2021 Personal Statement Readers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We aren't that mean @lhmhtd ;):p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
p>

Members don't see this ad :)
Im avoiding those ones till i have a couple drafts underway. I know I'm too sensitive to that just yet! lol

You must not have read my description very closely ;)

Yeah it's not mean or in malice, it's more along the lines of:
"you're gonna suffer, but you're gonna be happy about it"
db325bbbc55a6ba62459247bf33426f4.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think anyone on here is actually mean, thankfully. Pokemon nerds, yes.

I have a question about LORs:
Is it better to have 3-4 super amazing ones, or all 6 with a couple being just generic?

Is it better to have 3-4 super amazing ones, or all 6 with a couple being just generic?
I don't really see the point in adding lukewarm ones unless you have a school that requires more.

Reactions: 1 users
Follow up question, I know one has to be by a veterinarian. Who do you suggest the other 2-3 be from? I was thinking maybe the other vet than works at the clinic I do, and then one from a professor from undergrad... But I'm not sure

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You feel SOV/LIS style ancient yet? TEN YEARS! Hahahaha. Damn.

Every new class is just a punch in the gut as far as time goes. Mleh.

Quoting again as I also just found this from February 2006...:eek:

I got in I got in I got in!!!

(does a happy dance since this is the only school I applied to)

yeeeaayy!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Follow up question, I know one has to be by a veterinarian. Who do you suggest the other 2-3 be from? I was thinking maybe the other vet than works at the clinic I do, and then one from a professor from undergrad... But I'm not sure

As someone who agonized over this, know that it is very person dependent and I would focus on the quality of the letters versus who they are from. In a perfect world, I've been told that it's good to have diverse letters (one that can speak for your academics, one for your leadership, one from your vet experiences...), but in all honestly I think that having 3 from different vets that can write solid, positive letters about you is better than having a lukewarm one from your professor, a fill-in-the-blank one from your advisor, etc.

I had an advisor (but I work personally with her in a program so she knows me really well), a professor, two veterinarians, and an employer. The only one that didn't know me super well was the professor, but one of my schools required it.

Pick the people who know you best and are going to be able to write glowing, personal letters. One of mine was from a lit professor, and was probably my best letter because he knew me better than any of my other writers. Diversity is good as ashgirl mentioned, so try to get letters from different experiences if you're asking multiple vets, but the most important thing is to make sure they are strong recommendations from people who know you well.

Pick the people who know you best and are going to be able to write glowing, personal letters. One of mine was from a lit professor, and was probably my best letter because he knew me better than any of my other writers. Diversity is good as ashgirl mentioned, so try to get letters from different experiences if you're asking multiple vets, but the most important thing is to make sure they are strong recommendations from people who know you well.
My go-to vet knows me super well. I've been around his clinic since before he even was. Not only do I work there, but I've been taking my dogs there for longer. I'm thinking one from my old band director. I know it's different, but he wrote a really really good one for my undergrad, and I still keep in good contact with him and he'll write about my leadership/ maturity/ personality.

And I'm stumped on my third one.

My go-to vet knows me super well. I've been around his clinic since before he even was. Not only do I work there, but I've been taking my dogs there for longer. I'm thinking one from my old band director. I know it's different, but he wrote a really really good one for my undergrad, and I still keep in good contact with him and he'll write about my leadership/ maturity/ personality.

And I'm stumped on my third one.
Those two sound great! I would say maybe a professor so you can cover the academic side as well? But it depends on whether or not you have a professor who knows you well.

