2020-2021 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Although it's been difficult hope that this season is treating everyone well. Just out of curiosity though how many people on this thread are either EM trained or Family Medicine trained?

Current fellow (EM trained). Interviewed at 16 places last year (18 invites). Saw 1 EM applicant on the interview trail, and know of 3 others. I know at least 3 EM matched (including myself) last year, 2 did not (I think 1 declined/dropped out of the match). I also saw 3 neurology applicants, 1 psych, and 1 rads. No FM.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a scramble or SOAP process if one were not to match?
"What Happens If I Do Not Match To A Position?


Applicants who learn at 12:00 p.m. eastern time on their Fellowship Match Day that they did not match to a program can access the List of Unfilled Programs in the R3® system. NRMP policy prohibits the sharing of proprietary Match data and information with individuals not authorized to receive it or from posting Match data and information to any website or non-NRMP-related matching service."

from What happens if I do not match to a position? - The Match, National Resident Matching Program
 
Don’t worry, you guys will all match. This year wasn’t particularly competitive from what I have heard. Maybe others have heard differently.
 
Hahahaha
Usually “unprecedented number of applicants” is a phrase seen most often in rejection emails
 
Hahahaha
Usually “unprecedented number of applicants” is a phrase seen most often in rejection emails
My home institution had 2-3 times more internal applicants compared to previous years, and my understanding is that it is the same at some other institutions. In any case, we should always plan for the worst and hope for the best.
 
My home institution had 2-3 times more internal applicants compared to previous years, and my understanding is that it is the same at some other institutions. In any case, we should always plan for the worst and hope for the best.
Interesting....I’m assuming your home institution is outside of New York
 
Could also be that people interviewed at more programs. I would have interviewed at 1/2 of the programs that I did if the interviews were in person. I found that I could use a bunch of my post call days for non-local interviews and definitely could not have done so if they were in person.
 
Current fellow (EM trained). Interviewed at 16 places last year (18 invites). Saw 1 EM applicant on the interview trail, and know of 3 others. I know at least 3 EM matched (including myself) last year, 2 did not (I think 1 declined/dropped out of the match). I also saw 3 neurology applicants, 1 psych, and 1 rads. No FM.

Thanks for your insight. Was just curious as I know pain is getting more competitive was wondering if the other specialties are finding out about how great pain really is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finished my interview process. Interviewed at a lot of top programs. Not taking in account location, and wanting to practice out in California post fellowship, any opinions on training at Cleveland Clinic or BIDMC. Which is the better long term career move? Thanks in advance
I interviewed at UCI. I liked their program actually. The only downside compared to the places you are mentioning is that they do <20 SCS cases/year, not certified for DRG and are slowly starting to do vertebral interspaces/SI joint fusion.
 
I can’t decide between UCSD, Vanderbilt

Nashville and San Diego are two very different cities. California and Tennessee are two VERY different states.

Where would you rather live and where do you want to practice afterwards?

The two programs will each have their strengths and weaknesses but they’re both strong programs and nitpicking the differences I think is a low-yield endeavor.

Choose the place where you feel you’ll be happiest.
 
Curious that Hopkin's new PD, while I'm sure brilliant, is only 1 year out of fellowship. Anybody heard what went down there?
There's a lot of flux on PDs lately on the east coast it seems. It would be odd to appoint someone just a year out of fellowship, but I imagine it's not a well reimbursed job and senior faculty may not want it. I imagine there are other times leadership may prefer a different or junior director who won't push back on things that effect fellows education. I've got no idea though what's going on at JHU.
 
Also NYU? anyone have insights into their program? Specifically verteflex, stim, and kypho number?
It’s in NYC, a city disproportionately affected economically by the exodus of residents and business shutdowns in Manhattan specifically, during a pandemic that will end in 2022. The procedure numbers are down and will be down for the foreseeable future, and this isn’t unique to NYU, it applies to all the NYC programs.
 
For the people here live in NYC or have very good firsthand knowledge of it: are things getting back to normal in NYC?

I’m in the south and i can say for us that procedural volume is pretty much back to normal or close to it.
 
For the people here live in NYC or have very good firsthand knowledge of it: are things getting back to normal in NYC?

I’m in the south and i can say for us that procedural volume is pretty much back to normal or close to it.
Nothing is back to normal in NYC. The city is less safe and procedure volumes are down, and are continuing to remain low because of the exodus of population from manhattan in particular. The vacancy rate for Manhattan apartments is 3 times what it was last year
 
And one other thing, for anyone who says otherwise about NYC, and how it’ll be “back” soon, just do yourself a favor and ask them one question. If they’re not gonna be honest with others, are they at least honest with themselves about the reality of the situation?
 
Who is saying this? Are you currently training in NYC?
Who said this? Jerry Seinfeld said NYC will be back. Thats the only “who” that I can think of off the top of my head at this moment. And then paparrazzi caught Seinfeld himself hiding his sorry ass out in the Hamptons. LOL. What a joke. And yes I’m a current fellow in NYC
 
Who said this? Jerry Seinfeld said NYC will be back. Thats the only “who” that I can think of off the top of my head at this moment. And then paparrazzi caught Seinfeld himself hiding his sorry ass out in the Hamptons. LOL. What a joke. And yes I’m a current fellow in NYC

Gotcha. Good luck man, I'm sure you'll still get what you need out of the year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I won’t, but it’s ok. Anesthesia job market still good around here

It’s seriously that bad that you don’t think you’ll get enough exposure to procedures/patients to be able to practice on your own??

Is it that bad at every program? Even the “interventionally heavy” programs ?
 
Last edited:
Thoughts on Brigham vs BID vs MGH?

BWH: most procedurally focused of all the Harvard programs.

BID: they interview a ton of people for their spots. Simopolous is a big Nevro guy so you’ll get good exposure to it but not sure how great the rest of their neuromod exposure is. They have another male faculty member that is pretty interventional but that’s about it. Lectures every single day seem like a drag.

MGH: research and academically heavy but the least procedural from my understand of all Harvard programs
 
It’s seriously that bad that you don’t think you’ll get enough exposure to procedures/patients to be able to practice on your own??

Is it that bad at every program? Even the “interventionally heavy” programs ?
Have you been to NYC recently?
 
Resident in NYC. Our pain program volume is 25-30 patients per attending on the clinic side daily, 12-20 injections/RFAs/etc per attending daily. Usually 2-3 attendings on each side daily.
 
I still want to follow up on Hopkins guys, any feedback about the program from a previous fellow or an applicant this year? What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses? Thanks
 
What program is this? Sounds like somewhere that is NOT manhattan or brooklyn. Lol
LMAO, nice try.

Not trying to "Catch" anyone, just trying to get clarification, especially since your view on NYC training seems to contradict others.
There is still a grain of truth to this. NYC still isnt 100%, but keep in mind that NYC has been through the first wave whereas the rest of the country is gonna be balls deep in it. Volume will decrease in the rest of the country this coming year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LMAO, nice try.


There is still a grain of truth to this. NYC still isnt 100%, but keep in mind that NYC has been through the first wave whereas the rest of the country is gonna be balls deep in it. Volume will decrease in the rest of the country this coming year.
Im serious though. I know for a fact that Pain in the Bronx at Montefiore wasn’t hit nearly as hard as Manhattan