Navy 2019 4-Year HPSP Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There was one for Army in October, I received a 4 yr then.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I had a question on the length of the serving in the Navy. I know there is a 4-year obligation after graduating from dental school. What if I decided to specialize, and let's say this takes an additional 2 years. Is it a year-by-year term? So I'd be looking at 6 years total?

Any time you spend in residency just delays your payback time. So if you graduate school and then do a 2-year residency you will be technically in for 6 years, although 2 of those years are spent in your residency. It doesn't tack on time unless you count the time you are spending obtaining your specialty education.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you decide to specialize at civilian residency or even military residency, that'd be neutral years; it wouldnt count towards your payback. if you decide to do a GPR/AGED, those will be neutral years too. If you ask to enter a civilian residency right after dental school, you have to request for deferment. But I don't believe the extra two years means 6 years of IRR either; you'd just still do four years of active service study and then 4 addition years on the reserve.

If you decide to specialize at civilian residency or even military residency, that'd be neutral years; it wouldnt count towards your payback. if you decide to do a GPR/AGED, those will be neutral years too. If you ask to enter a civilian residency right after dental school, you have to request for deferment. But I don't believe the extra two years means 6 years of IRR either; you'd just still do four years of active service study and then 4 addition years on the reserve.
What exactly is the 4 years of reserve? I thought most students just serve 4 years and that is it?

What exactly is the 4 years of reserve? I thought most students just serve 4 years and that is it?
If you take a 4 year HPSP, you are obligated to do 4 years of AD and 4 years of IRR. But, most people consider it just 4 years of service because you dont really do anything as an IRR.

If you take a 4 year HPSP, you are obligated to do 4 years of AD and 4 years of IRR. But, most people consider it just 4 years of service because you dont really do anything as an IRR.
Can you please clarify what exactly the IRR is?

You really need to do you homework. You are obligated to do the 4 years of service followed by 4 years inactive reserve (however you wont be called unless its like WW3). Its an 8 yr commitment.

Reactions: 1 user
Couple questions, 1. What are the boards generally looking for in applicants? (ie, grades, scores, leadership, physical fitness). 2. Do board members favor prior service applicants? 3. Do they have any cutoffs? And lastly, for anyone who has completed or almost completed the HPSP have you heard of any dentist filling other billets like MD's in the Navy (ie, Dive officer, flight officer)?

Can you please clarify what exactly the IRR is?

IRR is "Individual Ready Reserves" its a status for most veteran who have completed active duty . In the IRR you have absolutely NO commitments. In some cases IRR is also those who are awaiting to go to active duty like PLC officer candidates or in this case HPSP candidates who have not yet become officers in the military.

IRR is "Individual Ready Reserves" its a status for most veteran who have completed active duty . In the IRR you have absolutely NO commitments. In some cases IRR is also those who are awaiting to go to active duty like PLC officer candidates or in this case HPSP candidates who have not yet become officers in the military.
IRR in this case is not when you awaiting to become an officer. Hpsp officer are put on IRR after their active duty service. Being in dental school does not count towards IRR.

Does anyone know if UoP is your top choice school that it will affect your chances with the Navy Scholarship? (Since it's only a 3 year school)... I know they do give HPSP to UoP students but wasn't sure if it's likely

IRR in this case is not when you awaiting to become an officer. Hpsp officer are put on IRR after their active duty service. Being in dental school does not count towards IRR.

This is not always the case. If you choose to only 4 years then yes you will be put in IRR under any circumstance. However, if you choose to career and serve 8 or more years then you won't have to be placed in IRR. Remember contracts in any capacity are for 8 years hence the 4 + 4. If you've ever in been in the military you would know this. Let's not try and put any wrong information out here folks.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not always the case. If you choose to only 4 years then yes you will be put in IRR under any circumstance. However, if you choose to career and serve 8 or more years then you won't have to be placed in IRR. Remember contracts in any capacity are for 8 years hence the 4 + 4. If you've ever in been in the military you would know this. Let's not try and put any wrong information out here folks.
Hi. Thanks for your input. What bit of information did you find erroneous? Is it the part about being in dental school doesn't count towards IRR?
Because what I am saying more or less agrees with what you said. You are contracted with the Navy at the minimum for the eight years after you finish dental school.

