2020-2021 Postdoc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-Site name: Dartmouth-Hitchcock/Geisel School of Medicine

-Track (if applicable): Neuropsychology

-Invite or rejection: Invite

-Date notified: 12/23

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): personalized email

-Interview date: many dates offered in January, via video. Also allowed to come in person if you want (but flights are pricey!)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
-Site name: Nationwide Children's Hospital
-Track: Primary Care
-Date notified: 12/27
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): email
-Interview date: Several offered throughout January
COPING: coffee and Netflix binges

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how many people sites tend to interview for how many positions? Wondering what are the chances of getting an offer once I get the interview. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
-Site name: Children’s Hospital of Orange County
-Track: Acute Mental Health services
-Invite or rejection: invite
-Date notified: 12/27
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): personal email
-Interview date: basically any week in January, with ability to ask for phone interview as well

-Site name: Geisinger Medical Center
-Track: Neuropsychology
-Date notified: 12/16
-Interview date: TBD, on-site interview in January
-Coping: Binge-watching the Simpsons on Disney+

Does anyone know how many people sites tend to interview for how many positions? Wondering what are the chances of getting an offer once I get the interview. Thanks!

It varies widely by site, so there’s no way to know for sure. Some sites won’t say how many postdoc positions they’re trying to fill, whereas some will clearly state it. If they’re trying to fill multiple slots, they may be doing more interviews. Sometimes you can make a rough estimate of the number of interviews by how much time or how many days they’ve set aside for interviews if they email you to schedule. A general range might be anywhere from 5-20 interviews for one slot, but it could be more or less depending on applicant pool. If you have a second interview (some sites may have a 2-stage interview process), the number is likely to be on the lower end for the follow-up, so chances are considerably higher for round two. As with internship, up to a point, the more interviews you have, the higher the chances of a site selecting you.

In addition to what @foreverbull said, you might look on APPIC and search using the combined Internship/Post doc search and search post doc's. Not all of them are listed but a good amount are, and you can see at the middle bottom how many apps they received vs. positions to give you a better idea of how many they might have interviewed from their pool.

The only site I applied to that listed how many people they invite in their brochure was the San Diego VA. They said they invite the top 3 applicants for each position, which seems really low to me.

The only site I applied to that listed how many people they invite in their brochure was the San Diego VA. They said they invite the top 3 applicants for each position, which seems really low to me.

It is, but the way I see it is it is good that they are not potentially wasting applicants’ time or money on interviewing a large number of individuals for one position. Like for internship, there is usually already a good idea of who will be hired before the interview. Interviews are usually just a screening process for red flags that may not be evident on paper.

Does anyone have an example of a postdoc letter they would be willing to share? We are the first cohort at my program and I was just hoping for some kind of format to follow. Or a place online with decent sample?

thank you

Has anyone had any issues with APPIC not receiving your transcripts? My deadlines are this upcoming week and I am getting nervous.

Does anyone have an example of a postdoc letter they would be willing to share? We are the first cohort at my program and I was just hoping for some kind of format to follow. Or a place online with decent sample?

thank you

I used my letter from internship with some minor edits. I’d suggest starting there.

For two of my interviews they said 3-4 candidates per slot.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
It is, but the way I see it is it is good that they are not potentially wasting applicants’ time or money on interviewing a large number of individuals for one position. Like for internship, there is usually already a good idea of who will be hired before the interview. Interviews are usually just a screening process for red flags that may not be evident on paper.

Oh, I completely agree! I am just surprised that they are able to fill all of their slots by interviewing only 3 people per slot. For example, I’m interviewing for 3 positions there. Hypothetically, if I am offered and accept one of the positions, that leaves only 2 applicants for the other 2 positions.

Last edited:
Oh, I completely agree! I am just surprised that they are able to fill all of their slots by interviewing only 3 people per slot. For example, I’m interviewing for 3 positions there. Hypothetically, if I am offered and accept one of the positions, that leaves only 2 applicants for the other 2 positions.

At my old site, we generally interviews 4-5 per slot, but usually got one of our top 3 candidates per position.

Reactions: 1 users
-Site name: Cambridge Health Alliance/ Harvard Medical
-Track: Neuropsychology
-Date notified: 12/20
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): mass email
-Interview date: Offered Jan 6 or 7

Cleveland Clinic, Neuropsychology, 12/19, personal email, interview dates; via Zoom!

