2021 Personal Statement Readers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I'm wondering if anyone is available now/sometime today to take a look at my new PS? I've gotten very positive feedback so far from 2 readers, and I'm just hoping to have a few more sets of eyes confirm that I should use it! Thanks in advance!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone still reading Personal Statements that is available? I've got a few shaky drafts that I would like feedback on from those in the vet world :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone still reading Personal Statements that is available? I've got a few shaky drafts that I would like feedback on from those in the vet world :)
PM me and I'll send you my email address! I'll get to it tomorrow night probably.

I feel like I've exhausted all the readers

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello. Looking for a poor, unfortunate soul to give me an opinion on a rough draft. I have lots of concerns, haha. I'm a little alone and in the dark with essays and I don't really have anyone in the real world to help me look over my essays. Thanks!

Hello. Looking for a poor, unfortunate soul to give me an opinion on a rough draft. I have lots of concerns, haha. I'm a little alone and in the dark with essays and I don't really have anyone in the real world to help me look over my essays. Thanks!

PM me and I'll shoot you my email, happy to help.

I would love to send my personal statement to a few people, if anyone has time. It is not quite finished, but I am kind of stuck on my ending and how I should end it.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll go ahead and send you a message for your email.

Thank you!

Hello everyone! I'm almost positive I have my final draft of my personal statement done (my adviser has looked it over and told me it was good). I was hoping I could get a couple more opinions on it! If you could help that'd be great!! I can send it by email! Thank you in advance!

I think i'm ready to paste that PS into my app but would like a couple pairs of eyes to go over it. Any takers?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also looking for someone to read over my PS as well. Thanks!

Sitting at home and quite bored - so send those personal statements my way!

PM me if interested and I will send you my email.

Reactions: 1 user
If anybody is available to read my PS as well that would be awesome, it's just over the character limit and needs some harsh reality. Thanks in advance!

I have this whole week completely off, so would be happy to read anyone's personal statements!

Anyone who needs a reader feel free to send me a PM...I'll shoot you back my email:)

I've trimmed my personal statement down to 4500 characters and think I have a good final PS (thanks for the feedback to those that looked at it!). If anyone wants to read it over its final form and give me feedback, I'd be grateful!

FYI I am no longer able to look at personal statements. If you've sent me one recently and I haven't gotten it back yet, I'll be looking at them today!

Anyone still available for editing? I just finished rewriting mine and would like to get some feedback, if possible. Thanks in advance!

I just finished a very ROUGH draft (I know, I've been procrastinating lately) and was hoping someone could take a look at it and give me some first impressions. No need for edits on small details, I'll focus on that later. Please PM me if you can, thanks!

I just finished a very ROUGH draft (I know, I've been procrastinating lately) and was hoping someone could take a look at it and give me some first impressions. No need for edits on small details, I'll focus on that later. Please PM me if you can, thanks!
DITTO!!

If anyone is available I'd love someone to be able to read one of my supplemental essays. I need someone who doesn't know me to tell me if I'm being depressing or starkly honest.

I'd like that as well! Just some for NC state and Iowa State!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi! I have a rough draft of a personal statement I was wondering if anyone could look over for me?

Same. Looking for feedback on content if anyone is still available to read. Please and thank you!

Looking for some PS readers if possible, I'm only applying to Texas so my app isn't due until Sept 30. I say that only so I'll look like less of a procrastinator.

Anyway, I'm just finishing it up and would love to have someone read it before I let my LOR read it (because he offered to and I don't want to embarrass myself since I work for him).

Hi! I am new to this forum. I saw this and I am currently in the process of applying to veterinary schools.
How do I go about having someone read my personal statements, etc?
Thanks!

Would really appreciate it if someone could read over my ROUGH draft! I cannot seem to put words and feelings in my mind onto paper.

i'd be willing to look at a few PS's now that my application has been submitted. I'm not the best editor so mostly I can just give overall opinions/critiques and less on actual editing, but message me if you want me to take a look

If anybody still has time I would love it if someone took a glance over my final draft. I'm planning to submit within the next couple days but it's been a few drafts since I got an outside opinion and would like one before I hit the scary submit button.

I have no idea who on the list still has time though now that it's so late.

I have time to look at it, if you want. If interested message me and i'll give you my email address.

If anybody still has time I would love it if someone took a glance over my final draft. I'm planning to submit within the next couple days but it's been a few drafts since I got an outside opinion and would like one before I hit the scary submit button.

I have no idea who on the list still has time though now that it's so late.

I would love to review it for you if you'd like, I am only a current applicant like yourself, but I would be happy to assist! PM me for my email.

Is there an average length for PS ? Obviously we can't exceed 4500 characters, but I was told the more concise your PS is the better. I'm at a little under 3000 and it feels waaaaay too long. Just curious where everyone else was at.

