2019 Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PNWU 2019 match data:

Reactions: 1 user
CCOM Midwestern
Very weak match list out of CCOM this year. 6 people were unable to place into anything including SOAP and scramble. Several others had to settle for TRI or prelim spots. Very underwhelming. 1 ENT and 1 Uro were very lucky SOAP/scrambled into last minute. Source: good friend of mine is in this class.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Very weak match list out of CCOM this year. 6 people were unable to place into anything including SOAP and scramble. Several others had to settle for TRI or prelim spots. Very underwhelming. 1 ENT and 1 Uro were very lucky SOAP/scrambled into last minute. Source: good friend of mine is in this class.

so what do those people do? They can't even get a TRI? They don't become practicing physicians and have to find other career paths? I still don't get what happens to these people.

so what do those people do? They can't even get a TRI? They don't become practicing physicians and have to find other career paths? I still don't get what happens to these people.
I don't know their specific stories unfortunately, maybe some CCOM students can comment on that but I would assume take a research year and reapply, or I know my school can postpone your graduation by a year with a family leave of absence so you can reapply as an MS4, not sure if CCOM does this as well.

CCOM has been like this the last few years. Not worth even half the pricetag they rob students of

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
I don't know their specific stories unfortunately, maybe some CCOM students can comment on that but I would assume take a research year and reapply, or I know my school can postpone your graduation by a year with a family leave of absence so you can reapply as an MS4, not sure if CCOM does this as well.
No idea, considering that they have had “100% placement” over the last several years, this is uncharted territory.

They keep trying. They keep trying to scramble, find spots in network, find something to do in the meantime, etc. And they reapply. Doing a research year, OMT fellowships, MS, LOA, etc. and reapplying are options at some schools.

If they don't, then they look for another career.

As a current CCOM student this is pretty disheartening not going to lie...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
As a current CCOM student this is pretty disheartening not going to lie...
Keep working hard, study well for your exams, learn as much as you can in clerkships, and audition like a champ. You can compensate with a great work ethic and a team player attitude.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody have the final AZCOM match list? I feel like it should be out by now haha

DCOM match list. Only 5 went without any GME placement.

Attachments

• IMG_20190510_113541.jpg
    IMG_20190510_113541.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's great, but like someone earlier said: I don't think our school should have that many people SOAP/scramble or go unmatched with how much tuition we're paying and the "amazing" reputation they try to portray...

That's great, but like someone earlier said: I don't think our school should have that many people SOAP/scramble or go unmatched with how much tuition we're paying and the "amazing" reputation they try to portray...

The biggest myth among premed noobs. There's at least 8 schools that I would pick over CCOM with equal or better clinical education and are cheaper.

Reactions: 3 users
Quick question: I see a lot of programs have "Transitional Year" matches that are separate from TRIs and Prelims. Googling transitional year makes it seem like these are desirable spots but I'm a bit confused on how this works in terms of residency.

Can anyone elaborate?

Quick question: I see a lot of programs have "Transitional Year" matches that are separate from TRIs and Prelims. Googling transitional year makes it seem like these are desirable spots but I'm a bit confused on how this works in terms of residency.

Can anyone elaborate?
Rads, Derm, PM&R, Optho, and Anes all require a transitional/intern year. Some programs have categorical positions where the intern year is built into the program, while some programs are advanced and require an outside intern year. There’s also other pathways that I won’t get into.

Has RowanSOM posted their ‘19 match results??

Wow, imagine graduating with $400K+ in debt and nowhere to go for residency.

It has honestly gotten to a point where taking a gap year to re-apply might be financially wiser than attending CCOM or AZCOM. Their tuitions have become criminally high.

Wow, imagine graduating with $400K+ in debt and nowhere to go for residency.

It has honestly gotten to a point where taking a gap year to re-apply might be financially wiser than attending CCOM or AZCOM. Their tuitions have become criminally high.
At least AZCOM can point to a decent match list, CCOM can't even do that.

Can confirm, the CCOM urology match at SUNY buffalo was a last second scramble match. SUNY buffalo is notorious for being one of the worst urology programs in the nation. They had 3 openings and failed to fill....ALL 3 SPOTS this year! Not a good look.

