2019 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I just made an account to post— I was offered a position in Nashville, TN today! I believe I picked Tennessee as one of my preferences, since I currently live in Memphis. I got the call in the evening at about 5 CST. I was so surprised!!! I asked if I could take 24 hours since I was kind of flustered, even though I know I'll be accepting. She (an HR rep) told me to call her back directly and that I would receive the offer email through USAJOBS after doing so. All she basically knew was the location, program area, and salary, when I asked her the host site she wasn't sure.

I forgot to ask if she knew the official start date yet. If anyone knows, that would be great! They said September 30 in my interview, but weren't sure at that time.

If anyone else is placed in Nashville, I'd love to chat!

Hello! I just sent you a direct message (I think they're called "conversations" on here). I also received an offer for Nashville yesterday afternoon!

I've been a lurker for a while and just made my account. Thanks to everyone here for being so encouraging and friendly over the last few months!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I just received my call! I have been placed in Albuquerque, New Mexico working with Tribal Health. If any current or past PHAP’s are placed in Albuquerque please let me know!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! I got my call today from a number with a 770 area code. I was asked to accept the position on the spot and said yes. I will be working in Community Health in Pendleton, Oregon. If anyone else is headed to Oregon or Washington let me know! :) Good luck to everyone still waiting for their phone calls!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of? The lady I spoke to wasn't really sure about those details. She said there was something in my file about working with a branch of the CDC called CSTLTS (Center for State, Tribal, Local, and Territorial Support) . . . but as far as I can tell with Google searching, CDC doesn't actually have a branch office in Hartford?

So, basically, I have no idea and will probably just have to wait for the e-mail to find out.

Hi there! 2018 PHAP here. I was also confused about this when I got my offer. CSTLTS is simply the branch of the CDC that PHAP is housed in. You will get details on your host site a little further down the road. I got mine about 3 weeks after accepting my offer, but I think that’s also right around when they had finalized all of the offers. Just hold tight - patience is key, as I’m sure you’ve all already realized in the process!

Hi everyone, I got my call this afternoon. I will be placed in Pensacola, FL!!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi there! 2018 PHAP here. I was also confused about this when I got my offer. CSTLTS is simply the branch of the CDC that PHAP is housed in. You will get details on your host site a little further down the road. I got mine about 3 weeks after accepting my offer, but I think that’s also right around when they had finalized all of the offers. Just hold tight - patience is key, as I’m sure you’ve all already realized in the process!

Oh, okay. That makes sense. I got the feeling that the person I talked to on the phone really didn't have any information about the program itself, and that she just was told to get a yes-or-no answer from us but wasn't really told anything else about our specific placements.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! Congrats to anyone with an offer. I’m wondering if anyone knows what happens with applicants that can’t be reached by phone. I currently live outside the country and move back next month but don’t have a US based number. Do they just email or assume you can’t be reached?

Hello! Congrats to anyone with an offer. I’m wondering if anyone knows what happens with applicants that can’t be reached by phone. I currently live outside the country and move back next month but don’t have a US based number. Do they just email or assume you can’t be reached?
Inform them that you are outside of the country, give them the non US number to reach you, and tell them when you'll be back.
If I'm not mistaken, they are still making decisions and that gives them ample time to reach out to you.

Hi, everyone! Just wanted to give an update.... I recently got the call. I will be placed in Jackson, MS. If anyone has been placed there for the 2019 cohort or has been placed there in the past, please let me know! Congratulations to everyone who has received the call thus far, and positive vibes to everyone still waiting!!!
I know the 2018 PHAP that's currently placed in Jackson. I'm going to PM you.

Congrats again to all those who've gotten calls!! Just curious: when did you guys schedule your skype interviews? I was on the last day. Trying to figure out if maybe that's why I haven't gotten a call yet.

FYI, I called HR yesterday and they said that they had to manually redo decisions because of a glitch in the system. She said: "it's pretty horrible. They have to go back and manually contact/evaluate each person all over again. No answer is a good answer."

Congrats again to all those who've gotten calls!! Just curious: when did you guys schedule your skype interviews? I was on the last day. Trying to figure out if maybe that's why I haven't gotten a call yet.

