2020 Cycle Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I miss when this thread was just coping w our depression, being overly neurotic together and congratulating those who finally get the A can we go back to that pls :hungover:

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 29 users
(new to this thread so sorry if this has already been asked) but...do you guys think COVID will change the amount of WL movement for particular schools or do you think they'll stay roughly the same? for example, are people maybe more likely to decline a school in NYC?

my top choice WL normally takes a majority of people off of their WL but the school specific forum seems dead/little WL movement :(

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That’s what I’m thinking! :xf:
I know this is highly anecdotal but one of the schools I’m WL at said although they have had almost no movement they predict another wave in the next couple weeks so hopefully that’s the case everywhere

Reactions: 11 users
Let’s all take a moment to remember memelord... the one who probably thought he was destined for moderator status but flew too close to the sun

Super tangential, but whatever happened to memelord? I used to remember him being very active around sdn, now his membership is revoked?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the support this cycle. After 5 waitlists and a bunch of doubt, I got off one of my waitlists on Friday. Just want to say, don't lose hope. There is still time for things to move. I know it's so much easier to say this from the other side, but I truly believe that everyone on this thread deserves to be a doctor!

• Love
Reactions: 56 users
I know this seems like wishful thinking, but I agree about this coming week. Most schools have completed graduations this weekend. So Adcoms and undergrad seniors, may have more time to focus on this, tie up loose ends.

Reactions: 23 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Super tangential, but whatever happened to memelord? I used to remember him being very active around sdn, now his membership is revoked?

I beleive that he started spamming the forums with memes. it got to a point where he was told to knock it off, and he ignored the mods. That's Banhammer time.

Everything in on here is speculation. But historically mid May is a really good time to get off the waitlist.
May AND June. It may be a bit slower this year due to COVID and the MD schools flying blind without the MAR. They seemed to be far more conservative last year.

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 13 users
May AND June. It may be a bit slower this year due to COVID and the MD schools flying blind without the MAR. They seemed to be far more conservative last year.

Just to clarify, do you mean it seems like they were far more conservative last year compared to this year? Or you mean starting
last year with out MAR?

Are we sure I'm the troll? *accused by someone with "Probationary Status"*
"I have no acceptances" is accurate. As of now, I am going to have to reapply. Which I knew was a possibility when I declined an acceptance from a school at which I think I would not be happy. How dare I! The whole point of my original post was to ask where I went wrong with my WL schools.
I don't think you did anything wrong. School cycles are completely crapshoot. To explain, I have low stats (<510 and ORM). I had a very good application otherwise and did very well this cycle with 9 interviews. However, I only had 3 acceptances and 5 WL. (I withdrew from one post II for same reason as you). Then I got off one WL. All of my acceptances so far with the exception of 1 are at schools that I would not have guessed while 2 of my last 4 WL are at schools I 100% had better scores for etc.... I think ultimately it's really about fit. The schools I received an acceptances at, I had long talks with Deans/program directors during interview day. Not to sell myself, I was just talking to them during tours/visit day etc... and I think that ended up showing them a side of me that perhaps they didn't see on paper and were willing to overlook stats etc... My best advice is to just be yourself if you have to reapply and find schools with true mission fits I can't emphasize enough the importance of school fit. But I am crossing my fingers for you and hoping you get off one of your 3 WL!

Reactions: 4 users
You’re right I didn’t think about it that way. But those guys there most are getting in somewhere else. We on this page are begging to get into just one

You’re a cloooown

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 2 users
Hopefully the April interviews start hearing back soon, so nerve wracking getting this late into May

Reactions: 4 users
This is a poll some of you may find interesting!

They're all pretty much a dime-a-dozen. Pick one that is:
  • given at a med school
  • lowest in tuition
  • is one year in length
  • has the best linkage
That's really really interesting to me in my current situation. Based on these criteria, should I actually go with VCU over Boston U's SMP given the lower tuition, and 3.5+ performance-based guaranteed interview? I thought BU being a reputable program and med school would give me a better overall chance at a med school admission next year? Those are my only options for fall if I don't make it off one of the 2 waitlists I'm on. If it matters, my stats are 3.3/3.2, 512, everything else on my app is fairly average, 400 hours research, 800 hours scribing, etc.