Those two sound great! I would say maybe a professor so you can cover the academic side as well? But it depends on whether or not you have a professor who knows you well.
Hmm. Maybe. I might have one- I'm in nutrition with this professor, and I'm in his add on class and there's only 6 of us in it. The only other professor I can think of is the one f0r ochem last semester and this semester (and he probably wouldn't have positive things to say about my academics HA)

Hmm. Maybe. I might have one- I'm in nutrition with this professor, and I'm in his add on class and there's only 6 of us in it. The only other professor I can think of is the one f0r ochem last semester and this semester (and he probably wouldn't have positive things to say about my academics HA)
Haha yeah personally I would lean towards one whose classes I've done well in :)

Quoting again as I also just found this from February 2006...:eek:

This was me in April 2007.
I am currently waiting for a response as an in-state applicant, but I made it through the to the interview, so hopefully, I'll be helpful. I have a GRE score of 750Q, 630V and 4.5 A. My GPA is on the lower side at 3.37. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

On another note, I called UTK today to get a copy of my application (VMCAS already cleared them) and they sent out the letters yesterday, so be expecting them soon.

I was accepted the next day. Lol. I was ecstatic.

I personally had a professor, a veterinarian, and a former boss write mine. I think who you ask depends on what you want your letters to emphasize about you. I purposefully asked people who could speak to some soft skills of mine that are more difficult to determine from my application alone (things like compassion, ability to work with others, leadership, drive - that sort of stuff). I also know others who asked more professors to write LORs since they could speak to their academic abilities since their GPAs were on the low side.

Last question (for today at least): I'm new to VMCAS- if somebody writes a LOR, if I don't get accepted this round, do the letters stay in the system, or do I have to get them to write them again?

Well, let's just say I sent @dyachei my personal statement. The word document I received back had a red line through all 4,500 characters and a single comment that just said:

"****"

I may or may not be telling the truth :smuggrin:.

Last question (for today at least): I'm new to VMCAS- if somebody writes a LOR, if I don't get accepted this round, do the letters stay in the system, or do I have to get them to write them again?

I think the letters have to be re-submitted, but don't quote me on that.

You have to request them again. They can re-use the same letter, but if you've continued working with them or your app has otherwise changed since the last cycle I would suggest they write a new one, or at least revise.

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Example:
Username | Vet student | focus on grammar/readability/content/etc | any other pertinent info

CURRENT READERS

rockatiel | accepted class of 2020| I would really like to make sure you guys follow the prompt. Seems small but it can be a big deal! I can check for grammar, spelling, and all of that too, of course.

Osudairy | MS (thesis and 2 publications), Vet student c/o 2020 | I can edit content, grammar, organization, streamlining, and flow. I am honest and provide constructive criticism. I worked directly with an ADCOM member on how to write personal statements so I have a good idea of what they are looking for.

ketoone | Vet student, accepted | I can help out with pretty much anything, but am especially proficient with the mechanical side of editing: spelling, grammar, basic flow, sentence structure/variety, etc. I'm also willing to provide pointers on how to trim the fat in your statement so that it doesn't exceed the VMCAS character limit (more difficult than it sounds!).

Alohacat319 | Class of 2020, Vet student | happy to help with whatever someone needs, especially grammar, vocabulary, rewording, etc. I will be completely honest and tell it like it is. I'm not mean, but if you are sensitive to criticism, I won't be your best option.
emoji6.png

lilylilac | Vet student, Class of 2020; PhD (dissertation, 3 first author pubs, 1 other pub, 1 pub under review, grant applications) | I can help with pretty much every aspect, including organization, flow, cutting it down, grammar, spelling

Spike907 | Class of 2020 | I can help with anything and everything. Writing is my other passion. I received lots of positive feedback about my own PS and can help you make yours awesome! If you want someone to just bounce ideas off of, totally edit a complete paper, or anything in between, sign me up!

WildZoo | class of 2020 | focus on anything you like at any stage in the writing process | I have 4 years of experience in critiquing others' writing (English Writing major), and helped a good number of applicants with their personal statements last cycle. I don't sugar coat, but I will be constructive in all of my criticism. And I am always willing to see multiple drafts! I did just get bumped up to full time at work so it may take me a week to get to your draft, and probably more as the cycle goes along and more people are asking for help. I will give you a timetable though and will stick to it.

batsenecal | Class of 2020 | Willing to read what you have, bounce ideas off of, grammar, spelling, etc. I'll be available to do this at least until June 30. I would possibly be able to the second half and through August.

vetmedhead | Class of 2021 (MPH/DVM) | Willing to look over pretty much anything, though my preference is content/ideas over copy editing (not that I can't do both!). Anyone looking for feedback on essays in supplemental applications or for essays specific to dual degree programs can also feel free to hit me up. I'll be taking classes this summer, but I'm good at replying to emails and can put together a timeline of when to expect things from me. I also have a lot of experience with creative writing and in general would say that I'm a strong writer.