My rough draft was like 8000 characters and I had to really cut a ton out. Ended up being about 4490 when I submitted

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is there an average length for PS ? Obviously we can't exceed 4500 characters, but I was told the more concise your PS is the better. I'm at a little under 3000 and it feels waaaaay too long. Just curious where everyone else was at.

I'm generally a pretty concise writer and mine was about 3700 last year and 3900 this year.

Concise doesn't mean your statement has to be short imo. It just means not to ramble on, include things that don't matter, or be extra verbose when there's a simpler way to put things. The characters, however many you have up to the limit, should all count.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I'm just a current applicant.

I'm generally a pretty concise writer and mine was about 3700 last year and 3900 this year.

Concise doesn't mean your statement has to be short imo. It just means not to ramble on, include things that don't matter, or be extra verbose when there's a simpler way to put things. The characters, however many you have up to the limit, should all count.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I'm just a current applicant.

Omg, mine is pretty much exactly 4500. Now I'm scared, lol.

Also, is there anyone around (perhaps a previous Cornell applicant or current Cornell student) that would be willing to take a look at what I've written for their supplemental questions? :)

Is anyone still around to read personal statements? Most people on the list are c/o 2020 and surely swamped with vet school studying. Please let me know if you can give some last-minute advice! I'm mostly looking for general impressions of my PS, and help with rephrasing some awkward sentences would be nice, too!

Hi everyone, same request as above. I know everyone's probably starting up the school year right now, but if you have time I'd really appreciate some help with just a brief look at my personal statement before I finalize everything :) :)

Anyone still available to proof a couple supplemental apps? Only need grammar/ punctuation checks. Looking for a current vet student.

Hello everyone,
Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to ask this question- but please if anyone can offer some reassurance, I would be so appreciative.

This is my first time applying. And I am writing my personal statement. After reading a few examples of what people consider to be good, I have realized that my stories and experiences seem very "boring" and basic compared to others. Perhaps it is because many of my vet hours were as a shadow in a small clinic. I might have watched many people perform procedures, yet I did not get much hands on work. This makes me feel like my essay will be from an outsiders view. Did anyone else feel this way when writing their personal statement? Much of my hands on work did come from shelter volunteering, yet the experience was elementary and without vet supervision. Any thoughts?

Hello everyone,
Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to ask this question- but please if anyone can offer some reassurance, I would be so appreciative.

This is my first time applying. And I am writing my personal statement. After reading a few examples of what people consider to be good, I have realized that my stories and experiences seem very "boring" and basic compared to others. Perhaps it is because many of my vet hours were as a shadow in a small clinic. I might have watched many people perform procedures, yet I did not get much hands on work. This makes me feel like my essay will be from an outsiders view. Did anyone else feel this way when writing their personal statement? Much of my hands on work did come from shelter volunteering, yet the experience was elementary and without vet supervision. Any thoughts?

There's no personal statement this year, just three questions with a limit of 1,000 characters each:

1. There are many career choices within the veterinary profession. What are your future career goals and why?
2. In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?
3. Considering the breadth of society we serve as veterinarians today; what attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?

A lot of people get in without much hands-on work, and you can definitely write about experiences that weren't supervised by a vet (they just won't count as vet hours).

Reactions: 1 users
There's no personal statement this year, just three questions with a limit of 1,000 characters each:

1. There are many career choices within the veterinary profession. What are your future career goals and why?
2. In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?
3. Considering the breadth of society we serve as veterinarians today; what attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?

A lot of people get in without much hands-on work, and you can definitely write about experiences that weren't supervised by a vet (they just won't count as vet hours).
Oh I hadn't seen the replacement PS questions yet. These are... interesting. I feel like we had to answer all of these on the PS though?

Wow! I did not know this. Thank god for this platform. I would know nothing without you guys. Thank you!!!

Oh I hadn't seen the replacement PS questions yet. These are... interesting. I feel like we had to answer all of these on the PS though?

Yeah. There's probably less room for creativity, but they're very similar to the previous prompt. One difference is they're not asking why we're applying to vet school, which is interesting.

Wow! I did not know this. Thank god for this platform. I would know nothing without you guys. Thank you!!!

You're very welcome! VMCAS released these via email, but for some reason they haven't put them on the VMCAS website. I think a lot of people are going to be upset they spent time writing a PS once this cycle opens!

Hello everyone,

Completely agree with TrashPanda above, but I would add that it's not the impressive experiences that have the most impact to you, and the impact on you is what you are trying to convey. For instance the third question cannot be answered with hands on experience because you are not a vet yet. You simply have to observe and determine what you should strive to be. We're here help anytime, with drafts and concepts not just final products! Best of luck to you this cycle, and thank you for not creating an additional thread but finding an appropriate posting location, great job!

Reactions: 2 users