*Please note that this is referring to the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health in the Las Vegas Cleveland Clinic. I don't believe Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland has offered any neuropsych interviews yet- their applications were just due on 12/21!

So for the other NeuroNerds out here (I see there are several of us), does anyone know which of the non-match sites are known for putting a lot of time pressure on their offers?

I've heard many stories from previous years in which applicants were given just 24 hours to accept or decline an offer, long before INS interviews occur. I came across a statement about this in the VA Boston materials, and I heard a similar story about Northwestern last year. I'm curious what other sites have a history of doing this? Or is this typically the case with all the non-match sites?

So for the other NeuroNerds out here (I see there are several of us), does anyone know which of the non-match sites are known for putting a lot of time pressure on their offers?

I've heard many stories from previous years in which applicants were given just 24 hours to accept or decline an offer, long before INS interviews occur. I came across a statement about this in the VA Boston materials, and I heard a similar story about Northwestern last year. I'm curious what other sites have a history of doing this? Or is this typically the case with all the non-match sites?

It seems to change every year. We've had interns who were forced to accept or reject an offer before getting off the phone with a site. More common is a non match site giving someone 24 hours to make a choice, but this usually occurs prior to INS even happening, not giving that person a chance to even interview with other sites.

Best advice if you are going to interview at both match and non-match sites, is to already have a plan for what you want to do if you are in a position to have to make a choice prior to INS. Or, you could just make it that much easier on yourself like I did, only apply to match sites :) No pressure, and made my boarding process that much easier.

-Site name: Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Childrens
-Track (if applicable): Pediatric
-Date notified: 1/2
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email
-Interview date: 1/24, 1/27, 1/31, 2/3, 2/7

It seems to change every year. We've had interns who were forced to accept or reject an offer before getting off the phone with a site. More common is a non match site giving someone 24 hours to make a choice, but this usually occurs prior to INS even happening, not giving that person a chance to even interview with other sites.

Best advice if you are going to interview at both match and non-match sites, is to already have a plan for what you want to do if you are in a position to have to make a choice prior to INS. Or, you could just make it that much easier on yourself like I did, only apply to match sites :) No pressure, and made my boarding process that much easier.

Hmm. Thank you for the insight! So I guess my next question is: were I to accept an offer from a non-match site prior to INS/other interviews, what is the protocol for bowing out of even interviewing? How do you let them know you are no longer interested/would no longer like to be considered without seeming like a time-wasting b-hole? Is this frowned upon? I think I remember hearing that this is a BIG NO-NO for the internship application phase but not sure about post doc.

Hmm. Thank you for the insight! So I guess my next question is: were I to accept an offer from a non-match site prior to INS/other interviews, what is the protocol for bowing out of even interviewing? How do you let them know you are no longer interested/would no longer like to be considered without seeming like a time-wasting b-hole? Is this frowned upon? I think I remember hearing that this is a BIG NO-NO for the internship application phase but not sure about post doc.

If you accept a non-match position prior to INS, just e-mail your contacts at your other postdoc interview sites and let them know. It's part of the game, we're all used to it. This process is different than internship.

That being said, I am NOT a fan of sites mandating a decision prior to INS interviews for neuro. It's bad for applicants. In my personal experience, my rankings changed considerably after interviews. A site that was in my middle portion became my overwhelming #1 choice, to which I matched with for postdoc. I likely would have matched to a poorer fit and training experience had I not had eh chance to interview with people from all of my sites.

-Site name: Children's Hospital of Richmond/Virginia Commonwealth University
-Track (if applicable): Hem/Onc
-Date notified: 1/2
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal email
-Interview dates:
· Friday January 10th
· Monday January 13th
· Thursday January 23rd
· Friday January 24th
· Monday January 27th
· Thursday January 30th
· Friday January 31st
· Monday February 3rd
· Thursday February 6th

I've heard many stories from previous years in which applicants were given just 24 hours to accept or decline an offer, long before INS interviews occur.

It is VERY unlikely that your non-match sites would allow you to hold an offer until INS interviews. My understanding at this point the current norm is approx 2-4 days to hold. Some programs say explicitly in their brochure, so you might skim that. You could kindly ask for a slightly longer period (an extra day or two). At that point you know the drill, contact your top site and ask for a reciprocal offer or what your standing is with them. It is a lot more like the a broader job market and a lot less like internship. Goodluck!

