2019 Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is why I am of the opinion geography matter a lot when decided on which DO school to attend. KCU exists in a state with 5 MD school and is essentially a feeder school just due to proximity and how long the school has been around. Half of KU meds EM residents this year are KCU grads (5/10). We share many of our rotations with the local MD schools. You’re not gunna have that with some of these DO schools in the middle of nowhere hours away from the nearest med school with a hospital.

Exactly. Which is basically what I was saying. Geography and scores determine where grads end up more than the 'reputation' of their school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"Feeder programs", as you refer to them, are largely due to regional biases. Most programs match geographically, and those that do match impressively in a different region, are often rockstar students. If you remove the fact that stronger students are more likely to go to more established DO schools and score better on step 1 and match better, you're left with match lists that look about the same, save for regional biases.

You can't compare a TCOM student with a 650 on COMLEX and a LUCOM student who scored a 520. To tease out the facts, you need to compare students attempting to match to the same specialty, with the CV. As for MD programs, there is a school bias i.e. JHH will accept from a top 10 more than a low-tier MD school. This crazy bias doesn't exist in the DO world-- because the differences are so minute.
Feeder programs are just as real for MD schools as they are for DO.

And they are not always regional, as KCU grads, even if outliers, keep seeming to show. Ditto for my students.

I suspect that we may be talking past each other, but my point still holds for a school reputation, even if it is merely geographic in scope.

Well I guess what I’m asking is how much weight does a DO school’s name/reputation matter with residencies?

It's hard to give an absolute answer here. There are thousands of ACGME PDs, each with their own style. For some it probably does not matter at all. For others, reputation or even a familiar school name from a previous resident in the program can make all the difference in choosing an applicant from the pile to interview. Which one is your program's PD? How about the guy who replaces him/her? I bet there is enough variation that everyone's opinion above is simultaneously true somewhere. The point is not to worry about this too much. It is not as generalizable as it is for MD applicants, and certainly not as much as say, having good board scores.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk how good those places are for LUCOM but for a second class I don’t think it’s too bad! Maybe I’m wrong ha

Idk how good those places are for LUCOM but for a second class I don’t think it’s too bad! Maybe I’m wrong ha
That's fewer TRIs than I would have expected from LUCOM but also we can't tell what their placement rate is.

Can we give some major props to the 10 DO 4th years who matched IR this year??!!? That’s insane. IR had the toughest match in 2018 (last year only 3 of us matched) and no doubt many who were interested must have felt too discouraged to apply this year. congrats y’all!

1 LECOM: UMinnesota
1 ROWAN SOM: URochester
3 TCOM: Jackson Memorial Miami, UT Southewestern, Mayo Clinic Florida
4 Touro COM California: Christiana Care, Ohio State, URochester, Stony Brook
1 Western U COM: UMichigan

+ 1 NYCOM: ESIR Baylor College of Medicine, Houston

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Can we give some major props to the 10 DO 4th years who matched IR this year??!!? That’s insane. IR had the toughest match in 2018 (last year only 3 of us matched) and no doubt many who were interested must have felt too discouraged to apply this year. congrats y’all!

I feel like I am so late to the party but TCOM is actually pretty impressive overall. I remembered being so impressed by one of their students when I auditioned with them. The school seems so solid and their match this year is another indicator. Props to them

Reactions: 1 users

Local MD school had an IR conference/symposium this year and a few friends of mine went. There’s a DO IR resident there from KCU. Theyvas about being a DO and the PD basically said IR is a very small group of people and DO doesn’t matter as much as long as you’re making connections within the IR community.

Reactions: 5 users

OSU had one at Baylor

Members don't see this ad :)
You actually aren’t guaranteed IR- you have to apply for independent IR programs (equivalent to a one year fellowship) later on in residency. Check out ESIR website below for more information:

lol. whats the difference? In the end they are 100% going to be IR docs.

You actually aren’t guaranteed IR- you have to apply for independent IR programs (equivalent to a one year fellowship) later on in residency. Check out ESIR website below for more information:

What happens if you don't get into an IR fellowship? Can you still apply to other fellowships? Are you stuck for a year without a fellowship having to wait until the next cycle?

What happens if you don't get into an IR fellowship? Can you still apply to other fellowships? Are you stuck for a year without a fellowship having to wait until the next cycle?

