-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted972488
Called it. Congratulations!!! 🙂JUST ACCEPTED! I absolutely cannot believe this, am at a total loss for words. GO BRUINS!
D
deleted958920
NICE! This made my day!JUST ACCEPTED! I absolutely cannot believe this, am at a total loss for words. GO BRUINS!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted958920
ACCEPTED!
D
deleted972488
YES!ACCEPTED!

I realize this is mostly likely a silly question and I already know the answer, but is there any precedent of someone receiving the David Geffen Scholarship after being accepted from the wait list? I was accepted into UCLA today, but there's no way I can afford LA without that scholarship lol. Seeing as how it's so late in the game and I'm coming off of the wait-list, the odds of that scholarship being available are slim to nil, right?
D
deleted972488
I think it doesn't hurt to have a conversation with financial aid / admissions and see what they can do, especially if you have other options that are much cheaper.I realize this is mostly likely a silly question and I already know the answer, but is there any precedent of someone receiving the David Geffen Scholarship after being accepted from the wait list? I was accepted into UCLA today, but there's no way I can afford LA without that scholarship lol. Seeing as how it's so late in the game and I'm coming off of the wait-list, the odds of that scholarship being available are slim to nil, right?
Agent Burt Macklin
Full Member
CONGRATS FAM
I realize this is mostly likely a silly question and I already know the answer, but is there any precedent of someone receiving the David Geffen Scholarship after being accepted from the wait list? I was accepted into UCLA today, but there's no way I can afford LA without that scholarship lol. Seeing as how it's so late in the game and I'm coming off of the wait-list, the odds of that scholarship being available are slim to nil, right?
I don't know if it would go to folks that get in off the waitlist before already accepted students, but I declined the Geffen so I figure the money has to go somewhere. I doubt I'm the only one so there might be a few floating around
I declined my Geffen today and it was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do. I really hope that it goes to someone else this year, maybe even off the waitlist. Good luck everyone!!I realize this is mostly likely a silly question and I already know the answer, but is there any precedent of someone receiving the David Geffen Scholarship after being accepted from the wait list? I was accepted into UCLA today, but there's no way I can afford LA without that scholarship lol. Seeing as how it's so late in the game and I'm coming off of the wait-list, the odds of that scholarship being available are slim to nil, right?
I think I saw that happen once in the thread last year. It should be possible if those accepted turn down their scholarships. The committees are separate, so the scholarship committee chooses based on the pool of accepted students. It could be possible that once accepted, you’re still in the running for a scholarship. Though it likely depends on previous scholarship recipients turning them down (which it seems like above some have) and there’s probably only a few to go around. Hoping the best for you 🙂I realize this is mostly likely a silly question and I already know the answer, but is there any precedent of someone receiving the David Geffen Scholarship after being accepted from the wait list? I was accepted into UCLA today, but there's no way I can afford LA without that scholarship lol. Seeing as how it's so late in the game and I'm coming off of the wait-list, the odds of that scholarship being available are slim to nil, right?
D
deleted972488
Anyone know if there’s an accepted student facebook page? Sorry if I missed it being talked about, there’s too much to sift through haha
Thank you!!www.facebook.com
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So so so happy for you! I occasionally check this forum just to root for you!!JUST ACCEPTED! I absolutely cannot believe this, am at a total loss for words. GO BRUINS!
Agent Burt Macklin
Full Member
oh my goodness, SO kind. your rooting helped <3So so so happy for you! I occasionally check this forum just to root for you!!
D
deleted918650
Hi guys,
I have a few questions on my mind:
Is there any possibility to defer if, because of COVID-19, classes are to be conducted online in the Fall?
Can we sign a petition to delay the start of Fall semester for up to a month so not to start our medical school online?
Need your valuable insights!!
I have a few questions on my mind:
Is there any possibility to defer if, because of COVID-19, classes are to be conducted online in the Fall?
Can we sign a petition to delay the start of Fall semester for up to a month so not to start our medical school online?
Need your valuable insights!!
