Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone confirm this is true? I am starting to freak outRelax, most offer interviews on a rolling basis.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Can anyone confirm this is true? I am starting to freak outRelax, most offer interviews on a rolling basis.
check with MDACC today, they have sent out all invitations. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. 🙁
freak out as well. only thing I can do is to pray!!!
seems to be what several programs are doingUVA emailed saying they’re putting a hold on reviewing applications and will push their interviews later into the summer so they can avoid having to do Skype interviews.
I received a May 2 interview there. I’m curious if they will stay with in-person interviews for that date.If any of you are considering cancelling your interview at Rush at some point, please let me know before you cancel it, so that we can coordinate and take up your spot. I am wait listed for an interview there. Thanks in advance.
I received an actual invite, but before i could login to thalamus and schedule, all the spots are filled. That's weird. Now i'm wait listed on all three dates. Rush sent out one wave of invites on 10th of march; i assume that i got invite late just because i am an IMG. Anyways please let me know if you consider cancelling to take up some other date. It's first come first serve in thalamus. I have to keep refreshing thalamus to see if any spot has opened up.I received a May 2 interview there. I’m curious if they will stay with in-person interviews for that date.
I fell like fewer people are going to be canceling interviews this year since most programs are going to tele interview format and therefore we don't have to worry about buying another plane ticket. I wonder if this will reduce the number of second-wave interviews that would normally be sent out?Ok. Update. I just called the PC. She said they have sent invites to more people because they think many will cancel given the current condition. If the travel restrictions persist, they are looking to conduct interviews through Zoom or Webex.
To be honest with you, they’re probably more concerned with how they’re gonna put food on the table than to set up interview days. Pain procedures are elective, reimbursement has been decreasing for years, and even when COVID is completely over next year, during the resultant recession there will be low demand as well. Not to mention the GUARANTEED changes in health care which will result in further declines in reimbursement for Pain procedures. In other words, you should be a lot more worried about what Pain’s future holds than not having interview days.Given all the COVID stuff has it been quiet? Kind of getting worried now... or is it still too early?
You have until August 8th to submit rank lists, so interviews must be done by then. I suspect then that more interview schedules will come out in about 4-8 weeks. There are many academic centers where pain doctors are scrambling currently to figure out clinical operations. There's a few places with leadership changes.
I suspect there would be a release then of more requests for interviewing in late June/July, after things are more settled.
Bad time to go into Pain my friend...Tough times for everyone currently. I was just getting nervous because about not hearing much so far. Fingers crossed for all in this pandemic and application cycle.
Bad time to go into Pain my friend...
Hospitals desperately need anesthesiologists for airway management right now. Demand and salaries are higher than ever for general anesthesiologists. For Pain...at best the same crappy job market for Pain is still crappy. And will be crappier after the multi-year recession and health care changes that COVID triggers in 1-2 years. Good luck guys.
Have you seen this website called gaswork? Well, on this website, there are still general anesthesia positions open in large metropolitan areas, some of them still offering $425,000 base salaries with $50,000 sign-on bonuses. And no, these aren’t old listings that they forgot to delete after the world ended a couple weeks ago. I mean you can speculate all day and kid yourself, or look at the reality on the ground. The reality is that elective procedures, especially Pain, are cancelled, period. And a recession is coming. On the other hand, in general anesthesia, it’s money making time.a huge portion of general anesthesia jobs are to cover outpatient procedure areas. Practices have seen a significant drop in revenue because of elective case cancellations. That’s hurting their bottom line and partners are thinking twice before extending offers right now. Boomer attendings aren’t going to retire when they’ve lost 40% of their retirement funds in the market and that’ll have implications for a few years down the road. Like I said - this is a problem in all specialties.
If you think there’s a massive demand for General anesthesiologists right now you’re sorely mistake. Hospitals aren’t going to be hiring anesthesia attendings right now just because of an expected 2-3 week surge in intubation numbers. Lol. No one is hiring right now.
Hospitals desperately need anesthesiologists for airway management right now. Demand and salaries are higher than ever for general anesthesiologists. For Pain...at best the same crappy job market for Pain is still crappy. And will be crappier after the multi-year recession and health care changes that COVID triggers in 1-2 years. Let’s not kid ourselves. During recessions people lose their jobs and don’t have money to pay for elective crap like spinal cord stims. If you don’t believe me, just ask your attendings where they think Pain will be in 2 years. It’s one thing if you truly love Pain, And money isn’t everything but make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into. Especially if you have six figure med school debt. Good luck guys.
Have you seen this website called gaswork? Well, on this website, there are still general anesthesia positions open in large metropolitan areas, some of them still offering $425,000 base salaries with $50,000 sign-on bonuses. And no, these aren’t old listings that they forgot to delete after the world ended a couple weeks ago. I mean you can speculate all day and kid yourself, or look at the reality on the ground. The reality is that elective procedures, especially Pain, are cancelled, period. And a recession is coming. On the other hand, in general anesthesia, it’s money making time.
Anyone else feel like programs and applicants are going to go underfilled at high rates this year? Typically, even high end candidates can still only interview at 10-15 places based on their schedule/finances. Now, those folks can interview at 30 places if they wanted to. Programs that don't equally expand how many people they are interviewing will get left unmatched.
And then applicants that are used to getting second waves or second-tier program invites won't get them because they're all going to the high end applicant, leaving them unmatched as well.
Well it happens every year that programs waste time and interview clowns from out of state who will never move to where the interview is held. And that was before coronavirus and all the video interview crap. Can’t imagine too many people from outside NYC aka Corona City USA will be itching to move into NYC this July 1st. I guess we will see what happens July 2021Anyone else feel like programs and applicants are going to go underfilled at high rates this year? Typically, even high end candidates can still only interview at 10-15 places based on their schedule/finances. Now, those folks can interview at 30 places if they wanted to. Programs that don't equally expand how many people they are interviewing will get left unmatched.
And then applicants that are used to getting second waves or second-tier program invites won't get them because they're all going to the high end applicant, leaving them unmatched as well.
Me too 🙁Rejection - Stanford (4/3)
Don’t sweat it guys. You never know what’s going on in a given program, maybe they have a bunch of internal applicants and aren’t looking for people outside, etc.Me too 🙁
Me too 🙁
yeah, maybe if you did not get one you are being considered...How were y'all informed? An email?
Late December is plenty early enough.Hey all, I know that this fellowship follows the December cycle. Is it necessary to submit everything right on December 1, or can it be in late December because of pending LORs? Thanks
does anyone know if stanford sent out interview invites? or just rejections...?
Hey y’all,
I’m a bit late to the party here but thought I’d join in. Applying from EM so I know my odds aren’t great. I have good scores, good LOR, and did a Pain rotation. Unfortunately I don’t really have anyone to advise me in this process.
So far I have 2 interviews that I got in mid-March, nothing since then. I applied to 80 programs, and about 20 have sent out invites thus far. At what point should I start to worry? Seeing that I was 0/4 for invites sent out today isn’t giving me a great feeling...
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.