EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
Can someone share when the PM interview starts? It said be there at 9:45 but I heard it doesn’t start until 11...
There is no AM/PM.

For Monday or Friday Interviews, please plan to arrive by 9:45am

For Saturday Interviews, please plan to arrive by 8:30am

Reactions: premed20172017

Engrailed

Keep calm and drink water. Namaste.
Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Saturday interview people are so lucky!

• Wow
Reactions: EmbryonalCarcinoma

Lucillus

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
While I wanted to apply to this school, I didn't add it to my initial list when I initially submitted AMCAS early August due to the new supposed cutoffs that were supposed to be in effect this cycle.

Thank goodness I found this forum! The fact that there are applicants with stats lower than the supposed cutoffs getting secondaries encouraged me to resubmit my amcas app. to UCLA yesterday near noon.

I woke up with a secondary waiting for me in my inbox (junk folder)! That was quite quick! I'm on track to submit the secondary either today or tomorrow being the latest!

Stats/Residency: cGPA/sGPA of 3.65 and Mcat (retake) of 511 (Just below the supposed hard-cutoff). OOS Canadian Citizen with an AOS and has ties to the state (lived in SoCal for one year during HS, have relatives in LA, and my family owns property in the state).

Man, the misinformation about the cutoffs probably discouraged other fellow applicants to apply as well. I feel like UCLA could have provided better clarity on that matter. :/

As for me, I'm kicking myself over not having found this forum sooner. :(

Lucillus

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
hey! how's the cycle going?
Pretty quiet from US MD's. All secondaries (including this one have been submitted). Haven't heard anything back from any school yet.

I'm finishing up Canadian medical school applications atm.
I'm pissing my pants when it comes to the UBC application since my transcript has yet to be considered received yet I sent it 2 weeks ago and the deadline is tomorrow... rest of the app is complete.
UoA's is nearly finished, just waiting on one reference to complete his form. Same case with OMSAS.
Gonna start on McGill's soon.

Wbu?

Reactions: Alco_Palco
Jul 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Pretty quiet from US MD's. All secondaries (including this one have been submitted). Haven't heard anything back from any school yet.

I'm finishing up Canadian medical school applications atm.
I'm pissing my pants when it comes to the UBC application since my transcript has yet to be considered received yet I sent it 2 weeks ago and the deadline is tomorrow... rest of the app is complete.
UoA's is nearly finished, just waiting on one reference to complete his form. Same case with OMSAS.
Gonna start on McGill's soon.

Wbu?
no interviews from any US MD's , one DO. Good luck!

Reactions: Lucillus
Jul 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I believe it is closed. You just come into the room and start talking. I don't think they review your file prior to this.
do you know if the traditional interview portions open or closed? Thanks!!

Jun 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Can someone share when the PM interview starts? It said be there at 9:45 but I heard it doesn’t start until 11...
I don't think that there are actually AM/PM interviews - I know on the initial information screen that they showed when you scheduled your interview, it split things into an AM and a PM session, but I am *pretty* sure that on my interview day there was only one group. On the initial information screen I got (the one that disappeared as soon as you closed the tab and caused everyone to freak out lol), it said the AM interview began at 8:15ish and the PM interview began at 11. When I scheduled my interview, I was in the AM session, but I went in at 9:45 for mine per the updated instructions on my portal.

IMO I think if your portal says to be there at 9:45 then that's when you should go. I didn't see any other students or interview areas during my interview day or while I was touring the school. By 11 on my interview day we were well into a presentation on the school, so I'd probably say to get there at 9:45 just to be safe unless you hear something else from admissions directly.

Jul 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Is it way too late to submit my primary here this week?

Last edited:
May 28, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
For anyone who has already had their interview: at what time did the interviews end? I'm currently OOS and am trying to plan my departing flight. Thank you in advance!

Jul 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
For anyone who has already had their interview: at what time did the interviews end? I'm currently OOS and am trying to plan my departing flight. Thank you in advance!
I interviewed on a weekday and wrapped up around 4pm. With LA traffic picking up around that time, I would budget 1-1.5 hours to get to LAX.
Cant speak to weekend interviews

Reactions: EmbryonalCarcinoma
May 28, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I interviewed on a weekday and wrapped up around 4pm. With LA traffic picking up around that time, I would budget 1-1.5 hours to get to LAX.
Cant speak to weekend interviews
Thanks so much! Definitely nervous but also excited. Hope your interview went well!