It is VERY unlikely that your non-match sites would allow you to hold an offer until INS interviews. My understanding at this point the current norm is approx 2-4 days to hold. Some programs say explicitly in their brochure, so you might skim that. You could kindly ask for a slightly longer period (an extra day or two). At that point you know the drill, contact your top site and ask for a reciprocal offer or what your standing is with them. It is a lot more like the a broader job market and a lot less like internship. Goodluck!

I'd say 1-2 days is more the norm. Many of these sites want postdoc stuff wrapped up before INS, or before another site poaches. If they have multiple positions and give every applicant 2-4 days to make a decision, everyone from their list will be gone if they don't get an acceptance from an applicant in the first few.

-Site name: Mount Washington Pediatric Hospital
-Track (if applicable): Autism Spectrum Center
-Date notified: 12/17
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal Email
-Interview date: Flexible

-Site name: Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism Program
-Track (if applicable): N/A
-Date notified: 1/3
-Interview date: 1/28 or 2/4

-Site name: Rowan University CARES
-Track (if applicable): Clinical only
-Invite or rejection: Invite (after phone screening)
-Interview date: 1/14 or 1/28.

My e-mail has been pretty dry, hearing lots of crickets over here. :dead: I guess it's a good time to dust off the old dissertation and get busy (aka binge Netflix).
homer.gif

Reactions: 10 users
-Site name: Brown University Consortium, Clinical Neuropsychology Specialty Program
-Track (if applicable): Providence VA Neuropsychology/Geropsychology Track
-Interview date: TBD, between 1/6 and 1/17

Site name: Barrow Neurological Institute
-Interview date: At INS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Western State Hospital sent out notifications today that applications are complete, and said we should hear about interviews by January 20th.

Site name: Johns Hopkins
-Track (if applicable): pediatric psychology
-Date notified: 1/5
-Interview date: 1/31

Boston VA health psych
Interview offer
Notified 1/6
Personal email
Interview dates 1/24, 1/27, 2/7

Site name: Washington DC VAMC
-Date notified: 1/6
-Interview date: 2/4 (at INS)

Site name: Boston Children's Hospital
-Track (if applicable): Pediatric Neuropsychology

James A Haley VA
Neuropsychology
Interview offer
Notified 1/6
Email
Asked to provide blocks of time for phone interviews between 1/8-1/24.

Site name: Maine VA
-Date notified: 1/7
-Interview date: offered to interview on site, at INS or via Skype. Dates TBD.

Site name: Kansas University Medical Center
-Track (if applicable): Developmental Peds
-Interview date: on site 2/7 or Skype

Site name: Children's Medical Center Dallas
-Track (if applicable): Peds Health Psych
-Interview date: Phone interview

Site name: Baylor -Texas Children's
-Track (if applicable): Peds Psych
-Invite or rejection: Rejection
-Interview date: Boo

Site name: University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center
-Track (if applicable): Forensics and Public Policy
-Date notified: 01-07
-Interview date: Initial Zoom interview 01-14

Lawd have mercy it was a busy day for people yesterday! I hope people continue to hear good news this week!

Site name: Nationwide Children's Hospital
-Date notified: 1/8

-Site name: Salem VA
-Invite or rejection: Rejection (womp womp)
-Date notified: 1/8
-Interview date: N/A

Since this process is different than internship, when do you all think it's appropriate to reach out to sites to see if you're still under consideration? I don't want to seem pushy, but I also need to finalize travel plans as I can only afford to fly across the country once. I submitted all of my applications very early (done by 12/20) and received a few confirmation emails that sites received my materials, but have not heard anything otherwise.

Since this process is different than internship, when do you all think it's appropriate to reach out to sites to see if you're still under consideration? I don't want to seem pushy, but I also need to finalize travel plans as I can only afford to fly across the country once. I submitted all of my applications very early (done by 12/20) and received a few confirmation emails that sites received my materials, but have not heard anything otherwise.
So I don't know what others have done, but Ill tell you what I did that seemed to help as I have a similar situation. I emailed all my sites a while ago asking each one if it wasn't already posted when they would be interviewing (the dates). This helped when I started to get interview offers because some sites interview dates conflicted with my top choices. I was also able to lump sites that were close during one trip which I wouldn't have known in advance. If you have limited funds it might be worth reaching out and prioritizing based on your personal rank list of sites.

Site name: Kennedy Krieger Institute
-Interview date: 2/4 at INS