2020 Cycle Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have a CTE tomorrow. Is it worth it to send my preferred WL school a note in the portal that I need to CTE to my A school, when they've already sent an email out to all WLers addressing CTE deadlines at other schools and advising WLers to instead contact the A school for an extension? Wondering if it's worth anything really, but I really love my WL school. :(
I highly doubt you’ll be able to get a CTE extension because of a WL. That defeats the purpose of a CTE. I’ve heard of asking a school you’re WL at to keep you on the list even though you’ve CTEd.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I highly doubt you’ll be able to get a CTE extension because of a WL. That defeats the purpose of a CTE. I’ve heard of asking a school you’re WL at to keep you on the list even though you’ve CTEd.
Exactly, wasn't planning to ask for a CTE extension, despite my WL school's advice haha. Was wondering if I should still reach out to the WL school and tell them about my CTE as a hail Mary. Know the chances are exceedingly low but I hope we could all get some good news tomorrow. :(:xf:

Have a CTE tomorrow. Is it worth it to send my preferred WL school a note in the portal that I need to CTE to my A school, when they've already sent an email out to all WLers addressing CTE deadlines at other schools and advising WLers to instead contact the A school for an extension? Wondering if it's worth anything really, but I really love my WL school. :(
Since they have already told you what they recommend, I think sending them this note would just annoy them.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have choices, non are mutually exclusive...
...Contact the A school and ask for extension
...Contact WL school and ask for status update and notify of cte
...CTE but don’t withdraw WL, as I don’t think either will actually know, but you should verify this.

It appears waitlist movement is far behind last year.

Does anyone have any theories if it is just a lag due to this strange year with Covid-19 extensions,

or whether the new PTE/CTC system is allowing schools to grant fewer acceptances,

or?

Reactions: 6 users

Does anyone have any theories if it is just a lag due to this strange year with Covid-19 extensions,

or whether the new PTE/CTC system is allowing schools to grant fewer acceptances,

or?
Maybe waitlist movement is the same, but just people haven’t been reporting their A’s on SDN?

or?
I wasted the better part of last night going through last year’s movement in school-specific threads and in the big waitlist thread. I don’t think we’re “far behind”, unfortunately. Movement last year was minimally reported. Their only “waves” were the first week of May, then smaller waves the first half of June, and then the first twoish weeks of July.

My guess for IS mid and lower tiers: schools this cycle were much more conservative and conscious about who to accept and who to waitlist. CTEs were not being enforced last year by AMCAS (students stayed on WLs even after CTE dates. Adcoms couldn’t see *who* those students were, only that they had *x* # of students CTE/PTE holding waitlist spots. Same applicants then later committed elsewhere after previously CTEing) and schools needed more security this time around.

As such, schools really took advantage of the Feb19 option of seeing how many in their accepted class were CTE/PTE already, and adjusted for factors about applicant strengths/other IS schools with more or less prestige. Less total acceptances given as they aimed for more “hits” with true CTEs. Then schools erred on the side of picking students for the WL who didn’t already have offers elsewhere, or offers they knew they could beat, to act as safety seats to prevent sniping come July.

This is all coming from my perspective as to what I would do as an adcom at a school with a HPWL history (Like the one I’m patiently WL at).

With COVID, now, I think it’s anyone’s guess. I would imagine applicants are trying to get security sooner than later and not mess with WLs if they already have an A. I don’t think deferments are going to be as widespread of a thing as we all had hoped for. At least, I know as much as I’d like to meet everyone from the start too and whatever else is associated with first year etc, I value the safety of having a seat a helluva lot more. We also need to keep in mind that Adcoms have a whole new ballgame of a cycle to prep for and want this one done and off of their plate.

Ultimately, I think movement is going to be the same or even less this year than last. Seat security > everything else going on. Guess we’ll all know here in a month

• Hmm
I wasted the better part of last night going through last year’s movement in school-specific threads and in the big waitlist thread. I don’t think we’re “far behind”, unfortunately. Movement last year was minimally reported. Their only “waves” were the first week of May, then smaller waves the first half of June, and then the first twoish weeks of July.

My guess for IS mid and lower tiers: schools this cycle were much more conservative and conscious about who to accept and who to waitlist. CTEs were not being enforced last year by AMCAS (students stayed on WLs even after CTE dates. Adcoms couldn’t see *who* those students were, only that they had *x* # of students CTE/PTE holding waitlist spots. Same applicants then later committed elsewhere after previously CTEing) and schools needed more security this time around.

