2020 Cycle Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does it mean if you’ve been waitlisted for the past 6 months at a school and they interview other people within the last week and send those same interviewees an acceptance within a week.
it means you should explode
:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I CANT BELIEVE IT . I am happy to announce I have been ACCEPTED an hour ago. I am so thankful for you guys to have been such an amazing pillar of moral and emotional support. I need all of you to understand something. I’ve been on this forum for months reading people announce their acceptances. Wishing I was in their place. I had only one school offer me an interview. One waitlist. Horrible 499 MCAT score. 3.75 Biomedical Engineer GPA, 3.89 sGPA. Pretty good Extracurricular (research, athlete, etc). This is the best in state medical school we have. The other in state medical schools didn’t even give me a chance because of my MCAT score. Everyone told me not to apply because of how bad my MCAT was. I was on the waitlist for MONTHS. The admission told me they’ll only be offering 1-2 more spots AT MOST because this is the best in state school and everyone wanted to go here. I lost all hope, but today I surprisingly got the call while studying for the MCAT. I hope everyone of you get into the school you’re waitlisted at. Even if you don’t, you will next year. Remember being on the waitlist means you are as good as everyone who got accepted. You have something amazing about you that stood out while competing against some of the smartest people in the nation. One more year means nothing. No matter how old you are. 22-35+. I love all of y’all and if anyone tries to downplay your accomplishments... F them. You guys are all AMAZING, and I am sure if you made it to the waitlist; you will be accepted sooner or later whether this year or the next. Focus on your reapplication, and use this as fuel to drive you not just for next year but for the following years in medical school to prove everyone wrong!! Sorry my extra speech is over haha.

P.s. one piece of advice. Constantly find a way to bring your name into their admission committee. I probably emailed them 6-7 times from April to now. One letter of intent, one update, two emails asking a question, one email asking for an application feedback. When she called me she said, “your intent was very evident. It made me root for you.” I was borderline desperate, but idc I got in and I’m sure my name constantly being thrown at their face helped.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 75 users
I CANT BELIEVE IT . I am happy to announce I have been ACCEPTED an hour ago. I am so thankful for you guys to have been such an amazing pillar of moral and emotional support. I need all of you to understand something. I’ve been on this forum for months reading people announce their acceptances. Wishing I was in their place. I had only one school offer me an interview. One waitlist. Horrible 499 MCAT score. 3.75 Biomedical Engineer GPA, 3.89 sGPA. Pretty good Extracurricular (research, athlete, etc). This is the best in state medical school we have. The other in state medical schools didn’t even give me a chance because of my MCAT score. Everyone told me not to apply because of how bad my MCAT was. I was on the waitlist for MONTHS. The admission told me they’ll only be offering 1-2 more spots AT MOST because this is the best in state school and everyone wanted to go here. I lost all hope, but today I surprisingly got the call while studying for the MCAT. I hope everyone of you get into the school you’re waitlisted at. Even if you don’t, you will next year. Remember being on the waitlist means you are as good as everyone who got accepted. You have something amazing about you that stood out while competing against some of the smartest people in the nation. One more year means nothing. No matter how old you are. 22-35+. I love all of y’all and if anyone tries to downplay your accomplishments... F them. You guys are all AMAZING, and I am sure if you made it to the waitlist; you will be accepted sooner or later whether this year or the next. Focus on your reapplication, and use this as fuel to drive you not just for next year but for the following years in medical school to prove everyone wrong!! Sorry my extra speech is over haha.

P.s. one piece of advice. Constantly find a way to bring your name into their admission committee. I probably emailed them 6-7 times from April to now. One letter of intent, one update, two emails asking a question, one email asking for an application feedback. When she called me she said, “your intent was very evident. It made me route for you.” I was borderline desperate, but idc I got in and I’m sure my name constantly being thrown at their face helped.

People are always saying don't annoy them, but I think it really does help for them to see your name! I get not sending multiple updates and letters (like a LOI every month is excessive), but sending emails for separate purposes like you did (questions, updates, LOI, app feedback) is not a bad route to take.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Acceptances are definitely slowing down but some were reported on SDN today and Friday at UCLA, Jefferson, Einstein, Georgetown, Drexel, Toledo, and Seton Hall. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of A's aren't being reported on here since people probably want to preserve their anonymity when only a handful of acceptances are given each wave. If anyone wants to stay anonymous and give us waitlisters some hope by reporting an A/what school/when, I will happily post it here anonymously if you dm me! :)

Edit: first anonymously dmed A reported at MCW

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
@gyngyn could emailing your interviewer rexpressing interest at this stage be a good idea? Not sure the line between too annoying/ aggressive vs nothing to loose at this point...

