuff like get into bar fights or get DUIs. I don’t remember the exact number they told us at on campus day but if you follow the rules you get in. Don’t have to worry about the statistics, some people don’t study and get 2.0s if you’re not them then you don’t need to worry about them. If you work hard you will do fine

Where did you hear the 498 cut off?