2019-2020 Postdoc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's a good point. I just heard a horror story about people doing this and ending up on remedial plans during postdoc because the sites were expecting a certain level of autonomy the people could not achieve due to that lack of experience. Freaked me out.

That’s horrible! I also feel like it’s on the sites to assess whether they’re willing and able to take candidates who need more scaffolding in a newer area though!

Members don't see this ad.

Hitting submit on all my apps got me like...
IMG_0344.gif

Also, still waiting on letters of rec from some people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Hitting submit on all my apps got me like...View attachment 243608

Also, still waiting on letters of rec from some people

There worst thing is leaving something important to other people! But I'm sure your writers are going to be on top of it, so try not to worry! But if you worry anyway, try to breathe through your diaphragm ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else's letter writers having a heck of a time submitting letters to APPA CAS?

My letter writer can only see the first 8 sites, then after submission she cannot see the remaining letter requests. Another intern I'm working work said her letter writer had a similar issue, but logged off and back on again and it worked, which did not work for my letter writer. :shrug: The website FAQ for letter writers says maybe just use firefox or chrome browsers.

Last edited:
It’s starting!

Levine Children’s
Hem/onc
Invite! Mass email

Reactions: 4 users
It’s starting!

Levine Children’s
Hem/onc
Invite! Mass email
Congratulations!!! The 7th was the first day of listed notifications last year, too! Feel free to update if you want to share your interview date, or the range of dates. What great news to get on a friday! :D

It’s starting!

Levine Children’s
Hem/onc
Invite! Mass email
legit SO happy and excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!

...aaaaaaaaaand I also spit out the popcorn I was eating for dinner when I saw this.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 users
It’s starting!

Levine Children’s
Hem/onc
Invite! Mass email

Yay, congrats!!

You didn’t tell us how you’re coping though :)

APPA-CAS question.

Did people add achievements to the "Supporting Information" section? It seems redundant to me since my honors and awards are listed in my CV. Similar question about licenses. Does this mean like if you were a LCSW or have some certification?

APPA-CAS question.

Did people add achievements to the "Supporting Information" section? It seems redundant to me since my honors and awards are listed in my CV. Similar question about licenses. Does this mean like if you were a LCSW or have some certification?

I did not for the same reason!

Yay, congrats!!

You didn’t tell us how you’re coping though :)

Lol because I’m not

Naaah coping: dog, my dog forever

legit SO happy and excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!

...aaaaaaaaaand I also spit out the popcorn I was eating for dinner when I saw this.
giphy.gif
Lol thank you!
ALSO I also had popcorn for dinner!

Members don't see this ad :)
APPA-CAS question.

I added crap that was redundant bc I’m just anxious like that, however, my current TD said some people do and some don’t. Didn’t seem like a big deal.

Hello all! Newly joined post-doc applicant over here!!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks! Trying to find ways to keep myself busy again waiting on emails from programs..... currently includes lots of Great British Baking Show episodes lol

Got a two-fer interview! I had applied to two tracks at the same site. I added it to the list above. I'm hoping we all start hearing some good news this week - I have a feeling Friday will be a hot day! I will try to update the master list quickly, but we're interviewing for our internship position on Friday (which PS, I love our interview days. There's so much excitement in the air!)

Dana Farber Cancer Institute
Track Stem cell transplant & school consult
Invite! (Sent 12.11) multiple dates offered
Email looked mass but had my name on it
Staying sane by engaging with the holidays as much as possible

Dana Farber Cancer Institute
Track Stem cell transplant & school consult
Invite! (Sent 12.11) multiple dates offered
Email looked mass but had my name on it
Staying sane by engaging with the holidays as much as possible
Congrats!! Sounds like a very cool site.
I didn't include how I'm staying sane.... I'd say focusing on my training in Super Smash Bros.

Reactions: 1 users
Kaiser Northern California (Sacramento - Elk Grove)
Invite!
12/11/2018
By phone
Multiple dates offered
Staying sane by bothering my husband

Last edited:
Kaiser Northern California (Sacramento - Elkgrove)
Invite!
12/11/2018
By phone
Multiple dates offered

Is that application even due yet? haha congrats!

Also, seeing that people are getting invites has me hitting that refresh button even though there is no reason I would be contacted....most of my applications aren't even turned in yet!

Maybe it's residual from last year....like I'm addicted to the F5 key. Sheesh. :whistle:

Also, seeing that people are getting invites has me hitting that refresh button even though there is no reason I would be contacted....most of my applications aren't even turned in yet!

Maybe it's residual from last year....like I'm addicted to the F5 key. Sheesh. :whistle:

I’m glad it’s not just me!

Is that application even due yet? haha congrats!

Haha you’re right, apps are due in January! But they encourage you to apply as soon as their app portal on CAS opened on November 15th, as they offer interviews as the apps come in.

