2021 Personal Statement Readers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockatiel

Woke chihuahua
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a slight demand for PS readers that I'm sure will only increase. I know it's early, but threads can always be bumped :) I'll use the instructions from last year.

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Example:
Username | Vet student | focus on grammar/readability/content/etc | any other pertinent info

CURRENT READERS

rockatiel | accepted class of 2020| I would really like to make sure you guys follow the prompt. Seems small but it can be a big deal! I can check for grammar, spelling, and all of that too, of course.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
There's a slight demand for PS readers that I'm sure will only increase. I know it's early, but threads can always be bumped :) I'll use the instructions from last year.

2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Example:
Username | Vet student | focus on grammar/readability/content/etc | any other pertinent info

CURRENT READERS

rockatiel | accepted class of 2020| I would really like to make sure you guys follow the prompt. Seems small but it can be a big deal! I can check for grammar, spelling, and all of that too, of course.

ketoone | Vet student | I can help out with pretty much anything, but am especially proficient with the mechanics: spelling, grammar, basic flow, sentence structure/variety, etc. I'm also willing to provide pointers on how to trim the fat in your statement so that it doesn't exceed the VMCAS character limit (more difficult than it sounds!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

Example:

CURRENT READERS

ketoone | Vet student, accepted | I can help out with pretty much anything, but am especially proficient with the mechanical side of editing: spelling, grammar, basic flow, sentence structure/variety, etc. I'm also willing to provide pointers on how to trim the fat in your statement so that it doesn't exceed the VMCAS character limit (more difficult than it sounds!).

Alohacat319 | Class of 2020, Vet student | happy to help with whatever someone needs, especially grammar, vocabulary, rewording, etc. I will be completely honest and tell it like it is. I'm not mean, but if you are sensitive to criticism, I won't be your best option.

Members don't see this ad :)

Example:

CURRENT READERS

ketoone | Vet student, accepted | I can help out with pretty much anything, but am especially proficient with the mechanical side of editing: spelling, grammar, basic flow, sentence structure/variety, etc. I'm also willing to provide pointers on how to trim the fat in your statement so that it doesn't exceed the VMCAS character limit (more difficult than it sounds!).

Alohacat319 | Class of 2020, Vet student | happy to help with whatever someone needs, especially grammar, vocabulary, rewording, etc. I will be completely honest and tell it like it is. I'm not mean, but if you are sensitive to criticism, I won't be your best option.
emoji6.png

lilylilac | Vet student, Class of 2020; PhD (dissertation, 3 first author pubs, 1 other pub, 1 pub under review, grant applications) | I can help with pretty much every aspect, including organization, flow, cutting it down, grammar, spelling

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

lilylilac | Vet student, Class of 2020; PhD (dissertation, 3 first author pubs, 1 other pub, 1 pub under review, grant applications) | I can help with pretty much every aspect, including organization, flow, cutting it down, grammar, spelling

Spike907 | Class of 2020 | I can help with anything and everything. Writing is my other passion. I received lots of positive feedback about my own PS and can help you make yours awesome! If you want someone to just bounce ideas off of, totally edit a complete paper, or anything in between, sign me up!

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

Spike907 | Class of 2020 | I can help with anything and everything. Writing is my other passion. I received lots of positive feedback about my own PS and can help you make yours awesome! If you want someone to just bounce ideas off of, totally edit a complete paper, or anything in between, sign me up!

WildZoo | class of 2020 | focus on anything you like at any stage in the writing process | I have 4 years of experience in critiquing others' writing (English Writing major), and helped a good number of applicants with their personal statements last cycle. I don't sugar coat, but I will be constructive in all of my criticism. And I am always willing to see multiple drafts! I did just get bumped up to full time at work so it may take me a week to get to your draft, and probably more as the cycle goes along and more people are asking for help. I will give you a timetable though and will stick to it.

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

WildZoo | class of 2020 | focus on anything you like at any stage in the writing process | I have 4 years of experience in critiquing others' writing (English Writing major), and helped a good number of applicants with their personal statements last cycle. I don't sugar coat, but I will be constructive in all of my criticism. And I am always willing to see multiple drafts! I did just get bumped up to full time at work so it may take me a week to get to your draft, and probably more as the cycle goes along and more people are asking for help. I will give you a timetable though and will stick to it.

batsenecal | Class of 2020 | Willing to read what you have, bounce ideas off of, grammar, spelling, etc. I'll be available to do this at least until June 30. I would possibly be able to the second half and through August.