SunshineAndRainbows
New Member
Long time lurker here - made this account just to tell future lurkers and applicants that I recently got the Geffen scholarship, weeks AFTER I had already committed to enroll here. So it is possible (albeit rare) to get geffen after being accepted and don’t lose hope if you don’t receive it at the same time as your offer of admission! Some people my cycle got it a few weeks after, I know of one person who got it a few months after, and I’m probably the outlier at receiving it a whole seven months after, so anything is possible. Good luck to those applying this upcoming cycle and have fun going through 61 pages of this thread 😀
Last edited:
D
deleted688779
Congrats! Enjoy the great opportunity.Long time lurker here - made this account just to tell future lurkers and applicants that I recently got the Geffen scholarship, weeks AFTER I had already committed to enroll here. So it is possible (albeit rare) to get geffen after being accepted and don’t lose hope if you don’t receive it at the same time as your offer of admission! Some people my cycle got it a few weeks after, I know of one person who got it a few months after, and I’m probably the outlier at receiving it a whole seven months after, so anything is possible. Good luck to those applying this upcoming cycle and have fun going through 61 pages of this thread 😀
I guess they might be done with waitlists then? 🙁
Anyone not on “top of waitlist” hear back recently?
ls1422
Full Member
Yup I got my Geffen 6 months after my acceptance (recently, actually, though this is my first time posting about it so as not to identify myself)Long time lurker here - made this account just to tell future lurkers and applicants that I recently got the Geffen scholarship, weeks AFTER I had already committed to enroll here. So it is possible (albeit rare) to get geffen after being accepted and don’t lose hope if you don’t receive it at the same time as your offer of admission! Some people my cycle got it a few weeks after, I know of one person who got it a few months after, and I’m probably the outlier at receiving it a whole seven months after, so anything is possible. Good luck to those applying this upcoming cycle and have fun going through 61 pages of this thread 😀
SunshineAndRainbows
New Member
Congratulations!!! Idk what your situation was but I had already committed so I was extremely surprised since I thought they usually offer Geffens to sway people from other schoolsYup I got my Geffen 6 months after my acceptance (recently, actually, though this is my first time posting about it so as not to identify myself)
ls1422
Full Member
I had not quite committed but they knew I was on my way to it 🙂 Seems like they genuinely just want to help people with these scholarships. I have no idea why they chose to help me but it's just an incredible honor.Congratulations!!! Idk what your situation was but I had already committed so I was extremely surprised since I thought they usually offer Geffens to sway people from other schools
wackprophet
New Member
Congrats! Enjoy the great opportunity.
I guess they might be done with waitlists then? 🙁
Anyone not on “top of waitlist” hear back recently?
Hi, long-time lurker as well-
If it is helpful, I got in non-"top-of-waitlist" last Wednesday, so there's still hope! 🙂
D
deleted688779
Congrats! Were you IS or OOS?Hi, long-time lurker as well-
If it is helpful, I got in non-"top-of-waitlist" last Wednesday, so there's still hope! 🙂
wackprophet
New Member
Thank you! I was an in-state applicant.Congrats! Were you IS or OOS?
Agent Burt Macklin
Full Member
Hi, long-time lurker as well-
If it is helpful, I got in non-"top-of-waitlist" last Wednesday, so there's still hope! 🙂
AHHHHH, congratulations!!!!! So excited for you.
Stay hopeful people!
ls1422
Full Member
I'm pretty sure CTE is 3 weeks before classesCTE is June 1st so maybe not?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted688779
Is that what they said to accepted applicants or just the general rule?I'm pretty sure CTE is 3 weeks before classes
Not sure if I should trust MSAR, which says June 1
CTE is June 1st for Drew/UCLA, PRIME, and MSTP but is 3 weeks before classes for just Geffen MDIs that what they said to accepted applicants or just the general rule?
Not sure if I should trust MSAR, which says June 1
Agent Burt Macklin
Full Member
CTE is June 1st for Drew/UCLA, PRIME, and MSTP but is 3 weeks before classes for just Geffen MD
that's what we thought, but Geffen MD matriculants just received an email stating that it's June 1st for them as well.
D
deleted688779
Any news?
D
deleted688779
Congrats! Fingers crossed for more!Accepted this morning!!!!! Absolutely ecstatic
koalaburrito
Full Member
No there is plenty of aid outside of the Geffen. I personally got the Geffen but after I was offered other merit based fin aid initially.Does anyone how good need-based fin aid is here for OOS applicants? Do admitted students only get Geffen scholarships after submitting fin aid apps?
It’s ok to repeat some information here. Do word it a little differently.
If I already explained what I did in the Activities section and explained stuff I learned in the MME, should I just use this space to expand on different aspects of my duties/lessons I learned? Thanks 🙂
D
deleted688779
Probably last post here: I guess that’s it for WL? MSAR claims the 10th is the final day acceptances are granted.
I called admissions committee about 2 weeks ago and they saId they will make their last decisions by Friday, 7/10. There is maybe still hope for 1-2 of us!
Probably last post here: I guess that’s it for WL? MSAR claims the 10th is the final day acceptances are granted.