This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone hear from UT Austin Counseling Center? I saw they sent out both rejection and interview today, but I don't receive anything from them.
As an update to my previous comment, I just now received an invite via personal email

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some sites I interviewed at last year were Memphis VA, Henry Ford, Boston VA, Allegheny Health, Rusk, Cooper Health, and West LA VA. If anyone is interviewing at these sites please feel free to DM and I’d be happy to share my experiences or answer questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone attempted to contact/heard from LA county internship in corrections?

I hope everyone is staying safe with all the winds, rain, snow, tornadoes, etc!

Reactions: 7 users
Yes, I was about to ask the same question! Wondering if I should reach out or just count it as an L :/
I'm going to reach out. They are obligated to respond either way by their notification date (as outlined in the APPIC email we recently received).

Sorry to ask again, but has anyone heard from John’s Hopkins today or last week?
I emailed this morning and got a response fairly quickly. Unfortunately, for me, it was a rejection that was supposedly sent on 11/29 (but never appeared in my inbox or spam/junk folder). Hope you and PsyDontWantToDoThis have better luck!!

I emailed this morning and got a response fairly quickly. Unfortunately, for me, it was a rejection that was supposedly sent on 11/29 (but never appeared in my inbox or spam/junk folder). Hope you and PsyDontWantToDoThis have better luck!!
Yap same.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
If a site rejects you based on qualifications they did not require in the brochure do we email this to appic?

If a site rejects you based on qualifications they did not require in the brochure do we email this to appic?

Does the site primarily work with those age groups? Or, for example, are you applying to a VA site, but pretty much only have child experience?

Does the site primarily work with those age groups? Or, for example, are you applying to a VA site, but pretty much only have child experience?
No it was an adult site and I have adult experience - small site not VA

Fair, each year the applicant pool is different, some years assessment experience is good, some years applicants don't have much. I wouldn't dwell on it too much.
It is just disappointing because it’s very misleading and I spent 60 on the application.

Has anyone gotten rejections from Alexian Brothers or Northwell Health? I haven’t heard either way from them and am not sure what that means

Has anyone gotten rejections from Alexian Brothers or Northwell Health? I haven’t heard either way from them and am not sure what that means
I havent heard from Northwell but since the rejection side of the spreadsheet is empty im calling it a rejection ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have not but I thought the notification deadline for Alexian Brothers was 12/31, so maybe they just haven't finished?

Can you provide more information? You’ve commented a few times about feeling disrespected and wanting your money back. I’m curious what was misleading.

Does anyone feel as though they are babbling during interviews? I am struggling to be concise while also sharing everything I want to answer the questions thoroughly. I timed myself during an interview and most of my responses were 90 seconds in length on average. Do you think that is too long? What are yalls thoughts? I did 4 interviews so far and have 11 more and am NOT feeling confident with this at all.

I know it might feel early, but I'm trying the whole "rank as you go" method and I'm curious as to what other people are going to consider when choosing their ranking. So far I have training/rotations, stipend, location, intern impressions, staff vibes, and gut feeling. What is everyone else adding?

Reactions: 2 users
I know it might feel early, but I'm trying the whole "rank as you go" method and I'm curious as to what other people are going to consider when choosing their ranking. So far I have training/rotations, stipend, location, intern impressions, staff vibes, and gut feeling. What is everyone else adding?
Work-life balance, schedule, start/end dates (which could limit postdoc choices), some offer extras like paying for conferences, etc. - a bonus, but obviously not the most important

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone feel as though they are babbling during interviews? I am struggling to be concise while also sharing everything I want to answer the questions thoroughly. I timed myself during an interview and most of my responses were 90 seconds in length on average. Do you think that is too long? What are yalls thoughts? I did 4 interviews so far and have 11 more and am NOT feeling confident with this at all.
Current intern here!

The interview process is so stressful and draining. I wouldn’t be concerned about the length of your responses. If you’re giving great and relevant info, share it with them. I know I felt as if I was taking too long to answer or that I was repeating myself. Something I did to help (and if you’re feeling anxious about your responses, this may help) was to literally take a moment to answer the question so I could gather my thoughts and take a quick breath. It’s also okay to ask for a moment if you need to think about questions surrounding conceptualizing cases or going through vignettes.

Overall, though, just know the interviewers also know you are probably super anxious in the interview. They all understand that 😊 don’t be too hard on yourself! It’s a stressful time and definitely understandably so. So just be you in the interview. :)

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
It is just disappointing because it’s very misleading and I spent 60 on the application.

I think you need to elaborate on what the issue was. To give some perspective, each year, the applicant pool is different, so as a program, we can't possibly predict all the criteria we end up using for who gets an interview. We might adjust our criteria based on who applies because we only have so many interviews we can offer. Most years (including this year) we have far more qualified people than interview spots, yet we can't possibly interview everyone (i.e., we aren't going to interview 40 people for 2 positions in a single track). It's similar to a job posting - they'll list required/preferred criteria, but just because you meet those doesn't guarantee you'll get an interview; others applying may have more experience, a different type of experience, etc. Although I understand the disappointment, not being invited to an interview doesn't mean you weren't qualified or that you weren't seriously considered.

