• Practice your interview with the new SDN AI Interview Coach. Choose a school, answer by voice or typing, and receive a personalized feedback report. Available now to all SDN members. Try the AI Interview Coach.

2020 Cycle Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else applying to a grad school degree at the same school they're waitlisted at? Do you think accepting an MPH offer will hurt my WL chance (not that it's a promising chance anyway)?
I got my first acceptance a week ago. The day after I was also excepted into a Top 5 MPH program. I am very sad about having to turn down the MPH offer, but I am excited to start medical school. I am on one other waitlist, but I also don't know if letting them know that info would change my WL status there. I have already decided what happens will happen.
 
Hey @gyngyn, any thoughts on WL movement for the months of June and July? Also as we near the 6/15 CTE date for some schools, do you think they will wait post-CTE to accept off the WL or should we give up hope on WL movement once our school's CTE date passes (barring emergency deferrals/withdrawals)?
 
Hey @gyngyn, any thoughts on WL movement for the months of June and July? Also as we near the 6/15 CTE date for some schools, do you think they will wait post-CTE to accept off the WL or should we give up hope on WL movement once our school's CTE date passes (barring emergency deferrals/withdrawals)?
I think it's going to be really slow at established schools from here on out.
CTE dates did little to perk up movement last year (first year of CTE).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if the school you CTE to know whether you dropped all your waitlists or is it just assumed? I am on the waitlist for my top choice and the admissions office told me they were willing to accept candidates who already CTE to another school if spots open up, especially if I sent an LoI. Wondering if I can remain on just for my top choice. My CTE date is coming up.
 
I'd give almost anything to go to Loyola. The thread has been silent for a week or so now. Does anyone think there'll be movement there? Their CTE is 6/15 now (apparently it was pushed though their website still says 6/1). I don't really expect that to impact movement though.
 
We can only see if you have CTE'd or PTE'd. We cannot see if you are still on a waitlist. The AAMC can see.
Thank you for your response. Will the AAMC typically notify schools that a student who CTE'd to their school still hold a waitlist position elsewhere?
 
Thank you for your response. Will the AAMC typically notify schools that a student who CTE'd to their school still hold a waitlist position elsewhere?
Although they aren't likely to notify the school, they have indicated that they may contact applicants directly to clear the matter up. I have seen little evidence that they have done so.
What is more likely is that the schools where you are waitlisted will see that you have CTE'd elsewhere and release you from their waitlist themselves.
 
Does anyone know if the school you CTE to know whether you dropped all your waitlists or is it just assumed? I am on the waitlist for my top choice and the admissions office told me they were willing to accept candidates who already CTE to another school if spots open up, especially if I sent an LoI. Wondering if I can remain on just for my top choice. My CTE date is coming up.

n=1, but I had some friends get off the WL even though they CTE'd somewhere else already last cycle.
 
n=1, but I had some friends get off the WL even though they CTE'd somewhere else already last cycle.
Yeah my current WL told me they would still consider applicants who have already CTE’d elsewhere as long as one submitted an LoI. I just didn’t want to risk my current CTE school dropping me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tbh, I personally think they need to make all CTE's the same date. Makes it easier for applicants with an A and could potentially create another wave of A's.

just my .02
Same date or find a way to qualify a "desirability" of a school and stagger CTE dates based on that.

The school I am waitlisted at has a CTE date that has already passed but they make exceptions and allow people to extend their CTE date given they communicate with the school.
 
Has this year been notoriously slow/unfavorable for waitlist candidates or is it just me? Should we realistically still be hopeful till the CTE deadline approaches (Miller's is on 6/19 if I'm not mistaken)?

I had a miller grad who was a former admissions committee member tell me they got off the WL in June but I'm not sure how common that is?

I feel like I can't bring my mind to think about anything except this WL sometimes :/
 
I'm currently wailisted at 3 schools
Geisel (WL'ed in March) - CTE 7/1
Creighton (WL'ed in sept) - CTE 7/8
Albany (W:'ed in April) - CTE 7/8

Can some one breakdown what this means for me in terms of raising white flags?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On a waitlist for a school I want to go to but the school I have an A has a CTE date coming up on Monday. Can I CTE Monday night without penalty or is it 11:59 PM Sunday?
 
