2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone with an IA who is applying MD received a secondary, this cycle?
I received one on Friday 9/13 and I'm an IA applicant. Primary was verified on 7/19!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Are thank you emails encouraged or accepted here?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it way too late to submit my primary here this week?
I’d say go for it! I submitted my primary to UCLA last Tuesday, got the secondary the next day (Wednesday), and got complete email on Wednesday too.

For anyone who has already had their interview: at what time did the interviews end? I'm currently OOS and am trying to plan my departing flight. Thank you in advance!

For anyone who has already had their interview: at what time did the interviews end? I'm currently OOS and am trying to plan my departing flight. Thank you in advance!
I interviewed on a weekday and wrapped up around 4pm. With LA traffic picking up around that time, I would budget 1-1.5 hours to get to LAX.
Cant speak to weekend interviews

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed on a weekday and wrapped up around 4pm. With LA traffic picking up around that time, I would budget 1-1.5 hours to get to LAX.
Cant speak to weekend interviews
Thanks so much! Definitely nervous but also excited. Hope your interview went well!

It’s been quiet with the interviews. Does anyone know if UCLA has sent out all the invites?

• Sad
there's a lot more to go. according to the tour guide sign-up sheet we are interviewing to late Nov so far, maybe there gonna be more after that.

Is there a separate thing to sign up for besides choosing our interview dates? I dont think I signed up for tour guide date.. yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if UCLA only interviews until November? I happened to click onto that page and I was a bit surprised by how compressed UCLA's interview season is.

That seems to be the case based on their website but I would think it's def against the norm if a school wrapped up their interviews sooo early in the cycle.
Or since they have rolling admissions, they could keep reviewing applications .. as they say.. "until class is filled" which may extend past Nov

That seems to be the case based on their website but I would think it's def against the norm if a school wrapped up their interviews sooo early in the cycle.
Or since they have rolling admissions, they could keep reviewing applications .. as they say.. "until class is filled" which may extend past Nov

My thought is that they wouldn’t indicate Nov unless they were actually actively making efforts to end earlier. This is in the context of basically every other school claiming they end in Jan, Feb, Mar, or even Apr.

My thought is that they wouldn’t indicate Nov unless they were actually actively making efforts to end earlier. This is in the context of basically every other school claiming they end in Jan, Feb, Mar, or even Apr.

Yeah, well in that case, UCLA must be stacking interviews a lot between now and Nov if they intend on getting through to everyone. I wonder how many II have been sent out

Yeah, well in that case, UCLA must be stacking interviews a lot between now and Nov if they intend on getting through to everyone. I wonder how many II have been sent out

Yeah, I’m wondering how they’re approaching admissions this year. Late August to November interviews seems like a short season. Perhaps their new approach to admissions is to just admit a bunch of high stats and 3 first-author publications type ECs. You don’t need a long cycle for that.

• Wow
Yeah, I’m wondering how they’re approaching admissions this year. Laste August to November interviews seems like a short season. Perhaps their new approach to admissions is to just admit a bunch of high stats and 3 first-author publications type ECs. You don’t need a long cycle for that.

UCLA is more holistic than the other T20s, no?

High stats don’t necessarily get II from UCLA despite others T10 II success.
Still hoping.

UCLA is more holistic than the other T20s, no?

I’ve never really kept up on their “trends” tbh. Perhaps their talks regarding raising their MCAT cutoff is a signal that they will start prioritizing stats and top-tier ECs. Remember, “holistic” doesn’t mean you can slack off in any part of your app. Perfect stats, perfect service, perfect research, perfect leadership = holistic too

To view in a cynical way, making admissions more “holistic” is just like adding more sections to the MCAT. Suck at CARS? You can still do well in the 10 other sections. Great! But if you’re trying to get to the upper echelon of scores, adding more sections just means more sections you have to be perfect in, more hoops to jump through, more challenges to overcome. (Some may argue a more holistic admissions process doesn’t necessarily benefit disadvantaged applicants more than a stats driven process)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
On the timeline it says they recommend that we we are complete before Sep 1 and that interviews last until November. How strict are they to these dates? Also, what are the current dates available for interview.

Last edited:
when have interview dates been for the most recent batch of invites?

On the timeline it says they recommend that we we are complete before Sep 1 and that interviews last until November. How strict are they to these dates? Also, what are the current dates available for interview.
I was complete early August, so I’m a bit worried my app won’t even be looked at.

Im not sure on how strict they are but applications are not always viewed in order so I dont think your early aug submission hampers your chances solely bc of the timestamp

Anyone else hoping this means people who interviewed in August/early September may actually hear on/around Oct 15th? This would be great.

