2019-2020 LECOM-E Post Bacc (Masters program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, has anyone heard back from lecom regarding financial aid awards?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, has anyone heard back from lecom regarding financial aid awards?

Should hear this month is what I was told by financial aid. Make sure you have all the documents filled out prior.

Hey! What an inspiration. Congratulations! Do you know if they offered interviews for anyone with 495 MCAT scores? Are they very strict about the 498 cutoff for an interview? What was the ratio of students from the MMS program who were accepted into the LECOMmedical school? Also, does the school have amenities like a gym, common area to sit, lounge or study? I visited but was only shown classrooms and anatomy lab. Are you from PA? How were you able to find housing? I am considered starting there in the next few weeks and trying to get my ducks in a row. Thank you in advance for your input.

- I would contact Jamie about that score. I was at the open house in June and the presentation stated that the score needed is a 497. People have gotten interviews with lower MCAT scores, however, they were only able to do so with their AIS scores; you can calculate yours at the bottom of this page: College of Osteopathic Medicine Entrance Requirements - LECOM Education System.

- I am unaware of how many students were accepted from our class but I have not heard of anyone that got a 3.2 or above that did not get in.

All students have access to the LECOM Wellness Center (https://www.lecomwellness.com/) which is like a 5 minute drive from campus.
Common Study Places:
- LECOM Learning Resource Center: I know some students that studied here... it's a quiet atmosphere and there's a bunch of resources like textbooks, bone boxes, flashcards, etc. Downside is no drinks/food and have to be in dress code during the weekdays until 5:30PM.
- Coffee Culture: This is a little cafe right off of Peach Street. There is a quiet section for students only that's open from 6AM-12AM.
- Nash Library (Gannon University): A lot of LECOM students study here but its a bit of a drive (15 minutes) especially during the winter. It's a very big library so you'll be able to find a spot to study there.

As for places to live, I would check out Laurel Springs, Reserves, or Hammocks. You can also join the accepted students FB group, there're always people looking for roommates. LECOM also has a roommate forum on the portal under the admissions tab, you can check there as well.

Best of luck with everything! :)

Reactions: 1 users
- I would contact Jamie about that score. I was at the open house in June and the presentation stated that the score needed is a 497. People have gotten interviews with lower MCAT scores, however, they were only able to do so with their AIS scores; you can calculate yours at the bottom of this page: College of Osteopathic Medicine Entrance Requirements - LECOM Education System.

- I am unaware of how many students were accepted from our class but I have not heard of anyone that got a 3.2 or above that did not get in.

All students have access to the LECOM Wellness Center (https://www.lecomwellness.com/) which is like a 5 minute drive from campus.
Common Study Places:
- LECOM Learning Resource Center: I know some students that studied here... it's a quiet atmosphere and there's a bunch of resources like textbooks, bone boxes, flashcards, etc. Downside is no drinks/food and have to be in dress code during the weekdays until 5:30PM.
- Coffee Culture: This is a little cafe right off of Peach Street. There is a quiet section for students only that's open from 6AM-12AM.
- Nash Library (Gannon University): A lot of LECOM students study here but its a bit of a drive (15 minutes) especially during the winter. It's a very big library so you'll be able to find a spot to study there.

As for places to live, I would check out Laurel Springs, Reserves, or Hammocks. You can also join the accepted students FB group, there're always people looking for roommates. LECOM also has a roommate forum on the portal under the admissions tab, you can check there as well.

Best of luck with everything! :)
Thank you! That was very helpful.

Got my acceptance letter today!

The letter does say that a MCAT score of 40th percentile or higher (or and AIS of 113+) is required to be eligible for the DO program.

Attachments

• IMG_9596.JPG
    IMG_9596.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: 1 user
Got my acceptance letter today!

The letter does say that a MCAT score of 40th percentile or higher (or and AIS of 113+) is required to be eligible for the DO program.
I'm so jealous of people that don't have to take the MCAT.

Did anyone buy a laptop yet?

Has anyone else had trouble trying to contact the office of financial aid? I left a message and emailed them today, but they have not responded. This whole loan process seems a little intimidating.

Has anyone else had trouble trying to contact the office of financial aid? I left a message and emailed them today, but they have not responded. This whole loan process seems a little intimidating.
I'm going to go down there for the picture I was just going to stop at the office

I forget people don't all live near there though so I guess if you don't then just keep calling

Members don't see this ad :)
I called them last month and had no issues. Just make sure it’s not around lunch time because they could be out of the office.

