2020 Cycle Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sun_flower580 said:
Ok it's 2020, I no longer think it's too early for a WL support thread. Currently I have had 3 interviews, waitlisted for 2 of them and it H U R T S. Still waiting to hear back about the 3rd interview, but this was my worst one yet so I'm not too hopeful that this one will end up any different

who else is agonizing too
OP, if you had 3 interviews by January 11th, I think you're in a good shape. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, if you had 3 interviews by January 11th, I think you're in a good shape. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry. :)
Thanks for the encouragement, I would hope so but reality is quickly kicking in. In full re-app mode rn but hoping to be pleasantly surprised

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s crazy that this happens! I am beyond grateful to have an acceptance but I am on 9 waitlists and have yet to get off one.
I was on 9 WL's beginning of May. Am lucky enough to have gotten of off two but still on 7 WLs lmfaooooo, this process is big whack

Reactions: 22 users
Question for those that have at least one acceptance and are waiting on other waitlists. Are you going ahead and putting down money for an apartment yet? If not how long are you planning on waiting to do it? I was originally giving myself till the end of the month before I put down a deposit and switch to full prep mode but now Idk if that’s too long to put it off... Any insight is welcome!

Reactions: 4 users
Question for those that have at least one acceptance and are waiting on other waitlists. Are you going ahead and putting down money for an apartment yet? If not how long are you planning on waiting to do it? I was originally giving myself till the end of the month before I put down a deposit and switch to full prep mode but now Idk if that’s too long to put it off... Any insight is welcome!

I think it depends a lot on the type of move, how far away it is, what the housing market is like in that location, etc.

For me I'm waiting until June 1st before I begin looking into places for the school I'm currently holding the A, but I don't think I'd begin committing to anything until ~July 1st. I feel I have a little more leeway as well since this school is in another city close to my own with a housing market I know well and I know I won't be screwed out of a cheaper apartment due to waiting until the last minute. I also know a lot of first-year students at this school who can definitely help with finding an apartment / the moving process.

Edit: My current A starts mid-August, and if I got into my WL school I wouldn't even need to move so that also plays a role here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

I have the same dilemma too. My school is supposed to start in mid-July (though who knows with the COVID situation) and I was thinking early June to sign a lease. There's been a lot of silence on SDN for the school that I'm WL for, so I'm hoping there's going to be more A's out by the end of May!

Reactions: 3 users

yea I think it depends on the housing market where your going and how comfortable you are with scrambling lol. I’m waiting until about a month out to sign somewhere but I’m moving to a major city, so I’m not too concerned about finding somewhere. I think the biggest thing will be trying to find a roommate under a time crunch which will be tough. I don’t want to commit to a place with someone if I’m not even sure I’m going to that school...

Members don't see this ad :)

Poll for people with an A, but waiting a bit

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Any thoughts on if schools would be accepting more or less WL spots this cycle? It seems to me that if I had 2 A's I might stay in my home state due to the pandemic. So maybe more state schools end up with more IS students this cycle than normal? Idk

Any thoughts on if schools would be accepting more or less WL spots this cycle? It seems to me that if I had 2 A's I might stay in my home state due to the pandemic. So maybe more state schools end up with more IS students this cycle than normal? Idk

I think more WL movement this year than last year, but likely similar to years prior to the new AAMC rules. I know of a few schools that are beyond last year’s numbers of WL acceptances already. Those schools are also both state schools. I don’t think the pandemic is having a noticeable effect on where people choose to matriculate. Most people think things will be back to normal next year, so why give up Colombia for Wayne State.

I think it depends a lot on the type of move, how far away it is, what the housing market is like in that location, etc.

For me I'm waiting until June 1st before I begin looking into places for the school I'm currently holding the A, but I don't think I'd begin committing to anything until ~July 1st. I feel I have a little more leeway as well since this school is in another city close to my own with a housing market I know well and I know I won't be screwed out of a cheaper apartment due to waiting until the last minute. I also know a lot of first-year students at this school who can definitely help with finding an apartment / the moving process.

Edit: My current A starts mid-August, and if I got into my WL school I wouldn't even need to move so that also plays a role here.
I think more WL movement this year than last year, but likely similar to years prior to the new AAMC rules. I know of a few schools that are beyond last year’s numbers of WL acceptances already. Those schools are also both state schools. I don’t think the pandemic is having a noticeable effect on where people choose to matriculate. Most people think things will be back to normal next year, so why give up Colombia for Wayne State.

Fair point, but there's one person in this same page debating this very idea. I'm less wondering if someone will choose Colombia v Wayne State than I am someone choosing Tulane v Wayne State

Hey, didnt know there was a waitlist support group lol. Was accepted to Kirksville and waitlisted at KCU, PNWU, WesternU, LECOM, and Midwestern AZ.