Hi. Thanks for your input. What bit of information did you find erroneous? Is it the part about being in dental school doesn't count towards IRR?
Because what I am saying more or less agrees with what you said. You are contracted with the Navy at the minimum for the eight years after you finish dental school.

No worries, it just seemed as if you meant to say everyone goes to IRR.

Does anyone know if UoP is your top choice school that it will affect your chances with the Navy Scholarship? (Since it's only a 3 year school)... I know they do give HPSP to UoP students but wasn't sure if it's likely
You need to explicitly be applying for a 3 yr to go to UoP. Thats my issue. I got a 4 yr army that will not pay for a 3 year school. Im assuming Navy is the same. Bear that in mind.

You need to explicitly be applying for a 3 yr to go to UoP. Thats my issue. I got a 4 yr army that will not pay for a 3 year school. Im assuming Navy is the same. Bear that in mind.
Hmm thats wierd.... My recruiter didn't mention anything about that. He just asked me what my top school was and I told him UoP and he requested the payment info from them... Hopefully they don't need any other info!

Got the call this morning! Navy 3 Yr!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call this morning! Navy 3 Yr!
Congrats! I know you were hoping for it for UOP! Hopefully USC gets back to you soon too!

Kit has officially been sent up for the boards in January! I'm hoping for some love from the Navy and crossing my fingers that all the 4 years haven't been snagged. Haha

Seems like I am going on the jan board too barring any issues. But I was told it was going to be late jan. And it seems like a lot of people are submitting their kits too.

I am just waiting on getting my 2 interviews from the Navy dentists now... Did this process go smoothly for everyone? Did it take a while for them to contact you and set up the interviews? I am nervous that this is going to take a long time to set up and will set my application back even further.

Once MEPS was out of the way everything went pretty fast and smoothly for me. I was able to do my two interviews within a week of each other, which took a bit of orchestration since I had to go to the "local" NOSC for one of them. I think this all depends on your recruiter though. If your doing all phone interviews then I can't see why it would take too long.

Once MEPS was out of the way everything went pretty fast and smoothly for me. I was able to do my two interviews within a week of each other, which took a bit of orchestration since I had to go to the "local" NOSC for one of them. I think this all depends on your recruiter though. If your doing all phone interviews then I can't see why it would take too long.
Thanks for the response! I think I am just doing all phone interviews, so hopefully I can get them all out of the way soon! Good luck!

Thanks for the response! I think I am just doing all phone interviews, so hopefully I can get them all out of the way soon! Good luck!

You too! The interviews were all very relaxed for me so don't sweat it. Just make sure you let them know that you WANT to be a dentist and that you WANT to serve in the Navy. Let them know how excited you are about the opportunity.

So recently I was fortunate enough to receive an acceptance to a dental school. And after looking at the numbers I decided it might be the best for future me to look into an HPSP to help with paying for dental school. After doing some quick research I realized the USS HPSP 2019 set sail a long time ago, I was wondering can you apply for a 3 year scholarship as a D1 or are these scholarships only for incoming dental students.

So recently I was fortunate enough to receive an acceptance to a dental school. And after looking at the numbers I decided it might be the best for future me to look into an HPSP to help with paying for dental school. After doing some quick research I realized the USS HPSP 2019 set sail a long time ago, I was wondering can you apply for a 3 year scholarship as a D1 or are these scholarships only for incoming dental students.
Yes you can apply for that As a D1. Be sure to get everything in by September or even August!