DCOM match list. Only 5 went without any GME placement.

5 is too many. 1 is too many.... but I think it’s going to be the norm and most likely higher

It’s not “ONLY 5 went without any GME placement.”

5 is too many. 1 is too many.... but I think it’s going to be the norm and most likely higher

It’s not “ONLY 5 went without any GME placement.”

Obviously it should be none. I was going to put quotes around only, but yeah. More was saying that because I expected it to be higher but glad it wasn't.

Can confirm, the CCOM urology match at SUNY buffalo was a last second scramble match. SUNY buffalo is notorious for being one of the worst urology programs in the nation. They had 3 openings and failed to fill....ALL 3 SPOTS this year! Not a good look.
What makes them so bad and undesirable?

I’m also seeing zero I6 matches which has me concerned given my high interest in CT but also not surprised given its competitiveness.

I suppose for DO the path to CT will remain: GS —> CT

Last edited:
I’m all seeing zero I6 matches which has me concerned given my high interest in CT but also not surprised given its competitiveness.

Well, there's also quite a small applicant pool that would even be interested in pursuing that. It's not a common thing you'll find on match lists for any school.

I’m also seeing zero I6 matches which has me concerned given my high interest in CT but also not surprised given its competitiveness.

There are only like 30 something spots in the country.... a DO wanting I6 has to beat out applicants from top MD schools to get a spot. Even the MD match rate for I6 is extremely low. Any DO wanting CT should plan on doing GS->CT.

I knew some MDs/DOs applying to integrated CT this year and 3/3 of them matched their back-ups.

I think GS to CT remains the path unless you're an outstanding candidate out of medical school (top 20 school or AOA, 250 Step, multiple pubs, aways).

Obviously it should be none. I was going to put quotes around only, but yeah. More was saying that because I expected it to be higher but glad it wasn't.
Don’t worry my school hasn’t even released the match list. I’m guessing it’s not good is why

If you went to a DO a school to get I6 CT surg match, you’re going to have a bad time. I wonder even how many DO CT surgeons there are in the country

If you went to a DO a school to get I6 CT surg match, you’re going to have a bad time. I wonder even how many DO CT surgeons there are in the country
A decent amount of CT surgeons in general actually because CT was a fellowship that could even be had from an AOA program, but very few I6 trained. The last two years I don't think there have been any, although 3 years ago there were like 2-3 I6 matches or something like that.

A decent amount of CT surgeons in general actually because CT was a fellowship that could even be had from an AOA program, but very few I6 trained. The last two years I don't think there have been any, although 3 years ago there were like 2-3 I6 matches or something like that.
Agree with @AnatomyGrey12 if you want CT as a DO, you’re likely going to do it via GS it seems. UC Davis has a few but I would never bet my medical career on it right now. The traditional pathway is what has produced CT surgeons until the I6 emerged in the 2000s so I suppose it could be worse.

Last edited:
At least AZCOM can point to a decent match list, CCOM can't even do that.
What makes CCOM list not great? and also the students there have stats similar to MD schools with a majority taking Step, why are they not matching well?

What makes CCOM list not great? and also the students there have stats similar to MD schools with a majority taking Step, why are they not matching well?
Because it still matters they are not MDs so they won’t match as well as them. It is what it is.

Because it still matters they are not MDs so they won’t match as well as them. It is what it is.

My understanding is they also have a very old style curriculum and therefore underperform on boards compared to what you would expect with their entrance stats. I will say that as one of the oldest and most established schools, and with all their clinical resources available, they don't ever have as many competitive matches as the other established schools. And it's not just a "oh the class just didn't want competitive stuff this year" because it's literally every year. With the student body they accept there should be more competitive matches.

Also that list that was released on here isn't the full one, it only has 130ish spots

My understanding is they also have a very old style curriculum and therefore underperform on boards compared to what you would expect with their entrance stats. I will say that as one of the oldest and most established schools, and with all their clinical resources available, they don't ever have as many competitive matches as the other established schools. And it's not just a "oh the class just didn't want competitive stuff this year" because it's literally every year. With the student body they accept there should be more competitive matches.

