2019 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi OsLeon,

1) S.A.’s public transit system had undergone some pretty mighty changes, and is relatively nice now. However, most San Antonians use personal transport - the population, in general, that uses the public transit system is of unsavory variety. In short, yes, but also not a deal breaker.

2) Loft/Studio in a safe area will run you roughly 1K p/month, could be more. Look for roommates or people advertising their pool houses/historic carriage houses for rent. The latter will get in you in a fancy and safe neighborhood will chill landlords.
Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

I lived in SA for seven years. A car is definitely necessary. Public transport is really inefficient and when I lived there a little sketchy. I lived in the medical center, which is safe and central to everything and paid around $1k for a one bedroom in a gated complex with a gym, pool and covered parking spot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All!

Long time lurker and I just got the tentative offer email (which I plan on accepting) and I've been placed in Show Low, AZ working with the Center for State, Tribal, Local, and Territorial Support in Maternal and Infant Health! I didn't receive a call at all. I believe I saw someone else post in here that they were also placed in Show Low?

I'm beyond excited!

Reactions: 5 users
Just received my placement in Indianapolis, IN with a focus in Immunizations. I also only received an email with the offer which I plan on accepting. If anyone is also located here pls reach out!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello all!

Long time lurker since the whole process started this year! I did not get a call, but an email that I got accepted! (still in shock as I type this)
I got placed in Kalispell, MT in Community Health Improvement.

Has anyone been placed here or know of a past PHAP that was placed here?

I'm so nervous about taking it because I know nothing about MT or living there, but I'm still so excited.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone!! Has anyone received a phone call with their offer, but still waiting on the official email?

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone!! Has anyone received a phone call with their offer, but still waiting on the official email?
Yes, I’m waiting for email - just got a call about 2/3 weeks ago.

Reactions: 1 users
I lived in SA for seven years. A car is definitely necessary. Public transport is really inefficient and when I lived there a little sketchy. I lived in the medical center, which is safe and central to everything and paid around $1k for a one bedroom in a gated complex with a gym, pool and covered parking spot.
Hi Sareile,
Do you remember the name or address of the places you lived in?
Thank you

I was placed in Long Island City in the TB division! I just moved to a new apartment in Brooklyn with a direct line to DOHMH so I'm pretty happy my placement worked out this way haha.

I got the call Tuesday morning from an Atlanta area code. Still have not received an email with the official offer letter - I called earlier today to check in about it. Have others received an email with an official offer letter?

Feel free to DM me! I'm a 2018 PHAP in TB in Long Island City :)

I was placed in Long Island City in the TB division! I just moved to a new apartment in Brooklyn with a direct line to DOHMH so I'm pretty happy my placement worked out this way haha.

I got the call Tuesday morning from an Atlanta area code. Still have not received an email with the official offer letter - I called earlier today to check in about it. Have others received an email with an official offer letter?

Congrats! I'm a 2018 PHAP living in Brooklyn right now. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk/need help with anything!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all that have gotten the call, and be patient to those who haven't yet,
I just received my placement in Portland, OR in immunization!!! So excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I’ve been watching this forum since April and finally registered to post.

I got an email this week out of the blue that I was placed in Phoenix working on STD Prevention. They didn’t even give me 24 hours to accept which was wild but when I did accept, they said they would reach out with the official offer in 2 weeks.

Anyways I’m excited about it but also everyone keep waiting. I was dejected after coming here for three weeks seeing so many people get offers but I wasn’t rejected and the offer came out of nowhere. So if you haven’t been told no yet, then stay upbeat as it’s still gonna be a process

If anyone has any advice on affordable places to live in the Phoenix area, please let me know cause I’ll be on a tight budget with their pay and attempt to start paying down my loans. So happy to be a part of this great program!

Reactions: 8 users
I received the call last Tuesday. I'll be in Tampa, FL working with Hep B! If anyone will be in the same area please feel free to reach out!

Has anyone tried calling HR to gather more information about where exactly we’ll be working in our placement city? It’s been nearly two weeks since I got my offer call and I’m getting antsy. Has anyone whose gotten a offer via the phone received the promised email yet?

Has anyone tried calling HR to gather more information about where exactly we’ll be working in our placement city? It’s been nearly two weeks since I got my offer call and I’m getting antsy. Has anyone whose gotten a offer via the phone received the promised email yet?
I've been trying to be patient. It hasn't been exactly two weeks for me, but I am very anxious to know exactly where I will be working. I just want to map out a commute from where I will be staying as well as do some research or actually call the organization.

This might help some of ya'll.
I mean if the locations haven't change, the title of your positions are still the same, then there will be a possibility that you will be working there.
I'm sure/hope that a simple googling will give you an idea or the address even so you can be able to get a distance in case you started apt searching.
Praying to God that I get an offer soon.
CONGRATULATIONS again to those of you that got a call/email.

Hey! I was also placed in Nashville, working in immunizations. I’m looking into places to stay now and would love to connect with anyone coming because I know the area so well! Congrats

Just an FYI, they typically don’t give out your host site until you pass background checks/become “official.” When they do that they will also connect you to your host site supervisor. Most of the host sites aren’t notified until August-ish that they got a PHAP (they’ll have been told they were selected to possibly get one, but depending on various things sometimes they don’t actually get “matched” with a PHAP), so I think they hold off until then because they don’t want to tell you the host site before the host site themselves have been notified that you’ll be coming.

But I know it’s super annoying especially in big cities because you can’t really figure out where to move, so hopefully they changed it but that’s been the process in past years :) They also used to not give out the program area until you passed background, so hoping they’ll give you guys more info quickly.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi, everyone! Just wanted to give an update.... I recently got the call. I will be placed in Jackson, MS. If anyone has been placed there for the 2019 cohort or has been placed there in the past, please let me know! Congratulations to everyone who has received the call thus far, and positive vibes to everyone still waiting!!!
Im a 2017 PHAP and I'm from Jackson, MS. Let me know if you need anything!

