2019-2020 VCOM/Bluefield MABS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
was current MABS student that completed the program and hit the May benchmark.
Good luck to everyone doing this program - definitely worth it, considering you'll be retaking most of these classes in med school. Let me know if have any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to everyone doing this program - definitely worth it, considering you'll be retaking most of these classes in med school. Let me know if have any questions!
how hard was maintaining a high GPA in the program? I’d have to get a 3.9 to directly matriculate and not sure if it’s worth the risk vs getting a 3.45 at Touro

how hard was maintaining a high GPA in the program? I’d have to get a 3.9 to directly matriculate and not sure if it’s worth the risk vs getting a 3.45 at Touro
Everyone's different. I did fine on the mcat (low 500) and barely hit the bench mark but there were also students who got 490-493 and completely destroyed the program and got 3.8-4.0. It wouldn't hurt to retake the MCAT, especially after the first semester as people tend to do a lot better on the MCAT after the first semester.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess when the stakes are that high anything is possible
I’m liking EVCOM more than Touro and the VA/Carolinas/Auburn is closer to my hometown and more desirable than rural/suburb NY. But the guarantee at Touro is hard to pass up too.
If anyone has any other experience or testimonies about hitting that 3.9 let me know! Retaking the MCAT is def an option. I was going to retake in April but felt too rushed with finals so I ended up canceling. I wouldn’t have to retake for Touro so that’s another plus.

Does anyone have the class schedule from this past year that they'd be willing to share?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! 2018 MABS student here and I just wanted to address how doable the program is. It is not a hard program as long as you spend your time wisely to study for the program (don't cram for exams). I started with an MCAT of 494 and didn't end up retaking it, most of my friends who were lower retook the MCAT and did much better alleviating a ton of stress for the next semester. IMO the second semester was harder but it might be the feeling of already meeting benchmarks and not feeling as motivated but could also actually be harder (I never took 2nd semester classes in undergrad befofe).

As for free time, I felt like I had a decent amount. I lived in Roanoke, VA for the entire program so I had to drive 40-45 mins everyday there and back and still finished with a 3.97 so it's definitely doable. I would recommend living in Blacksburg though since I have been rushed by traffic a few times on exam days.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Also prior MABS student. Came in with a MCAT of 493 and got a 3.91 first semester and a 4.0 second semester. Went out a decent amount and always made time to catch up on weekly shows. Of course every person is different but I do not feel like you will need to spend 24/7 studying to do well in this program. Its important to be efficient in your studying. For example, first semester I used flash cards heavy and wrote EVERYTHING out for every class. Please dont do this, even if it "works" for you, try something else because the reality of the program and medical school is that you wont have enough time to do this. It is IMPOSSIBLE to write everything out. From jump try printing out the powerpoints and just highlighting/taking notes on those, or use your computer/iPad because its just no way. I would spend about 3.5+ hours per ppt whereas now I spend about 2.5 hrs and even though its just an hour or so difference it definitely adds up.

Second semester is way easier than the first semester in my opinion. As @DaddyNoBeard said, its the fact that you a;ready met the benchmark in December so you get comfortable since you only need a 3.4 and you slack. But I also had never taken genetics, histo/embryo before and still managed to get a 4.0 in the second semester so it is definitely possible.

I do have a quick comment for those who are thinking about retaking the MCAT. Just be aware that, for some odd reason, the administration will take your most recent scores into account only. So....if you end up performing lower than you did the first time, then you will actually be causing yourself more stress. I mention this because a friend of mine decided to retake the MCAT to get the 494 so that they did not have to stress about having to get a 3.9 the first semester, but this plan didn't pan out well since they ended up scoring lower that the first score and this caused more stress for the second semester since they had to redo the MCAT again (in addition to the stress of not getting accepted yet and not knowing what GPA to aim for in the second semester). Just wanted to throw this bit of information for others... Not sure if they will change this policy for the next incoming class (highly doubt it)

Do you mean that we are taking classes with the med students and will repeat the same class in year one? Or is it like a JV version of the varsity level med school version?

Anyone else still waiting to hear back? When is it a good idea to give up lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone complete the program while being a parent at the same time? Curious how that worked out having a family on top of the program needs.

Anyone else still waiting to hear back? When is it a good idea to give up lol

When did you apply and what is the status of your application? Don't give up hope. It took them about 5 weeks to put my application in final review and then one week to make a decision. I heard back one week ago only.

Sort of. It’s the same content, but different exam load and schedule.
Do you mean that we are taking classes with the med students and will repeat the same class in year one? Or is it like a JV version of the varsity level med school version?

Did anyone complete the program while being a parent at the same time? Curious how that worked out having a family on top of the program needs.
We actaully had a husband and wife pair who were both in the program. Two kids, one around a year old and the other around 8-10. They both did well in the program and met their benchmarks. Honestly admire them so much because they made it work!!