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

batsenecal | Class of 2020 | Willing to read what you have, bounce ideas off of, grammar, spelling, etc. I'll be available to do this at least until June 30. I would possibly be able to the second half and through August.

vetmedhead | Class of 2021 (MPH/DVM) | Willing to look over pretty much anything, though my preference is content/ideas over copy editing (not that I can't do both!). Anyone looking for feedback on essays in supplemental applications or for essays specific to dual degree programs can also feel free to hit me up. I'll be taking classes this summer, but I'm good at replying to emails and can put together a timeline of when to expect things from me. I also have a lot of experience with creative writing and in general would say that I'm a strong writer.

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

vetmedhead | Class of 2021 (MPH/DVM) | Willing to look over pretty much anything, though my preference is content/ideas over copy editing (not that I can't do both!). Anyone looking for feedback on essays in supplemental applications or for essays specific to dual degree programs can also feel free to hit me up. I'll be taking classes this summer, but I'm good at replying to emails and can put together a timeline of when to expect things from me. I also have a lot of experience with creative writing and in general would say that I'm a strong writer.

WTF / Class of 2010, DVM, DACVP, soon-to-be PhD, multiple manuscripts/grant experience, the latter making me pretty good at ""the sell" / Willing to help with content, would probably be the most helpful for people presenting themselves as alternative career vets (e.g. specialty, government, public health, etc). I'm usually pretty busy as a warning,but I can usually get it back to you within a week or two and don't mind you bugging me if I forget.

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

WTF / Class of 2010, DVM, DACVP, soon-to-be PhD, multiple manuscripts/grant experience, the latter making me pretty good at ""the sell" / Willing to help with content, would probably be the most helpful for people presenting themselves as alternative career vets (e.g. specialty, government, public health, etc). I'm usually pretty busy as a warning,but I can usually get it back to you within a week or two and don't mind you bugging me if I forget.

heyyimhayley | Class of 2020 | Willing to help with whatever you need! (content, grammar, ideas, just let me know what you'd like me to focus on...) I was very thankful for several readers from this thread last year, so I'm looking forward to paying it forward. :)

Example:

CURRENT READERS

Osudairy | MS (thesis and 2 publications), Vet student c/o 2020 | I can edit content, grammar, organization, streamlining, and flow. I am honest and provide constructive criticism. I worked directly with an ADCOM member on how to write personal statements so I have a good idea of what they are looking for.

emoji6.png

heyyimhayley | Class of 2020 | Willing to help with whatever you need! (content, grammar, ideas, just let me know what you'd like me to focus on...) I was very thankful for several readers from this thread last year, so I'm looking forward to paying it forward. :)

Example:

CURRENT READERS

Osudairy | MS (thesis and 2 publications), Vet student c/o 2020 | I can edit content, grammar, organization, streamlining, and flow. I am honest and provide constructive criticism. I worked directly with an ADCOM member on how to write personal statements so I have a good idea of what they are looking for.

emoji6.png

officialood | Class of 2020 | Willing to help in all areas, especially spelling/grammar, organization, and overall flow | :)

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

officialood| Class of 2020 | Willing to help in all areas, especially spelling/grammar, organization, and overall flow | :)

fredandcessna
| Class of 2020 | Willing to help with anything! Great with grammar, spelling, flow, etc. | :D

Members don't see this ad :)

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

officialood| Class of 2020 | Willing to help in all areas, especially spelling/grammar, organization, and overall flow | :)

fredandcessna
|
Class of 2020 | Willing to help with anything! Great with grammar, spelling, flow, etc. | :D

Redwall
| Class of 2020 | Down to help with things like content, organization, or flow! Am relatively flexible and quick to respond

You feel SOV/LIS style ancient yet? TEN YEARS! Hahahaha. Damn.

Every new class is just a punch in the gut as far as time goes. Mleh.
LOL so much love. I almost fell out of my chair. :laugh:

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

fredandcessna
|
Class of 2020 | Willing to help with anything! Great with grammar, spelling, flow, etc. | :D

Redwall
| Class of 2020 | Down to help with things like content, organization, or flow! Am relatively flexible and quick to respond

Frozenshades| Class of 2017, PhD Student | General content. Grammar Nazi. I'm a grumpy cat and bluntly honest, don't take it personally. Busy so be patient, but I'll tell you if I'm too busy at the moment.

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

fredandcessna
|

Redwall

Frozenshades| Class of 2017, PhD Student | General content. Grammar Nazi. I'm a grumpy cat and bluntly honest, don't take it personally. Busy so be patient, but I'll tell you if I'm too busy at the moment.

wheelin2vetmed | Class of 2020 | kan help with vokabulalary but I's prefir to focuz on yer flow and weather u folfil da prompt.

