2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I was wondering if there was any pertinent information in a DGSOM confirmation email after signing up for interviews that is not already stated in the confirmation details on the portal? I did not receive the email.

Reading some stuff here about AM/PM interviews. Would the email tell you this info/anything else you would need to know? Thanks

What you are asking is a phone call from DGSOM telling you that you are accepted with Geffen.

No, I'm actually asking for more information. Getting accepted doesn't mean much to me if I can't afford it. Without having a chance for that scholarship I most likely would turn down an acceptance.

No, I'm actually asking for more information. Getting accepted doesn't mean much to me if I can't afford it. Without having a chance for that scholarship I most likely would turn down an acceptance.
What about taking out loans like the rest of us?
Edit- call the school. Nobody on this forum is qualified to give you the answer you’re looking for. Sorry friend.

What about taking out loans like the rest of us?

Yeah, this is most likely what I'll end up doing. But I'd rather do it somewhere with lower tuition and a much lower cost of living than LA. This is why I asked if the data on that scholarship was available. It really was just a simple yes or no question lol.

Yeah, this is most likely what I'll end up doing. But I'd rather do it somewhere with lower tuition and a much lower cost of living than LA. This is why I asked if the data on that scholarship was available. It really was just a simple yes or no question lol.
Makes sense. I’d just contact admissions. They’ll be able to tell you if that dataset exists better than we can. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
they replied to my email (finally) haha

Regarding any confusion on interview day itinerary (bc I never received any confirmation email from them)
Just go by what is on your portal :)

Interesting! Do you think it is feasible to apply this weekend or they are closing out II offers?

I do not have any good sense of how many II offers are left, but I think that if you feel UCLA is a good fit and the cost of applying is not a significant financial burden it doesn’t feel like an unreasonable time to apply.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone with an IA ever get a secondary here?

Does anyone’s recommendation letter status page appear blank? Idk if that means anything lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone’s recommendation letter status page appear blank? Idk if that means anything lol

Mine is blank too. Status page lists everything as complete though so I wouldn't worry about it (although I never received a complete email, not sure if they do those)

II last night and I’m still in disbelief!! Complete mid July LM 73 OOS.

I may have to wait until the interview slot in early December for outside reasons, would this hinder my chances at all? Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone with an IA ever get a secondary here?

@people who liked my post...are you saying you have secondaries with IA's or are you in the same boat as me? Just want to clarify for my own sanity!

II last night and I’m still in disbelief!! Complete mid July LM 73 OOS.

I may have to wait until the interview slot in early December for outside reasons, would this hinder my chances at all? Any help is appreciated!

First of all, congrats!! Wish I were in your shoes.

Regarding December dates, I thought UCLA’s finishes interviewing in November? Pretty sure I saw it on their website.

EDIT:
Admissions-Timeline-2019.png

First of all, congrats!! Wish I were in your shoes.

Regarding December dates, I thought UCLA’s finishes interviewing in November? Pretty sure I saw it on their website.

EDIT:
Admissions-Timeline-2019.png

Thank you!! Well there’s one date in early December, nothing after that if that helps bring any clarity

Thank you!! Well there’s one date in early December, nothing after that if that helps bring any clarity
I wonder if this means those of us without IIs at this point are SOL now?
EDIT: It does say they continue screening apps through November, though? I wonder how that works...
EDIT 2: unless people who get accepted October onward to other schools they'd prefer to go to withdraw their UCLA II so they continue to extend IIs to the rest of us?

Last edited:
I wonder if this means those of us without IIs at this point are SOL now?
EDIT: It does say they continue screening apps through November, though? I wonder how that works...

Maybe for those who end up withdrawing their II?

It's halfway through September, still nothing :lol:

I wouldn’t necessarily assume the timeline on their website is set in stone. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Out of curiosity, since I submitted my supplement yesterday, is there even an iota of hope that I might get an interview lol? My MCAT (516) literally came in last week, but everything else is now in. The only reason I applied this late was cuz I thought I had a strong application (4.00 GPA, Goldwater Scholar, founded a nonprofit that won local and national awards, DC policy internship, etc.) but I go to a school where no one has been really able to help me with being a premed and I vastly underestimated the importance of timing my app correctly

