2020 Cycle Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay so I interviewed at a school earlier this year, didn't get rejected but also didn't hear back about any waitlists or stuff. What does this kind of thing mean? It's an anomaly. Other people who interviewed with me have heard back about waitlist spots or rejections. It's very weird and I'd like your guys' input on this
If it has been more than a few months, it would be perfectly ok to ask if they need anything further from you to help them with their decision (a polite way of asking if they lost you!).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If it has been more than a few months, it would be perfectly ok to ask if they need anything further from you to help them with their decision (a polite way of asking if they lost you!).
Yeah it's been about three months. I'll try that. Thanks!

Reactions: 4 users
There is a 2 in the tens column of this month. I don’t think it’s early anymore. Sorry to say. ☹️

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
okay I got the generic, "we can't tell you your status, they'll be ready when they are ready" email LOL. It was a worth a shot. Thanks again guys

Reactions: 5 users
a school im WL'd on says they provide feedback to applicants on their website. should i reach out to them or would that turn them away from me even more as a potential acceptance? maybe even use the email to reiterate its my first choice which is why id like feedback?
My school provides feedback specifically for re-apps and I took full advantage of it. I would definitely try to reach out and get feedback. Also maybe slip in that you'd only re-apply if you didn't get in this round. That's what I did. I don't think it necessarily hurts but I could also be wrong

As the waitlist drags on I think it's important to keep in mind that in the worst case scenario in which you don't get an A after multiple application cycles there are still plenty of options to work in the medical field without a MD/DO degree.

Anecdotal experience: I used to scribe for a Podiatrist (DPM) who applied to podiatry school after numerous failed attempts to get admitted into a MD medical school, and he is very satisfied with his work and is in a leadership position at a hospital. Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that everyone should apply to podiatry school, but there are definitely other avenues to practice medicine if applying to MD/DO medical school doesn't pan out.

Just some perspective :shrug:
Last night while I was trying to fall asleep despite my constant state of waitlist anxiety, I was seriously thinking about applying to podiatry school. Feet are like the foundation of the whole body, ya know?!

that said I’m still holding out hope for MD haha.

Last night while I was trying to fall asleep despite my constant state of waitlist anxiety, I was seriously thinking about applying to podiatry school. Feet are like the foundation of the whole body, ya know?!

that said I’m still holding out hope for MD haha.

There are many DPMs appointed as faculty/ professors in some big name MD Schools. Some are even the chief of surgery, chief of staff in their hospitals. Many pre-med student overlook it.

A few examples:
52602240_387387505160595_6499728138233184256_n (1).jpg

Depressed and emotionally drained from staying on 3 waitlists. I feel useless right now ngl. Let me know if anyone tryna play some cod warzone to get through these times, always down to game

• Sad
Reactions: 19 users
Depressed and emotionally drained from staying on 3 waitlists. I feel useless right now ngl. Let me know if anyone tryna play some cod warzone to get through these times, always down to game
I don’t play COD but I totally know how you feel. Three WLs and trying to stay hopeful!!

Reactions: 7 users
Looking for advice. I am on multiple WL's and just got a voicemail I have been accepted off the WL at one school today!
While I'm more than thankful and happy since this was my first acceptance, the school is across the country and kind of expensive, and I'm still waiting on my top choice school in my state.
Am I expected to accept or reject the offer on the spot or risk losing it? Can I accept the offer and later reject it if I got into my top choice?

Reactions: 9 users
Looking for advice. I am on multiple WL's and just got a voicemail I have been accepted off the WL at one school today!
While I'm more than thankful and happy since this was my first acceptance, the school is across the country and kind of expensive, and I'm still waiting on my top choice school in my state.
Am I expected to accept or reject the offer on the spot or risk losing it? Can I accept the offer and later reject it if I got into my top choice?
You should be able to accept it and PTE while staying on other WLs. Just make sure you CTE by their deadline. Congrats!

First of all, congratulations! This is wonderful news! What you can do is PTE at this school. That way you hold your seat there, but stay on the waitlist at your instate school.
You can also use this acceptance to possibly leverage an acceptance from your top choice WL. You can send an update along the lines of “while I have an acceptance at another school (or state the name of said school), I would not hesitate to come to your school should I receive an offer...” then continue with any update you might have. Best of luck and congrats again!