The match rate for IR fellowship last year was basically 99%

This is the old system where the “fellowship” was still a thing. With the implementation of the IR/DR system this is taking away historically “fellowship” positions, thus less spots will be available for ESIR candidates to apply into. That “99%” Match rate that you are referring is thus expected to drop substantially which is why ESIR at Baylor is not to be considered an IR match. These are still DR matches, not IR. Also, even if you do get one of the ESIR spots you are not required to apply IR following your DR residency. Many people realize the lifestyle and actual day to day job of a diagnostic radiologist is actually more what they were wanting and never end up applying IR. It’s the equivalent of everyone coming in as an MS1 wanting surgery and realizing what surgery really entails as a job and lifestyle...

Again, if you want more information regarding the new pathways I would really recommend checking out the ESIR website.

The match rate for IR fellowship last year was basically 99%

The new DR/IR, ESIR, Independent Residency system is unnecessarily complex.

However for the sake of this conversation DR/IR >>> DR or ESIR spots in terms of competitiveness.

That being said, a DR match at Baylor is still damn impressive.

SOMA

59 matches into FM/IM/Peds
10 EM
6 OB
4 Psych
3 gas
3 gen surg
3 PMR
2 diagnostic radiology
1 urology
1 ortho
1 ENT head neck surgery
1 path
1 neuro
1 child neuro

Reactions: 3 users
SOMA

59 matches into FM/IM/Peds
10 EM
6 OB
4 Psych
3 gas
3 gen surg
3 PMR
2 diagnostic radiology
1 urology
1 ortho
1 ENT head neck surgery
1 path
1 neuro
1 child neuro

that kind of seems meh at first glance. is there a way to get the detailed version to see where they matched?
surprised there are no traditional rotating internships...
seems pretty low on specialties. 59 FM/IM/Peds, 37 other specialties (59 + 37 = class size of 96?)

Last edited:
that kind of seems meh at first glance. is there a way to get the detailed version to see where they matched?
seems pretty low on specialties. 59 FM/IM/Peds, 37 other specialties (59 + 37 = class size of 96?)
Seems better than CNU's list.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems better than CNU's list.

Is CNU an osteopathic school I'm unfamiliar with or is CNU, California Northstate University? Sorry not familiar with this school.

Is CNU an osteopathic school I'm unfamiliar with or is CNU, California Northstate University? Sorry not familiar with this school.

Yes, Northstate

SOMA is a mission driven school if there ever was one. Most of my classmates started wanting FM, and finished by matching FM. A few switched to IM or Peds, a few ended up wanting specialties. But this list is a pretty normal breakdown for SOMA.

Plus, the proper way to interpret a match list requires knowing what specialty people wanted, and how high on their ROL they landed.

There were 3 TRI and 2-3 OMM residencies. I think there were 3 students that went unmatched. Not sure about those.
Don't forget SOMA does indeed have a mission to send its students to primary care, especially FM. They're very open about it.

There were 3 TRI and 2-3 OMM residencies. I think there were 3 students that went unmatched. Not sure about those.
Don't forget SOMA does indeed have a mission to send its students to primary care, especially FM. They're very open about it.

Every single school has this mission.

SOMA is a mission driven school if there ever was one. Most of my classmates started wanting FM, and finished by matching FM. A few switched to IM or Peds, a few ended up wanting specialties. But this list is a pretty normal breakdown for SOMA.

Plus, the proper way to interpret a match list requires knowing what specialty people wanted, and how high on their ROL they landed.

Is there a lot of pressure from administration to go FM? Do they make it difficult to apply or rotate at other specialties? Based on the elective and selective options it seems like students would have freedom to try out other specialties. I'm an incoming SOMA student, and while I would love to do FM and would be happy with it, I am also very interested in a few other specialties as well. I said that in my interview as well.

Is there a lot of pressure from administration to go FM? Do they make it difficult to apply or rotate at other specialties? Based on the elective and selective options it seems like students would have freedom to try out other specialties. I'm an incoming SOMA student, and while I would love to do FM and would be happy with it, I am also very interested in a few other specialties as well. I said that in my interview as well.
Every school with a 'mission' doesn't force you into anything. They just cater who they admit to the school to fit the type of physician they're wanting to create. Just go there and you do you. Nobodys gonna make you do anything

No there’s no pressure, just a strong focus on primary care from the school in preclinical years, and a certain student recruiting strategy that tends to attract students with demonstrated interest in primary care.