Anyone looking for a female roommate? I have no idea where to start with finding a place.

For those of you who have been accepted - are there any resources we can use to get a head start with studying for the program?

I spoke with someone today. I am waiting for an "award package".

I spoke with someone today. I am waiting for an "award package".
Yeah, I dont even know what I did when the sent an email with all the supplementary things I needed to do, all I know is that I am done

Got my acceptance letter on July 3rd after applying on June 30th! Was applying to dental this cycle and did not expect to get in, and am now pretty stressed about housing, tuition, ect. However, this MMS program seems like a great opportunity and I can't wait to meet all of y'all! If anyone is looking for a male roommate please dm me.

Got my acceptance letter on July 3rd after applying on June 30th! Was applying to dental this cycle and did not expect to get in, and am now pretty stressed about housing, tuition, ect. However, this MMS program seems like a great opportunity and I can't wait to meet all of y'all! If anyone is looking for a male roommate please dm me.
Congrats! Make sure you do all of your financial aid stuff fast so you can be sure to be able to take out loans for your tuition if need be. Lots of good housing but call ASAP bc most close apartments are selling out. Can’t wait, only a few more weeks!

Reactions: 3 users
Are you all in touch with any graduates of MMS who are in school now? It would be helpful if they post here a few study tips and how they tackled their hardest classes.

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid? Don’t wanna be a pain calling them as I’m sure they have a lot going on but with starting in 3 weeks I’m really eager to know about the financial aid.

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid? Don’t wanna be a pain calling them as I’m sure they have a lot going on but with starting in 3 weeks I’m really eager to know about the financial aid.
Same, I don't even know how the loans work

They told me it would “just be sometime in July”

Are you all in touch with any graduates of MMS who are in school now? It would be helpful if they post here a few study tips and how they tackled their hardest classes.

Cell Biology & Biochemistry:
Cell Bio was not as bad as it seemed back then when we first started. I think this was largely due to it being our first course and us not really knowing what we were expected to know for the exams. I was able to get an A in this course without any additional resources. Understand (and not just memorize) the material in this class and it’ll make your future classes a lot easier.

Since this was the first course, I didn’t really know how to effectively study and pretty much rewrote all the lecture notes by hand (this was very time consuming, so it didn’t work later on in the semester for classes like Physiology and Biochemistry).

There is a lot of overlap between Biochem and Cell Bio. Both classes require a lot of memorization, but more importantly the understanding of the material. Rewriting my notes by hand did not work for Biochem so I began typing up the notes and copying/pasting figures from the PPTs. It became more structured and less repetitive than the study guides I had for Cell Bio.

In addition to the study guides I made, I also used BRS Biochemistry. There’re a bunch of questions at the end of each chapter. What I would do is, the week before a test I would pull questions from the book and put into a PPT. I would then meet up with my study group (3-4 others) and go over the questions together (we gave ourselves ~72 sec/question because this is how it would be like on the exam). After each question/every 3 questions, we would take time to discuss the choices and why they’re right/wrong.

Microbiology:
Mostly memorization. A lot of people used Sketchy Microbiology or made charts. In the beginning, I went about this class the same way as the others and made my study guides. Towards the middle of the semester, I changed it up a little, my group began to make their own “sketchy” pictures to help remember all the organisms… this really helped on the exams and was definitely easier to recall specific characteristics for all the microbes during finals week.

Histology:
Best way to learn histology is to look at histological slides. The textbook has a lot of pictures and gives you an idea what certain cells and cellular structures should look like. Do all the virtual lab stuff that the professor assigns (LUMEN - Virtual Histology - Epithelium) and use this website as well: Histology Guide

I copied and pasted slides into a PPT and continuously went through them the week before the test (about 30 minutes each day). Towards the end, for the final I just randomly put all the PPT slides together and sped through them.

Physiology:
This was the hardest course of the fall semester. Pay really close attention during the first few lectures (Cell Physiology, Fluids, Electrophysiology, ANS) of this course and get any questions/confusions answered because you will be using these concepts over and over again in different body systems. Like biochemistry, I pulled questions from BRS, Guyton and Hall Physiology, and Physiology PreTest Self Assessment and Review prior to exams.

Critical Thinking:
Pre-made Quizlets, studied them the night before the exam and did well.

Immunology:
There aren’t many points in this class so try to do your best on the first two exams. There’s a decent amount of memorization but you’ll get a good feel of what’s probably going to be asked on the test (professor will spend a lot of time talking about the topic).