Reactions: 6 users
All the talk of podiatry here has reinforced my desire to keep trying for medical school because... feet. I scribe in an ER and the number of diabetic foot ulcers and PAD complications that come in... it's bad. I usually have to wear a mask and stay by the door for risk of being sick. If you can handle feet, more power to you friends!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be able to accept it and PTE while staying on other WLs. Just make sure you CTE by their deadline. Congrats!
First of all, congratulations! This is wonderful news! What you can do is PTE at this school. That way you hold your seat there, but stay on the waitlist at your instate school.
You can also use this acceptance to possibly leverage an acceptance from your top choice WL. You can send an update along the lines of “while I have an acceptance at another school (or state the name of said school), I would not hesitate to come to your school should I receive an offer...” then continue with any update you might have. Best of luck and congrats again!

Thank you so much for your replies!

I can't describe my love and gratitude for everyone in this thread for being such a supportive and affectionate group. ❤️ Between those accepted or those still in the wait game, I pray you are rewarded for your patience and love for others. You all exemplify what this career truly means.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Hi All, I'm looking for some advice, not sure if this would be the right forum (please let me know if there is another one). I am WL at 2 MD schools and accepted into a DO school which is not my top choice. I am very tempted to give up my DO seat because I believe I may stand a better chance getting into a MD program next year with my reapplication. I don't know if this is grandiose thinking on my part and perhaps I should just go for the DO opportunity. I've heard of 2-3 applications with no success getting into an MD program. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Do you think med schools will look down on non-clinical jobs in gap years? I will b starting full time as a leasing agent at an apartment mainly bc I get discounted rent and other benefits and the other clinical jobs available In this city or only part time or don’t pay enough bc it’s a small city. If I’m gonna be able to afford to re-apply this cycle then this job is ideal. I just don’t know if this will look bad. I’m gonna try and see if I can find shadowing or hospital volunteering to do some on the weekends too but I’m not sure if I’ll find anything before it’s time to submit the primary, hence it wouldn’t be on my application if I don’t find anything rn. I’m just so scared to re-apply and not get the A this time. I mean I will also be re-taking mcat so there will be a good improvement area too. But yeah idk. Thoughts?

Hi All, I'm looking for some advice, not sure if this would be the right forum (please let me know if there is another one). I am WL at 2 MD schools and accepted into a DO school which is not my top choice. I am very tempted to give up my DO seat because I believe I may stand a better chance getting into a MD program next year with my reapplication. I don't know if this is grandiose thinking on my part and perhaps I should just go for the DO opportunity. I've heard of 2-3 applications with no success getting into an MD program. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I made a similar decision this cycle. Got an A at a DO school that I had a very poor interview day experience. I am sitting with 0s A and 1 MD waitlist but preparing for an MD reapp. I felt that I would not be happy at the school I declined my acceptance at (plus it was one of the most expensive schools in the country). You aren't alone!

Do you think med schools will look down on non-clinical jobs in gap years? I will b starting full time as a leasing agent at an apartment mainly bc I get discounted rent and other benefits and the other clinical jobs available In this city or only part time or don’t pay enough bc it’s a small city. If I’m gonna be able to afford to re-apply this cycle then this job is ideal. I just don’t know if this will look bad. I’m gonna try and see if I can find shadowing or hospital volunteering to do some on the weekends too but I’m not sure if I’ll find anything before it’s time to submit the primary, hence it wouldn’t be on my application if I don’t find anything rn. I’m just so scared to re-apply and not get the A this time. I mean I will also be re-taking mcat so there will be a good improvement area too. But yeah idk. Thoughts?
No. I worked a non-clinical job for 2 gap years because I thoroughly enjoyed it and it would support me living in a big city (where a clinical job would not). My non-clinical job came up as a positive talking point in all my interviews, and I was able to speak well on it because I was passionate about it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Honestly, other people's opinions and thoughts of your decisions should not influence your decision. Ultimately, your happiness is what's most important. If your goals in medicine don't align with the DO philosophy and you would be truly unhappy going there I would not accept that position as another student may be very excited to go there. I was prepared to make the same decision had I not been accepted at an MD school. Ultimately, I want to be proud of the institution that I attend and feel that it will prepare me for my career - which I hold very near and dear to my heart. After interviewing at DO programs I personally did not feel as though they would prepare me for a career in academic medicine - I felt that the MD schools I interviewed at would prepare me better for that trajectory and other paths I wanted to pursue. I felt "the fit" at my MD schools rather than my DO schools and that is a very personal thing. I am not saying that pursuing a DO route will not offer you success I am saying that in a career as life consuming as this, you should never ever settle for something that doesn't make YOU happy. People will judge you regardless. Good luck making your decision!

Can anyone speak to general trends of IS WL movement vs. OOS WL movement at state schools?

School specific. Generally, OOS movement is higher at schools -- especially public schools were tuition is high for OOS and due to many people wanting to stay near home. Despite that generality, many schools don't accept many OOS students, and therefore waitlist movement is seemingly low overall (though likely higher per seat).

