Fruitjuice

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2015
on my signature (512) lol. I also go to UCLA for undergrad but that probably makes 0 difference
You have 5 IIs, there must be something great about your app. If you don’t mind me asking, do you think you have any special “wow factors”?

Oct 11, 2018
You have 5 IIs, there must be something great about your app. If you don’t mind me asking, do you think you have any special “wow factors”?
The wow factor is he/she is a world class master. Just look at the name.

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

The Inner Machinations of my mind are an enigma
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical

Attachments

Reactions: GloballyMed
Jan 8, 2018
Oct 11, 2018
Aug 13, 2018
California
Status
Pre-Medical
I thought the 5 IIs was due to casting the net very broadly and applying to 44 schools lol. I don't really think i have "wow factors"? or maybe I'm just too critical of myself. I have 2 basic science pubs and a presentation at a professional conference might be the most "wow factor"? However my app is focused mostly on serving the community rather than academic medicine so i have no clue lol

Reactions: Fruitjuice

Fruitjuice

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2015
I thought the 5 IIs was due to casting the net very broadly and applying to 44 schools lol. I don't really think i have "wow factors"? or maybe I'm just too critical of myself. I have 2 basic science pubs and a presentation at a professional conference might be the most "wow factor"? However my app is focused mostly on serving the community rather than academic medicine so i have no clue lol
It might be because you are applying broadly. However, I still think there is something unique about you, which earned you the UCLA II.

Thanks for sharing. Just trying to see where I'm lacking compared to those drowning in T20 IIs (I know this is taboo on SDN but whatever lol)

Reactions: premed20172017
Jan 8, 2018
Congrats! When were you complete?

Aug 13, 2018
California
Status
Pre-Medical
It might be because you are applying broadly. However, I still think there is something unique about you, which earned you the UCLA II.

Thanks for sharing. Just trying to see where I'm lacking compared to those drowning in T20 IIs (I know this is taboo on SDN but whatever lol)
This one is actually my first T20! So don't worry, still early in the cycle! Lets be patient together :)

Jan 8, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh it is terrible! I did it from Utah on vacation two weeks ago. and will do it again the following week. Let's just say my boss is not happy with my application success and is forcing these red-eyes
Wait that's terrible!! Why is he/she not happy with your application success?

Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick

The Inner Machinations of my mind are an enigma
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Wait that's terrible!! Why is he/she not happy with your application success?
Because employers want their employees to not be absent from work regardless of reasoning. Their boss is likely happy for their success, but unhappy that one of their employees needs to miss so much work.

That is how the professional world works....

Engrailed

Keep calm and drink water. Namaste.
Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Because employers want their employees to not be absent from work regardless of reasoning. Their boss is likely happy for their success, but unhappy that one of their employees needs to miss so much work.

That is how the professional world works....
I think it's also a luck of the draw. I have been grateful to have a mentor who is understanding and extremely supportive (even for people escaping academia for the private sector/consulting/biotech/finance etc) but I realize that not all are the same. Do agree that bosses have other obligations/deadline to meet and so wince at the thought of students missing a lot of work. To each their own I suppose!

Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it's also a luck of the draw. I have been grateful to have a mentor who is understanding and extremely supportive (even for people escaping academia for the private sector/consulting/biotech/finance etc) but I realize that not all are the same. Do agree that bosses have other obligations/deadline to meet and so wince at the thought of students missing a lot of work. To each their own I suppose!
My boss is an MD and while hasnt specifically stated she is mad about my missing work, she did ask “is this going to continue past september????” she then followed that with “i guess its important what medical school you go to.” So idk. Either way, i feel bad about it. Wish I was not working so I could be completely happy about each new II i get and not worry about my stupid boss. (Sorry for the vent lol)

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
My boss is an MD and while hasnt specifically stated she is mad about my missing work, she did ask “is this going to continue past september????” she then followed that with “i guess its important what medical school you go to.” So idk. Either way, i feel bad about it. Wish I was not working so I could be completely happy about each new II i get and not worry about my stupid boss. (Sorry for the vent lol)
Wow that is beyond lukewarm/bad vibes. "I GUESS it could potentially alter the trajectory of your life" is what that sounds like to me.
But yes, think of each new II as an opportunity to delve into a brighter future. Best of luck this cycle

Akktheyakk

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2016
@Laix or anyone else, any thoughts on how UCLA views reapplicants? I interviewed here early in the cycle last year and thought the interview went really well (but...subjective viewpoint means almost nothing), but obv was not accepted. I did not have much clinical experience, and I think that's what hurt me (was told this by other schools). Have added a couple hundred hours of meaningful experience, and significant application rewrite, but no word from UCLA so far. Are they hard on reapplicants?