I was told otherwise... I was told that 3-year scholarships are only open to those who applied for the 4-year and were not selected/waitlisted. I was told this by both the Army and Navy. You may just want to double-check this yourself by speaking with a recruiter. There are a ton of inconsistencies in the information given by recruiters from what I hear on SDN so best bet would be to ask for yourself.

I got a 3 yr just applying for one (didnt apply for a 4 yr)

So I am also waiting for my physical this Thursday, and interviews within the next couple weeks, trying to make the Feb board.Any tips on interview? Also, what do you do during the time in IRR? just same duties as AD and what else? Also, how is the physical since my BP is not too good 125/85 (as of this morning)? Do they use the 120/80 or 140/90 one? The recruiter was so specific about it to me...

Does anyone have a date for the January board yet?

Currently in Navy HSCP program. A little different than HPSP but I have decent knowledge on both subjects.

Will be happy to answer any questions you folks have..

What's the biggest difference between the HPSP and HCSP? What made you choose the HCSP over the FAP or the HPSP? Thanks.

Anybody know if there are many 4-year left? Or has that boat pretty much set sail?

last i heard, the board is suppose to be this week or the next. but I have no idea if this is still the case.

Just checked and as of right now the next board is this Wednesday. (Of course it changes all the time) Good luck to all of us!

Just checked and as of right now the next board is this Wednesday. (Of course it changes all the time) Good luck to all of us!
......I am STILL waiting on my 2 interviews from the dentists... FML

Just got told my recruiter that Ive actually been accepted for a 3 and 4 yr Navy HPSP so I can go anywhere with them! Good luck on boards people!

Just got my final select letter! Good luck with the boards everyone!

Swore in on Wednesday! Army 4 year!

Good luck to everyone! And go see American Sniper!

It's typically wherever the medical recruiting office is located, but you may be able to pick! I'm not sure, that's worth asking though. I am positive you can pick your commissioned officer that swears you in though, so if you know someone who's 2nd LT. and up, then you can have them swear you in! Pretty cool! Otherwise they will assign someone for you.

Hello. My question is in regards to HPSP, FAP, and USUHS. I am prior service and am working on finishing up my bachelor's degree for medical school. Unfortunately, medical school does not accept the pre-req. science courses from any online schooling. I am considering whether to get out and finish the last few courses needed and then coming back in using one the above scholarship programs. My main concern is, how likely is it that prior service members who get out to finish/further their education and try to come back using one of these programs are accepted? What exactly is the service commitment that one will have to give back and what benefits do you receive while under any of the scholarship programs? Thank you.

Hello. My question is in regards to HPSP, FAP, and USUHS. I am prior service and am working on finishing up my bachelor's degree for medical school. Unfortunately, medical school does not accept the pre-req. science courses from any online schooling. I am considering whether to get out and finish the last few courses needed and then coming back in using one the above scholarship programs. My main concern is, how likely is it that prior service members who get out to finish/further their education and try to come back using one of these programs are accepted? What exactly is the service commitment that one will have to give back and what benefits do you receive while under any of the scholarship programs? Thank you.

As far as I can tell, you have the same chance as any other candidates. This is the Dental Navy HPSP thread, but I've heard medicine is 2 for 1. 2 years for every year they pay for you, but I am not 100% sure. The HPSP benefits vary from branch to branch, but generally the Navy and Army gives $20,000 signing bonus, O-1 pay during school, health insurance, etc.

No one here will know about USUHS as they dont offer a dental program.

As far as I can tell, you have the same chance as any other candidates. This is the Dental Navy HPSP thread, but I've heard medicine is 2 for 1. 2 years for every year they pay for you, but I am not 100% sure. The HPSP benefits vary from branch to branch, but generally the Navy and Army gives $20,000 signing bonus, O-1 pay during school, health insurance, etc.

No one here will know about USUHS as they dont offer a dental program.

Sry it didn't show in my tablet screen that this was dental forum but I appreciate the info.. And found out medical is yr for yr with a minimum of 3yr active duty service. Thanks again!