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
there's a lot more to go. according to the tour guide sign-up sheet we are interviewing to late Nov so far, maybe there gonna be more after that.
Is there a separate thing to sign up for besides choosing our interview dates? I dont think I signed up for tour guide date.. yet

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you know if UCLA only interviews until November? I happened to click onto that page and I was a bit surprised by how compressed UCLA's interview season is.
That seems to be the case based on their website but I would think it's def against the norm if a school wrapped up their interviews sooo early in the cycle.
Or since they have rolling admissions, they could keep reviewing applications .. as they say.. "until class is filled" which may extend past Nov

Reactions: ObjectiveBoba

Fruitjuice

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2015
That seems to be the case based on their website but I would think it's def against the norm if a school wrapped up their interviews sooo early in the cycle.
Or since they have rolling admissions, they could keep reviewing applications .. as they say.. "until class is filled" which may extend past Nov
My thought is that they wouldn’t indicate Nov unless they were actually actively making efforts to end earlier. This is in the context of basically every other school claiming they end in Jan, Feb, Mar, or even Apr.

Reactions: Engrailed

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
My thought is that they wouldn’t indicate Nov unless they were actually actively making efforts to end earlier. This is in the context of basically every other school claiming they end in Jan, Feb, Mar, or even Apr.
Yeah, well in that case, UCLA must be stacking interviews a lot between now and Nov if they intend on getting through to everyone. I wonder how many II have been sent out

Fruitjuice

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2015
Yeah, well in that case, UCLA must be stacking interviews a lot between now and Nov if they intend on getting through to everyone. I wonder how many II have been sent out
Yeah, I’m wondering how they’re approaching admissions this year. Late August to November interviews seems like a short season. Perhaps their new approach to admissions is to just admit a bunch of high stats and 3 first-author publications type ECs. You don’t need a long cycle for that.

• Wow
Reactions: Engrailed

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I’m wondering how they’re approaching admissions this year. Laste August to November interviews seems like a short season. Perhaps their new approach to admissions is to just admit a bunch of high stats and 3 first-author publications type ECs. You don’t need a long cycle for that.
UCLA is more holistic than the other T20s, no?

proudofmykids

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Aug 10, 2019
High stats don’t necessarily get II from UCLA despite others T10 II success.
Still hoping.

Fruitjuice

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2015
UCLA is more holistic than the other T20s, no?
I’ve never really kept up on their “trends” tbh. Perhaps their talks regarding raising their MCAT cutoff is a signal that they will start prioritizing stats and top-tier ECs. Remember, “holistic” doesn’t mean you can slack off in any part of your app. Perfect stats, perfect service, perfect research, perfect leadership = holistic too

To view in a cynical way, making admissions more “holistic” is just like adding more sections to the MCAT. Suck at CARS? You can still do well in the 10 other sections. Great! But if you’re trying to get to the upper echelon of scores, adding more sections just means more sections you have to be perfect in, more hoops to jump through, more challenges to overcome. (Some may argue a more holistic admissions process doesn’t necessarily benefit disadvantaged applicants more than a stats driven process)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I’m wondering how they’re approaching admissions this year. Late August to November interviews seems like a short season. Perhaps their new approach to admissions is to just admit a bunch of high stats and 3 first-author publications type ECs. You don’t need a long cycle for that.
I think their interview season is gonna be pretty short. There were 20+ people at my interview day and they do 3 interviews per week? Id say they wont go past december.

• Wow
Reactions: Fruitjuice
May 29, 2018
On the timeline it says they recommend that we we are complete before Sep 1 and that interviews last until November. How strict are they to these dates? Also, what are the current dates available for interview.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
when have interview dates been for the most recent batch of invites?

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
On the timeline it says they recommend that we we are complete before Sep 1 and that interviews last until November. How strict are they to these dates? Also, what are the current dates available for interview.
I was complete early August, so I’m a bit worried my app won’t even be looked at.
Im not sure on how strict they are but applications are not always viewed in order so I dont think your early aug submission hampers your chances solely bc of the timestamp

Reactions: ssp3
Mar 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone else hoping this means people who interviewed in August/early September may actually hear on/around Oct 15th? This would be great.