Deep dark fear that I somehow stuck both feet in my mouth during the interview last year and didn't even realize it and now they are blacklisting my application... :depressed:

I’m a current MS1 and was a reapplicant. I didn’t interview at UCLA during my first cycle so I can’t speak to that part, but I will say being a reapplicant didn’t even come up in my interview. I personally know of 1 other reapplicant who is also a current MS1. Not sure if there are a ton of us but we do exist!

I will say for both of us though that we had pretty big changes from our first application cycle to our more recent one. I think UCLA is amenable to reapps if you can show growth from one cycle to the next. Hope that helps a bit - feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions.

Reactions: Laix and MrsDrDr
Oct 11, 2018
Hi, I was just wondering if you put your academic probation as IA on your app.
Yes, I explained it in the IA section.

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
It looks like UCLA is moving to a curriculum similar to Duke’s (one year preclinical, third year dedicated to research).

Any current students know anything about this?

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
It looks like UCLA is moving to a curriculum similar to Duke’s (one year preclinical, third year dedicated to research).

Any current students know anything about this?
Third yr research yr would be amazing if true!!

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Reactions: EmbryonalCarcinoma
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
This is a game changer for me. Was loving the yale system, but this sweetens the deal at ucla for sure!

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does this mean, UCLA PRIME will be a 4 year program??

Jan 4, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you know if UCLA is receptive to secondary extensions? My application is still available but it's past the due date.

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
Just had my interview. This is actually not true! There will be changes but third year will be clerkships. The full implementation of the new curriculum will be for incoming class of 2021.
:(

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Just had my interview. This is actually not true! There will be changes but third year will be clerkships. The full implementation of the new curriculum will be for incoming class of 2021.
:sorry: But its still an amazing school nonethless!

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh, so weird, at my interview in August they told us it would be used for class of 2020!

Attachments

Apr 28, 2019
does anyone know if they have a policy regarding thank you notes post interview? I know some schools have very specific ways they want you to submit them

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
does anyone know if they have a policy regarding thank you notes post interview? I know some schools have very specific ways they want you to submit them
Not sure if it was for this school but i think the consensus was dont send it
There are schools that strongly suggest one, ucla is not one of them I believe.
I am not entirely certain so just check this thread’s other pages

sagehen47

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I asked the interview coordinators and she said that I could email them to the admissions office and they would be forwarded to my interviewers! She seemed to be positive about me sending them. But then I sent them and didn't get a reply. So! Who knows!

Reactions: premed20172017
Jun 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
For people who interviewed - did you use the schedule that was on your portal email or the schedule that was on the original pdf that they asked you to save when you scheduled the interview that disappeared after you closed the interview date selection page? Portal email says 9:45 but the original doc said 8:15. The addresses listed for the interviews are also different.

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
For people who interviewed - did you use the schedule that was on your portal email or the schedule that was on the original pdf that they asked you to save when you scheduled the interview that disappeared after you closed the interview date selection page? Portal email says 9:45 but the original doc said 8:15. The addresses listed for the interviews are also different.
Also curious...

Reactions: Engrailed and mh03

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Most of us are not too happy about this. Most of us don't want to share our 3rd year clerkship with MS2, especially this is the first time the clinical sites are taking double the students

Mar 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Most of us are not too happy about this. Most of us don't want to share our 3rd year clerkship with MS2, especially this is the first time the clinical sites are taking double the students
If the implementation is delayed as suggested, wouldn't the incoming/currently interviewing class be the ones with the first overlapping clerkships? Is this something to be concerned about as an applicant?

• Wow
Reactions: Engrailed

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019
Go by the email, for anyone still wondering.

Reactions: mh03

Engrailed

Jun 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok just to make sure everyone is on the same page

After I selected my interview date, the portal page refreshed and gave me my interview date instructions.
But I never received a followup email confirming my date. Is that normal

EmbryonalCarcinoma

Good luck, everyone!
Feb 26, 2019

After I selected my interview date, the portal page refreshed and gave me my interview date instructions.
Email and instructions on the portal are the same for me so you should be fine

AddictedToCaffeine

2+ Year Member
May 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

I never got an email either. I emailed them to see whether there was an interview day schedule avaliable

• Love