Reactions: 1 user
Acceptances are definitely slowing down but some were reported on SDN today and Friday at UCLA, Jefferson, Einstein, Georgetown, Toledo, and Seton Hall. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of A's aren't being reported on here since people probably want to preserve their anonymity when only a handful of acceptances are given each wave. If anyone wants to stay anonymous and give us waitlisters some hope by reporting an A/what school/when, I will happily post it here anonymously if you dm me! :)
This seems much more true this year versus last year’s school specific threads.

@gyngyn could emailing your interviewer rexpressing interest at this stage be a good idea? Not sure the line between too annoying/ aggressive vs nothing to loose at this point...
You email the admissions office, not your interviewer, when you wish to communicate with the school. This is especially true when one has been waitlisted or rejected.

You email the admissions office, not your interviewer, when you wish to communicate with the school. This is especially true when one has been waitlisted or rejected.

Thank you, yes I did email the admissions office as well. Was just wondering more about reaching out to interviewer as a supplement. Like if you seemed to connect well (replied good thank you note) in case they decide to remention you or something? Unsure where the line is regarding desperate vs persistent :(

Thank you, yes I did email the admissions office as well. Was just wondering more about reaching out to interviewer as a supplement. Like if you seemed to connect well (replied good thank you note) in case they decide to remention you or something? Unsure where the line is regarding desperate vs persistent :(
The fact that you are waitlisted and contacting them is inherently awkward. Making someone feel awkward or vulnerable is not the desired effect of your communication.

P.s. one piece of advice. Constantly find a way to bring your name into their admission committee. I probably emailed them 6-7 times from April to now. One letter of intent, one update, two emails asking a question, one email asking for an application feedback. When she called me she said, “your intent was very evident. It made me root for you.” I was borderline desperate, but idc I got in and I’m sure my name constantly being thrown at their face helped.
Wow congratulations!!!! This is honestly so inspiring and made my day. I wish you the best of luck with everything!!!

Reactions: 3 users
The fact that you are waitlisted and contacting them is inherently awkward. Making someone feel awkward or vulnerable is not the desired effect of your communication.

thank u so much this definitely makes sense- dodged a bullet

Reactions: 4 users
Suppose the interviewer was the one who sank your app? How would contacting him/her go over????

• Haha
Suppose the interviewer was the one who sank your app? How would contacting him/her go over????

You removed part of the question, but I did get an answer to my original question and decided against it already (see above) so I’m good, but thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted off the waitlist today for my top choice! I am so grateful for all of the support and advice that I have received from this forum, and this long journey is over for another one to begin :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 29 users
I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt, since s/he already did the worst thing that could happen! :)

P.S. I'm not advocating it for the reason @gyngyn already stated, but the fact that the interviewer might have been the one who sank an app doesn't seem like a reason not to reach out. In that case, it would be awkward for the candidate, but whatever there is to lose has already been lost at that point, so what more is there to lose?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Another slow day but SDN acceptance reported today at Wake Forest and Tulane as well as another anonymously reported A at UCF from the OOS list~

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
I was accepted off the waitlist today for my top choice! I am so grateful for all of the support and advice that I have received from this forum, and this long journey is over for another one to begin :)

Congrats - remember to release any other schools to free up the bottleneck for other WL folks!

Reactions: 5 users
I have already withdrawn from my other waitlists and am in the process of withdrawing from my acceptance.
Congrats - remember to release any other schools to free up the bottleneck for other WL folks!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt, since s/he already did the worst thing that could happen! :)

P.S. I'm not advocating it for the reason @gyngyn already stated, but the fact that the interviewer might have been the one who sank an app doesn't seem like a reason not to reach out. In that case, it would be awkward for the candidate, but whatever there is to lose has already been lost at that point, so what more is there to lose?
Uh I think it coudl definitely hurt. Any action you take that goes outside the normal channels of communication is not only inappropriate but can be view very negatively. thats what people are MISSING. There ARE bad things that can happen.

Uh I think it coudl definitely hurt. Any action you take that goes outside the normal channels of communication is not only inappropriate but can be view very negatively. thats what people are MISSING. There ARE bad things that can happen.

I differ from these opinions. I’ve posted this before. People have PM’d me and I’ve shared my thoughts. several people have been successful by doing some variation of what I did.
disclaimer:
I’m only one person so what has worked for me may not help or work for you but all I can tell you is I got off of 2 waitlists at very competitive schools.

Reactions: 5 users
I couldn't hold out any longer, was offered a job that I just couldn't pass up on and needed to move on an apartment ASAP. Was time I move on with my new plans for this year, focus on just MCAT studying, and to reapply.... therefore withdrew from my remaining waitlists. Best of luck to everyone still holding out!! I wish you all the best and thank you for the support the last few months. SDN ill see you again next May for the reapp! :)

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone. So I have been accepted to school A, recently got off the waitlist at school B, and am still waiting on top choice school C. School C is my top choice and one of the big reasons that I have communicated is due to proximity to home (not the only, but a big one). School B is also close by to home, but school A is not. My question is, will school C be able to find out if I was accepted to School B? I do want to stay close to home and school C is still my top choice, but after speaking with some students I do believe school A is a better fit than school for different reasons.