WTF / Class of 2010, DVM, DACVP, soon-to-be PhD, multiple manuscripts/grant experience, the latter making me pretty good at ""the sell" / Willing to help with content, would probably be the most helpful for people presenting themselves as alternative career vets (e.g. specialty, government, public health, etc). I'm usually pretty busy as a warning,but I can usually get it back to you within a week or two and don't mind you bugging me if I forget.

heyyimhayley | Class of 2020 | Willing to help with whatever you need! (content, grammar, ideas, just let me know what you'd like me to focus on...) I was very thankful for several readers from this thread last year, so I'm looking forward to paying it forward. :)

officialood| Class of 2020 | Willing to help in all areas, especially spelling/grammar, organization, and overall flow | :)

fredandcessna
|
Class of 2020 | Willing to help with anything! Great with grammar, spelling, flow, etc. | :D

Redwall
| Class of 2020 | Down to help with things like content, organization, or flow! Am relatively flexible and quick to respond

Frozenshades| Class of 2017, PhD Student | General content. Grammar Nazi. I'm a grumpy cat and bluntly honest, don't take it personally. Busy so be patient, but I'll tell you if I'm too busy at the moment.

wheelin2vetmed | Class of 2020 | kan help with vokabulalary but I's prefir to focuz on yer flow and weather u folfil da prompt.

that redhead | Class of 2015, SA GP | I read your PS, I give you my thoughts. My personal mission is to eradicate the cliches that predominate vet school PSes.

I have my personal statement from this past cycle that I would like to have looked at and critiqued. I really liked it, and would like to keep several of the topics I discuss if possible (is it ok to reuse part of a PS or does the PS have to be completely rewritten every cycle?). However, I need to cut it down significantly because there are some new things I want to add about my internship this past year in Madagascar and my interest in International Veterinary Medicine/"One globe one health." Any and all constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. I'll message a couple of you tomorrow morning (it is 10:10pm here).

2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Example:
Username | Vet student | focus on grammar/readability/content/etc | any other pertinent info

CURRENT READERS

rockatiel | accepted class of 2020| I would really like to make sure you guys follow the prompt. Seems small but it can be a big deal! I can check for grammar, spelling, and all of that too, of course.

Osudairy | MS (thesis and 2 publications), Vet student c/o 2020 | I can edit content, grammar, organization, streamlining, and flow. I am honest and provide constructive criticism. I worked directly with an ADCOM member on how to write personal statements so I have a good idea of what they are looking for.

ketoone | Vet student, accepted | I can help out with pretty much anything, but am especially proficient with the mechanical side of editing: spelling, grammar, basic flow, sentence structure/variety, etc. I'm also willing to provide pointers on how to trim the fat in your statement so that it doesn't exceed the VMCAS character limit (more difficult than it sounds!).

Alohacat319 | Class of 2020, Vet student | happy to help with whatever someone needs, especially grammar, vocabulary, rewording, etc. I will be completely honest and tell it like it is. I'm not mean, but if you are sensitive to criticism, I won't be your best option.
emoji6.png

lilylilac | Vet student, Class of 2020; PhD (dissertation, 3 first author pubs, 1 other pub, 1 pub under review, grant applications) | I can help with pretty much every aspect, including organization, flow, cutting it down, grammar, spelling

Spike907 | Class of 2020 | I can help with anything and everything. Writing is my other passion. I received lots of positive feedback about my own PS and can help you make yours awesome! If you want someone to just bounce ideas off of, totally edit a complete paper, or anything in between, sign me up!

