2019 Non-Trad Applicants Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!!! That is awesome to have two II so early! I am hoping to be in your shoes soon!
Thank You!

That MCAT of yours is way bae, I'd start clearing out your inbox, cause once one II comes in, I bet they'll start multiplying like rabbits.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Checking in.....aka putting off writing secondaries! I'm over the half-way mark of secondaries submitted and closing in on 2/3. I'm beginning to feel like there's a light at the end of this tunnel!

But is it just me, or does anyone else getting really annoyed at the amount of spam email they get right now because everytime an email comes in there's a slight hope it's either a secondary I'm waiting for or that illusive II?????? Must stop checking emails....

Reactions: 2 users
Checking in.....aka putting off writing secondaries! I'm over the half-way mark of secondaries submitted and closing in on 2/3. I'm beginning to feel like there's a light at the end of this tunnel!

But is it just me, or does anyone else getting really annoyed at the amount of spam email they get right now because everytime an email comes in there's a slight hope it's either a secondary I'm waiting for or that illusive II?????? Must stop checking emails....
Tell me about it, I've had to resort to unsubscribing from all non-medical school related emails. Jumping out of bed every Wednesday morning cause thats when Under Armour would send me their promos for the week got real old.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, checking in (and also avoiding more work).
I got back most of my secondaries, and whittled down the list from when I put in my primary. My original list was pretty wide, and I hadn't yet gotten my MCAT score or looked at the MSAR. Secondaries submitted for the six that I think fit. I'm thinking about doing two more, just need to bring myself to do the essays.

Now, if only I can get my last LoR in. I loved the professor but she is a bit of a procrastinator.

How is everyone feeling?

Hey all, checking in (and also avoiding more work).
I got back most of my secondaries, and whittled down the list from when I put in my primary. My original list was pretty wide, and I hadn't yet gotten my MCAT score or looked at the MSAR. Secondaries submitted for the six that I think fit. I'm thinking about doing two more, just need to bring myself to do the essays.

Now, if only I can get my last LoR in. I loved the professor but she is a bit of a procrastinator.

How is everyone feeling?

I just want one II so that I can join the party :D

Hey guys! I'm an underdog, married mom of 3. I've put in a boat load of apps in and have done 5 secondaries already, almost done with 6th :O. How many secondaries do people actually do?

Hey guys! I'm an underdog, married mom of 3. I've put in a boat load of apps in and have done 5 secondaries already, almost done with 6th :O. How many secondaries do people actually do?
I applied to 17 and am trying to get them done right now. SO MUCH WRITING! lol

I submitted my 17th last week. Still waiting on 1 more for sure. There are 2 other schools that have pretty strenuous screens, so not holding my breath for those.

The average is 17? That makes me want to rethink my strategy. I've only done 6 (with two more planned).
Yeah that's insane to me. I was like... oh wow maybe my 9 total isn't much. Are we sure 17 isn't the average primary apps?

Members don't see this ad :)
Median was 15 in 2017, and has increased by one each year since 2015.

https://www.aamc.org/download/485324/data/msq2017report.pdf#page=26

Edit: this is for matriculants, which I think is the important part.

Edit part 2: if you really want to be scared, the largest number of respondents filled out 25+ secondaries.
And I thought I was casting a wide net. Does that data account for AACOMAS schools too? That could up it even more. I was so drained from writing, I “misplaced” 2 secondaries, lol.

Per my earlier note... now I'm back down to 7. UNC is out, since they only accept prereqs that are less than 5 years old. I did undergrad in 2005. Back to the MSAR and my list for reevaluating schools...

Reactions: 1 users
The silence from Texas schools is making me consider broadening my net beyond the 15 or so OOS schools I'm applying to. I know it is still early but I'm regretting not pushing my MCAT back a couple of weeks. I feel like having a median MCAT tarnished my otherwise sterling application

The silence from Texas schools is making me consider broadening my net beyond the 15 or so OOS schools I'm applying to. I know it is still early but I'm regretting not pushing my MCAT back a couple of weeks. I feel like having a median MCAT tarnished my otherwise sterling application

I don't think having a median MCAT is hurting you, especially being a vet.

Really?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I don't think having a median MCAT is hurting you, especially being a vet.

I honestly didn't think it would that much either considering vet status and a 4.0. I had my PS gone over by several current medical students and two physicians who are both faculty at two different schools, so I don't think that it is hurting me. Its just me ranting and being impatient really.

Last edited:
I honestly didn't think it would that much either considering vet status and a 4.0. I had my PS gone over by several current medical students and two physicians who are both faculty at two different schools, so I don't think that it is hurting me. Its just me ranting and being impatient really.

The waiting game can be really unbearable, I would try not to sweat it too much though, with your vet status and stats, I think you're in a really good position. Theres no rhyme or reason as to why the adcoms do what they do or the order they do it in (at least from our point of view). I definitely understand how unnerving it can be watching the Texas threads light up, but just remember, its still only July, the applicants on SDN are a microcosm of the actual applicant pool, which I would venture to bet you're still probably amongst the cream of the crop. July invites are early, yes and are nice to have, but a lot of the II come in August, September and October. I've seen people interview the first week of November and get prematched on the 15th. I've seen people interview in July and get in off the wait list days before orientation. Don't let other people's successes make you nervous or even disappointed with the silence you're getting. Its way too early. Your time will come. Not that I would ever begin to know, but as a veteran, I'm sure this is a piece of cake compared to the things you're used to. Go outside and let the heat light your skin on fire for a few minutes, it'll take your mind off on this process. I do it a few times a day to remind myself there are worse things, like 100000 degree heat.