FYI, I called HR yesterday and they said that they had to manually redo decisions because of a glitch in the system. She said: "it's pretty horrible. They have to go back and manually contact/evaluate each person all over again. No answer is a good answer."

Hmmmm unfortunate.

Good morning, does anyone know Keigan Ross? He/She is a PHAP fellow for 2018-2020 and is currently working in Montgomery,AL. I was trying to reach out to them.

Good morning, does anyone know Keigan Ross? He/She is a PHAP fellow for 2018-2020 and is currently working in Montgomery,AL. I was trying to reach out to them.
She’s no longer with PHAP. But I can reach out to her and see if she’d be willing to talk to you about her experiences while in the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Inform them that you are outside of the country, give them the non US number to reach you, and tell them when you'll be back.
If I'm not mistaken, they are still making decisions and that gives them ample time to reach out to you.
Thanks! I just received an email from them and will be working in DC!!

Hi everyone! First time poster here. I received a call yesterday that I will be placed in Raleigh, NC working in HIV/AIDS. Super excited as I’m a native North Carolinian. Congrats to everyone who got their offers and good luck to everyone still waiting!

She’s no longer with PHAP. But I can reach out to her and see if she’d be willing to talk to you about her experiences while in the program?
Oh ok thanks! I would appreciate that connection. I was looking on the CDC PHAP website, but I guess that isn't up-to-date.

For those who received their calls earlier in the month, how long did it take you to receive the email after the call? Unfortunately the excitement has erased my memory of what the HR rep said to me on the phone

Reactions: 5 users
I just got the call as well. I was placed in Portland, Oregon. I haven't accepted yet as I have a few things to consider first. Is anyone else having to take a spouse and a child into consideration before accepting the position? It's a bit overwhelming with such a short time frame to decide!

Hey guys! Just got my placement offer this morning. It is in Show Low, Arizona in child and maternal health. Trying to do some research on the place, living, etc. but I was wondering if by chance anyone else has been placed here or knows anyone there I could talk to! Congrats to everyone else!

There is an associate in Show Low. I’ll let him know you have been placed there too.

Hi all!
I’m new to this forum and have received an offer working with maternal and infant health in Charlottesville VA. Was anyone else placed there?
ALso, I did receive the call but not an email yet has everyone else received an email with all information?

-Current/past PHAP associates did you have any groups with people that were in the program placed in your area that you were able to connect with (might need to find a roommate)

Thanks
Arianna
Congrats on your placement! I'm just commenting on your post to say "hey!" and that we have the same name! LOL I wonder how you pronounce yours! Anyway, hope to meet you soon!

Hi, everyone! Just wanted to give an update.... I recently got the call. I will be placed in Jackson, MS. If anyone has been placed there for the 2019 cohort or has been placed there in the past, please let me know! Congratulations to everyone who has received the call thus far, and positive vibes to everyone still waiting!!!
Hey I live in Jackson! I will be happy to help you out. I'll message you.

I just got the call as well. I was placed in Portland, Oregon. I haven't accepted yet as I have a few things to consider first. Is anyone else having to take a spouse and a child into consideration before accepting the position? It's a bit overwhelming with such a short time frame to decide!

I can't comment on what it's like to be in this program with a spouse and child, but I CAN tell you that I went to college in Portland, and it's a wonderful city. Lots of interesting things to do, great schools, and lots of nice neighborhoods to live in. Great public transportation system. And the Pacific Northwest is one of the most gorgeous regions of the entire country. You will have forests, canyons, rivers, and even a mountain (Mt. Hood) all within less than an hour's drive from the center of the city, so lots of stuff for you kid to do in the great outdoors. And you seriously can not beat the Pacific Northwest coffee shop culture.

Hi.
I PM'ed you.

Hi everyone! First time poster over here. I received my call today that I will be placed in Providence, Rhode Island in Waterborne Diseases. Are there any current/past PHAP associates that I could reach out to? I am incredibly grateful for the acceptance but I am also a little overwhelmed with certain factors I have to take into consideration. I would appreciate any help!

Congrats to those who have received offers and good luck to those still waiting!

Hi all! Just wanted to share and connect! This forum was my saving grace during the application process and I finally made a profile. I just got my call yesterday and my placement is in Baltimore, MD! Congrats to everyone else!!