Does curriculum make that much of an impact though? I've always heard that it was more on the individual student to do well on boards rather than the pre-clinical curriculum, as long as classes aren't mandatory. Full disclosure: I'm actually deciding between CCOM, RVU-SU, and KCOM right now pretty much on the basis of is it better to have a good curriculum or clinical resources :laugh:

Does curriculum make that much of an impact though? I've always heard that it was more on the individual student to do well on boards rather than the pre-clinical curriculum, as long as classes aren't mandatory. Full disclosure: I'm actually deciding between CCOM, RVU-SU, and KCOM right now pretty much on the basis of is it better to have a good curriculum or clinical resources :laugh:
While the idea that the locus of control is certainly internal with regards to board performance, absolutely do not ,under any circumstances, underestimate the magnitude that your school can disrupt your ability to succeed. Don't listen to people whose line of reasoning is "it wasn't so bad and *look* I turned out fine so it worked"

Curriculum can hurt you far more than it can help you. Like @Neopolymath said, don't underestimate a schools ability to fill your time with meaningless garbage. I've seen students on here talk about their schools basically not having a dedicated because the school fills that time with random mandatory OMM and clinical junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
Curriculum can hurt you far more than it can help you. Like @neopolyamth said, don't underestimate a schools ability to fill your time with meaningless garbage. I've seen students on here talk about their schools basically not having a dedicated because the school fills that time with random mandatory OMM and clinical junk.
This happens at KCU

While the idea that the locus of control is certainly internal with regards to board performance, absolutely do not ,under any circumstances, underestimate the magnitude that your school can disrupt your ability to succeed. Don't listen to people whose line of reasoning is "it wasn't so bad and *look* I turned out fine so it worked"
I see. Would you say that this disruption comes in the form of less dedicated time for boards/mandatory attendance to BS during the week, or from the actual instruction of material? From what I could tell, the only things mandatory at CCOM are labs and OMT, and then they have Fridays off. Also couldn't this be said about clinical rotations as well? I.e. "My school did nothing for me and most of my rotations were preceptorships that I set up on my own, but I matched well so who cares?"

This happens at KCU
the TTC class is annoying, but come on, it's only 3-4 hours a week. It's not like we have something every day. There is plenty of time even after TTC ends to still study for boards and have it completed by the mandated date.

RVU. They force their students to take step.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I'm not sure if anyone posted WVSOM, but I just went and checked to see if they had anything on their website yet. Haven't had a chance to really sift through it though.

RVU. They force their students to take step.
Yea, it sounds like a much better curriculum as well. I'm just nervous about the clinical sites since I'll be at the Utah campus and their inaugural class hasn't started rotations yet.

the TTC class is annoying, but come on, it's only 3-4 hours a week. It's not like we have something every day. There is plenty of time even after TTC ends to still study for boards and have it completed by the mandated date.
Some of us would be in another part of the country with friends and family studying for boards. Rent and other expenses have to be paid to continue to stay in KC, so it is not just 3 to 4 hours. Also, what was taught the first week that was not already known or talked about before. These labs have not been helpful. I think our faculty cares and wants us to succeed, it’s rushing this class through just because thats inappropriate. We have no idea what impact on boards this class will have and the cavalier attitude towards board preparation is concerning.

RVU >>> KCOM >>>>>>>>>>>>>> CCOM in my opinion.

KCOM has too much OMM (huge annoyance), and CCOM costs too much money.

This isn't close.

RVU >>> KCOM >>>>>>>>>>>>>> CCOM in my opinion.

KCOM has too much OMM (huge annoyance), and CCOM costs too much money.

This isn't close.
Really? I knew RVU is thought of highly on here, but I didn't realize the gap was that large. I dont know, it just seems like a risky decision to me to turn down two original 5 DO schools to go to the new branch campus of a school that was just acquired by the company that owns SGU. Would that fact that I would plan on living at home if I went to CCOM change anything since it would bring the difference over 4 years down to $50K?

TUNCOM doesn't look too bad this year. Could be one of their strongest matches ever (definitely making my school look bad). Any thoughts?