On a waitlist for a school I want to go to but the school I have an A has a CTE date coming up on Monday. Can I CTE Monday night without penalty or is it 11:59 PM Sunday?
I would recommend sending your top-choice school a note indicating your preference to attend their school, mention your deadline and ask if they are still considering you off the WL to take the deadline into consideration. This worked for one of my kid’s T20 WLs.
 
I would recommend sending your top-choice school a note indicating your preference to attend their school, mention your deadline and ask if they are still considering you off the WL to take the deadline into consideration. This worked for one of my kid’s T20 WLs.
Tried this and was told “we’ll keep this in mind” which is why I hope the CTE deadline is Monday night not Sunday night!
 
So if I need to sign an apartment lease ASAP to ensure I have somewhere to live next year should I just go ahead and withdraw from the waitlists or??? I know there’s like a 0.00001% chance of getting off but At this point in the slim event that it happened, getting an acceptance this late after signing a new lease and all that Jazz would just be a financial burden lmao.
 
So if I need to sign an apartment lease ASAP to ensure I have somewhere to live next year should I just go ahead and withdraw from the waitlists or??? I know there’s like a 0.00001% chance of getting off but At this point in the slim event that it happened, getting an acceptance this late after signing a new lease and all that Jazz would just be a financial burden lmao.

If you need to sign the lease then sign it. But don’t take yourself off the waitlists. The fee for breaking the lease is worth it if you are able to get into medical school or a more preferred medical school. Movement sometimes happens right before class starts, so it’s not over yet.
 
If you need to sign the lease then sign it. But don’t take yourself off the waitlists. The fee for breaking the lease is worth it if you are able to get into medical school or a more preferred medical school. Movement sometimes happens right before class starts, so it’s not over yet.
Just so we’re clear... by no means does every lease have a “fee” to break it. That’s the case in many apartment complexes but a leased may not have a way to break it so Be careful.
 
If you need to sign the lease then sign it. But don’t take yourself off the waitlists. The fee for breaking the lease is worth it if you are able to get into medical school or a more preferred medical school. Movement sometimes happens right before class starts, so it’s not over yet.
Just wanted to second this. Worst case, you lose your first month of rent and a security deposit but you get to go to a school that's possibly cheaper and/or better and worth those short-term losses!
 
I'm currently wailisted at 3 schools
Geisel (WL'ed in March) - CTE 7/1
Creighton (WL'ed in sept) - CTE 7/8
Albany (W:'ed in April) - CTE 7/8

Can some one breakdown what this means for me in terms of raising white flags?

Keep your fingers crossed for Albany--a number of higher-ranked schools have a CTE of 7/1, so it's possible you will see some movement off the waitlists of the lower-ranked schools after that. Have you been in touch with the admissions office to ask whether the class is oversubscribed?
 
What does it mean if you’ve been waitlisted for the past 6 months at a school and they interview other people within the last week and send those same interviewees an acceptance within a week.
Kind of what happened to me. Just means you’re low on the priority list. I think even if the waitlist is unranked, it is still ranked or stratified in some manner. They don’t mind having you in their class but they have a bunch of people they rather have first. Sorry that sounds harsh but that’s kind of how I see my situation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I CANT BELIEVE IT [emoji24]. I am happy to announce I have been ACCEPTED an hour ago. I am so thankful for you guys to have been such an amazing pillar of moral and emotional support. I need all of you to understand something. I’ve been on this forum for months reading people announce their acceptances. Wishing I was in their place. I had only one school offer me an interview. One waitlist. Horrible 499 MCAT score. 3.75 Biomedical Engineer GPA, 3.89 sGPA. Pretty good Extracurricular (research, athlete, etc). This is the best in state medical school we have. The other in state medical schools didn’t even give me a chance because of my MCAT score. Everyone told me not to apply because of how bad my MCAT was. I was on the waitlist for MONTHS. The admission told me they’ll only be offering 1-2 more spots AT MOST because this is the best in state school and everyone wanted to go here. I lost all hope, but today I surprisingly got the call while studying for the MCAT. I hope everyone of you get into the school you’re waitlisted at. Even if you don’t, you will next year. Remember being on the waitlist means you are as good as everyone who got accepted. You have something amazing about you that stood out while competing against some of the smartest people in the nation. One more year means nothing. No matter how old you are. 22-35+. I love all of y’all and if anyone tries to downplay your accomplishments... F them. You guys are all AMAZING, and I am sure if you made it to the waitlist; you will be accepted sooner or later whether this year or the next. Focus on your reapplication, and use this as fuel to drive you not just for next year but for the following years in medical school to prove everyone wrong!! Sorry my extra speech is over haha.