First choice is KCU and movement has already begun but haven't heard anything on my end. Already found an apartment complex that fits my needs, just need that acceptance. I'm waiting until June 15th to apartment hunt in Kirksville.

just got from a number in the area code of the school I'm WLed at, I picked up and it was an actual person! they asked "can I speak to [my name]?" and my heart started racing

...... it was a person from the census bureau

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 29 users
just got from a number in the area code of the school I'm WLed at, I picked up and it was an actual person! they asked "can I speak to [my name]?" and my heart started racing

...... but it was a person from the census bureau

I gave up on caring about phone calls from schools. I've noticed on a lot of threads that waitlist schools email you. So I've been refreshing my email nonstop lol

Hey, didnt know there was a waitlist support group lol. Was accepted to Kirksville and waitlisted at KCU, PNWU, WesternU, LECOM, and Midwestern AZ.

First choice is KCU and movement has already begun but haven't heard anything on my end. Already found an apartment complex that fits my needs, just need that acceptance. I'm waiting until June 15th to apartment hunt in Kirksville.
There’s also a DO school waitlist support thread!

Reactions: 1 user
I gave up on caring about phone calls from schools. I've noticed on a lot of threads that waitlist schools email you. So I've been refreshing my email nonstop lol
My top choice has started calling this year in addition to sending emails, so I now have my phone on me at all times!

Reactions: 6 users
View attachment 306857
Another unsuccessful day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

every M-F at 5pm, February-July, 2018-2020

1C56FFCA-DCD1-45FF-85BD-47FB9967C205.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 44 users
Trying to get in the reapplication mindset and I was wondering, is there a stigma against reapplicants? like do medical schools view that unfavorably? I had multiple interviews this cycle and in my head im kind of just like "why would they accept me next cycle if they didnt accept me this cycle"

Trying to get in the reapplication mindset and I was wondering, is there a stigma against reapplicants? like do medical schools view that unfavorably? I had multiple interviews this cycle and in my head im kind of just like "why would they accept me next cycle if they didnt accept me this cycle"

What have you improved (volunteer hours, clinical experience, research, interview skills, writing, etc)? If nothing changed, then schools will look at you and wonder why you did not do anything to improve your app over the course of a year. If you add significant improvements, they will see that you are working to address deficits and make yourself even more competitive, which they like.

Many schools love reapplicants as they can see how they improved based on an unsuccessful cycle and see perseverance (medical school, residency, and being a doctor will continue to knock you down and they want to see if you can react). Some schools only allow reapplying to their school once.

This is anecdotal but at all the schools I interviewed at this year, I was one of the only ppl coming straight from undergrad. Many were re-applying or had taken multiple gap years so I feel like seasoned and more experienced applicants r kinda the new wave And something schools like to see. As I will likely be a reapplicant this cycle I personally only see it helping me not hurting me as long as I can get my mcat score up to show improvement

What have you improved (volunteer hours, clinical experience, research, interview skills, writing, etc)? If nothing changed, then schools will look at you and wonder why you did not do anything to improve your app over the course of a year. If you add significant improvements, they will see that you are working to address deficits and make yourself even more competitive, which they like.

Many schools love reapplicants as they can see how they improved based on an unsuccessful cycle and see perseverance (medical school, residency, and being a doctor will continue to knock you down and they want to see if you can react). Some schools only allow reapplying to their school once.
What if you been sending updates? I've made significant new experiences this past year during this cycle. Throughout this whole cycle I've been updating the schools, especially the ones I have WL. By the time I reapply idk what new things will be left to add

What if you been sending updates? I've made significant new experiences this past year during this cycle. Throughout this whole cycle I've been updating the schools, especially the ones I have WL. By the time I reapply idk what new things will be left to add
I would think since the updates aren’t on our old primary app then they can still compare the primaries and see the difference from last year

lets both pray for each other if i get off from my top choice i will give up my seat at KCU and that will go to you

Let's hope and pray that we all get into our top choices/the right schools for us!! Because this process is largely out of our control.
lets both pray for each other if i get off from my top choice i will give up my seat at KCU and that will go to you

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

I got a call today!!! Keep hope guys :)

• Love
Reactions: 47 users
Can anyone here tell me what to make of this. I’ve been waitlisted for months (since November); I’ve sent two letters to update the school. The school is still interviewing in June but they did send me an email which was categorized as promotional (gmail) for next cycles application. Am I toast? There has been movement at said school.

Good luck to you all and thanks for this thread

• Hmm
Does most of the waitlist movement seem to be lower tier MDs? I am sensing slower moving from other T40s but wondering if anyone else is observing this?

