2019 Non-Trad Applicants Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
patiently waiting.... still nothing.... the suspense is killing me. I feel like everyone is getting interviews except me.....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You and me both. When your scores are borderline, you feel even more nervous.

AMCAS, those dirty little scoundrels finally fixed my BCPM gpa, so I released the Kraken on 8 more OOS MD schools last night and woke up to 4 secondaries, lol. Luckily I prewrote them ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, I found out last night that I was accepted to my early decision school for the class of '23. I completed my SMP through the affiliated graduate school. I worked hard for this, but my stars definitely aligned and luck was on my side. I wish everyone the best of luck! We can all do this.

Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone, I found out last night that I was accepted to my early decision school for the class of '23. I completed my SMP through the affiliated graduate school. I worked hard for this, but my stars definitely aligned and luck was on my side. I wish everyone the best of luck! We can all do this.
That's fantastic, great job!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats. It’s hard work. Don’t sell yourself short. You took a lot of great steps to get you there.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. ChiDr is right, don't sell yourself short, its all you! Congrats! I unliked your post just to like it again.

Congrats!!! That is awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi team, just got my first II - to Pitt! It's my second choice after USUHS (I want to stay military).

I'm 35, and took my prereqs at community college over the past year; keep your head up, the invites will come!

Congrats!

Pitt is a great school ... got my first II too Tulane .... also military i wonder how many of us are on SDN

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all the non-trads doing well and pounding the pavement this cycle. I've only been to one interview thus far but there was definitely a fair amount of non-trad applicants and current students in El Paso.

Reactions: 2 users
Non-trad checking in. Just got verified about a week ago and have been busy sending out those secondaries. Still waiting on a few more (UCs, you heard me). Hopefull those will come in soon (if they do haha). Good luck to all of us this cycle. We will become doctors soon!

what's your stats? I'm non-traditional and military but didn't do as well as I wanted on MCAT. . Hope I still have a shot at my state school!

what's your stats? I'm non-traditional and military but didn't do as well as I wanted on MCAT. . Hope I still have a shot at my state school!

What state are you in? Also apply to ETSU. They are super military friendly.

I have an overall amcas gpa of 3.43 with a sGPA of 3.61 and a 4.0 postbacc. My mcat is 519.

Louisiana. I will look at ETSU - they take out of state?

they pool military out, and consider all military as in-state, even if you have never stepped foot in TN (my case). I talked to them on the phone several times, and it is true. they even wave application fee (secondary) for military. So you have nothing to loose.

they pool military out, and consider all military as in-state, even if you have never stepped foot in TN (my case). I talked to them on the phone several times, and it is true. they even wave application fee (secondary) for military. So you have nothing to loose.
thank you. My MCAT isn't great but acceptable. I hope I get in this cycle. 6 years military, want to go into military medicine.

thank you. My MCAT isn't great but acceptable. I hope I get in this cycle. 6 years military, want to go into military medicine.
Did you apply to USUHS? Im sure Matthew9ThirtyFive can correct my stats, but they are obviously very military friendly. I believe Dr. Saguil said that usually about 30% of their incoming class has prior service and 30% of their applicants definitely don't so the numbers are in our favor especially if you want military med.

Did you apply to USUHS? Im sure Matthew9ThirtyFive can correct my stats, but they are obviously very military friendly. I believe Dr. Saguil said that usually about 30% of their incoming class has prior service and 30% of their applicants definitely don't so the numbers are in our favor especially if you want military med.
Yes I did!

Another week gone by, still just the one II. I hope you guys are faring better!

I have only one as well, but it's my top school and I'm so stoked to even have this. If I get in I'll withdraw other apps.

Also,
Question! What is an ITA?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

ITA= in the area. some schools if they had plan on sending you a II and you send them a notice you will be in the area they can bump up or II date or let you know that you got an II. it helps out. i am in alaska right now, so any II i attend will be pretty expensive flying back and forth to the same city

Louisiana. I will look at ETSU - they take out of state?

As said, they consider all military and vets to be IS and waive the secondary fee. All you have to do is either have it marked on your amcas if you’re active duty or email them a copy of your DD-214 if you’re a vet.

6 years here too. Definitely apply to USUHS. What’s your MCAT like?

Yeah it’s around 30%, but only about half of that is prior enlisted. Being prior service won’t make up for a poor application, but it certainly helps a lot.

Keep the faith. It’s still early. I have 3 so far, but my last one I got by sending in an ITA notification. So they can definitely help.

Fellow Nontrad applicant here. Congratulations to everybody raking in those II's and thanks for giving the rest of us hope!!

I've heard nothing but radio silence up to this point. Middle-of-the-pack applicant who keeps clicking "refresh" hoping for an invite! To be fair, my LORs/secondaries weren't submitted until early last week. For those who've received II's, mind giving me a sense of when your files were fully complete?

Not sure if I need to desperately add more schools, consider going back to my old career, tear my hair out, or a combination of the three!! :)

Fellow Nontrad applicant here. Congratulations to everybody raking in those II's and thanks for giving the rest of us hope!!

I've heard nothing but radio silence up to this point. Middle-of-the-pack applicant who keeps clicking "refresh" hoping for an invite! To be fair, my LORs/secondaries weren't submitted until early last week. For those who've received II's, mind giving me a sense of when your files were fully complete?

Not sure if I need to desperately add more schools, consider going back to my old career, tear my hair out, or a combination of the three!! :)
I just got my first II a few days ago and I've been complete since late june-late July depending on the school. Mostly silence though as well. It's a long process, and I know it's easier said than done, but have patience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

i think all the advise with those waiting for II is to be patient. trust me i understand i check my emails several times a day. also a USUHS applicant and finally got my final letter of recommendation in last week, so hope to hear from them sometime next month for a II. currently active duty still

i think all the advise with those waiting for II is to be patient. trust me i understand i check my emails several times a day. also a USUHS applicant and finally got my final letter of recommendation in last week, so hope to hear from them sometime next month for a II. currently active duty still

Is your LOA in? They only interview on Thursdays this cycle and have pretty much filled up September so don’t be surprised if it takes a few weeks for you to hear something from them.

at AFPC right now. outside of the enlisted to medical degree program, i have found most places don't know what an LOA entails. so a lot of calling, re-calling, send up chain of command for them to send back down, to send up again. i have spent more time and hours on my LOA than my primary application and secondary application sadly

Thanks guys. I know it's a matter of being patient but sometimes you just need to hear it from somebody else who's going through the process. I appreciate it!!

at AFPC right now. outside of the enlisted to medical degree program, i have found most places don't know what an LOA entails. so a lot of calling, re-calling, send up chain of command for them to send back down, to send up again. i have spent more time and hours on my LOA than my primary application and secondary application sadly

That’s annoying. Sorry. I’m not sure if they’ll slot you an interview without your LOA. Have you emailed your admissions counselor about it? My letter was literally like 3 sentences. Fortunately, I’m in the EMDP2, so everyone knows what that stuff is and takes care of it for us.

the website says they will consider you for an II without the LOA being complete but wont' consider your application for acceptance withouth it, but i am not sure if that is true if they want that LOA before even sending out a II

like anything its a waiting game ... even with my LOA ... i got one II so far ... hoping for a few more ... USUHS is a top choice, but i am looking at other options too ... i honestly would love to go to the Mayo Clinic SOM