WildZoo | class of 2020 | focus on anything you like at any stage in the writing process | I have 4 years of experience in critiquing others' writing (English Writing major), and helped a good number of applicants with their personal statements last cycle. I don't sugar coat, but I will be constructive in all of my criticism. And I am always willing to see multiple drafts! I did just get bumped up to full time at work so it may take me a week to get to your draft, and probably more as the cycle goes along and more people are asking for help. I will give you a timetable though and will stick to it.

batsenecal | Class of 2020 | Willing to read what you have, bounce ideas off of, grammar, spelling, etc. I'll be available to do this at least until June 30. I would possibly be able to the second half and through August.

vetmedhead | Class of 2021 (MPH/DVM) | Willing to look over pretty much anything, though my preference is content/ideas over copy editing (not that I can't do both!). Anyone looking for feedback on essays in supplemental applications or for essays specific to dual degree programs can also feel free to hit me up. I'll be taking classes this summer, but I'm good at replying to emails and can put together a timeline of when to expect things from me. I also have a lot of experience with creative writing and in general would say that I'm a strong writer.

WTF / Class of 2010, DVM, DACVP, soon-to-be PhD, multiple manuscripts/grant experience, the latter making me pretty good at ""the sell" / Willing to help with content, would probably be the most helpful for people presenting themselves as alternative career vets (e.g. specialty, government, public health, etc). I'm usually pretty busy as a warning,but I can usually get it back to you within a week or two and don't mind you bugging me if I forget.

heyyimhayley | Class of 2020 | Willing to help with whatever you need! (content, grammar, ideas, just let me know what you'd like me to focus on...) I was very thankful for several readers from this thread last year, so I'm looking forward to paying it forward. :)

officialood| Class of 2020 | Willing to help in all areas, especially spelling/grammar, organization, and overall flow | :)

fredandcessna
|
Class of 2020 | Willing to help with anything! Great with grammar, spelling, flow, etc. | :D

Redwall
| Class of 2020 | Down to help with things like content, organization, or flow! Am relatively flexible and quick to respond

Frozenshades| Class of 2017, PhD Student | General content. Grammar Nazi. I'm a grumpy cat and bluntly honest, don't take it personally. Busy so be patient, but I'll tell you if I'm too busy at the moment.

wheelin2vetmed | Class of 2020 | kan help with vokabulalary but I's prefir to focuz on yer flow and weather u folfil da prompt.

that redhead | Class of 2015, SA GP | I read your PS, I give you my thoughts. My personal mission is to eradicate the cliches that predominate vet school PSes.

MouseyMouse | Class of 2019 | I used to teach high school English and had a blast editing personal statements last year. I'm happy to help with grammar/sticking to the prompt/flow/etc., but I'm best at helping you with organization and adding meaningful details. Please proofread first. I :love:editing!

I am a 5th time applicant and I am in need of someone to read through and edit my personal statement. I have been working on it over the last few years so I am reluctant to change much of the content but I just want to make sure it sounds ok. Is there anyone on here that could help me out?

KSU c/o 2020 hopeful

I am a 5th time applicant and I am in need of someone to read through and edit my personal statement. I have been working on it over the last few years so I am reluctant to change much of the content but I just want to make sure it sounds ok. Is there anyone on here that could help me out?

KSU c/o 2020 hopeful
Just jump right in!! Choose a couple from the list and shoot them a PM to see if they have time. They say yes or no and you hand over your hard work to be checked out. :)

Hey all personal statement readers!

This is just a general question for all of you. How risky is writing a personal statement from the point of view of already being a veterinarian and writing a statement as a "flashback" of all the experiences and such that have helped you "get to where you are"?

Sorry if this is super confusing, let me know if it makes sense!

Hey all personal statement readers!

This is just a general question for all of you. How risky is writing a personal statement from the point of view of already being a veterinarian and writing a statement as a "flashback" of all the experiences and such that have helped you "get to where you are"?

Sorry if this is super confusing, let me know if it makes sense!

This depends entirely on how well it's done. If it's written well and shows depth and thoughtfulness, it can work in your favor. If it comes across as gimmicky and cliched, then of course it won't. Either way, it will help your PS stand out but it is definitely a risk.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it more or if you want to shoot out some ideas or a draft.