My spouse and my 13 year old relocated with me to Phoenix, AZ. We weighed the options for cost of living, and the strain of living apart for two years. It was better for us to go together.

Other PHAP’s have moved for their assignments, and their families have stayed. They travel to visit regularly if they are able.

As federal employees (with a CDC email), you will have access to some assistance programs which include options for childcare. You’ll also have an employee assistance program to help find services. There are benefits for your daily commute as well.

Hi everyone! Congratulations on everyone who has heard back so far. I just wanted to say that I got the call yesterday and I’ve been placed in Philadelphia, PA in Vaccines and Preventable Diseases. If anyone else has been placed there or knows of other PHAPers there, I would really appreciate any contacts! I really wish everyone still waiting best of luck!!

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone! I got the call Tuesday afternoon but was working at a camp and didn't have service so I didn't see it. They kindly followed up with an email Wednesday morning for which I am super grateful! I was placed in Albuquerque, NM doing STD Prevention! Didn't get any more details than that but when I requested more info after accepting they said I will be getting details in next two weeks. If anyone knows of any current/past Albuquerque placements please let me know!
I'll be DM-ing @_just_smile_20 about our placement in Albuquerque as well as @ailantin because I am also from Jackson, MS!
Really excited and big congrats to all who've received placements & good vibes to all still waiting on calls/emails!!

Hello everyone! I received a call earlier this week stating that I will be placed in Indianapolis, IN doing Nutrition/Physical Activity. If anyone has been placed there for the 2019 cohort or has been placed there in the past, please let me know or message me! Also, if anyone is from the area, message me as well!

Congrats to everyone who has received the call thus far, and good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Hi everyone!! I just got the call earlier that Ill be going to San Juan, Puerto Rico for Victor Borne Diseases! I literally was dying checking my email and this forum every day. Congratulations to everyone!!! I'm so excited to begin this journey with you guys!!!

Is there any current PHAP's in located in PR ? Or who have been placed there in the past ? I'd love to connect to you guys!

Hi everyone!! I just got the call earlier that Ill be going to San Juan, Puerto Rico for Victor Borne Diseases! I literally was dying checking my email and this forum every day. Congratulations to everyone!!! I'm so excited to begin this journey with you guys!!!

Is there any current PHAP's in located in PR ? Or who have been placed there in the past ? I'd love to connect to you guys!
Hey there! 2018 PHAP in Puerto Rico! I’ll DM you.

Hi everyone! I got the call Tuesday afternoon but was working at a camp and didn't have service so I didn't see it. They kindly followed up with an email Wednesday morning for which I am super grateful! I was placed in Albuquerque, NM doing STD Prevention! Didn't get any more details than that but when I requested more info after accepting they said I will be getting details in next two weeks. If anyone knows of any current/past Albuquerque placements please let me know!
I'll be DM-ing @_just_smile_20 about our placement in Albuquerque as well as @ailantin because I am also from Jackson, MS!
Really excited and big congrats to all who've received placements & good vibes to all still waiting on calls/emails!!
FYI: A 2019 PHAP cohort facebook was created! :)

Edit: Click here for link!
i just requested to be added
Thank you

Good Afternoon & Happy Fabulous Friday Beautiful People!!!
Congratulations to those who have received their offers for 2019 CDC's PHAP! For those of you who are still waiting, hold on tight your blessing is coming in!
As a long time lurker, I received my offer last Friday and will be placed in Phoenix, Arizona. It's a long ways from the Sunshine state (Orlando/Tampa,FL), however I am extremely delighted and excited to have this opportunity. By chance would any PHAP'ers from 2017 or 2018 cohort know of the PHAP'ers currently in Phoenix, for me to reach out to for further advice/guidance? Getting my life together to make way for this move.lol

Good Afternoon & Happy Fabulous Friday Beautiful People!!!
Congratulations to those who have received their offers for 2019 CDC's PHAP! For those of you who are still waiting, hold on tight your blessing is coming in!
As a long time lurker, I received my offer last Friday and will be placed in Phoenix, Arizona. It's a long ways from the Sunshine state (Orlando/Tampa,FL), however I am extremely delighted and excited to have this opportunity. By chance would any PHAP'ers from 2017 or 2018 cohort know of the PHAP'ers currently in Phoenix, for me to reach out to for further advice/guidance? Getting my life together to make way for this move.lol