When none of your apps are officially due til January, you haven't completed a single app, and everyone else is way more on top of their **** and is already hearing back from places.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 users
When none of your apps are officially due til January, you haven't completed a single app, and everyone else is way more on top of their **** and is already hearing back from places.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

LOL this is hilarious

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Lol! Do not feel bad! Mine were all due by like next week

I'm having problems scheduling the interview I have. I was asked to call/email the administrative assistant to set it up. I contacted her via email on Tuesday and again yesterday and haven't heard anything back. I want to plan if I have to take a day off from work, so I'd like to get this scheduled before the weekend. I think if I don't hear from her today I'll reach again on Monday. It just has me feeling eager.

Last edited:
The first sales call from a pending application area code has come #denvered

Reactions: 10 users
And so it begins (again)! Is anyone here applying to Cincinnati Children's? I've got an application-related question regarding their GME form...

Kaiser Northern California (Sacramento - Elk Grove)
Invite!
12/11/2018
By phone
Multiple dates offered
They offered you multiple dates?! They offered me ONE, and I can't make it out for it. (Side note: congrats!!)

They offered you multiple dates?! They offered me ONE, and I can't make it out for it. (Side note: congrats!!)

When did you get the call for the invite? They did mention that the available dates were filling up very quickly because I had to call them back after looking up flights.

Y’all.

I just almost had a heart attack because I got an email from the Portland VA, but it was just to notify that all of my application materials had been received!

Does this count as being #denvered?

Had anyone heard from Johns Hopkins for the neuropsychology position through the division of rehab psych/neuropsych? In their brochure they stated that invitations for interviews will be issued by December 17th, 2018 and I haven’t recieved a rejection or an invitation.

stiiiiiiiiiiiiill haven't submitted a single app and only one of my letter writers is on their ****
giphy.gif

Children’s hospital of Colorado
Rejection
Mass email not track specific

Johns Hopkins
Department of neuropsych/ rehabilitation
Neuropsychology postdoc
Invite for onsite interview via email from director of training
Dates: 1/11/19 or 1/14/19
Coping with post doc stress by eating ice cream straight from the container.

Reactions: 7 users
When did you get the call for the invite? They did mention that the available dates were filling up very quickly because I had to call them back after looking up flights.
That could be - they called me last Wednesday, and I called back fifteen minutes after missing the call, and then they didn't get back to me until Friday. Wah wahhhh.

stiiiiiiiiiiiiill haven't submitted a single app and only one of my letter writers is on their ****
giphy.gif
I do NOT like this whole business where barely anything is standardized and it's all spread out and two places I want to apply HAVEN'T EVEN OPENED APPLICATIONS FOR THIS YEAR YET. And for the ones I've applied to and haven't heard from, I have no IDEA when they'll offer interviews. Not even a shred of an idea.

Can someone help me out with what to include when a site asks for "A Completed Application Cover Page."

So at this point I have done one Skype interview and one "preliminary" phone call interview. Both were only 30 min long. The process does seem to be more mellow, AND I also feel so much pressure. It's only where I'm spending the next year, AND it's kinda laying the foundation for the direction my career is going to take. nbd.

Suffice to say, I'm no longer feeling sane. And things are just starting! :help:

Submitted my first app last night and noticed today that I had a formatting error for a few recommendations in a report :smack:. Hope this doesn't count against me! Good luck to everyone!

Anyone else look at the thread from last year, see the dates your sites sent out interview invites, and then think "oh dear Jesus, do I really have to wait that long to hear back from these people???"
giphy.gif

Anyone else look at the thread from last year, see the dates your sites sent out interview invites, and then think "oh dear Jesus, do I really have to wait that long to hear back from these people???"
giphy.gif

IMG_0391.gif

giphy.gif
[/QUOTGoing Going by the last year, I guess Stanford University Medical Center is today?

It's definitely starting! It's nice to see some familiar avatars :) Sending good vibes to everyone!

Site name: Colorado Children's Hospital
Track (if applicable): TRUE Center
Invite or rejection: Invite!
Date notified: 12/17/18
How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): personal email
Interview date: asked to rank preferences for 01/08, 01/10, 01/15, or 01/17

Site name: Children's Mercy Kansas City
Track (if applicable): General Clinical Child/Pediatric
Date notified: 12/19/18
How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): phone
Interview date: 01/22

It's definitely starting! It's nice to see some familiar avatars :) Sending good vibes to everyone!

Site name: Colorado Children's Hospital
Track (if applicable): TRUE Center
Date notified: 12/17/18
How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): personal email
Interview date: asked to rank preferences for 01/08, 01/10, 01/15, or 01/17

Site name: Children's Mercy Kansas City
Track (if applicable): General Clinical Child/Pediatric
Date notified: 12/19/18
How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): phone
Interview date: 01/22