I must say, it's really nice to have a breather from grad school work to read these lol

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

fredandcessna
|

Redwall

MouseyMouse | Class of 2019 | I used to teach high school English and had a blast editing personal statements last year. I'm happy to help with grammar/sticking to the prompt/flow/etc., but I'm best at helping you with organization and adding meaningful details. Please proofread first. I :love:editing!

chilibean98 | class of 2020 | I can give you whatever feedback in whatever area you want! Since I don't have too many plans for the summer, I would love to help with personal statements, since my readers were such a huge help when I applied!

Hey guys,

My last stretch of school was insanely stressful so I haven't gotten to anyone's PS yet. That said, the email I told you to send it to was my undergrad email and my university will deactivate it just after graduation on Friday. Please inbox me again for a new email. Thanks!

Hey guys,

My last stretch of school was insanely stressful so I haven't gotten to anyone's PS yet. That said, the email I told you to send it to was my undergrad email and my university will deactivate it just after graduation on Friday. Please inbox me again for a new email. Thanks!
Wow, that's cold. Here I was annoyed that after 2 years out my stuff got deactivated a few months ago o_O (really sucks since now I can't login to portal and request transcripts easily anymore, I have to snail-mail or fax in a form...ugh)

I want to thank @Spike907 who did my first much-needed revisions! :) might send the resulting edits to another reader at some point, but there's still plenty of time and right now my main focus is an upcoming GRE retake...

Example:

CURRENT READERS

emoji6.png

fredandcessna
|

Redwall

chilibean98 | class of 2020 | I can give you whatever feedback in whatever area you want! Since I don't have too many plans for the summer, I would love to help with personal statements, since my readers were such a huge help when I applied!

katashark | class of 2020 | I can focus on anything you want me to focus on - details, organization, word choice, etc. I really enjoy editing, and would love to help you out! I've got a good amount of spare time as well.

Hello! I'd like to have my draft looked at - do I just message a few people on the list? Not sure how it works :). Feel free to delete this, since I haven't seen anyone ask about it on this thread! :S

Hello! I'd like to have my draft looked at - do I just message a few people on the list? Not sure how it works :). Feel free to delete this, since I haven't seen anyone ask about it on this thread! :S
Yep, just message whoever you want!

Not a silly question.message anyone on this list :)

I'm still working on my personal statement, but am finishing up my explanation statement. Would anyone be willing to read over that for me?

I haven't finished my personal statement yet, but I'm wondering if someone wouldn't mind looking over my experience descriptions, which I've written in paragraph form, to see if it sounds ok? I keep on going back and forth between if they should be in the paragraph form they are currently in, or switch it to more condensed bullet points. I like the paragraph form, but I'm worried it sounds way too wordy right now.

Anyways, if anyone is willing to do that let me know.

Just an FYI to everyone who sent me stuff: sorry for taking so long to get things back to y'all! Graduation/travel/surgeries caught up with me this past week or so and I ended up having less time than I was anticipating to look through things. I'm editing one last PS (@sheltermed ) and then I'll email everything back to the people who sent stuff to me. (@cdoconn @ilikecake )

Editing stuff for people is giving me flashbacks to my own time writing stuff for my application, which was mostly this:
funny-editing-face-Emperors-Groove.jpg

I also may have a small case of red pen syndrome. :shifty:

Just an FYI to everyone who sent me stuff: sorry for taking so long to get things back to y'all! Graduation/travel/surgeries caught up with me this past week or so and I ended up having less time than I was anticipating to look through things. I'm editing one last PS (@sheltermed ) and then I'll email everything back to the people who sent stuff to me. (@cdoconn @ilikecake )

Thanks so much for the feedback- I'm just going through it now. After Monday (biochem final :scared:) I'll be able to work on it a lot more and then resend it to some/all of my readers :p

And just so you know - I loved those cats sooo much!!! I loved my job. It definitely wasn't meant to come off as complaining, just trying to show that their version of clinic+shelter wasn't great. Will definitely have to revisit the intro and make it sound more positive!