2019-2020 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By sent, do you mean you just uploaded it to the portal, or did you also send a copy to the admissions office via email?

Uploaded via the portal. I am pretty sure it states that they can't accept updates via email on the portal. Sorry about that, my wording was definitely confusing!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
JUST ACCEPTED! I absolutely cannot believe this, am at a total loss for words. GO BRUINS!

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I realize this is mostly likely a silly question and I already know the answer, but is there any precedent of someone receiving the David Geffen Scholarship after being accepted from the wait list? I was accepted into UCLA today, but there's no way I can afford LA without that scholarship lol. Seeing as how it's so late in the game and I'm coming off of the wait-list, the odds of that scholarship being available are slim to nil, right?

Reactions: 1 users
I realize this is mostly likely a silly question and I already know the answer, but is there any precedent of someone receiving the David Geffen Scholarship after being accepted from the wait list? I was accepted into UCLA today, but there's no way I can afford LA without that scholarship lol. Seeing as how it's so late in the game and I'm coming off of the wait-list, the odds of that scholarship being available are slim to nil, right?
I think it doesn't hurt to have a conversation with financial aid / admissions and see what they can do, especially if you have other options that are much cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user

I don't know if it would go to folks that get in off the waitlist before already accepted students, but I declined the Geffen so I figure the money has to go somewhere. I doubt I'm the only one so there might be a few floating around

I declined my Geffen today and it was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do. I really hope that it goes to someone else this year, maybe even off the waitlist. Good luck everyone!!

I think I saw that happen once in the thread last year. It should be possible if those accepted turn down their scholarships. The committees are separate, so the scholarship committee chooses based on the pool of accepted students. It could be possible that once accepted, you’re still in the running for a scholarship. Though it likely depends on previous scholarship recipients turning them down (which it seems like above some have) and there’s probably only a few to go around. Hoping the best for you :)

Anyone know if there’s an accepted student facebook page? Sorry if I missed it being talked about, there’s too much to sift through haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if there’s an accepted student facebook page? Sorry if I missed it being talked about, there’s too much to sift through haha

• Love
Has anyone who has been accepted not on the “top of the waitlist”?

Congrats to all accepted off the waitlist so far! :D

Hi guys,
I have a few questions on my mind:
Is there any possibility to defer if, because of COVID-19, classes are to be conducted online in the Fall?
Can we sign a petition to delay the start of Fall semester for up to a month so not to start our medical school online?

Need your valuable insights!!

Long time lurker here - made this account just to tell future lurkers and applicants that I recently got the Geffen scholarship, weeks AFTER I had already committed to enroll here. So it is possible (albeit rare) to get geffen after being accepted and don’t lose hope if you don’t receive it at the same time as your offer of admission! Some people my cycle got it a few weeks after, I know of one person who got it a few months after, and I’m probably the outlier at receiving it a whole seven months after, so anything is possible. Good luck to those applying this upcoming cycle and have fun going through 61 pages of this thread :D

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Long time lurker here - made this account just to tell future lurkers and applicants that I recently got the Geffen scholarship, weeks AFTER I had already committed to enroll here. So it is possible (albeit rare) to get geffen after being accepted and don’t lose hope if you don’t receive it at the same time as your offer of admission! Some people my cycle got it a few weeks after, I know of one person who got it a few months after, and I’m probably the outlier at receiving it a whole seven months after, so anything is possible. Good luck to those applying this upcoming cycle and have fun going through 61 pages of this thread :D
Congrats! Enjoy the great opportunity.

I guess they might be done with waitlists then? :(

Anyone not on “top of waitlist” hear back recently?

Yup I got my Geffen 6 months after my acceptance (recently, actually, though this is my first time posting about it so as not to identify myself)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Yup I got my Geffen 6 months after my acceptance (recently, actually, though this is my first time posting about it so as not to identify myself)
Congratulations!!! Idk what your situation was but I had already committed so I was extremely surprised since I thought they usually offer Geffens to sway people from other schools

Congratulations!!! Idk what your situation was but I had already committed so I was extremely surprised since I thought they usually offer Geffens to sway people from other schools
I had not quite committed but they knew I was on my way to it :) Seems like they genuinely just want to help people with these scholarships. I have no idea why they chose to help me but it's just an incredible honor.

Congrats! Enjoy the great opportunity.

I guess they might be done with waitlists then? :(

Anyone not on “top of waitlist” hear back recently?

Hi, long-time lurker as well-

If it is helpful, I got in non-"top-of-waitlist" last Wednesday, so there's still hope! :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
If we haven’t heard back yet, is it safe to say WL movement is over?

Is that what they said to accepted applicants or just the general rule?

Not sure if I should trust MSAR, which says June 1
CTE is June 1st for Drew/UCLA, PRIME, and MSTP but is 3 weeks before classes for just Geffen MD

CTE is June 1st for Drew/UCLA, PRIME, and MSTP but is 3 weeks before classes for just Geffen MD

that's what we thought, but Geffen MD matriculants just received an email stating that it's June 1st for them as well.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted this morning!!!!! Absolutely ecstatic

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone how good need-based fin aid is here for OOS applicants? Do admitted students only get Geffen scholarships after submitting fin aid apps?

Does anyone how good need-based fin aid is here for OOS applicants? Do admitted students only get Geffen scholarships after submitting fin aid apps?
No there is plenty of aid outside of the Geffen. I personally got the Geffen but after I was offered other merit based fin aid initially.

It’s ok to repeat some information here. Do word it a little differently.

If I already explained what I did in the Activities section and explained stuff I learned in the MME, should I just use this space to expand on different aspects of my duties/lessons I learned? Thanks :)

Probably last post here: I guess that’s it for WL? MSAR claims the 10th is the final day acceptances are granted.

I called admissions committee about 2 weeks ago and they saId they will make their last decisions by Friday, 7/10. There is maybe still hope for 1-2 of us!

Probably last post here: I guess that’s it for WL? MSAR claims the 10th is the final day acceptances are granted.