DisciplineProgramCityState
Internal MedicineUniversity of New Mexico SOMAlbuquerqueNM
Emergency MedicineBrandon Regional Hospital-FLBrandonFL
Emergency MedicineRowan University SOM- NJStratfordNJ
Internal MedicineOchsner Clinic Foundation-LANew OrleansLA
Obstetrics-Gynecology (Multiple)Sunrise Health GME Consortium-NVLas VegasNV
Family MedicineMountain Vista Medical CenterMesaAZ
Internal Medicine (Multiple)Valley Hospital Medical CenterLas VegasNV
Internal MedicineBingham Memorial HospitalBlackfootID
Obstetrics-GynecologyJohn Peter Smith Hosp-TXFort WorthTX
Psychiatry (Multiple)U Nevada Las Vegas SOMLas VegasNV
Anesthesiology/Clin Base YrU Washington Affil HospsSeattleWA
Family MedicineValley Health System-NVLas VegasNV
Obstetrics-GynecologyMcLaren Heaith Care Corp-MILansingMI
Surgical PrelimHarbor-UCLA Medical CenterLos AngelesCA
Internal Medicine (Multiple)Sunrise Health GME Consortium-NVLas VegasNV
Family MedicineSollus NorthwestGrandviewWA
Neurology (Multiple)Desert Regional Med Ctr-CAPalm SpringsCA
PediatricsUC San Francisco-Fresno-CAFresnoCA
PediatricsPalm Beach Consortium for GME-FLLOXAHATCHEEFL
Family MedicineTravis Air Force Base/Grant Medical HospitalFairfieldCA
Otolaryngology & Facial Plastic SurgeryDoctors HospitalColumbusOH
Emergency MedicineSAUSHEC/Brooke Army MC/Wilford Hall USAF MCSan AntonioTX
Family MedicineCommunity Mem Health Sys-CAVenturaCA
Family Medicine (Multiple)Valley Hospital Medical CenterLas VegasNV
Family MedicineFlorida Hosp-Orlando-FLOrlandoFL
Transitional (Multiple)Sunrise Health GME Consortium-NVLas VegasNV
Pediatrics (Multiple)Valley Childrens Healthcare-CAMaderaCA
Internal MedicineRiverside Community Hospital-CARiversideCA
General SurgeryDoctors Hospital-OhioHealthColumbusOH
Family Medicine (Mutliple)UC San Francisco-Fresno-CAFresnoCA
Emergency MedicineKendall Regional Med Ctr-FLMiamiFL
PsychiatrySt Elizabeths Med Ctr-MABostonMA
Internal MedicineProvidence Health-ORPortlandOR
Obstetrics-GynecologyU Illinois COM-Peoria OSFPeoriaIL
Emergency MedicineUniversity Hosps Osteo Consortium-OHWestlakeOH
Radiology-DiagnosticOchsner Clinic Foundation-LANew OrleansLA
PsychiatryMichigan St Univ CHM-East LansingEast LansingMI
TransitionalZucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell/Peconic Bay Medical CenterRiverheadNY
Internal MedicineOMNEE/Harnett Health SystemDunnNC
Family MedicineHilo Medical Center-HIHiloHI
Family MedicineYakima Valley Farm Workers ClinicYakimaWA
Emergency MedicinePalm Beach Consortium for GME-FLPort St LucieFL
General SurgeryPortsmouth Naval HospitalPortsmouthVA
Pediatrics (Multiple)U Nevada Las Vegas SOMLas VegasNV
Internal MedicineNaval HospitalSan DiegoCA
AnesthesiologyLoma Linda University-CALoma LindaCA
Emergency MedicineSunrise Health GME Consortium-NVLas VegasNV
Transitional/Mountain ViewSunrise Health GME Consortium-NVLas VegasNV
Internal MedicineCampbell University/Cape Fear Valley Health SystemFayettevilleNC
Family MedicineHinsdale Hospital-ILHinsdaleIL
TransitionalHealthONE-COLone TreeCO
Family MedicineIcahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NYMount SinaiNY