Genetics:
Class is mostly memorization. I organized all the disorders into a chart which made memorizing easier.

Pathology:
Memorization heavy as well but you’ll see a lot of overlap from Genetics and Immunology. Highly recommend the Robbins Review book for questions. I made study guides at first but transitioned to charts towards the end of the course. The ppts are often 100-140 slides long so I really tried to condense them.

Intro to Clinical Medicine:
This is a DS course. I used pre-made quizlets mainly and skimmed through the textbook readings and was fine.

Pharmacology:
Similar to microbiology. A lot of people used SketchyPharm. I chose to make my own charts and color-coded them and it worked well for me. Practice questions came from BRS and Pharmacology PreTest Self-Assessment.

Anatomy:
What really helped me with this class was making mnemonics/using other people’s mnemonics. We’re also given a clinical supplement at the beginning of the semester which has a lot of high yield material in it so definitely go over that. Practice Questions came from Gray’s Anatomy Review; the professors usually put up a document of question numbers to do from the book and going through them was definitely helpful.

Schedule M-F

7/8: Attempt to go to Gym

9-10: Breakfast/Shower

10:30-12:30: Review study guide from previous day(s) [1hr] and pre-view/outline lecture for that day [1hr]

12:30-1:30: Break/Lunch

2-6: Lecture (Lectures usually get out before 6 but on some days it’ll go all 4 hours)

6:30-8: Netflix/Dinner/Break (Earlier if we get out of class early)

8-12: Make study guide/charts

12-7: Sleep (Always try to sleep 7 hours)

Schedule Sat-Sun

9: Breakfast

10-12: Errands

12:30: Lunch

1-5: Review study guides/charts (rarely went back to PPTs)

5:30/6: Netflix/Dinner/Break

7-10: Finish reviewing study guides/charts (Practice questions on test weekends, usually Saturday, so I know what to focus on)

10-12: Chill

REPEAT

Feel free to PM with any questions!

Reactions: 7 users
Cell Biology & Biochemistry:
Cell Bio was not as bad as it seemed back then when we first started. I think this was largely due to it being our first course and us not really knowing what we were expected to know for the exams. I was able to get an A in this course without any additional resources. Understand (and not just memorize) the material in this class and it’ll make your future classes a lot easier.

Since this was the first course, I didn’t really know how to effectively study and pretty much rewrote all the lecture notes by hand (this was very time consuming, so it didn’t work later on in the semester for classes like Physiology and Biochemistry).

There is a lot of overlap between Biochem and Cell Bio. Both classes require a lot of memorization, but more importantly the understanding of the material. Rewriting my notes by hand did not work for Biochem so I began typing up the notes and copying/pasting figures from the PPTs. It became more structured and less repetitive than the study guides I had for Cell Bio.

In addition to the study guides I made, I also used BRS Biochemistry. There’re a bunch of questions at the end of each chapter. What I would do is, the week before a test I would pull questions from the book and put into a PPT. I would then meet up with my study group (3-4 others) and go over the questions together (we gave ourselves ~72 sec/question because this is how it would be like on the exam). After each question/every 3 questions, we would take time to discuss the choices and why they’re right/wrong.

Microbiology:
Mostly memorization. A lot of people used Sketchy Microbiology or made charts. In the beginning, I went about this class the same way as the others and made my study guides. Towards the middle of the semester, I changed it up a little, my group began to make their own “sketchy” pictures to help remember all the organisms… this really helped on the exams and was definitely easier to recall specific characteristics for all the microbes during finals week.

Histology:
Best way to learn histology is to look at histological slides. The textbook has a lot of pictures and gives you an idea what certain cells and cellular structures should look like. Do all the virtual lab stuff that the professor assigns (LUMEN - Virtual Histology - Epithelium) and use this website as well: Histology Guide

I copied and pasted slides into a PPT and continuously went through them the week before the test (about 30 minutes each day). Towards the end, for the final I just randomly put all the PPT slides together and sped through them.

Physiology:
This was the hardest course of the fall semester. Pay really close attention during the first few lectures (Cell Physiology, Fluids, Electrophysiology, ANS) of this course and get any questions/confusions answered because you will be using these concepts over and over again in different body systems. Like biochemistry, I pulled questions from BRS, Guyton and Hall Physiology, and Physiology PreTest Self Assessment and Review prior to exams.

Critical Thinking:
Pre-made Quizlets, studied them the night before the exam and did well.