Honestly, other people's opinions and thoughts of your decisions should not influence your decision. Ultimately, your happiness is what's most important. If your goals in medicine don't align with the DO philosophy and you would be truly unhappy going there I would not accept that position as another student may be very excited to go there. I was prepared to make the same decision had I not been accepted at an MD school. Ultimately, I want to be proud of the institution that I attend and feel that it will prepare me for my career - which I hold very near and dear to my heart. After interviewing at DO programs I personally did not feel as though they would prepare me for a career in academic medicine - I felt that the MD schools I interviewed at would prepare me better for that trajectory and other paths I wanted to pursue. I felt "the fit" at my MD schools rather than my DO schools and that is a very personal thing. I am not saying that pursuing a DO route will not offer you success I am saying that in a career as life consuming as this, you should never ever settle for something that doesn't make YOU happy. People will judge you regardless. Good luck making your decision!
Thanks for sharing your perspective! I learned later on in this cycle another limitation of DO is that it is not recognized in some countries where I would potentially like to serve.

A slight level of sadness: Friday means only 1 short day left to get a call/email before the long weekend of silence.

Reactions: 13 users
A slight level of sadness: Friday means only 1 short day left to get a call/email before the long weekend of silence.
OR and hear me out por favor, a long weekend of mental rejuvenation and a much needed break from a constant loop of staring at your phone, mindlessly refreshing emails, and imagining yourself at your school of choice because law of attraction ya know? Lmao this got more personal than initially intended.

Reactions: 17 users
OR and hear me out por favor, a long weekend of mental rejuvenation and a much needed break from a constant loop of staring at your phone, mindlessly refreshing emails, and imagining yourself at your school of choice because law of attraction ya know? Lmao this got more personal than initially intended.

If you can drink that Kool-aid, more power to ya! Definitely healthier!

• Haha

I would say the weekend has already started since its MDW. Most offices and schools are already closed until Tuesday and if they aren’t so many people take off Friday for the holiday weekend. I know it’s hard because I resisted for a long time but I forced myself to find new hobbies to distract me and it has been life changing. I started learning guitar and something about really focusing on a new skill makes time fly by, especially music which is therapeutic/ good for the mind

I would say the weekend has already started since its MDW. Most offices and schools are already closed until Tuesday and if they aren’t so many people take off Friday for the holiday weekend. I know it’s hard because I resisted for a long time but I forced myself to find new hobbies to distract me and it has been life changing. I started learning guitar and something about really focusing on a new skill makes time fly by, especially music which is therapeutic/ good for the mind
With travel restrictions may be not that many take extra day off.

I made a similar decision this cycle. Got an A at a DO school that I had a very poor interview day experience. I am sitting with 0s A and 1 MD waitlist but preparing for an MD reapp. I felt that I would not be happy at the school I declined my acceptance at (plus it was one of the most expensive schools in the country). You aren't alone!

Did you interview at CCOM by any chance? Because seeing that tuition on interview day made me cry a little on the inside

With travel restrictions may be not that many take extra day off.

Idk man it’s still a holiday idk what to tell you.
We’re not allowed to travel and my family is in academia but almost everyone I know is off and either at the local parks hiking, biking, or camping. I know it sucks and I’m not trying to make you upset, just that it is significantly more of a reason than any normal day to try justifying putting your phone away and stepping away from the email. If not though and this doesn’t help, I’m sorry I know this whole thing sucks

Currently paralyzed to action in starting a re-app. Waitlists dragging me down, and can’t focus in this household with everything closed. Jw, what is the last day you would consider turning in a primary early?

Currently paralyzed to action in starting a re-app. Waitlists dragging me down, and can’t focus in this household with everything closed. Jw, what is the last day you would consider turning in a primary early?

Last year I submitted mine on June 1st... seeing as how they’re delaying things by two weeks I would say two weeks after that maybe...
But I’m not sure, I’m trying to decide that as well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I apologize as I feel I am asking these questions in the wrong thread dedicated to reapplicants. With 3 II's and a primary that was submitted in August I feel that I had somewhat of a solid application. Would it be okay if I used the same letters of recommendation? @gyngyn @Goro

I apologize as I feel I am asking these questions in the wrong thread dedicated to reapplicants. With 3 II's and a primary that was submitted in August I feel that I had somewhat of a solid application. Would it be okay if I used the same letters of recommendation? @gyngyn @Goro
As long as they knew you well and you are sure that they are strong, that should be fine.
How will you change your strategy, though?

