2019-2020 Postdoc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cambridge Health Alliance: Victims of Violence Track
Generic email on 1/25
Offered 2/4, 2/5, 2/7, 2/8, 2/14

YAAAYYY MY TOP CHOICE

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First rejection email from Stanford CAPS received on 1/25/19.
Now waiting to hear back from my last site, UC Davis (Multicultural Services Track)…

Coping: Yoga, macaroni and cheese

First rejection email from Stanford CAPS received on 1/25/19.
Now waiting to hear back from my last site, UC Davis (Multicultural Services Track)…

Coping: Yoga, macaroni and cheese

Macaroni & Cheese Leggings or Capris Woman's Leggings Printed Leggings Yoga Workout Exercise Pants Crazy Unique Funny Leggings Tight Pants

il_fullxfull.1599859674_6d0e.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Nice to see some familiar names on here!

Are we expected to prepare a formal case presentation? Or can we assume that this is not required unless the site says so?

Nice to see some familiar names on here!

Are we expected to prepare a formal case presentation? Or can we assume that this is not required unless the site says so?

Based on internship interviews, I'm preparing myself to discuss a couple of cases in case they ask something like, "tell us about a case that was [particularly rewarding/particularly difficult] for you, and how you handled it." Since my sites are so different, I'm brushing up on different cases that would be relevant to the site beforehand.

Are people using cases only from internship or what feels right?

Has anyone heard from Stanford's Autism Track yet?

I’m using what feels right. 90% of my case examples are coming from internship, but I had a couple really good exemplar cases from grad school that I mention if relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard from
- Henry Ford
- Ann Arbor VA
- Bay Pines
- Minneapolis
- Crescenz VA (Philly)

For Neuro?
I recieved an invite to interview from bay pines VA on Friday for Neuro and if you’re referring to the Minneapolis VA for neuro I received an invite to interview from them on 1/11. Hope this is helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Cedars-Sinai Hospital
Neuropsychology Fellowship
Invite via Email (2/14, 2/15, 2/17 for on-site; phone interview option available).
Coping: The wait is over. All interviews are set. Rejections received. Let's go!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear from Miami VA today? They sent out an appearing-ly mass- email last week saying application review was in progress and they would notify by today (year was wrong, but I'm assuming they meant this year).

Also, anyone hear from Bay Pines VA Trauma/Women's health?

Hope interviews are going well for everyone!

I have an etiquette question. I accepted an interview from a site a couple of weeks ago. Since then, my partner and I have researched job opportunities for her in that area and there really are very few in her field. There is a very minute chance that I would accept an offer because of this.

Should I continue on with the interview, or is it at all acceptable to withdraw myself from consideration for personal reasons?

Reactions: 1 user
Still have 3 sites to hear from...anyone else??

Five!

Baylor, UTHealth, U of Iowa (Benton lab), Milwaukee VA, Hines VA. All for neuro.

I have an etiquette question. I accepted an interview from a site a couple of weeks ago. Since then, my partner and I have researched job opportunities for her in that area and there really are very few in her field. There is a very minute chance that I would accept an offer because of this.

Should I continue on with the interview, or is it at all acceptable to withdraw myself from consideration for personal reasons?
Honestly, I would imagine they would appreciate the withdrawal if you're pretty confident you would not go there. It seems like going on the interview is a waste of everyone's time, UNLESS you'd go if you had no other option. If that's the case, I would still do it. Otherwise, I think you're saving them effort and consideration that they don't need to put forth, and who wouldn't appreciate that? I'm also guessing if your partner doesn't have job opps there, you won't be applying later for a job, so you don't even need to hang onto political capital with them. Given that I've had places ask that we let them know if we accept an offer elsewhere so they can take our names out of the running when they're making their decisions, I imagine this is the same - they're happy to have less fruitless work!

Five!

Baylor, UTHealth, U of Iowa (Benton lab), Milwaukee VA, Hines VA. All for neuro.

I'm not sure if there are multiple neuro tracks but I know at least some neuro invites for Hines were sent out about a week ago.

How many did you all apply to? And are these all formal post docs?

This is going to very a lot. The average number of sites people apply to is eight from what I read. I applied to eight, though one was an informal postdoc that I found through a job posting on a listserv. Some people skip the winter process altogether and opt to just job search close to the time their internship placement ends. They sometimes take a lower salary or pay for their supervision.

I haven't seen any posts (and wouldn't put it past myself to have skimmed over them either) about Bay Pines' PTSD fellowship invitations. Does any have local connections or info on the DL about their process? I know they put out neuro.

How many did you all apply to? And are these all formal post docs?

This is going to very a lot. The average number of sites people apply to is eight from what I read. I applied to eight, though one was an informal postdoc that I found through a job posting on a listserv. Some people skip the winter process altogether and opt to just job search close to the time their internship placement ends. They sometimes take a lower salary or pay for their supervision.
Like c-pox (@carapox, this is my nickname for you hope you don't mind) said, this will vary widely for a whole host of reasons. I only applied to 3 and was told this was plentyyyyy by my supervisors who totes balked at the idea of me applying to my original list that had like 7-8 places on it. I was looking for something rather specific which narrowed things down for me on its own and then there were some personal/geographic restrictions that also narrowed my list of options. At the end of the day, even though the idea of applying to a literal handful of sites made me anxious AFFFFFFF, I felt really good about my final list of sites and got interviews at all 3.

Reactions: 5 users

I’m using what feels right. 90% of my case examples are coming from internship, but I had a couple really good exemplar cases from grad school that I mention if relevant.