As such, schools really took advantage of the Feb19 option of seeing how many in their accepted class were CTE/PTE already, and adjusted for factors about applicant strengths/other IS schools with more or less prestige. Less total acceptances given as they aimed for more “hits” with true CTEs. Then schools erred on the side of picking students for the WL who didn’t already have offers elsewhere, or offers they knew they could beat, to act as safety seats to prevent sniping come July.

This is all coming from my perspective as to what I would do as an adcom at a school with a HPWL history (Like the one I’m patiently WL at).

With COVID, now, I think it’s anyone’s guess. I would imagine applicants are trying to get security sooner than later and not mess with WLs if they already have an A. I don’t think deferments are going to be as widespread of a thing as we all had hoped for. At least, I know as much as I’d like to meet everyone from the start too and whatever else is associated with first year etc, I value the safety of having a seat a helluva lot more. We also need to keep in mind that Adcoms have a whole new ballgame of a cycle to prep for and want this one done and off of their plate.

Ultimately, I think movement is going to be the same or even less this year than last. Seat security > everything else going on. Guess we’ll all know here in a month
But please, please, please let me be wrong. I want a tsunami of WL movement to happen for everyone.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users

Great logical analysis, but no offense, I hope it's wrong--just because I want to hang onto hope. I noticed for my prime WL school, at the inception of the post-May 1st waitlist, the numbers were a bit ahead of normal. Would that be true under your theory? But over time the list has been waning about 10 days earlier than last year. Of course, this is just one case. But, my possibly delusional hope is more people are emboldened to hang onto multiple acceptances longer as they wait to see if the first choice opens up. Just like what we're all doing. . . .

Suppose the interviewer was the one who sank your app? How would contacting him/her go over????
I differ from these opinions. I’ve posted this before. People have PM’d me and I’ve shared my thoughts. several people have been successful by doing some variation of what I did.
disclaimer:
I’m only one person so what has worked for me may not help or work for you but all I can tell you is I got off of 2 waitlists at very competitive schools.
@gyngyn or @Goro , looking for some advice. I'm PTE at a school, WL at my top choice. Fortunately my WL school starts sooner than my A school, so the timeline isn't an issue. Last communication with WL school was a letter of intent email in mid April. It appears as though WL movement JUST started this week for the school. I am anxious to get my name stirred back up in the adcom office, but don't have anything concrete to add to my file. They know they are my first choice and that I'd attend over my other acceptance. Do I send an email to the dean or stay quiet? If so, what do I say past "school x is still the best fit for me?"

n.b. They use an unranked WL, and specifically invite updates updates

Thank you!!

I messaged RJ McReady and followed his advice because I figured I had nothing to lose - worse case scenario they think I’m crazy and end result is the same. Take anyone’s general advice with a grain of salt because that is all it is - general. But be sure to hear out the suggestions of people with different opinions and experiences so you can weigh the options for yourself. You do yourself a disservice by making it this far and not finishing strong. I am eternally grateful to RJ because I followed his advice and got accepted off top choice.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Great logical analysis, but no offense, I hope it's wrong--just because I want to hang onto hope. I noticed for my prime WL school, at the inception of the post-May 1st waitlist, the numbers were a bit ahead of normal. Would that be true under your theory? But over time the list has been waning about 10 days earlier than last year. Of course, this is just one case. But, my possibly delusional hope is more people are emboldened to hang onto multiple acceptances longer as they wait to see if the first choice opens up. Just like what we're all doing. . . .
No offense taken! We all hope I’m wrong!

So I saw what appeared to be substantial movement at my WL school’s first week in May too. That could be from a variety of things like more people using SDN as a result of stay-at-home orders, or it was just a situation where they had an extra handful of seats immediately open May 1 because applicants had a better offer elsewhere. Either way, if my joy-killing assumptions are true, the majority of those WL seat offers turned into immediate CTEs; thus dampening future WL movement waves. Unless we’re talking Caribbean, schools can’t give out more seats than they actually have.

N=1: my WL school said when I called them that they hadn’t pulled anyone from their WL in June—which has NEVER happened before. Now, they could totally be lying to me as I don’t know where I’m placed on their ranking system. But, if they’re telling the truth, I think WL movement is nearly done for at this point.

The best chance for movement now might be once CTE-applicant hunting season begins and ends during the first two weeks of July. Schools are going to snipe applicants from others if there’s 0 repercussions like last year.