• Love
Idk man it’s still a holiday idk what to tell you.
We’re not allowed to travel and my family is in academia but almost everyone I know is off and either at the local parks hiking, biking, or camping. I know it sucks and I’m not trying to make you upset, just that it is significantly more of a reason than any normal day to try justifying putting your phone away and stepping away from the email. If not though and this doesn’t help, I’m sorry I know this whole thing sucks
don't worry, I am not an applicant.

• Haha
As long as they knew you well and you are sure that they are strong, that should be fine.
How will you change your strategy, though?

These are all things I didn't do last year but will do now:
- Put my foot down and turn this application in mid-june instead of late august.
- Clean up my personal statement/make it as true to myself as possible and avoid making any indications on what I MIGHT do with my gap year. (last year I stated I planned to continue tutoring and get a scribe job when I ended up getting a pharm tech job, that made for some tense interview moments)
- Pre-write my secondaries to have them finished days after I receive them
- Find some serious interview help. My first interview last year was intense, my interviewer was looking at his phone/ watch/ and pointed out all my weaknesses. Because of that, in my last two interviews I felt like I was just trying to play it safe and didn't express myself as enthusiastically as I could have. My interviewing skills, in general, can improve as a whole.
- Double-check schools LOR reqs, class reqs, etc to avoid wasting time and money (happened with a couple of medical schools last year)
- 60 more hours of shadowing compared to the last cycle (present a clear message that I know what it means to be a physician and what I am signing up for)
- Find a job that's more clinical and a steady volunteer gig so I can provide some meaty updates throughout what I now know as a loooooooooong application cycle.
- Take the CASPER in July, did not take it seriously at all last year and bombed it.

- Apply D.O ?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, that maybe the same school I'm thinking. They gave me a good scholarship but the journey matters to me, like you. All the best to you!

I just received an A off the WL! I know i never posted here but i always read the posts here and you guys are so encouraging. For everyone that’s still waiting on answer, stay strong and hope for the best. You never know when that acceptance letter will come but never get discouraged or feel that you didn’t do enough. It’s a long and hectic process and this is just the beginning. Thanks for everything!

• Love
Reactions: 43 users
These are all things I didn't do last year but will do now:
- Put my foot down and turn this application in mid-june instead of late august.
- Clean up my personal statement/make it as true to myself as possible and avoid making any indications on what I MIGHT do with my gap year. (last year I stated I planned to continue tutoring and get a scribe job when I ended up getting a pharm tech job, that made for some tense interview moments)
- Pre-write my secondaries to have them finished days after I receive them
- Find some serious interview help. My first interview last year was intense, my interviewer was looking at his phone/ watch/ and pointed out all my weaknesses. Because of that, in my last two interviews I felt like I was just trying to play it safe and didn't express myself as enthusiastically as I could have. My interviewing skills, in general, can improve as a whole.
- Double-check schools LOR reqs, class reqs, etc to avoid wasting time and money (happened with a couple of medical schools last year)
- 60 more hours of shadowing compared to the last cycle (present a clear message that I know what it means to be a physician and what I am signing up for)
- Find a job that's more clinical and a steady volunteer gig so I can provide some meaty updates throughout what I now know as a loooooooooong application cycle.
- Take the CASPER in July, did not take it seriously at all last year and bombed it.

- Apply D.O ?

Any other advice would be appreciated.
As long as you have 40 hours of primary care shadowing, I'd say use that time in service to others.
Otherwise, looks good!

Haven't posted on SDN in a year since I did my WAMC. Got my first A today after losing hope on 4 WLs. This thread has been so comforting and uplifting. I wish the best for all of you!

• Love
Reactions: 37 users
Just wondering. Anyone who hasn't heard anything from their med school (No WL, just literal silence), can you like this post? I'm trying to see how common it is to determine if it's something that just happens or I'm just out of luck lmao. If you want you can also reply to this saying how long you've been waiting for?

Since December
Just wondering. Anyone who hasn't heard anything from their med school (No WL, just literal silence), can you like this post? I'm trying to see how common it is to determine if it's something that just happens or I'm just out of luck lmao. If you want you can also reply to this saying how long you've been waiting for?

It's a process that requires a lot of patience

+1 to the spam call from the area code of your WL school just now... :( My heart rate is through the roof!

• Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Since December
Hm do you think we are on some kind of shadow waitlist? Because we clearly survived the rejection waves and I doubt they'd hold on to a rejection because that makes no sense. But also no WL either. This is a weird Limbo to be in for sure. But hopefully we hear good news!

I've been on a waitlist since September :bang:
I hope you hear good news soon! Your time is coming!

DId you interview? If not this is a silent r. If you did, then contact the school and see if they forgot about you

DId you interview? If not this is a silent r. If you did, then contact the school and see if they forgot about you
I interviewed yea, I contacted them they said they were unable to give me any info on it

• Angry
  • Wow