I know the MAR doesn’t go out, but I don’t know if there are any AAMC guidelines preventing them from reaching out to peer institutions directly about a student informally?

Hi everyone. So I have been accepted to school A, recently got off the waitlist at school B, and am still waiting on top choice school C. School C is my top choice and one of the big reasons that I have communicated is due to proximity to home (not the only, but a big one). School B is also close by to home, but school A is not. My question is, will school C be able to find out if I was accepted to School B? I do want to stay close to home and school C is still my top choice, but after speaking with some students I do believe school A is a better fit than school for different reasons.

I know the MAR doesn’t go out, but I don’t know if there are any AAMC guidelines preventing them from reaching out to peer institutions directly about a student informally?
Looking at last year's thread and @gyngyn's responses, schools do not see your name, nor do they see which school you have PTE or CTE'd to unless its their own. It also seems that schools can see if people that have PTE or CTE'd to their school are still on waitlists, but again they don't know who those students are by name, nor which schools they are waitlisted at. If you switch your PTE to School B, School C will only see that you are still PTE'd to a school but won't know the name of that school so you should be safe to do so if you would like to choose School B over School A.

Also to everyone who might be losing hope, from last year's thread there was quite some movement early to mid July, and a few acceptances a week before classes started. My guess is because since these traffic rules are lame, people can hold multiple acceptances after April 30 with no enforcement of keeping their deposit at one school. As some CTE deadlines pass, they'll finally lose their spot at the other schools therefore opening up an opportunity to pull from the waitlist again. I think we are just in limbo until then, but who really knows.

Looking at last year's thread and @gyngyn's responses, schools do not see your name, nor do they see which school you have PTE or CTE'd to unless its their own. It also seems that schools can see if people that have PTE or CTE'd to their school are still on waitlists, but again they don't know who those students are by name, nor which schools they are waitlisted at. If you switch your PTE to School B, School C will only see that you are still PTE'd to a school but won't know the name of that school so you should be safe to do so if you would like to choose School B over School A.

Also to everyone who might be losing hope, from last year's thread there was quite some movement early to mid July, and a few acceptances a week before classes started. My guess is because since these traffic rules are lame, people can hold multiple acceptances after April 30 with no enforcement of keeping their deposit at one school. As some CTE deadlines pass, they'll finally lose their spot at the other schools therefore opening up an opportunity to pull from the waitlist again. I think we are just in limbo until then, but who really knows.
Schools cannot see if applicants are on the waitlist at other schools.
They can see if you have PTE'd or CTE'd, though.

Last edited:
This may sound very silly, but I really just need some reality check because I feel so exhausted and defeated. 1 WL and no A 2019-2020. It's already third week of June. I am still working on my PS edits and I was hoping to submit my reapp this Friday. Am I already too late into this cycle?

This may sound very silly, but I really just need some reality check because I feel so exhausted and defeated. 1 WL and no A 2019-2020. It's already third week of June. I am still working on my PS edits and I was hoping to submit my reapp this Friday. Am I already too late into this cycle?
Nah bro you be good. I suspect your app might get verified and sent out by mid July which isn't too late at all. Just work hella hard on those secondaries and try to get them in within a few days of receiving them.

PS I'm also on the same boat. Just finished PS today after many edits and will finalize work/activities by Friday for reapp

No, it's not too late. Good luck!

The CTE for the school I'm WL'ed at is tomorrow preparing to officially raise my white flag +pity+

• Wow
  • Sad
The CTE for the school I'm WL'ed at is tomorrow preparing to officially raise my white flag +pity+
Shouldnt that mean people that have more than one A should choose 1 school? That means people with A's at your school can withdraw and you'll get a chance.....if thats what it means. I'm on 2 WLs and they both said that the closer to the CTE date the more As will be sent as people withdraw.

Also, one of the schools sent a huge batch of Rs from the WL but kept a few on the WL (including me). Any idea what that meant? Will we get As? Idk any insight would be amazing! Thx

Shouldnt that mean people that have more than one A should choose 1 school? That means people with A's at your school can withdraw and you'll get a chance.....if thats what it means. I'm on 2 WLs and they both said that the closer to the CTE date the more As will be sent as people withdraw.