Hi guys! I'm still in shock as I type this but I just received my tentative email offer! I'll be placed in Little Rock, Arkansas working on TB prevention! It was really discouraging seeing everyone receive their calls and trying to remain patient but to everyone still waiting don't give up hope! As soon as I was ready to give up and move on the email came.

I'm beyond excited but also nervous because I've never been to Arkansas before. If anyone has any tips, has also been placed in Arkansas, or if there are any current PHAP's who would like to offer some insight that would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
During the call, did anyone else only get the assigned county and not the city?

Hi everyone! Congratulations on your placements! I too am a 2018 PHAP placed in NYCDOHMH, TB! If anyone is moving to NYC and has any questions, please let me know!

There's at least two 2018 PHAP who split their time between multiple health department locations within a county. Maybe that could be your case too? I would confirm with your HR Rep though.

Hey! I got my placement call (in MN) a few weeks ago (June 11) and still haven't received an email yet. The excitement level has slowly been decreasing week by week.

Are others in this boat as well?

I have requested to join the FB group so I guess that's one way to see confirmation. Such a unique and weird hiring process!

Hey! They just told me that I was going to be placed in MN. I wasn't given the city or county but was able to gauge where I will be based on previous host sites in the past.

Hello guys! I'm literally freaking out as I type this because I almost lost hope but I just got my offer email today. I'll be in Richmond CA! Anyone else placed there?

Hello everyone! I just got news I will be placed in San Juan, Puerto Rico working
Vector Borne Diseases! I’m still in shock lol! Congratulations to everyone!

Anyone else placed in PR?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi! I’d love to connect with anyone who will be in or near Chicago.

Also, I’m from Miami- anyone with questions about Florida can feel free to reach out

Hey! I got my placement call (in MN) a few weeks ago (June 11) and still haven't received an email yet. The excitement level has slowly been decreasing week by week.

Are others in this boat as well?

I have requested to join the FB group so I guess that's one way to see confirmation. Such a unique and weird hiring process!

Yeah I’ve been anxious to get this email in order to find housing/figure out more deets before I tell people about my move. I’m considering emailing them today because it’s been well over two weeks... thoughts?

Hi all!
I’m new to this forum and have received an offer working with maternal and infant health in Charlottesville VA. Was anyone else placed there?
ALso, I did receive the call but not an email yet has everyone else received an email with all information?

-Current/past PHAP associates did you have any groups with people that were in the program placed in your area that you were able to connect with (might need to find a roommate)

Thanks
Arianna

Hey Arianna,

My name is Cindy Rosales and I’m a 2017 PHAP in Charlottesville, VA. I’m happy to share my experience with you and provide any advice on your transition if you accept the position. Feel free to add me on FB! :)

Finally got an official email this morning!

(Received a phone call 4 weeks ago today)

Reactions: 9 users
Good Afternoon Everyone, I’m a longtime lurker of this forum and about a week ago on 7/3/19 I received an email (no phone call) with a tentative job offer in the PHAP. I was super excited, nervous and unsure this whole entire time but the wait is finally over . I accepted the job on Sunday, they gave me 5 days to accept/decline. I discussed it with my family and felt it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.My placement is Bay,Oregon? and my work assignment is HIV. While I am not necessarily thrilled about going all the way to the west coast from Georgia or my work assignment, I am still excited, blessed and thankful for the opportunity to be one of the many few accepted into this program. Is there anybody that knows where Bay, Oregon is exactly, it doesn’t show up on the map, or others being placed in Oregon. Any former/current PHAPs in Oregon? I have tons of questions. Also if anybody has questions or are being placed in Georgia and has questions about the state feel free to ask. Thanks!!!

Good Afternoon Everyone, I’m a longtime lurker of this forum and about a week ago on 7/3/19 I received an email (no phone call) with a tentative job offer in the PHAP. I was super excited, nervous and unsure this whole entire time but the wait is finally over . I accepted the job on Sunday, they gave me 5 days to accept/decline. I discussed it with my family and felt it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.My placement is Bay,Oregon? and my work assignment is HIV. While I am not necessarily thrilled about going all the way to the west coast from Georgia or my work assignment, I am still excited, blessed and thankful for the opportunity to be one of the many few accepted into this program. Is there anybody that knows where Bay, Oregon is exactly, it doesn’t show up on the map, or others being placed in Oregon. Any former/current PHAPs in Oregon? I have tons of questions. Also if anybody has questions or are being placed in Georgia and has questions about the state feel free to ask. Thanks!!!

Perhaps they meant Bay City, Oregon? That's a coastal city almost due west of Portland in the Tillamook Bay.

Alternatively, there are also two cities that I can think of in Oregon that end in the word "bay": Coos Bay and Depoe Bay.

Perhaps they meant Bay City, Oregon? That's a coastal city almost due west of Portland in the Tillamook Bay.

Alternatively, there are also two cities that I can think of in Oregon that end in the word "bay": Coos Bay and Depoe Bay.
Ok! Thank you very much. Could be, in my email it only said Bay, OR.

Yes, got a call for acceptance beginning of June - no email yet. I also emailed HR, and they said they have my acceptance - nothing more.

Anyone else still waiting on an email?

Still waiting! Received my initial offer the first week of June (6/5)...hoping my second email comes soon.

Last edited:
Thank gosh other people are still waiting too. In the Facebook group, people are starting to get more information in a second email. (Just letting you know) Hopefully, we will be next!