I’m not 100% sure, but I lowkey gave up relying on SDN for waitlist movement. There were many times I didn’t see any updates on SDN but heard and know people who got off the waitlists at specific schools without posting. From personal experience, I can tell you that there’s surely movement going on (but could also be delayed cause of unprecedented times...).

Reactions: 14 users

Agreed with below posts. Places you may not have gotten an interview now sees the improvement. Places you interviewed may not put much emphasis on updates and focus on original application so everyone is on an equal footing.

I finally made my way here.... 4 II, 1 R and 3WL for months now.... 1 WL is overbooked so that sucks, prob won't happen. The other has a very small chance of movement cause small class size and the third has had WL movement but i'm just scared IDK i don't feel like it's gonna work for me. I've had reapplying in the back of my head but find no courage to sit down and do it.

• Sad
Reactions: 16 users
so AMCAS closed out the sign in to the 2020 application.... if we get accepted at this point, how do we PTE or CTE? I cant even get into where the choose your school option would be

• Wow
so AMCAS closed out the sign in to the 2020 application.... if we get accepted at this point, how do we PTE or CTE? I cant even get into where the choose your school option would be

Works fine for me... AMCAS

There is no way they would close out the link to get in. The 2019 form was accessible for quite awhile.

Restart your device - try another browser - try to log on with a laptop.

Reactions: 1 user
Would be awesome if we all got a call from our top choices this week. If I do get accepted my plan is to drive out during the long weekend and look for places to live. A guy can dream lol

Reactions: 32 users
Would be awesome if we all got a call from our top choices this week. If I do get accepted my plan is to drive out during the long weekend and look for places to live. A guy can dream lol

0839C474-07BE-46CD-9C7C-442B1E07CCBA.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Y’all I don’t think my heart can handle anymore. I just got a call from a number in the same area code as my school, and it was a random library. I had a mini heart attack when I saw the number and now I’m over here

• Sad
Reactions: 22 users
Y’all I don’t think my heart can handle anymore. I just got a call from a number in the same area code as my school, and it was a random library. I had a mini heart attack when I saw the number and now I’m over here

This happened to me yesterday and my heart went from racing to breaking within seconds when an automated spam voice came on. This waiting is absolutely brutal.

• Sad

Yeah , this waiting is horrible as much as I’m trying to distract myself , it still has its ups and downs . I just want clarity.

The same happened to me too and it gave me a mini heart attack as well . Totally know what you’re feeling .

We can get through this !! Hopefully relief comes soon and hopefully we get accepted !!!

Still here sitting with 5 waitlists... :hungover:
Every time I’m working on my reapp again, I pray that the an A would come through and save me from this hell. Can anyone provide some words of encouragement/hope? Been on a rollercoaster of emotions all month. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 21 users
Every time I’m working on my reapp again, I pray that the an A would come through and save me from this hell. Can anyone provide some words of encouragement/hope? Been on a rollercoaster of emotions all month. :(
On the same boat my dude. Best thing that's working for me is hope for the best and move on. Treat it as if its already done. I've started to reapp and will act as if none of my wl have worked out. That may be harsh at first but I think it at least deals with the rollercoaster of emotions. No more false hopes each morning and crushing disappointment each night. Once I accepted that I need to reapp I can now focus on doing that. If something turns out few weeks down the road, great! I rather be surprised rather than wait each day hoping for a phone call that may not ever come. Spend that energy and prepare the best primary you can and submit early! Plus I feel like for me all good things that came my way have always been unexpected surprises so maybe this will be too.

Reactions: 15 users

A month ago I was literally bawling my eyes out for not hearing back from my 4 WL schools. I gave up, decided to prepare for another cycle, just prayed, and hoped the universe would push me to wherever I was meant to be.

SDN isn't the healthiest place to see for WL movements (I am a hypocrite), since there will be some people who don't update or post when they do get accepted off the waitlist.

But hey, 3 weeks later, 3 of my schools sent me an A and yesterday my dream school got back to me. I gave up on that dream school because I was far from the median MCAT and other stats... but hey -- we all end up where we are meant to me. Just gotta trust in the process, hard work, and yourself my guy. You all got this.

Reactions: 37 users
Looking at all these false alarm phone call stories I'm really glad my WL schools email rather than call.

Reactions: 7 users
agreed on starting the new app. i’ve been so anxious and tbh i’ve cried a lot in these past couple weeks but after accepting that i’ve done everything i can and fully committing to applying again, i’ve felt a lot of better. maybe med school wasn’t meant for this year, but i don’t wanna fall behind and screw my chances for this next cycle. we can still get in guys, just might take some more time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users