2019-2020 Postdoc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know, the dates are coming up and I have to buy plane tickets. I hope they responds soon, but I am feeling like it may not be until after the 1st.

I heard back from them yesterday, but I did reach out to Monica and check in. Don't be afraid to reach out to her - she seems pretty nice.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard back from them yesterday, but I did reach out to Monica and check in. Don't be afraid to reach out to her - she seems pretty nice.
I emailed her to check in before the holidays but I never heard back. Maybe I should try again. Thanks for letting me know !

Reactions: 1 user
Posting for a friend

Medical University of South Carolina
Invite to interview!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So many of my sites are inviting me to do "an initial informal phone interview" that comes before the real interview...anyone else experiencing this?

So many of my sites are inviting me to do "an initial informal phone interview" that comes before the real interview...anyone else experiencing this?

I've had a couple of these...the sense that I've gotten was that they wanted to verify that my goals for postdoc matched their offerings before asking me to commit to shelling out money for a plane ticket. Very informal and seemed respectful of my time and financial resources, which I *really* appreciate.

I got MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina) too. Here are the details:
Track: Clinical Health Psychology/Behavioral Medicine
12/27/2018
Personal email
Asked to rank 3 of 4 options: Jan 14, Jan 18, Jan 25, Jan 28 (full day interview)
Coping: so. much. dissertation. writing.

Reactions: 3 users
I've had a couple of these...the sense that I've gotten was that they wanted to verify that my goals for postdoc matched their offerings before asking me to commit to shelling out money for a plane ticket. Very informal and seemed respectful of my time and financial resources, which I *really* appreciate.

Oh for sure! I just wasn't sure if it was a really common thing or if the sites were somehow unsure of me as an applicant.

Also, when it comes to sample reports...would most people choose to submit an older excellent report or a more recent above average report?

Also, when it comes to sample reports...would most people choose to submit an older excellent report or a more recent above average report?

I've been wondering about this too! For me, I've chosen based on how much overlap the report style has with the program I'm sending it to. Some of my older, more comprehensive reports were super long and for some sites I've wanted to show them that I can write shorter, more targeted reports. I'm not sure it matters that much, though.

Cleveland clinic
Pediatric behavior medicine
Mass email
Invite! On 12.28 - 3 dates to rank
Coping: just getting back from a great Christmas break

Reactions: 2 users

I had that experience with Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix

University of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center- Neuropsychology Track
Interview dates: 1/2, 1/8, 1/9
Notified by personalized e-mail on 12/30

Happy New Year everyone!

Has anyone found any stats on what proportion of applicants receive an invitation to interview? I'm struggling to determine whether some sites invite almost everyone or whether they really narrow the list down substantially before the interview...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Pediatric psychology
Invite!
Notified 12/31 by personal e-mail
Interview 1/18
Coping with a killer NYE party! (small gathering of interns playing board games...with my cats...)

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone found any stats on what proportion of applicants receive an invitation to interview? I'm struggling to determine whether some sites invite almost everyone or whether they really narrow the list down substantially before the interview...

This varies so much, that any one point of view will be meaningless. Some sites will bring a ratio of 10:1 to interview, some probably closer to 4:1. I've seen a huge range here, and it also changes within site every year depending on a variety of factors.

Kaiser Vallejo
Phone invite
Track: Behavioral Medicine
Date: 2/14

Kaiser Roseville
Email invite
Track: Health Psychology
Date 2/7

Report from a friend: Denver VA Health track invites went out via email - either yesterday or today. Same dates as PTSD track.

How does everyone feel about phone/Skype interviews versus in-person? Does it matter at this point?

It really varies so much on variables like specialty track, competitiveness of the site, etc. Personally, we interview 4-5 people each year in person for our track and expect to get our 1st or 2nd pick. I have been at other sites where that number was closer to 10-12. One site in particular was a **** show and would not likely recruit the top applicants, so we interviewed more people. At those places we tended to do phone calls as well, given the higher numbers of interview offers.

Report from a friend: Denver VA Health track invites went out via email - either yesterday or today. Same dates as PTSD track.

How does everyone feel about phone/Skype interviews versus in-person? Does it matter at this point?
I made two entries that contain all of the information for this site because I was given two names for it. I see no problem with this because having multiple entries can help people find their site if it goes by different names. But I want to take this time to let everyone know that I have no idea what your sites are "officially" named so I just put exactly what I'm told. If you see any errors in the list, or think I should add an entry for an alternate site name, please let me know!