Out of curiosity, since I submitted my supplement yesterday, is there even an iota of hope that I might get an interview lol? My MCAT (516) literally came in last week, but everything else is now in. The only reason I applied this late was cuz I thought I had a strong application (4.00 GPA, Goldwater Scholar, founded a nonprofit that won local and national awards, DC policy internship, etc.) but I go to a school where no one has been really able to help me with being a premed and I vastly underestimated the importance of timing my app correctly

there's always an iota! haha but seriously you sound like you have a great application. Unfortunately no one really knows a great answer to this. We can all speculate about your chances (or our own chances), but no one actually knows! One thing you can do is check the thread from past years to see people's complete dates and how they corresponded to interviews. Otherwise, it sounds like UCLA is still early-ish in their interview season so hopefully that means much more interviews to come!

Interesting! Do you think it is feasible to apply this weekend or they are closing out II offers?

I called them about secondary right after I got the MCAT score. The woman on the phone basically kept telling me it was holistic and blah blah, but I was like isn't it a hard cutoff? She said no. Then 12 hours later I got one. Who knows. it's such a crapshoot as an OOS.

there's always an iota! haha but seriously you sound like you have a great application. Unfortunately no one really knows a great answer to this. We can all speculate about your chances (or our own chances), but no one actually knows! One thing you can do is check the thread from past years to see people's complete dates and how they corresponded to interviews. Otherwise, it sounds like UCLA is still early-ish in their interview season so hopefully that means much more interviews to come!

UCLA is early-ish? What makes you say that. Their website says it’s supposed to wrap in Nov and seems like some are receiving Dec dates

UCLA is early-ish? What makes you say that. Their website says it’s supposed to wrap in Nov and seems like some are receiving Dec dates

guess I should rephrase to say it's still september and we have no *clear* idea of what dates have been offered by UCLA. I think that person earlier was saying they have to choose Dec dates for personal reasons, not because they didn't have earlier dates no? but to my original point... I think we just have no idea whats happening on their end, or any admissions for that matter. All we can do is speculate. I do not have insider UCLA insights lol just telling the OP that they have an iota of a chance :)

I totally agree. I noticed from last year’s thread that they definitely don’t go in order (exclusively, at least). I think we’ve seen that during our cycle, too.

For those interested in the status of DGSOM curriculum:

Phased implementation: In recent weeks we have been in conversations with many stakeholders including leadership of FEC, MEC, Deans, and other school leaders around the implementation timeline for the new curriculum. All have agreed that there is tremendous excitement about the promise of this new curriculum, but there’s a lot more to do and it’s most important that we “get it right.” As such, rather than implementing the entire new curriculum in August 2020, we are planning on a phased implementation. For the class entering in 2020, their curriculum will closely resemble the current curriculum except for the addition of two new components in August 2020: Foundations of Practice and Early Authentic Clinical Experience. The remainder will be implemented in full for students entering in August 2021.We have good momentum at this stage of the planning and all agree that we must maintain the pace to assure that all parts of the new curriculum can be developed and implemented within this phased implementation timeline.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
On the 2o, is it ok to copy/paste descriptions from AMCAS or should we phrase things differently?
I didn't repeat anything except for parts of my paid employment descriptions!

For the Work experiences section, would it be ok to also include something from summer before college or that doesn't count?
I think they only want to know your work during college. I don't think that question is looking for an "impressive" answer; rather I think they just want to know if you were juggling anything else alongside your schoolwork. But that was just how I interpreted the question!

guess I should rephrase to say it's still september and we have no *clear* idea of what dates have been offered by UCLA. I think that person earlier was saying they have to choose Dec dates for personal reasons, not because they didn't have earlier dates no? but to my original point... I think we just have no idea whats happening on their end, or any admissions for that matter. All we can do is speculate. I do not have insider UCLA insights lol just telling the OP that they have an iota of a chance :)
Thanks so much for making me feel better though! Tbh, it's rather agonizing to see all my friends get interviews while I have yet to receive a single one. As long as there's a possibility, I might as well continue to pray for a chance (ironic use of the word since I mentioned in all my supplements that I attended college in an extremely conservative area and went through hell as a member of the LGBT+ population who advocated for awareness lmao)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
For those who have already interviewed, where did you end up staying the night before, and what time should I book my flight back home for?