When did you apply and what is the status of your application? Don't give up hope. It took them about 5 weeks to put my application in final review and then one week to make a decision. I heard back one week ago only.

Hey, congrats on ur acceptance :) I applied like the last day of the application, I think it was mid April (found out about the program pretty late). I got an email April 29th that everything’s been verified but I haven’t moved into final review yet. Debating on whether I should email them or if that’ll just make me look too impatient.

Hey, congrats on ur acceptance :) I applied like the last day of the application, I think it was mid April (found out about the program pretty late). I got an email April 29th that everything’s been verified but I haven’t moved into final review yet. Debating on whether I should email them or if that’ll just make me look too impatient.

I say give it a little more time. You just hit the 4 week mark since you were verified, and it took them about 5 weeks to move mine from verified to final review. Since they go by receiving date, you are likely lumped in with a lot of people who applied within the last few days. Online it is saying that it may take 6-8 weeks to hear back due to the large amount of applications.

Reposting this again so it's not lost in the thread. The Facebook group is called 2019-2020 Bluefield/VCOM MABS Program.

I was wondering how many of your guys made the May benchmark and how many students from this program ended up getting acceptance?

Also, will you be starting med school in July or do you have to wait until July 2021?

I was wondering how many of your guys made the May benchmark and how many students from this program ended up getting acceptance?

Also, will you be starting med school in July or do you have to wait until July 2021?
i think about 60 hit the december benchmark and more hit the march bench mark (since they only needed the MCAT)-- as far as May benchmark, i don't know but i can only imagine more hit it.
As of right now, i'm waitlisted but will hear back soon :)

What is it like in downtown Blacksburg? I’m debating between a couple of apartments and one is located in east downtown. Sort of by that old cemetery. Loud? Ruckus? Drunk football fans peeing by my car (happened when I moved to Columbus/OSU).

(Applying for 2020/2021 cycle)
Anyone know how this program views community college classes? I took Chemistry at a local community college freshman year (to catch up on courses (changed major) and to save money), and may retake ochem at one this summer. I know they don't look as great, but I really did take them to save financially. Any thoughts?

(Applying for 2020/2021 cycle)
Anyone know how this program views community college classes? I took Chemistry at a local community college freshman year (to catch up on courses (changed major) and to save money), and may retake ochem at one this summer. I know they don't look as great, but I really did take them to save financially. Any thoughts?

I have no idea about this program specifically as I am starting this Fall, but I know that one of the doctors I worked with during undergrad who is on the admissions board at my state school said any of those core classes that are required to apply to medical school (so gen chem and orgo) are very much looked down upon if taken at a community college. Is this something all medical schools/graduate schools may say? That I am not sure of, but that was his opinion being on a medical admissions board.

Just got accepted today! Finally heard back after 7 weeks of my application floating in the ether. Still waiting on my LECOM Bradenton application to be decided upon before having a choice! Excited to be moving back to the States soon, been kicking it in BC. The schedule for this school seems to be grueling, less breaks and more classes at once.... Also higher benchmark. LECOM would be my preferred, because it has a lower benchmark, more breaks, better weather, less classes per term, and actual diversity. Virginia could be cool too I guess tho!

Going off of this, I'm pretty sure state citizenship only plays a major role for the Virginia campus, while students from other states (besides Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and those few others) can pretty much choose freely between the Carolinas and Auburn campuses regardless of their permanent address.
OP is right. I recall speaking with the dean in March for an interview. He said acceptance to specific schools was based on the region your permanent address is in. Florida applicants could choose between Alabama or SC.

can any previous students speak on whether the facebook group was helpful throughout the year? i don't have an account and i'm wondering if it's worth making one?

can any previous students speak on whether the facebook group was helpful throughout the year? i don't have an account and i'm wondering if it's worth making one?
I did not use it very much, we used "GroupMe" and google drive much more.

I think a groupme is a good idea. I’m sure we can get it made when school starts!

Does anyone know how many people are in the facebook group now? I'm trying to see if I have any chance of getting off the waitlist (I seriously doubt it now)

Does anyone know how many people are in the facebook group now? I'm trying to see if I have any chance of getting off the waitlist (I seriously doubt it now)

There are 104, but I can guarantee that some of those are people in this past years program who requested to join and then are offering advice, rent, etc. Have you tried calling the school to see where you are located on the waitlist?

There are 104, but I can guarantee that some of those are people in this past years program who requested to join and then are offering advice, rent, etc. Have you tried calling the school to see where you are located on the waitlist?

Hey, if you don't mind could you PM me your stats? I recently moved into final review this week and wanted to gauge my chances this late in the game.

Thanks for your help! Hopefully there is still some space left haha. When I call I get pretty generic responses which means they're probably still working through applications.