Reactions: 2 users
The waiting game can be really unbearable, I would try not to sweat it too much though, with your vet status and stats, I think you're in a really good position. Theres no rhyme or reason as to why the adcoms do what they do or the order they do it in (at least from our point of view). I definitely understand how unnerving it can be watching the Texas threads light up, but just remember, its still only July, the applicants on SDN are a microcosm of the actual applicant pool, which I would venture to bet you're still probably amongst the cream of the crop. July invites are early, yes and are nice to have, but a lot of the II come in August, September and October. I've seen people interview the first week of November and get prematched on the 15th. I've seen people interview in July and get in off the wait list days before orientation. Don't let other people's successes make you nervous or even disappointed with the silence you're getting. Its way too early. Your time will come. Not that I would ever begin to know, but as a veteran, I'm sure this is a piece of cake compared to the things you're used to. Go outside and let the heat light your skin on fire for a few minutes, it'll take your mind off on this process. I do it a few times a day to remind myself there are worse things, like 100000 degree heat.

Well said!

Thanks, I do realize it is still early. This does feel exactly like something we used to do all the time in the military: hurry up and wait, lol.

Thanks, I do realize it is still early. This does feel exactly like something we used to do all the time in the military: hurry up and wait, lol.
Right? It never ends. When you get out you just wait for VA stuff. Been there done that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I actually used the concept of "hurry up and wait" in one of my essays for USUHS! I used it to describe how I've spent the last 13 years talking to other soldiers and therefore understand the patient population.

I actually used the concept of "hurry up and wait" in one of my essays for USUHS! I used it to describe how I've spent the last 13 years talking to other soldiers and therefore understand the patient population.

I was literally about to make a post asking about the appropriateness of veteran status as an "adding to diversity" facet. I do believe that being a vet gives you insight into the patient population of veterans and current service members. I just wasn't sure if adcoms would see it that way.

OK, I am stressing out....
Army vet (Behavioral Health Technician), went to get my second BS in Biochemistry after getting out (senior year, here I come, - it is brutal in the chemistry department).
MCAT 511, GPA 3.65 (both, - weird, right?). Have research, learning assistant hours (3 semesters), a bit of volunteering, currently work in Addiction Treatment Facility, so I think my hours are pretty solid... (of course, there are better ones out there, but I think I have enough?)

was verified (primary) on JUNE 1st!!! (I know, it took only 24 hours), submitted all my secondaries the same day I received them. There is literally NOTHING I could have done better... and NOTHING SO FAR.... have "hold" in GW (but that's somewhat normal from what I understand.... So far nothing... has been 3 weeks since my first applications.. Nothing even from state schools (VA). Am I stressing out too early???? this is literally driving me crazy.

I was literally about to make a post asking about the appropriateness of veteran status as an "adding to diversity" facet. I do believe that being a vet gives you insight into the patient population of veterans and current service members. I just wasn't sure if adcoms would see it that way.
I used it in all my essays that asked what diversity or skills I would add.

As far as USUHS goes, Dr. Saguil said that being in the military is a good indicator that you know what the military population goes through lol.

OK, I am stressing out....
Army vet (Behavioral Health Technician), went to get my second BS in Biochemistry after getting out (senior year, here I come, - it is brutal in the chemistry department).
MCAT 511, GPA 3.65 (both, - weird, right?). Have research, learning assistant hours (3 semesters), a bit of volunteering, currently work in Addiction Treatment Facility, so I think my hours are pretty solid... (of course, there are better ones out there, but I think I have enough?)

was verified (primary) on JUNE 1st!!! (I know, it took only 24 hours), submitted all my secondaries the same day I received them. There is literally NOTHING I could have done better... and NOTHING SO FAR.... have "hold" in GW (but that's somewhat normal from what I understand.... So far nothing... has been 3 weeks since my first applications.. Nothing even from state schools (VA). Am I stressing out too early???? this is literally driving me crazy.
Dude. It is July 26. Chill. You are going to have a really rough time if you can't calm down and ride it out. This is a long process.

Dude. It is July 26. Chill. You are going to have a really rough time if you can't calm down and ride it out. This is a long process.
Thank you... I hear you ... honestly I can’t wait for my classes to start - at least physical chemistry will keep me busy :)))) hahaha

First MD II last night from UTMB. My travel schedule is starting to look busy :D

Congrats! looks like you already have 5 IIs?!?! that is awesome! I am still waiting. I have 5 more secondaries left to do so should be done this week.

Congrats! looks like you already have 5 IIs?!?! that is awesome! I am still waiting. I have 5 more secondaries left to do so should be done this week.

Keep grinding!

Not sure where I stand yet.
Primary submitted for DO and MD. DO was verified and accepted mid-July. MD still not verified after 3+ weeks.
MD is taking its sweet a** time verifying everything. I feel like I am on hold with Comcast.
DO - received 15 secondary apps. No II yet. Getting a bit worried.
MD - waiting and waiting and waiting.

Not sure where I stand yet.
Primary submitted for DO and MD. DO was verified and accepted mid-July. MD still not verified after 3+ weeks.
MD is taking its sweet a** time verifying everything. I feel like I am on hold with Comcast.
DO - received 15 secondary apps. No II yet. Getting a bit worried.
MD - waiting and waiting and waiting.

When did you submit amcas?