Idk. I say bring on the sniping and add some more thrill to 2020. Like, Rick Astley got Rick Rolled a few days ago. Anything could happen now.

Last edited:
No offense taken! We all hope I’m wrong!

So I saw what appeared to be substantial movement at my WL school’s first week in May too. That could be from a variety of things like more people using SDN as a result of stay-at-home orders, or it was just a situation where they had an extra handful of seats immediately open May 1 because applicants had a better offer elsewhere. Either way, if my joy-killing assumptions are true, the majority of those WL seat offers turned into immediate CTEs; thus dampening future WL movement waves. Unless we’re talking Caribbean, schools can’t give out more seats than they actually have.

N=1: my WL school said when I called them that they hadn’t pulled anyone from their WL in June—which has NEVER happened before. Now, they could totally be lying to me as I don’t know where I’m placed on their ranking system. But, if they’re telling the truth, I think WL movement is nearly done for at this point.

The best chance for movement now might be once CTE-applicant hunting season begins and ends during the first two weeks of July. Schools are going to snipe applicants from others if there’s 0 repercussions like last year.

Idk. I say bring on the sniping and add some more thrill to 2020. Like, Rick Astley got Rick Rolled a few days ago. Anything could happen now.
LOL! I never thought I'd be rooting for sniping.

Reactions: 1 user
I woke up to a missed phone call with a voicemail and I thought I recognized the area code as one of my schools.......I was wrong and it was from some gym I thought about joining months ago. :bigtears:

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted off the WL to an MD and DO today, all within the same hour! I sent a letter of interest/update to the MD admissions committees general email and sent a small paragraph of interest to an MD admissions committee member's email. Not sure if this played a factor, but it might've helped.

There still seems to be WL movement going on, so please don't lose hope. This thread has been so helpful during these tough times and I truly wish you all get accepted soon!

• Love
Reactions: 54 users
Hey guys, still on 3 WL. 2 of them have virtually no moment at all. I'm really praying the last works out. Y'all please pass over your lucky vibes my way :oops: :) If it doesn't workout, I want to submit my reapplication. I just wanted to know, if i have fee assistance and submit my application for verification without picking all schools. Will it still be the lowered price $40 if I want to add more schools after?

Hey guys, still on 3 WL. 2 of them have virtually no moment at all. I'm really praying the last works out. Y'all please pass over your lucky vibes my way :oops: :) If it doesn't workout, I want to submit my reapplication. I just wanted to know, if i have fee assistance and submit my application for verification without picking all schools. Will it still be the lowered price $40 if I want to add more schools after?
I would submit it quickly!! It’s getting late in June and things are moving slowly with verification and transcripts

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the waitlist about an hour ago! I'm honestly still in shock!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 45 users
I’ve heard people say if you submit before your FAP gets approved you can’t use it on primaries but should still be able to use it to get fees waived for secondaries

Long time lurker here. Accepted off the WL today!!! Pretty excited. Was sitting on 3 WLs and one of those turned into an A. Good luck to everyone on here. Hoping the July movement treats ya well.

• Love
Reactions: 35 users
Another slow week for WL movement but there were acceptances reported on the SDN threads of Albany, Jefferson, Drexel, and North East Ohio this week. At least 3 people reported on SDN that they received deferred acceptances from USC Keck's WL as well. Also an anonymous A was reported to me at the University of Missouri-Columbia today.

I know tracking GroupMe additions is not the most reliable indicator of WL movement but there were at least 3 GroupMe additions at Cornell and Wayne State reported on SDN too earlier this week.

Just a friendly reminder that if anyone wants to anonymously inform the community of WL movement by dming me what school they were accepted to and when, I will happily share it with fellow WLers here :) Here's to hoping more WL movement is headed our way~~

Edited to add: A's sent out at Brown and Wayne State this week as well!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users
Another slow week for WL movement but there were acceptances reported on the SDN threads of Albany, Jefferson, Drexel, and North East Ohio this week. At least 3 people reported on SDN that they received deferred acceptances from USC Keck's WL as well. Also an anonymous A was reported to me at the University of Missouri-Columbia today.

I know tracking GroupMe additions is not the most reliable indicator of WL movement but there were at least 3 GroupMe additions at Cornell and Wayne State reported on SDN too earlier this week.

Just a friendly reminder that if anyone wants to anonymously inform the community of WL movement by dming me what school they were accepted to and when, I will happily share it with fellow WLers here :) Here's to hoping more WL movement is headed our way~~
These moments are all pre CTE right?