Reactions: 9 users
One thing I forgot to include in mine is that I have also written a thesis. At the undergrad level but a thesis nonetheless! It has made me very, very nitpicky since I'm naturally not a very good writer (at least scientifically speaking)

And now I am sure everybody wants me to critique their personal statements. I'll channel me some JK Simmons in Whiplash.

2015-02-23-WHIPLASH.jpg

Literally felt sick watching this movie because I'm a drummer/percussionist and it brought back flashbacks of my percussion director of 6 years. He wasn't anywhere near that bad, but lots of similarities with overworking/mental abuse and I still had a really hard time watching...

Last edited:
Thanks so much for creating this @rockatiel ! How will this work, do we message people individually of who we would like help from on our personal statement?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for creating this @rockatiel ! How will this work, do we message people individually of who we would like help from on our personal statement?
No problem! :) yeah, I think that's the best way to go about it, just as long as people don't start to overwhelm one reader.

So was everyone gonna let me go all this time not realizing I misspelled STATEMENT? Hope this doesn't impact how many submissions I get :p

What I really wanted to say is I've gotten a few submissions so far, and I'd really prefer them in a word document sent to my email. When you PM me just ask for the email to send it to. I prefer to leave electronic comments in MS word. Can't speak for the others though.

Hahaha! Didn't even notice.

Almost done w mine! Who knew watching community & drinking wine would be so inspiring in the PS process??

Reactions: 4 users
Literally felt sick watching this movie because I'm a drummer/percussionist and it brought back flashbacks of my percussion director of 6 years. He wasn't anywhere near that bad, but lots of similarities with overworking/mental abuse and I still had a really hard time watching...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt the same! I too am a female percussionist and dealt with terrible/ abusive percussion directors. But by far the worst was when I did drum corps. The caption head almost killed me (literally- she didn't want me to go to the hospital). Sooooo much overworking/ mental, physical, and emotional abuse.

Love that show!
OMG funniest show ever. i think it calms my nerves bc I'm like "hey whatever, who cares if i don't get into vet school, i'll just go to a community college & make some awkward friends."

Reactions: 2 users
So was everyone gonna let me go all this time not realizing I misspelled STATEMENT? Hope this doesn't impact how many submissions I get :p

What I really wanted to say is I've gotten a few submissions so far, and I'd really prefer them in a word document sent to my email. When you PM me just ask for the email to send it to. I prefer to leave electronic comments in MS word. Can't speak for the others though.

I was going to mention it, but wanted to see how long it took you to notice :p

Hey now, you're making me second guess my description :(. Wait... no you're not.

I tooks most pride in my pursonel statements righting.

There's still the persona statement tag at the top too :)

Hope yall are ready, because here I come: bombarding your inboxes with version after version of a slowly but surely less crappy PS until it's perfect :)
I had a lot of good help a couple cycles ago and so it won't be quite as horrendous, but still.

Reactions: 4 users
Y'all are amazing. I've sent my PS out a couple times to different people, and it's improved tenfold. I ️ constructive criticism!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
And now I am sure everybody wants me to critique their personal statements. I'll channel me some JK Simmons in Whiplash.

2015-02-23-WHIPLASH.jpg

This brought back so many memories learning how to play drums LOL. 14 years later, I can laugh about it.

Hope yall are ready, because here I come: bombarding your inboxes with version after version of a slowly but surely less crappy PS until it's perfect :)
I had a lot of good help a couple cycles ago and so it won't be quite as horrendous, but still.
Bring it on

I agree!!! I'm glad I've gotten ahead before the app cycle even opens.. I'm too eager lol

I'm waiting after a few revisions before sending it to @WhtsThFrequency. She's like my idol

Hahaha same here. I originally sent it to anyone who said that they didn't sugarcoat it and are a bit more critical. I need that tough love.

Did you send yours to me? just want to make sure the email I gave you is working :)

Hahaha same here. I originally sent it to anyone who said that they didn't sugarcoat it and are a bit more critical. I need that tough love.

I'll try and get to yours tomorrow. Sorry about the holdup!

Did you send yours to me? just want to make sure the email I gave you is working :)
Not yet no. I just got home from work. I will probably later tonight.

I've been forgetting/putting it off for a while but I'll try to pick one or a few people to send mine out tonight! Looking more for help with content specifically since there are segments I'm not fully happy with/feel need major reworking but couldn't really figure HOW to rewrite them.

Im avoiding those ones till i have a couple drafts underway. I know I'm too sensitive to that just yet! lol