2020 Cycle Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Albany is requiring acceptees to select PTE within 24 hours to keep their seat

They can do that? I thought AMCAS rules said they had to give at least 5 days?

Members don't see this ad.

For those that have been waitlisted at schools that rank their waitlisted applicants, have you had any luck in asking the school any of the following?:
  • Where you are ranked on the waitlist
  • How many candidates have been accepted off and how many remain
  • A rough estimate of how many more they think may be accepted (which I know is a total crapshoot).

Members don't see this ad :)
Working on my re-application... does anyone have a link to a page listing all of last years's secondary essay prompts?

If a class size is ~108 (pretty small), and it’s already June 1st... what are the chances of getting off at this point? I emailed admissions about WL movement a few weeks ago & no word back. I’m in the TMDSAS (Texas) system, so stressed as to whether or not I should continue moving forward or holding on to the last bit of hope before classes start June 30th.

Reactions: 1 user
If a class size is ~108 (pretty small), and it’s already June 1st... what are the chances of getting off at this point? I emailed admissions about WL movement a few weeks ago & no word back. I’m in the TMDSAS (Texas) system, so stressed as to whether or not I should continue moving forward or holding on to the last bit of hope before classes start June 30th.
M1 here who came off the waitlist in July last year with three weeks till classes started, with a class size under 90, so its possible. Less calls will probably go out as time moves on, but they'll keep coming up till schools begin starting. It'll be near impossible to predict any one person's chances of getting pulled of a WL I feel, it may come down to being on the right WL and being able to balance a schools demographics the right way to replace whoever withdrew.
I'd recommend moving forward however. Better to be prepared and not need it than need to reapply and not be prepared. I actually got the call as I was sitting in orientation for hospital volunteering. And at least personally, I found that just the act of accepting the need of starting the process again was the worst part, once I got writing and planning and got some measure of control over things I found it cathartic. Waiting is always the worst part, sometimes reclaiming a bit of agency just feels good, and I was able to let my hopelessness become determination to prove myself in the next cycle.
Just my two cents, definitely don't claim to be an expert on any of this. Best of luck to you and everyone else still riding the WLs!

Reactions: 21 users
M1 here who came off the waitlist in July last year with three weeks till classes started, with a class size under 90, so its possible. Less calls will probably go out as time moves on, but they'll keep coming up till schools begin starting. It'll be near impossible to predict any one person's chances of getting pulled of a WL I feel, it may come down to being on the right WL and being able to balance a schools demographics the right way to replace whoever withdrew.
I'd recommend moving forward however. Better to be prepared and not need it than need to reapply and not be prepared. I actually got the call as I was sitting in orientation for hospital volunteering. And at least personally, I found that just the act of accepting the need of starting the process again was the worst part, once I got writing and planning and got some measure of control over things I found it cathartic. Waiting is always the worst part, sometimes reclaiming a bit of agency just feels good, and I was able to let my hopelessness become determination to prove myself in the next cycle.
Just my two cents, definitely don't claim to be an expert on any of this. Best of luck to you and everyone else still riding the WLs!
It's absolutely true! I've been working on my reapp and making a new school list and writing about my updated activities is actually kind of fun/exciting (and let's me distract myself from the mess the world is in right now)??? Hoping we hear some good news soon though: )

Reactions: 3 users
Might be dumb question but schools don't get a notification if you're reapplying right?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you! but that's obviously once you submit the primary and everything right?

Yes, they only know if you are reapplying if you A) tell them or B) submit a primary to them.

Yes, they only know if you are reapplying if you A) tell them or B) submit a primary to them.
Would telling a school if you are reapplying hurt your place on the waitlist? When I called one of my schools they asked if I was committing elsewhere and I told them I was preparing to reapply.

Would telling a school if you are reapplying hurt your place on the waitlist? When I called one of my schools they asked if I was committing elsewhere and I told them I was preparing to reapply.
I spoke with the dean of admissions at one of my WL schools last week about my app and weak areas I should focus on while reapplying. The only thing he said about being on the WL still was that movement, although likely small, will still happen in June and possibly July. Basically a “don’t give up hope”. I doubt it will negatively impact your WL spot.

Would it be worth it to update a school on a prestigious service award from your undergraduate university?

I spoke with the dean of admissions at one of my WL schools last week about my app and weak areas I should focus on while reapplying. The only thing he said about being on the WL still was that movement, although likely small, will still happen in June and possibly July. Basically a “don’t give up hope”. I doubt it will negatively impact your WL spot.