Hi all! Would anyone be able to comment on how hard it is for someone who is not a Virginia, Pennsylvania or Maryland resident to get placed at the Virginia VCOM campus?

Hi all! Would anyone be able to comment on how hard it is for someone who is not a Virginia, Pennsylvania or Maryland resident to get placed at the Virginia VCOM campus?
I'd say that you'd have to have a really really good reason (financial, spouse, kids, employment, etc.). Only because recently there has more and more students being accepted and VA is everyone's number one choice and the spots get filled up fairly quickly. I would assume better chance with earlier benchmarks and very slim chance with later ones.

Hi y'all, so I've submitted my FAFSA and logged into my BC student portal a few times and was wondering if there was anything else I was supposed to do? I haven't gotten much info from BC other than from the FA department. I haven't checked to see if my home address has gotten mail, but my parents haven't told me something came. Anybody know anything more about the matriculation process after being offered admissions?

Hi y'all, so I've submitted my FAFSA and logged into my BC student portal a few times and was wondering if there was anything else I was supposed to do? I haven't gotten much info from BC other than from the FA department. I haven't checked to see if my home address has gotten mail, but my parents haven't told me something came. Anybody know anything more about the matriculation process after being offered admissions?

I’ve not had much contact with BC either and I’ve been accepted since February. There are health and immunization forms to fill out. They’re on the BC MABS website under Accepted Student info.

Thanks for the info! My parents just sent me a picture of the acceptance letter and everything I need to do for matriculation. I was wondering if we need to submit a drug screening with our background check. I'm in Canada right now and am moving in a week, so I'm not sure how easily I could submit a sample. Probably should reach out to BC, but was wondering if anyone had submitted a drug test and completed their background check for the program? Any insight on the process would be helpful.
I’ve not had much contact with BC either and I’ve been accepted since February. There are health and immunization forms to fill out. They’re on the BC MABS website under Accepted Student info.

Thanks for the info! My parents just sent me a picture of the acceptance letter and everything I need to do for matriculation. I was wondering if we need to submit a drug screening with our background check. I'm in Canada right now and am moving in a week, so I'm not sure how easily I could submit a sample. Probably should reach out to BC, but was wondering if anyone had submitted a drug test and completed their background check for the program? Any insight on the process would be helpful.

No drug test is needed! It was just a standard background check to look for criminal history, etc. I see your other question as well, but unfortunately I do not have an answer regarding rentals for pet owners!

Thank you very much for responding to my query! I am grateful to know that it was such an easy process for you and that I don't have another thing to add to my docket this week :D . Thanks for all the help Nala_Dawn!

No drug test is needed! It was just a standard background check to look for criminal history, etc. I see your other question as well, but unfortunately I do not have an answer regarding rentals for pet owners!

Anyone know of rentals near to school for a cat owner?
I know that my apartment complex - Highlands at Huckleberry Ridge - is very pet-friendly (except for certain dog breeds). I'm not sure about the apartments right next to VCOM, but I'm sure they have their pet policy somewhere on the website. CMG Leasing owns a whole bunch of apartments in blacksburg, including the ones right across from VCOM. I will say, obviously, as you move closer to Tech, you're going to be moving into a place with more college students around you, although I bet you could find more graduate students to possibly room with.

Thanks a million drbey78! I appreciate your insight and links. I will be looking this week for potential housing opportunities.

I know that my apartment complex - Highlands at Huckleberry Ridge - is very pet-friendly (except for certain dog breeds). I'm not sure about the apartments right next to VCOM, but I'm sure they have their pet policy somewhere on the website. CMG Leasing owns a whole bunch of apartments in blacksburg, including the ones right across from VCOM. I will say, obviously, as you move closer to Tech, you're going to be moving into a place with more college students around you, although I bet you could find more graduate students to possibly room with.

Does anyone know if it is possible to work part-time during the program?

It probably could be. When I met with he dean he told me it isn't advisable, but that successfully students typically go to class the 20hrs a week and study an additional 40 hrs a week. So if you could find a flexible job to add on top of a 60hr a week commitment, you probably could swing it. Also you might not find you "need" or "want" to study 8 hrs a day in addition to classes, but that 5 hrs works for you. Then you'd have a 45 hr commitment a week. Personally, I think finding free time for myself within the program will be useful in preventing burn out and having a healthy and happy life. Kudos to you if you're someone who can do it all though!

I lived in Roanoke during the extent of the program and worked part time as well. I was a private tutor for college students and worked a couple of hours here and there a week! There were other students who had jobs and did well too! I do recommend getting a "feel" for the program before getting one! I've had friends work at Panera, Kroger's, and as bouncers at some of the local bars.

Anyone know of any modeling agencies in the Blacksburg area?