Every single school has this mission.

Yes, but SOMA’s charter is built specifically around generating primary care docs, specifically primary care docs for community health and underserved places. Their whole reason for being is based firmly in that.

Bolded is 1000% correct, but the match list info is at a minimum, a very rough rule of thumb.

Even at the most PC loving of DO schools, 40-50% of the graduates go into specialties.

Any information on KYCOM?
Yeah, they unsurprisingly went 100% couples match this year.

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
Dude look at WVSOM. 98% match rate with 2 into orthopedic surgery and 1 into derm. very nice

Is rad onc very doable for DOs at the moment? I'm not sure I saw any on these match lists here. I know it's not super competitive these days but I would have thought I'd see a few unless I just missed them.

Is rad onc very doable for DOs at the moment? I'm not sure I saw any on these match lists here. I know it's not super competitive these days but I would have thought I'd see a few unless I just missed them.

Sure. But why would you want to do that to yourself. The whole point of med school is to get a job afterwords

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
PCOM-PA and Georgia just posted their match lists.

PA
PHILADELPHIA COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE
2019 Residency List – Philadelphia Campus
Anesthesiology (8)
Baystate Medical Center
Drexel University COM
Emory University
Maimonides Medical Center
St. Barnabas Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson University
University of Washington Affiliate Hospitals

Dermatology (2)
KCU-GME Consortium
Lehigh Valley Health Network

Emergency Medicine (29)
Albert Einstein Medical Center
Aria Health
Brookdale Hospital Medical Center
Case Western/University Hospital Cleveland Medical Center
Christiana Care
CMSRU/Cooper University Hospital
Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center
Crozer-Chester Medical Center
Drexel University COM
Hackensack University Medical Center
Inspira Medical Center
Lehigh Valley Hospital
Morristown Mem Hospital
Palm Beach Consortium for Graduate Medical Education
Rowan University SOM
St. Joseph’s University Medical Center
St. Luke’s Hospital
University of Florida COM - Shands Hospital
University of North Carolina

Family Medicine (36)
Abington Memorial Hospital
Allegheny Health Network Medical Education
Christiana Care
CoxHealth
Geisinger Hospital
Lankenau Medical Center
Lower Bucks Hospital
MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center
Mercy Medical Center
Overlook Hospital
PCOM/Penn State Health St. Joseph Medical Center
PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center
Penn State Hershey Medical Center
Puyallup Tribal Health Authority
Rowan University SOM
St. Joseph’s Health
St. Lukes Hospital
St. Luke's Miners Campus
Stamford Hospital
Suburban Community Hospital
University of Arizona COM
University of Massachusetts Medical School
UPMC Altoona
UPMC Pinnacle Lititz
UPMC St. Margaret
Washington Health System
Western Michigan University Stryker SOM
Wright Center National Family Medicine

Family Medicine/Emergency Medicine
Aria Health

General Surgery (10)
Christiana Care
Eisenhower Army Medical Center
Geisinger Health System
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
St. Barnabas Hospital
St. John's Episcsopal Hospital
UPMC Pinnacle Community Osteopathic Hospital

Internal Medicine (55)
Abington Memorial Hospital
Allegheny General Hospital
Aria Health
AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center
Christiana Care
Franciscan Health Olympia Fields
Geisinger Health System
Greenville Health System/University of South Carolina
Indiana University SOM
Inspira Medical Center
Jefferson Health/Our Lady of Lourdes
Lankenau Medical Center
Lehigh Valley Hospital
Mercy Catholic Medical Center
Pennsylvania Hospital
Reading Hospital and Medical Center
Rowan University SOM
Sovah Health
St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center
St. Mary Medical Center
Temple University Hospital
University of Massachusetts Medical School
UPMC McKeesport
UPMC Pinnacle Community Osteopathic
William Beaumont Army Medical Center

Internship (20)
Garden City Medical Center
Inspira Medical Center
Lankenau Medical Center
Larkin Community Hospital
Lehigh Valley Hospital
Mercy Catholic Medical Center
Nazareth Hospital
Peconic Bay Medical Center
Philadelphia College Osteopathic Medicine
UPMC McKeesport

Military (10)

Eisenhower Army Medical Center
Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
Nellis Air Force Base/University of Nevada Medical Center
San Antonio Military Medical Center
San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
William Beaumont Army Medical Center