What school was this? I’m on the waitlist at one of the schools you’re on the waitlist at.

Congratulations on getting off last year! I think your experience really put a lot into perspective for me, and made me encouraged to get started right away! Absolutely, I would want to be in a place of security rather than a place of anxiety. Thank you again!

No. It probably won't change anything. There is a slight chance that they see that you have no acceptances and would likely commit to enroll there if a spot opened.

I was just making a little joke with my response above. Schools and AAMC are very focused on antitrust concerns nowadays, so no, AMCAS does not report anything about your application activities to other schools, other than what they can see using the CYMS tool. Sometime next October, if you get in somewhere, all schools you applied to will be able to see where you matriculated.

There is absolutely no way reapplying will either help you or hurt you with respect to WL status. The WL school can see that you have no PTE/CTE, and their natural assumption would be that you are reapplying if you do not get in.

I am still on a waitlist for my top choice school, but the school I am currently accepted at has a CTE deadline coming up. How would you guys recommend I reach out to the WL'd school for this? I have already sent them two LOI so I don't want to come off as too desperate

I think the new guidelines have cut down wl movement this year :/

Reactions: 1 users
Same guideline was last year but there were lot of movement in May. This year is different!

I am still on a waitlist for my top choice school, but the school I am currently accepted at has a CTE deadline coming up. How would you guys recommend I reach out to the WL'd school for this? I have already sent them two LOI so I don't want to come off as too desperate

Let your top choice know about the CTE date, but that they are still your top choice. Unless you already told them about your CTE date in a previous letter, I don’t think it would look desperate.

Reactions: 4 users
I began working on next cycle's application a few days ago, feeling totally defeated, and I JUST GOT THE CALL FROM MY TOP CHOICE. I bawled my eyes out on the phone, no ragrets.
Things can seem so bleak and the next second, it can all change. Knowing the ways of the universe, the sooner you start working on the new application, the sooner you'll all get the call. Good luck everyone <3

• Love
Reactions: 57 users
I began working on next cycle's application a few days ago, feeling totally defeated, and I JUST GOT THE CALL FROM MY TOP CHOICE. I bawled my eyes out on the phone, no ragrets.
Things can seem so bleak and the next second, it can all change. Knowing the ways of the universe, the sooner you start working on the new application, the sooner you'll all get the call. Good luck everyone <3
Seems like the best way to get off the WL is to start working on the next cycle's application. BRB I need to test something

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 31 users
Any ideas for non-research related gap year jobs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anyone else having trouble concentrating for the reapplication/academics? I am finding it to be super challenging with all that's going on with BLM/covid-19.

Reactions: 16 users
anyone else having trouble concentrating for the reapplication/academics? I am finding it to be super challenging with all that's going on with BLM/covid-19.

Saaaaammmmeeeee

PS. Ironically, I declined both calls from my accepting school today because I thought they were spam (from different state) I remember people saying spam calls kept scaring them
emoji28.png
who would have guessed?! answer every call y'all!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users
PS. Ironically, I declined both calls from my accepting school today because I thought they were spam (from different state) they had to email me to call them back I remember people saying scam calls kept scaring them who would have guessed (answer every call!)

Congrats on the call! I saw your previous thread, glad you dont have to get stuck reapplying.

• Love
Does anyone have a list of the schools that offer an optional re-application essay?

Registered for 4th MCAT. Going in for 3rd application cycle. Tired but super proud of how far I've come!

Reactions: 28 users
Registered for 4th MCAT. Going in for 3rd application cycle. Tired but super proud of how far I've come!

Rooting for u!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got accepted this morning 5 WL —> 1 A. Was about to submit my reapplication tomorrow and woke up to good news!!! Thanks for everyone’s support on this thread!! Y’all got this!!! It ain’t over till it’s over!! Keep the hope alive!!!

• Love
Reactions: 55 users
Just got accepted this morning 5 WL —> 1 A. Was about to submit my reapplication tomorrow and woke up to good news!!! Thanks for everyone’s support on this thread!! Y’all got this!!! It ain’t over till it’s over!! Keep the hope alive!!!

Congratulations!! What school is this?

Reactions: 3 users
Well everyone, I would like to thank you for your wonderful words getting me through these last few months. I was officially accepted off one of my two waitlists (had no precious acceptances) this morning. As today’s my birthday, it doesn’t get much better. Thank you to all of you again, going through this process and being able to “hear” people going through the same thing was much needed after months of family and friends not understanding what this takes. I’m praying for good news for all of you! Thank you again!!!

• Love
Reactions: 70 users