Immunology:
There aren’t many points in this class so try to do your best on the first two exams. There’s a decent amount of memorization but you’ll get a good feel of what’s probably going to be asked on the test (professor will spend a lot of time talking about the topic).

Genetics:
Class is mostly memorization. I organized all the disorders into a chart which made memorizing easier.

Pathology:
Memorization heavy as well but you’ll see a lot of overlap from Genetics and Immunology. Highly recommend the Robbins Review book for questions. I made study guides at first but transitioned to charts towards the end of the course. The ppts are often 100-140 slides long so I really tried to condense them.

Intro to Clinical Medicine:
This is a DS course. I used pre-made quizlets mainly and skimmed through the textbook readings and was fine.

Pharmacology:
Similar to microbiology. A lot of people used SketchyPharm. I chose to make my own charts and color-coded them and it worked well for me. Practice questions came from BRS and Pharmacology PreTest Self-Assessment.

Anatomy:
What really helped me with this class was making mnemonics/using other people’s mnemonics. We’re also given a clinical supplement at the beginning of the semester which has a lot of high yield material in it so definitely go over that. Practice Questions came from Gray’s Anatomy Review; the professors usually put up a document of question numbers to do from the book and going through them was definitely helpful.

Schedule M-F

7/8: Attempt to go to Gym

9-10: Breakfast/Shower

10:30-12:30: Review study guide from previous day(s) [1hr] and pre-view/outline lecture for that day [1hr]

12:30-1:30: Break/Lunch

2-6: Lecture (Lectures usually get out before 6 but on some days it’ll go all 4 hours)

6:30-8: Netflix/Dinner/Break (Earlier if we get out of class early)

8-12: Make study guide/charts

12-7: Sleep (Always try to sleep 7 hours)

Schedule Sat-Sun

9: Breakfast

10-12: Errands

12:30: Lunch

1-5: Review study guides/charts (rarely went back to PPTs)

5:30/6: Netflix/Dinner/Break

7-10: Finish reviewing study guides/charts (Practice questions on test weekends, usually Saturday, so I know what to focus on)

10-12: Chill

REPEAT

Feel free to PM with any questions!
Awesome! Thank you for posting this!

Congrats! Make sure you do all of your financial aid stuff fast so you can be sure to be able to take out loans for your tuition if need be. Lots of good housing but call ASAP bc most close apartments are selling out. Can’t wait, only a few more weeks!
Hi, I’m having trouble finding housing...when you say lots? How do you find them?

Hi, I’m having trouble finding housing...when you say lots? How do you find them?
Also there is a fb group for the MMS program some people have places and are looking for roommates. You can possibly also contact the school they have properties sometimes and they don’t list them publicly always. I found mine on apartments.com

The cut off should actually be 497.
I’m super confused on how the percentiles work but I keep seeing a 497 is 39%. Does Lecom round up?

Attachments

• DD476AD6-B07F-4D00-BB19-E580975C9AB4.png
    DD476AD6-B07F-4D00-BB19-E580975C9AB4.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 123
Also there is a fb group for the MMS program some people have places and are looking for roommates. You can possibly also contact the school they have properties sometimes and they don’t list them publicly always. I found mine on apartments.com
How does one get added to this FB group lol

Hey guys. The background check is charging me 138 dollars for the background check and drug test. Is this normal? Lol

...so did anyone email Jamie for the stats lol
I believe it’s about 60 percent matriculate something like that. But like I think I said before there’s a lot of people who have like 2.0s and 2.4s etc and that’s why they didn’t make it in. They even let people in with 3.1s this year so they were more than lenient. It’s based on you and your performance.

I believe it’s about 60 percent matriculate something like that. But like I think I said before there’s a lot of people who have like 2.0s and 2.4s etc and that’s why they didn’t make it in. They even let people in with 3.1s this year so they were more than lenient. It’s based on you and your performance.
rip those people. I was looking at the schedule and it seems intense I'm a little scared ha

Hey guys, do you know how long it took to receive and submit your background check results? I submitted mine on Friday, but the email said 5-10 business days and I am hoping it is more like 5 business days and not 10.

Hey guys, do you know how long it took to receive and submit your background check results? I submitted mine on Friday, but the email said 5-10 business days and I am hoping it is more like 5 business days and not 10.

My background check took 2 days and my drug screen took 3 days.

I don't know where you have to go but I went to LabCorp in buffalo and I was able to submit the results the same day