GroupMe additions? Come on now...

How common are these deferred acceptances from the WL? The school I am WL has had really sad WL movement and this sounds like a dream come true.

• Hmm
Just emailed my first choice/dream school waitlist to let them know the CTE date for another school I was accepted to is soon. Reiterated my love for the school and whatnot. They told me there has been very little/no movement on the waitlist ):
They told me I can send an update to their admissions email, but COVID made me lose both my jobs so....I guess I'll just make it a letter of intent?

Reactions: 5 users
If there’s a person on this thread who deserves that A, it’s you!!!!!!! :D :) :love: :clap: (Seen so many of your posts on this thread and have been silently cheering ya on!!)
Aww thank you so much!! Everyone on this thread deserves that A. You all will be excellent doctors one day!

Reactions: 11 users
Just emailed my first choice/dream school waitlist to let them know the CTE date for another school I was accepted to is soon. Reiterated my love for the school and whatnot. They told me there has been very little/no movement on the waitlist ):
They told me I can send an update to their admissions email, but COVID made me lose both my jobs so....I guess I'll just make it a letter of intent?

LSU-NO?

Long time lurker on this thread. I was putting the finishing touches on my primary when I got the acceptance call from one of my waitlists today. I was in full reapp mode and just secured a gap year job that I was going to start Monday. It still doesn’t feel real but I’m so incredibly grateful and excited to be pursuing this longtime dream and I want to thank everyone on this thread for all the positivity and good vibes these past few months! To those of you still waiting, do not lose hope! I’m rooting for you all!

• Love
Reactions: 54 users
Long time lurker on this thread. I was putting the finishing touches on my primary when I got the acceptance call from one of my waitlists today. I was in full reapp mode and just secured a gap year job that I was going to start Monday. It still doesn’t feel real but I’m so incredibly grateful and excited to be pursuing this longtime dream and I want to thank everyone on this thread for all the positivity and good vibes these past few months! To those of you still waiting, do not lose hope! I’m rooting for you all!

Yesssss!!! Keep the A’s coming!!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing school name?

I've been on this thread since February, but never wanted to say anything because I really didn't have much hope. After applying to 27 MD's and 4 DO's, I got 2 DO interviews and 1 MD. Got 1 DO A, and got WL at my 1 MD school and truly felt heart broken - thought I missed my chance even though the interview went so well. Got the email 3 weeks ago for the MD school (sorry this is such a late school) that I got accepted!!!! Honestly thought it was over because WL movement seemed completely dead. Just to let you guys know, after getting WL, I sent an update letter, additional rec letter, and a letter of intent. I even emailed them just to make sure they had all my materials. To anyone reading this, don't give up!

SO excited - MD soon to be, and I will be praying for you all!

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
I've been on this thread since February, but never wanted to say anything because I really didn't have much hope. After applying to 27 MD's and 4 DO's, I got 2 DO interviews and 1 MD. Got 1 DO A, and got WL at my 1 MD school and truly felt heart broken - thought I missed my chance even though the interview went so well. Got the email 3 weeks ago for the MD school (sorry this is such a late school) that I got accepted!!!! Honestly thought it was over because WL movement seemed completely dead. Just to let you guys know, after getting WL, I sent an update letter, additional rec letter, and a letter of intent. I even emailed them just to make sure they had all my materials. To anyone reading this, don't give up!

SO excited - MD soon to be, and I will be praying for you all!

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
A little spark of hope to start this week: there were WL acceptances reported on Friday at Virginia and Morehouse. Hopefully with the end of June CTE deadlines passing we'll see a significant trickle of movement in the coming days ~

Reactions: 23 users
So in a dramatic turn of events, I was actually accepted off my top choice last week after nearly 10 months of silently waiting in agony. BUT I just turned them down for a school closer to home. My top choice was in NYC and I just couldn't justify paying NYC prices just to sit in my 2k rent apartment, paying 100K overall and stare at my laptop screen as classes are all online. This journey has truly tested my resilience and I feel I have made a great character arc. I wanted something so bad, but then once I got it, I realize that I was more into the chase and not the final destination. If COVID had not happened, I would have chosen NYC but that place is just not the same as when I interviewed pre pandemic so I had no choice but to withdraw. Its like having all this delicious food in front of you, but you have no teeth to eat it and the food goes to waste. Anyway, thank you to everyone on this thread that showed support in my previous posts. This cycle that I would describe as nothing short of mental torture has finally come to an end for me!