Congratulations! I'm so excited that you will be joining us in Phoenix! I'm assigned to the Maricopa County Department of Public Health. I lived in South Florida from 2004 - 2016. I'll send you a private message with my contact information.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, everyone! Congrats to everyone who got placed. I am originally from the boogie down Bronx, New York. I got placed in Long Island City, New York. I really wanted to be placed in Georgia but I still got to be grateful to got picked. Let me know if anyone has been placed in New York. :) BEST OF LUCK to everyone still waiting (you got this) !!!!!! :soexcited:

I was placed in Long Island City in the TB division! I just moved to a new apartment in Brooklyn with a direct line to DOHMH so I'm pretty happy my placement worked out this way haha.

I got the call Tuesday morning from an Atlanta area code. Still have not received an email with the official offer letter - I called earlier today to check in about it. Have others received an email with an official offer letter?

I was placed in Long Island City in the TB division! I just moved to a new apartment in Brooklyn with a direct line to DOHMH so I'm pretty happy my placement worked out this way haha.

I got the call Tuesday morning from an Atlanta area code. Still have not received an email with the official offer letter - I called earlier today to check in about it. Have others received an email with an official offer letter?
Same boat. I also got my call on Tuesday but no email yet.

Congratulations! And, I also got the call on Tuesday, but I’m still waiting for the official email.

Hi everyone!
I got the call last Tuesday and will be working in Phoenix in Quality Improvement (still waiting on the email though). I’m super excited! I’m from Jacksonville, Florida and this is the first time I’m going to be living outside of Florida, so if anyone has any advice please send it my way. I can’t wait to meet all of you at our cohort orientation.

Best of luck to all of y’all still waiting, don’t lose hope, this is just a test of y’alls fortitude!

Reactions: 7 users

I haven’t received my email or offer letter yet. Just the phone call

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Friends,

I got the call about 2 weeks ago, I will be in Los Angeles, CA., conducting TB Surveillance!!!! I am beyond excited, but like many of you - I have not received an official email yet.

Ryan

I am also in SA!

Hi friends - I'm PHAP Cohort 2019 as well, but will be out of Los Angeles, CA. doing TB Surveillance. I noticed that two of you are going to San Antonio, Texas. Long story, but that is where my husband and I call headquarters for the moment - I'm in Atlanta, GA. now on a CDC Graduate Student Summer Internship, when this ends, then I join PHAP. Let me know if you either of you have any questions about San Antonio. - Ryan

I don't know what this says about me, but. . .

I read carefully all of the previous testimony from former and current PHAPers about how one needs to be patient through this whole process. And I've tried to take it to heart. I think I did an okay job keeping patient waiting for the notice that I got an interview. Then I kept pretty patient waiting for the phone call that I had been accepted and placed somewhere.

But now? I just can't seem to keep patient waiting for that damn e-mail. :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Hi friends - I'm PHAP Cohort 2019 as well, but will be out of Los Angeles, CA. doing TB Surveillance. I noticed that two of you are going to San Antonio, Texas. Long story, but that is where my husband and I call headquarters for the moment - I'm in Atlanta, GA. now on a CDC Graduate Student Summer Internship, when this ends, then I join PHAP. Let me know if you either of you have any questions about San Antonio. - Ryan
Hi Ryan,
I have a few questions:
Do you think ones own car is a must in SA?
On average how much is the rent for a studio or small apartment ?
Thank you very much in advance

Hi Ryan,
I have a few questions:
Do you think ones own car is a must in SA?
On average how much is the rent for a studio or small apartment ?
Thank you very much in advance

Hi OsLeon,

1) S.A.’s public transit system had undergone some pretty mighty changes, and is relatively nice now. However, most San Antonians use personal transport - the population, in general, that uses the public transit system is of unsavory variety. In short, yes, but also not a deal breaker.

2) Loft/Studio in a safe area will run you roughly 1K p/month, could be more. Look for roommates or people advertising their pool houses/historic carriage houses for rent. The latter will get in you in a fancy and safe neighborhood will chill landlords.