Neurology
Jefferson Medical College/duPont Childrens

Neuro-Surgery

OBGYN (12)
Detroit Medical Center
Doctors Hospital - Ohio Health
Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center
Howard University Hospital
Inspira Medical Center
Lehigh Valley Hospital
Lincoln Medical Center
Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
Rowan University SOM
Summa Health/NEOMED
York Hospital

Ophthalmology (2)

Orthopedic Surgery (6)
Inspira Health Network
Jefferson Health/Our Lady of Lourdes
Jersey City Medical Center
Nassau University Medical Center
UPMC Pinnacle Community Osteopathic Hospital

Otolaryngology & Facial Plastic Surgery

Pathology (3)
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
Loyola University Medical Center
Northwestern McGaw

Pediatrics (19)
Advocate Health Care
Akron Children’s Hospital - NEOMED
Baystate Medical Center
Carillion Clinic Virginia Tech Carillion SOM
Cook County Health and Hospital System
Eastern VA Medical School
Indiana University SOM
Jersey Shore University Medical Center
Lehigh Valley Hospital
Montefiore Medical Center
Nationwide Children’s Hospital
Rutgers R W Johnson Medical School
St. Christopher’s Hospital
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School
Westchester Medical Center

Physical Medicine &Rehabilitation (7)
John Hopkins University
Montefiore Medical Center
Rutgers R W Johnson Medical School
Temple University
Thomas Jefferson University
Virginia Commonwealth University

Psychiatry (10)
Christiana Care
Drexel University COM
Lehigh Valley Hospital
NYCOMEC
Tufts Medical Center
University of Connecticut School of Medicine

Radiology Oncology (2)
Georgetown University
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital

Radiology-Diagnostic (4)
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

Urology
Drexel University COM

Vascular Surgery
University of Texas

PHILADELPHIA COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE
2019 Residency List – Georgia Campus
Anesthesiology (4)
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Medical College Wisconsin Affiliate Hospital
UCF COM/GME Consortium
UCONN Health

Dermatology
University Center of San Francisco

Emergency Medicine (9)
Coliseum Medical Center
Detroit Medical Center
Grand Strand Regional Medical Center
Medical College of Georgia
Oak Hill Hospital
Rowan Univeresity SOM
University of Illinois COM
University of Nevada Las Vegas
WellStar Kennestone Regional Medical Center

Family Medicine (26)
Atlanta Medical Center
Bluefield
CEME/Lakeside Medical Center
Cahaba Medical Care
Colquitt Regional Medical Center
Conemaugh Medical Center
Floyd Medical Center
Fort Wayne Medical Education Program
Gwinnett Medical Center
Heritage Valley Health System
Houston Healthcare
Medical Center of Columbus
Morehouse School of Medicine
South Baldwin Regional Medical Center
St. Vincent’s Medical Center
Texoma Medical Center
Unity Health
UPMC Altoona
UPMC McKessport

General Surgery (4)
Beaumont Hospital - Farmington Hills
Henry Ford Macomb Hospital

Internal Medicine (32)
Beaumont Hospital - Farmington Hills
Blake Medical Center
Brooklyn Hospital Center
Carilion Clinic
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Coliseum Medical Center
Franciscan Health Olympia Fields
Geisinger Health System
Gwinnett Medical Center
HCA Northside Hospital
Largo Medical Center
Merit Health Wesley
New York - Presbyterian
Palmetto General Hospital
Palmetto Health Richland (2)
Redmond Regional Medical Center (5)
Sovah Health
University at Buffalo SOM
University of FL COM
University of Florida COM-Shands Hospital
University Hospital
University of Tennessee Grad SOM
University of Texas Medical Branch
UPMC Pinnacle Lititz
WellStar Kennestone Regional Medical Center (2)

Internship (14)
Carepoint Health
College Medical Center
Detroit Medical Center
Garden City Hospital
Gwinnett Medical Center
Hackensack Meridian Medical Center (2)
Hackensack University Medical Center
Northwell Health
Orange Regional Medical Center
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (2)
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point

Military
Madigan Army Medical Center (Ft. Lewis)

Neurology (4)
Loma Linda University
LSU SOM
Medical College of Georgia
University of Tennessee COM

OBGYN (5)
Detroit Medical Center
Genesys Regional Medical Center
Kettering Medical Center