PediatricsUniversity Hosps-Columbia-MOColumbiaMO
PsychiatryPortsmouth Naval HospitalPortsmouthVA
Family MedicineAbrazo Health Network-AZPhoenixAZ
Orthopedic SurgeryValley Hospital Medical CenterLas VegasNV
PediatricsCook County Health and Hosps Sys-ILChicagoIL
Emergency MedicineDoctors Hospital-OhioHealthCOLUMBUSOH
Pediatrics (Multiple)U Southern CaliforniaLOS ANGELESCA
PathologyU Southern CaliforniaLOS ANGELESCA
Family MedicineUPMC AltoonaAltoonaPA
Internal MedicineMountain Vista Medical CenterMesaAZ
Family Med/BarabooU Wisconsin SOM and Public HealthMadisonWI
Family MedicineCommanche County Memorial HospitalLawtonOK
Family MedicineDignity Health Northridge Hosp Med Ctr-CANORTHRIDGECA
Emergency MedicineSUNY Upstate Med UniversitySYRACUSENY
Orthopedic SurgeryMcLaren MacombMount ClemensMI
PsychiatryLSU SOM-New Orleans-LANEW ORLEANSLA
PediatricsU Illinois COM-ChicagoCHICAGOIL
Internal MedicineUC Riverside SOM-CARIVERSIDECA
Family MedicineAdventist Health White Memorial-CALos AngelesCA
Family MedicinePCOM/Geisinger Health SystemWilkes BarrePA
Family MedicineMontana Family MedicineBillingsMT
Orthopedic SurgeryU Texas Med Branch-GalvestonGalvestonTX
Family MedicineTexoma Medical CenterDenisonTX
AnesthesiologyU Massachusetts Med SchoolWorcesterMA
Surgery-PrelimU Nevada Las Vegas SOMLas VegasNV
PediatricsPhoenix Childrens Hospital-AZPHOENIXAZ
Obstetrics-GynecologyMercy St Vincent Med Ctr-OHTOLEDOOH
Internal MedicineDesert Regional Med Ctr-CAPALM SPRINGSCA
Internal Medicine/NorthShoreUniv of Chicago Med Ctr-ILCHICAGOIL
Family MedicineUniv of Wyoming-CasperCASPERWY
Family MedicineKaiser Permanente-Fontana-CAFontanaCA
Internal MedicineTexas Institute for Graduate Medical Education and ResearchLaredoTX
Phys Medicine & RehabU Cincinnati Med Ctr-OHCINCINNATIOH
Phys Medicine & RehabU Texas HSC-San AntonioSAN ANTONIOTX
Surgery-PrelimUC San Francisco-East Bay-CAEast OaklandCA
Orthopedic SurgeryCommunity Memorial Health SystemVenturaCA
Orthopedic SurgeryValley Consortium for Medical EducationModestoCA
Family MedicineLECOMT/Conemaugh Memorial Medical CenterJohnstonPA
TransitionalGrand Strand Regional Medical CenterMyrtle BeachSC
AnesthesiologyLoyola Univ Med Ctr-ILMAYWOODIL
Family MedicineLoma Linda University-CALoma LindaCA
AnesthesiologySAUSHEC/Brooke Army MC/Wilford Hall USAF MCSan AntonioTX
Surgery-PreliminarySunrise Health GME Consortium-NVLas VegasNV
Emergency MedicineU Nevada Las Vegas SOMLas VegasNV
Family MedicineValley Consortium-CAModestoCA
General SurgerySunrise Health GME Consortium-NVLas VegasNV
Family MedicineNellis Federal Hospital USAF, Nellis Air Force BaseLas VegasNV
Family MedicineU Nevada Las Vegas SOMLas VegasNV
Internal MedicineLoma Linda University-CALoma LindaCA
PsychiatryU Texas at Austin Dell Medical SchoolAUSTINTX
Family Medicine/San AntonioTIGMER-TXSAN ANTONIOTX
Family MedicineO'Bieness Memorial HospitalAthensOH
Family MedicineKaiser Permanente-Orange Co-CASANTA ANACA
Family MedicineMartin Army Community HospitalFort BenningGA
It's not often you see a well formatted list like this with literally no organization. I'm not even mad