P.s. one piece of advice. Constantly find a way to bring your name into their admission committee. I probably emailed them 6-7 times from April to now. One letter of intent, one update, two emails asking a question, one email asking for an application feedback. When she called me she said, “your intent was very evident. It made me root for you.” I was borderline desperate, but idc I got in and I’m sure my name constantly being thrown at their face helped.
 
Last edited:
I CANT BELIEVE IT [emoji24]. I am happy to announce I have been ACCEPTED an hour ago. I am so thankful for you guys to have been such an amazing pillar of moral and emotional support. I need all of you to understand something. I’ve been on this forum for months reading people announce their acceptances. Wishing I was in their place. I had only one school offer me an interview. One waitlist. Horrible 499 MCAT score. 3.75 Biomedical Engineer GPA, 3.89 sGPA. Pretty good Extracurricular (research, athlete, etc). This is the best in state medical school we have. The other in state medical schools didn’t even give me a chance because of my MCAT score. Everyone told me not to apply because of how bad my MCAT was. I was on the waitlist for MONTHS. The admission told me they’ll only be offering 1-2 more spots AT MOST because this is the best in state school and everyone wanted to go here. I lost all hope, but today I surprisingly got the call while studying for the MCAT. I hope everyone of you get into the school you’re waitlisted at. Even if you don’t, you will next year. Remember being on the waitlist means you are as good as everyone who got accepted. You have something amazing about you that stood out while competing against some of the smartest people in the nation. One more year means nothing. No matter how old you are. 22-35+. I love all of y’all and if anyone tries to downplay your accomplishments... F them. You guys are all AMAZING, and I am sure if you made it to the waitlist; you will be accepted sooner or later whether this year or the next. Focus on your reapplication, and use this as fuel to drive you not just for next year but for the following years in medical school to prove everyone wrong!! Sorry my extra speech is over haha.


P.s. one piece of advice. Constantly find a way to bring your name into their admission committee. I probably emailed them 6-7 times from April to now. One letter of intent, one update, two emails asking a question, one email asking for an application feedback. When she called me she said, “your intent was very evident. It made me route for you.” I was borderline desperate, but idc I got in and I’m sure my name constantly being thrown at their face helped.


People are always saying don't annoy them, but I think it really does help for them to see your name! I get not sending multiple updates and letters (like a LOI every month is excessive), but sending emails for separate purposes like you did (questions, updates, LOI, app feedback) is not a bad route to take.
 
Acceptances are definitely slowing down but some were reported on SDN today and Friday at UCLA, Jefferson, Einstein, Georgetown, Drexel, Toledo, and Seton Hall. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of A's aren't being reported on here since people probably want to preserve their anonymity when only a handful of acceptances are given each wave. If anyone wants to stay anonymous and give us waitlisters some hope by reporting an A/what school/when, I will happily post it here anonymously if you dm me! 🙂

Edit: first anonymously dmed A reported at MCW
 
Last edited:
@gyngyn could emailing your interviewer rexpressing interest at this stage be a good idea? Not sure the line between too annoying/ aggressive vs nothing to loose at this point...