That's really really interesting to me in my current situation. Based on these criteria, should I actually go with VCU over Boston U's SMP given the lower tuition, and 3.5+ performance-based guaranteed interview? I thought BU being a reputable program and med school would give me a better overall chance at a med school admission next year? Those are my only options for fall if I don't make it off one of the 2 waitlists I'm on. If it matters, my stats are 3.3/3.2, 512, everything else on my app is fairly average, 400 hours research, 800 hours scribing, etc.
Reputation of the parent school is irrelevant. You have to do well no matter where you are.

Fingers crossed for all of us getting an A this week!

• Love
Reactions: 31 users
I have weighed the options of another cycle. I had 2 DO interviews (both rejections) and 1 MD (waitlist). I think the big piece is that I am a non traditional student 26 turning 27 ready to start and I know what I want to specialize in but the only other thing I’d need to do to improve would be my grades and that would require a master programs which I don’t know if financially I want to undertake. I am still weighing the option but figured I’d put down the deposit just in case I decide to take the chance. Also thanks to everyone who posts on this thread it’s kept me from drowning during this long wait.

I am the same age. I know the feeling about being too old. The problem is we are not we are two years older than the average matriculant. As others have suggested there is many other options than attending a Caribbean school. You could easily end up with 200k plus in debt and nothing to show for it at the very end. I strongly consider another route like PA.

Accepted off the waitlist this morning! :love: (D.O.)

My first A! Hang in there, you guys. I was a very borderline, non-trad applicant — my second cycle — and good things come to those who wait!

Edit to add: I emailed the school every 2-3 wks since being WL’ed. LOI, “should I start on pre-matric requirements?” ... “how would a late A affect my financial aid?” etc. It is 100% school specific, but I think this kept me on their radar since their WL is unranked/loosely grouped.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 53 users
Accepted off the waitlist this morning! :love: (D.O.)

My first A! Hang in there, you guys. I was a very borderline, non-trad applicant — my second cycle — and good things come to those who wait!

Edit to add: I emailed the school every 2-3 wks since being WL’ed. LOI, “should I start on pre-matric reauirements?” ... “how would a late A affect my financial aid?” etc. It is 100% school specific, but I think this kept me on their radar since their WL is unranked/loosely grouped.
Congratulations !!!!! I had been holding off on emailing my school bc I was scared to annoy them but I took this as a sign and just sent it LOL. Congrats again, that is amazing!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
hey @gyngyn do you have any data on how many acceptees at your school are holding multiple acceptances and how many are PTEd vs CTEd?

Reactions: 1 users
Got an email about the masters program from a school that I haven't even heard back from regarding my application. :(

I don’t understand the difference between PTE’d and CTE’d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which school are we talking about?
Gyngyn’s school. For the sake of anonymity, I don’t think anyone but Gyngyn knows which school that is but it’s helpful to see where one school stands at least with PTE/CTE and multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 6 users
Oufffff that just made me really sad

I wouldn't worry about this too much. Before the new rules, applicants were mandated to 'plan to enroll' anyway on May 1st... now its just more of a strong recommendation (with some schools possibly making it a requirement). What matters more is people getting off the waitlist to stir up movement among schools. We'll see what kind of movement there will be in the coming weeks, but I think theres reason to be optimistic.

My biggest sign of optimism is that we have three schools in my state. One (which I would say is probably the most favorable) has not accepted a single person off waitlist - which I’m hoping is just them taking their time. Hopefully once they start accepting people off waitlist there will be a huge facilitation of waitlist movement in the other two schools. The third ranked school had already had so much waitlist movement because not as many people want to go their I guess.

My biggest sign of optimism is that we have three schools in my state. One (which I would say is probably the most favorable) has not accepted a single person off waitlist - which I’m hoping is just them taking their time. Hopefully once they start accepting people off waitlist there will be a huge facilitation of waitlist movement in the other two schools. The third ranked school had already had so much waitlist movement because not as many people want to go their I guess.

Funny enough all of my state schools have had at least a little waitlist movement, except for the one I’m WL’d on :(. Going off of the US News rankings it’s likely the 4th or 5th highest ranked public school in the state. Hopefully as people get into the higher ranked state schools off the waitlist, the WL at my top choice will move.

Funny enough all of my state schools have had at least a little waitlist movement, except for the one I’m WL’d on :(. Going off of the US News rankings it’s likely the 4th or 5th highest ranked public school in the state. Hopefully as people get into the higher ranked state schools off the waitlist, the WL at my top choice will move.

I hope so brother. I’m struggling with waiting. We got two more hours till it’s 5 pm!

Reactions: 6 users
Just got waitlist #5...in mid-May???? Just put me out of my misery already

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 18 users