Ditto
I have one case from grad school that was pretty unique and honestly did stick with me so I use it for that question
Otherwise I tend to stick with internship

Finally!

Minneapolis VA - Neuropsych
Only 2 left to hear back from then off to speed interviewing at INS! It's almost over y'all!

For those wondering:
Bay Pines VA
Track: PTSD/PCMHI
Phone Call on 1/11/19
Offered 2/4, 2/11

Can you request a reciprocal offer from a site you have not interviewed at?

Can you request a reciprocal offer from a site you have not interviewed at?
From previous years posts, what some people have said is that while it feels awkward, it can't hurt anything. A lot of sites have an idea of where you fall in the ranking just by your application materials. My supervisor told me the same thing- rankings pre-interview are "highly correlated" with rankings after the interview.
And if course, if they don't give you a reciprocal offer, you haven't lost anything by asking.

From previous years posts, what some people have said is that while it feels awkward, it can't hurt anything. A lot of sites have an idea of where you fall in the ranking just by your application materials. My supervisor told me the same thing- rankings pre-interview are "highly correlated" with rankings after the interview.
And if course, if they don't give you a reciprocal offer, you haven't lost anything by asking.

That's a good point. Worst they could say is "no we can't make offers until we complete interviews." Thanks!

Also, has anyone heard anything or know anyone who has heard anything from the Juvenile Forensic Postdoc at the Child Study and Treatment Center in Washington state? Apps were due Jan 5th...I didn't get a confirmation of my application and now I'm starting to wonder if I accidentally missed something out and they thought I decided not to apply.

Also, has anyone heard anything or know anyone who has heard anything from the Juvenile Forensic Postdoc at the Child Study and Treatment Center in Washington state? Apps were due Jan 5th...I didn't get a confirmation of my application and now I'm starting to wonder if I accidentally missed something out and they thought I decided not to apply.
I would reach out to them, just in case. I did my postdoc there and would be happy to answer any questions you might have back channel :)

For those wondering:
Bay Pines VA
Track: PTSD/PCMHI
Phone Call on 1/11/19
Offered 2/4, 2/11

I was totally wondering. WAH WAH.

Now, to remind myself of gratitude, despite not getting the callback.

MedStar National Rehabilitation Hospital
Track: Adult Neuro
Rejection via personalized e-mail 1/31

Has anyone heard from Columbia University-clinic for anxiety and related disorders? Specifically the Westchester location

Hey guys, intern applicant here with a question. I was wondering if there’s a site I don’t want to attend for internship but am potentially interested in their post doc, would it hurt my chances at their post doc to not match with them for internship?

Hey guys, intern applicant here with a question. I was wondering if there’s a site I don’t want to attend for internship but am potentially interested in their post doc, would it hurt my chances at their post doc to not match with them for internship?

Not even a little bit.

Really depends on several factors: how competitive the track itself, how geographically limited you are, how competitive/saturated the city/area you apply in, and whether your TD/supervisor knows the site personally (networking). I was told to apply to just a few by someone who did a postdoc in the middle of nowhere, and I went with a solid 8 apps in a highly-saturated metro area with no network connections to the site or even state. Didn’t get a formal postdoc even though I was told I was a strong candidate after one of the interviews. One site never even contacted me after I applied due to the sheer volume of apps they get, and I had to reach out and ask for an update (was told I should’ve assumed I was rejected).

My track was college counseling (and one VA), and almost every site was only looking for 1 postdoc in a very highly saturated area, plus no word of mouth/networking amongst supervisors, making my chances less than great. If anyone is in a similar situation, I’d suggest 12-15 apps just like internship.

Informal postdocs are fine; I was unemployed after internship for some months before landing an informal postdoc, but it worked out in the end.

Reactions: 2 users
This isn't necessarily correct, depending on the internship. Some postdoc sites have tendencies to retain current interns for postdoc. Not all, but a good amount out there.

Oh that's a good point! I wasn't thinking about it from that perspective.

Has anyone heard from the Jesse Brown VA - PTSD track/or SUD track ? ? Asking for a fellow intern

Henry Ford Health System
Invite: mass e-mail 2/5
Interviews: 1/19 or 1/20 at INS

Seeking opinions: I was wondering how long I should wait before emailing a site to check if I am still under consideration. Background info - the application deadline was early January, it's a neuro site interviewing at INS (so less than two weeks away), and I know they have already sent out some (if not all) interview invites a while ago. Even though I am pretty sure I am not under consideration anymore, I would like to know, but I don't want to seem pushy by reaching out and asking. Should I reach out? Wait 'til a week before? Don't ask at all? Thanks for thoughts...

Seeking opinions: I was wondering how long I should wait before emailing a site to check if I am still under consideration. Background info - the application deadline was early January, it's a neuro site interviewing at INS (so less than two weeks away), and I know they have already sent out some (if not all) interview invites a while ago. Even though I am pretty sure I am not under consideration anymore, I would like to know, but I don't want to seem pushy by reaching out and asking. Should I reach out? Wait 'til a week before? Don't ask at all? Thanks for thoughts...

At this point it's ok to ask. Just be diplomatic, something like "I am working on a schedule for my time at INS and was wondering if I was still under consideration for X fellowship, yadda yadda yadda."

Henry Ford Health System
Invite: mass e-mail 2/5
me too!! I'm 90% sure we applied to all the same sites! haha

Shepherd Center
Invite: personal e-mail 2/8