Also, one of the schools sent a huge batch of Rs from the WL but kept a few on the WL (including me). Any idea what that meant? Will we get As? Idk any insight would be amazing! Thx
They’re definitely going to keep more on the WL than they think seats will open up. So I’m guessing you have like a 50% chance at this point. But that’s literally just my own opinion. Your chances are definitely better than they were (or the same but now you know your chances are decent lol)

Ahhh Wayne State, please come through. Thanks in advance :rofl:

@gyngyn or @Goro , looking for some advice. I'm PTE at a school, WL at my top choice. Fortunately my WL school starts sooner than my A school, so the timeline isn't an issue. Last communication with WL school was a letter of intent email in mid April. It appears as though WL movement JUST started this week for the school. I am anxious to get my name stirred back up in the adcom office, but don't have anything concrete to add to my file. They know they are my first choice and that I'd attend over my other acceptance. Do I send an email to the dean or stay quiet? If so, what do I say past "school x is still the best fit for me?"

n.b. They use an unranked WL, and specifically invite updates updates

Thank you!!

They’re definitely going to keep more on the WL than they think seats will open up. So I’m guessing you have like a 50% chance at this point. But that’s literally just my own opinion. Your chances are definitely better than they were (or the same but now you know your chances are decent lol)
Well the dean at my school said chances were minimal anyway, so I was just using the CTE deadline to soften the blow of not getting in by saying that there would be more movement around deadline (there hasn't). Now I have accepted that it's probably not happening regardless of the CTE.
RIP 2019-2020 cycle.

@gyngyn or @Goro , looking for some advice. I'm PTE at a school, WL at my top choice. Fortunately my WL school starts sooner than my A school, so the timeline isn't an issue. Last communication with WL school was a letter of intent email in mid April. It appears as though WL movement JUST started this week for the school. I am anxious to get my name stirred back up in the adcom office, but don't have anything concrete to add to my file. They know they are my first choice and that I'd attend over my other acceptance. Do I send an email to the dean or stay quiet? The school specifically invites updates. If so, what do I say past "school x is still the best fit for me?"

n.b. They are use an unranked WL

Thank you!!
If you have already told them that you would drop everything to attend there really isn't anything to add...

A few more acceptances were reported on SDN today and yesterday at UCSD, Einstein, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, and CUSM. Hopefully more movement is coming as CTE dates approach :)
If anyone here wants to maintain their anonymity and give those of us left in the WL crew some hope, I can anonymously post your A here for you if you tell me what school/when the A was received.

Reactions: 14 users
@gyngyn or @Goro , looking for some advice. I'm PTE at a school, WL at my top choice. Fortunately my WL school starts sooner than my A school, so the timeline isn't an issue. Last communication with WL school was a letter of intent email in mid April. It appears as though WL movement JUST started this week for the school. I am anxious to get my name stirred back up in the adcom office, but don't have anything concrete to add to my file. They know they are my first choice and that I'd attend over my other acceptance. Do I send an email to the dean or stay quiet? If so, what do I say past "school x is still the best fit for me?"

n.b. They use an unranked WL, and specifically invite updates updates

Thank you!!
They already know you want to go there. IF you have an update, send one in. A love letter is not an update.

In the mean time,. get ready for attending your A school.

And congrats on the accept. regardless of where you go, in four years, you'll be a doctor!
Now read this:

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone else have vivid fantasies about getting in off a waitlist and getting to tell your family and friends you did it? No? Just me? :(

• Sad
Reactions: 32 users
Anyone else have vivid fantasies about getting in off a waitlist and getting to tell your family and friends you did it? No? Just me? :(

I've been doing that since my first interview in October...

The CTE deadline for my school was moved from 6/1 to 6/15 but it's been radio silent for those on SDN since the first CTE deadline. I'm so tempted to wave the white flag and just withdraw from the WL because this waiting game is torture, but I also know that I wouldn't forgive myself on the off chance that there is a tiny chance left.

The more desperate I get the more I feel like I won't get it.

The way I imagine it is that I am tears and posting on this thread that it happened.
Every time I open my email and when I get up in the morning and check for missed phone calls, I imagine seeing the email/voicemail and crying and calling my family and getting to celebrate.

Reactions: 10 users
Every time I open my email and when I get up in the morning and check for missed phone calls, I imagine seeing the email/voicemail and crying and calling my family and getting to celebrate.
Same :(

Don't give up yet! I think the CTE deadline means that a spot or two may open up!

Reactions: 7 users
I would recommend sending your top-choice school a note indicating your preference to attend their school, mention your deadline and ask if they are still considering you off the WL to take the deadline into consideration. This worked for one of my kid’s T20 WLs.

Have a CTE tomorrow. Is it worth it to send my preferred WL school a note in the portal that I need to CTE to my A school, when they've already sent an email out to all WLers addressing CTE deadlines at other schools and advising WLers to instead contact the A school for an extension? Wondering if it's worth anything really, but I really love my WL school. :(