For those who have already interviewed, where did you end up staying the night before, and what time should I book my flight back home for?
not an interviewee, but a local - if you're flying back at night budget a ~1hour commute to get to LAX (not accounting for security/etc inside the airport). it's not that far, but traffic between 3:30pm-8pm (esp on a friday) is going to be really bad. I'd say a flight that boards 3.5 hours after your interview day ends is safe, that might be a little extra but I'm paranoid about missing flights!

I interviewed this past Saturday, and our interview started earlier than the weekday interviews. But it's pretty much the same thing, except the timing difference:
- Housing: stayed with a student host before. It was great - took me 10 minutes to walk to building
- Transportation: I'd give yourself 1-1.5 hours or so to make it to LAX via Uber, since it ends right around rush-hour. My flight was 3 hours after the end of the interview, and I made it with 30 minutes to spare

not an interviewee, but a local - if you're flying back at night budget a ~1hour commute to get to LAX (not accounting for security/etc inside the airport). it's not that far, but traffic between 3:30pm-8pm (esp on a friday) is going to be really bad. I'd say a flight that boards 3.5 hours after your interview day ends is safe, that might be a little extra but I'm paranoid about missing flights!
I also recommend taking the flyaway to/from lax. It’s super cheap and I’ve never had to wait more than 5 mins for it!

I interviewed this past Saturday, and our interview started earlier than the weekday interviews. But it's pretty much the same thing, except the timing difference:
- Housing: stayed with a student host before. It was great - took me 10 minutes to walk to building
- Transportation: I'd give yourself 1-1.5 hours or so to make it to LAX via Uber, since it ends right around rush-hour. My flight was 3 hours after the end of the interview, and I made it with 30 minutes to spare
I also recommend taking the flyaway to/from lax. It’s super cheap and I’ve never had to wait more than 5 mins for it!
Thank you all for your replies/help! I’ll take these into account. My interview is not until the end of next month so I’ll decide between staying with a student or at a hotel since I’d kind of prefer to be alone the night before.

I stayed in an Airbnb in Beverly Hills for three nights for like $180 total. It was a 15 min drive away from the school, but I was with my boyfriend who could drop me off in the morning so it wasn't a huge deal since I didn't need to stress about parking. I flew out the morning after my interview, and getting through LAX was actually super efficient and took very little time. Also, since I left in the early morning, there was no rush hour traffic, so if you don't have a pressing need to get back home the day of your interview, then I'd just leave the next morning unless you have a short journey home. I had to catch 3 flights and travel for like 15 hours total to get back home so it wasn't an easy travel day, which is why I just waited until the next morning to leave so I had time to decompress after the interview before the stress of flying kicked in lol

Hi Everyone, I was wondering when you go on your portal, do you see the name of your references and do you see the date received for your transcripts? Because I don't.

Anyone received a secondary from here recently? As an applicant with a minor IA, my last sliver of hope is vanishing.....

Thank you all for your replies/help! I’ll take these into account. My interview is not until the end of next month so I’ll decide between staying with a student or at a hotel since I’d kind of prefer to be alone the night before.
Hi I haven't been on here in a while! Current MS2, I just wanted to let you know that as of recent the Flyaway to Westwood has been discontinued (heartbreaking to all of us). You can take a normal bus to campus though! I believe it's the 6 or rapid 6 (you have to walk out of the airport to the bus terminal which takes ~20 min and then the bus, which costs like $1 or $2). I've done it before; it's not too bad, but definitely not as easy as an Uber/Lyft or the old Flyaway.

also stay with us! we are great (i am obviously biased haha) and we love talking to applicants!

For anyone who interviewed, did they say if they are they sending out acceptances on October 15?
they said at my interview last week that it would be "a couple of months" until decisions came out...so i'm assuming the earliest will be november/december lol

Hi I haven't been on here in a while! Current MS2, I just wanted to let you know that as of recent the Flyaway to Westwood has been discontinued (heartbreaking to all of us). You can take a normal bus to campus though! I believe it's the 6 or rapid 6 (you have to walk out of the airport to the bus terminal which takes ~20 min and then the bus, which costs like $1 or $2). I've done it before; it's not too bad, but definitely not as easy as an Uber/Lyft or the old Flyaway.

also stay with us! we are great (i am obviously biased haha) and we love talking to applicants!
Oh no! They discontinued the flyaway!? That's so sad! The bus sounds cheaper, though! I guess there's always uber/lyft/supershuttle :(