• Love
Reactions: 27 users
So in a dramatic turn of events, I was actually accepted off my top choice last week after nearly 10 months of silently waiting in agony. BUT I just turned them down for a school closer to home. My top choice was in NYC and I just couldn't justify paying NYC prices just to sit in my 2k rent apartment, paying 100K overall and stare at my laptop screen as classes are all online. This journey has truly tested my resilience and I feel I have made a great character arc. I wanted something so bad, but then once I got it, I realize that I was more into the chase and not the final destination. If COVID had not happened, I would have chosen NYC but that place is just not the same as when I interviewed pre pandemic so I had no choice but to withdraw. Its like having all this delicious food in front of you, but you have no teeth to eat it and the food goes to waste. Anyway, thank you to everyone on this thread that showed support in my previous posts. This cycle that I would describe as nothing short of mental torture has finally come to an end for me!
Was that NYIT or Touro? Will you be attending PCOM-GA? Good luck bro!

Last edited:
Waitlist movement on SDN was reported this morning at Wright State and yesterday at Temple and UVermont. I also received an anonymous tip that there was WL movement at Einstein last week. If anyone wants to share their A with the WL support community, feel free to DM me and I can post it for you anonymously~

Reactions: 25 users
I got the call off the waitlist today! It was the only school I applied to last cycle, super late (like complete in late October), kind of just to see what would happen. Already submitted my 2021 app, but this is the better, more unexpected outcome! Good luck! :cat:

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 30 users
Checking in with a single WL from last cycle. Really hoping to get a decision before spending money on the app cycle. The CTE is the same day that AMCAS transmits applications... :cryi:

• Sad
Does anyone know if your chances to a particular school is less if you reapply after being on their WL? Because they didn’t accept you the first time, does it somehow lower your chances in their view?

Does anyone know if your chances to a particular school is less if you reapply after being on their WL? Because they didn’t accept you the first time, does it somehow lower your chances in their view?
If you’ve made improvements to your app then your chances will be higher. They already liked you enough to interview you and place you on a waitlist (which means they would want you to go to their school if their was room). Schools are going to want to see improvement and growth in the past year though. Don’t expect to send the same application and expect to get in.

Reactions: 5 users
With Covid, a lot of my volunteer and clinical work will be less than I would have wanted. I’m trying to do virtual and do whatever possible, but not sure my application is going to show much growth. Hopefully things open up and I guess the best I could do is update letters.

With Covid, a lot of my volunteer and clinical work will be less than I would have wanted. I’m trying to do virtual and do whatever possible, but not sure my application is going to show much growth. Hopefully things open up and I guess the best I could do is update letters.
Same here! I'm planning to send updated let's about 3 months after applying and then subsequent letters too

So how does the CTE work ? does that mean those who have acceptances and did not CTE loose their spot? Or they get extra days to decide after CTE ?

And does that mean there should be a significant movement after the CTE dates because it would mean they either accept or withdraw which would make the waitlist movement move?

So how does the CTE work ? does that mean those who have acceptances and did not CTE loose their spot? Or they get extra days to decide after CTE ?

And does that mean there should be a significant movement after the CTE dates because it would mean they either accept or withdraw which would make the waitlist movement move?
No, based on my understanding from the school where I WL, they first contact those who did not CTE by the deadline and maybe give them a few weeks in deciding, they did this for PTE date as well

I think it’s school specific honestly since AAMC guidelines are for the most part just strongly recommended and not really enforced. I saw that some schools were still okay with applicants staying on their waitlist even if they have to CTE elsewhere, some are strict and even if you don’t formally withdraw from a WL they’ll kick you off once you CTE, and my school specifically told me that prolonging my CTE past their deadline would not put me at risk of losing my seat (in written email format so I’m confident it’s not a lie lol). So best bet is to contact your school directly regarding policy if anything.

I think it’s school specific honestly since AAMC guidelines are for the most part just strongly recommended and not really enforced. I saw that some schools were still okay with applicants staying on their waitlist even if they have to CTE elsewhere, some are strict and even if you don’t formally withdraw from a WL they’ll kick you off once you CTE, and my school specifically told me that prolonging my CTE past their deadline would not put me at risk of losing my seat (in written email format so I’m confident it’s not a lie lol). So best bet is to contact your school directly regarding policy if anything.
Does this mean you asked the school that you had to cte at if you could extend the deadline?

Hi guys if I commit to enroll to a school how long do I have to withdraw my acceptance from another school?