During my interview my interviewer told me they have received >13,000 applications so far and plan to interview 600

• Wow
There is some kind of screening...I previously thought it was holistic but not sure if it's numbers-based or holistic

No II here, so this is not meant to brag, but based on personal experience I think there must be some sort of “auto-send” based on numbers (unbalanced LizzyM here with 524+ MCAT) because I received the secondary within hours of submitting primary. Others who were concerned about passing the stat screen have still received, but often after more of a delay, so my guess is that a manual review led to those. So in short, I think it’s both, but with holistic obviously taking longer.

Yes it’s still a thing, at least based on what i read from last year’s ucla threads

Is there any data available for the students who received it? It know it says top 20%, but what are we talking here? 4.0 / 525+? And is "merit" purely educational or does that account for life experiences?

Is there any data available for the students who received it? It know it says top 20%, but what are we talking here? 4.0 / 525+? And is "merit" purely educational or does that account for life experiences?

Im not sure, but if you get to find out, please let us know!

On last year’s thread there were some “low stats” people who received the scholarship. But what difference does it make? Don’t expect to get one. Be thrilled if you do.

On last year’s thread there were some “low stats” people who received the scholarship. But what difference does it make? Don’t expect to get one. Be thrilled if you do.

In general, do they have a lot of nee-based financial aid (similar to private instituions)?

In general, do they have a lot of nee-based financial aid (similar to private instituions)?
If I remember correctly, there is need-based aid. I would worry about that kind of thing after getting acceptances though.

Because I make decisions by considering the odds of different outcomes. Knowing the statistical makeup of recipients would help in that decision making process.
There is no reliable way to predict your chances of getting the scholarship. These kinds of things are super subjective. Also, the scholarship committee is separate from the admissions committee.

There is no reliable way to predict your chances of getting the scholarship. These kinds of things are super subjective. Also, the scholarship committee is separate from the admissions committee.

Sure, but I'm not certain exactly what your point is. Having more information can't be a bad thing. Getting accepted into any specific medical school is a subjective process, but you still apply to schools that you are most likely to get into based on statistical information. I'm asking for more information to help me make life changing decisions. So?

Sure, but I'm not certain exactly what your point is. Having more information can't be a bad thing. Getting accepted into any specific medical school is a subjective process, but you still apply to schools that you are most likely to get into based on statistical information. I'm asking for more information to help me make life changing decisions. So?

Knowledge is power :)

Because I make decisions by considering the odds of different outcomes. Knowing the statistical makeup of recipients would help in that decision making process.

You should prob make decisions based on the actual outcomes, not the chance of the outcomes.
Pt come to the ED showing all signs of a brain bleed, he has a high chance of brain bleed, are you gonna page neuro right the way and asking for an operation? No. You need to obtain the evidence first.

You'll get/not get geffen when you are accepted, then you can make your decisions.
Even if you don't get Geffen, there are so many other internal scholarships.

Last edited:
The point is there is no way to know. None of us can tell you how likely it is you’ll receive the scholarship. Even if we could, how would your actions change if your chances were 10% as opposed to 5%? Do your best and hope for the best.

You need to obtain the evidence first.

As in... you need more information first. Which is what I'm asking for lol.

The point is there is no way to know. None of us can tell you how likely it is you’ll receive the scholarship. Even if we could, how would your actions change if your chances were 10% as opposed to 5%?

Just as there is no way to know if a medical school will accept you. But you still gather INFORMATION to help you decide which schools you apply to. Yes, if I had the proper information I would know if I at least have some chance of the scholarship vs. no chance of the scholarship. And yes, I am making decisions based on that. LA is expensive and if I feel as though I have no chance at the scholarship then I'd rather not go to the interview. But honestly, it seems like you're just being argumentative. I simply asked if data was available. Either that data is or isn't. What do you care?

Either that data is or isn't. What do you care?
I’m saying it really isn’t. I understand more where you’re coming from, though. If you’re interviewing, there’s a chance. I personally think it’s worth the risk. You already made a huge cut by getting an II.

Interview received this evening - Secondary submitted mid July but committee letter was not sent in until 8/9
As a non-canadian international applicant this is quite reassuring to me...

Interview received this evening - Secondary submitted mid July but committee letter was not sent in until 8/9
As a non-canadian international applicant this is quite reassuring to me...
Congrats! What dates were available? Are they for sure only scheduling through November?

Congrats! What dates were available? Are they for sure only scheduling through November?
idk but my interview date is mid Oct. There wasn't much space left in Oct tho. I could only choose between two dates and for the other one I already scheduled an interview.