The University of Chicago
Clinical Health Psychology
Rejection via email
1/2/19

The University of Chicago
Clinical Health Psychology
Rejection via email
1/2/19

Oh god, now I’m waiting for it...
But I don’t even know if my third letter writer got his letter in (damn research advisor and his unresponsiveness).

Oh god, now I’m waiting for it...
But I don’t even know if my third letter writer got his letter in (damn research advisor and his unresponsiveness).
Maybe they’ll wait for last letter!

B

Balls

Me, waiting to hear back from sites whose deadlines haven't even passed yet
giphy.gif

Reactions: 9 users
Any other neuro lovers stressing about rejections yet? I'm 2 applications in with two rejections :( When should the onset of sheer panic occur??

Denver VA (Eastern Colorado Health Care System)

Recovery- Couple and Family track
Email invite today (1/3/19)

Same dates (1/18 and 2/4)

That’s it for me as I only applied to Denver.

Finally!!!

Yale School of Medicine and HSC
Neuro
Invite!!!! Pick your own date (not at INS)
Staying sane? CHAMPAGNE!!

Reactions: 8 users
-VA Boston
-PTSD
-Invitation
-1/3/19
-Mass Email
-1/23, 1/25, 1/28, 2/1, 2/4
-Radical Acceptance

Reactions: 4 users
University of Michigan-VA Ann Arbor Postdoctoral Consortium
VAAAHS-Adult
Invitation
1/4/19
Personal Email
Pick dates between 1/22-2/8
DOGS

Waukesha Family Medicine Program (Wisconsin)
Clinical Psychology
Invitation
1/4/19
Personal Email
Pick any date
DOGS

How soon is too soon to email to ask a status of an application? I’ve seen on here someone post about a program but not the same track which made my stress go through the roof!

How soon is too soon to email to ask a status of an application? I’ve seen on here someone post about a program but not the same track which made my stress go through the roof!

I’d say it’s still too early. I’m in the same boat but it seems that separate tracks work on their own schedules even from the same site! Looking at the dates from last year when most invites when out, it seems mid January is most typical! So it’s still quite early to have heard from most programs.

What's a possible reason for sites to hold out for so long to send out rejection letters...?? Just out of curiosity lol

What's a possible reason for sites to hold out for so long to send out rejection letters...?? Just out of curiosity lol
Waiting to make sure the invitees accept and don’t back out?

University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
Health Psych
1/4/19
Invitation
Personalized Email
1/14 or 1/28
DOGS STILL

Cleveland VA
Mass email
1/4
Interviews at open house on 1/24, or phone interviews, or as scheduled
-coping—uh? We’re doing practice interviews at my internship, so that’s fun

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Cincinnati VA interprofessional care
Jan 4
Mass email
Interview in person Jan 17

University of Toledo school of medicine
1/4/19 - personal email
INVITE!!
Ins Tuesday slot time between 8:30-11:30
Coping- sheer celebration

University of Chicago
-Pediatric Psychology
-Invite
-1/4/18
-Personal email
-1/17 or 1/24 (8am-3pm both days)
-Coping: TV, my pup

Reactions: 7 users
St Louis Children’s Hospital
Pediatric Psychology
Invite to preliminary phone interview
Mass email on 1/2/18
Coping: dog dog and oh yeah my dog

Finally!!!

Yale School of Medicine and HSC
Neuro
Invite!!!! Pick your own date (not at INS)
Staying sane? CHAMPAGNE!!

What is HSC? Also, I didn’t know Yale had a Neuro postdoc unless you’re referring to an affiliated site?

What is HSC? Also, I didn’t know Yale had a Neuro postdoc unless you’re referring to an affiliated site?
HSC stands for Hospital for Special Care. The neuro postdoc is split between the two sites- 3 days at Connecticut Mental Health Center/Yale and 2 days at Hospital for Special Care. This is a fairly new postdoc collaboration. I believe Yale had their own neuro postdoc previously, but it looks like that hasn't been around for the past few years.

-Barrow Neurological Institute
-General neuro
-Invite
-Notified 1/4
-Personal email from program manager
-2/19 at INS

-University of Kentucky College of Medicine
-Neuro
-Invite
-1/4
-Personal email from training director
-A preliminary, 20 minute phone interview and then a face-to-face interview at INS

-Mayo Clinic Rochester
-Adult neuro
-Wait-listed ("You were not selected for our first round of interviews. However, we have continued interest in your application.")
-12/21

-San Francisco VA Medical Center
-TBI/Polytrauma Rehabilitation Research
-Invite
-12/17
-1/15