Reactions: 6 users
For me, diversity of the site, living expenses, especially rent.

Current intern here. I just wanted to say that I remember how demoralizing and difficult this process was for me last year. The entire process doesn’t always feel fair and is incredibly stressful. For anyone applying this year, I’m happy to share detailed info about my own interviews last year (see my previous post for where I interviewed). I’m also happy to offer advice, share my experience, celebrate your interviews, and hold space for your feelings about rejections. Anyone who needs some support, please DM me.

Also remember you are all qualified and deserve a great spot. Yes, you ALL do. This process does not define you. Your worth is more than the number of interviews you got.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Current intern here!

The interview process is so stressful and draining. I wouldn’t be concerned about the length of your responses. If you’re giving great and relevant info, share it with them. I know I felt as if I was taking too long to answer or that I was repeating myself. Something I did to help (and if you’re feeling anxious about your responses, this may help) was to literally take a moment to answer the question so I could gather my thoughts and take a quick breath. It’s also okay to ask for a moment if you need to think about questions surrounding conceptualizing cases or going through vignettes.

Overall, though, just know the interviewers also know you are probably super anxious in the interview. They all understand that 😊 don’t be too hard on yourself! It’s a stressful time and definitely understandably so. So just be you in the interview. :)
Thank you so much! This was extremely reassuring and helpful. I appreciate your help <3

• Care
Has anyone applied to WVU/Charleston Medical Center? I emailed the DCT as instructed on the website about requesting to visit/interview and having them review my materials, and have not heard back (over a week ago). A bit of a non traditional approach and I don't know when to reach back out? How long did this take for others if you emailed him sooner?

I did the rank as you go method with some criteria when I first started interviewing. For me, the biggest criteria was training/rotations and vibes. I did consider other areas similar to what @iheartbacon listed but eventually I threw those out after talking to other people who are in their postdocs now. My reasoning is that it is 1 year. Work / life balance is very important to me but I would rather get a great year of training during my internship and sacrifice an extra 10 hours a week than get a subpar intership that is a strict 40 hours. Everyone I know who did a post doc said it was not as competitive as internship and everyplace was flexible with start dates as internship completions were all over the place on the calendar.

I can honestly say that what I expected to be my top 3 choices prior to interviewing ended up being middle or lower on my final ranking. A lot of that boiled down to my gut feeling / the vibes I got from the interviews and if they had rotations that I really wanted to do. I wanted to find a place that I fit in and the people seemed honest. Several interviews turned me off due to being misleading (aka we love diversity but everyone on the interview / site visit was of one race). If everyone seemed to be super young I was turned off. I don't want to learn from someone who has only been in the field for a year or two. Also, sometimes talking to the current interns, they had fake smiles when asked about their site or the answers were short like they had nothing good to say about it.

Lastly, as you do interviews, if it is not clear, ask how rotations are chosen. Do you choose, does the faculty / training staff choose for you? We were put in a room at the end of our second week with just the interns and we had to put together our rotations with the limits the faculty put on us (how many interns per track in a rotation period). There were pros and cons to this approach but some people definately got the short stick.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone interviewing at Columbia Irving receive any follow up info on zoom links/interview day schedule etc?

anyone get a rejection from a place they are currently doing practicum at?… ALL the feels.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
anyone get a rejection from a place they are currently doing practicum at?… ALL the feels.
No, but I did get a rejection about a week ago from a site that I interviewed with last year who had emailed me after match day and said they were disappointed I didn't match with them and they hoped I would re-apply this year. And another site that interviewed me last year didn't offer me an interview this year even though I'm a much more competitive applicant this time around. It never makes sense.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Can anyone who may have applied to Ancora Psych Hospital last year provide any insight into if they ever notify earlier than their stated date? I know their notification date is 1/1 and from the spreadsheet, no one has heard back yet, but their interview dates are 1/4, 1/5, and 1/6 which is really cutting it close!

Official Site Name: Gulf Coast VA
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Date Invitation Received: 12/17 at 12:09pm EST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Personalized email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/6, 1/11, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26

I reached out to someone that interviewed there last year, they said they didn't hear from them until January!
Oh wow! That is definitely unexpected! I was starting to think it was a silent rejection. Good to know there’s still some hope🎉

Yep! And not even a personal email - it was a mass email that went straight to spam (I think it was my first rejection too, which added insult to injury). I didn't necessarily expect to match, but I thought I would have at least gotten an interview. However, this was at an AMC and I think my research experience/number of publications was probably lower than others, and others who applied likely had multiple health psych experiences whereas I only had one. It probably didn't help that my supervisor there was unable to write a letter of recommendation due to an unexpected medical emergency/hospitalization soon before the letter was due - this might have carried weight because she is a full professor and extremely well respected, but I also am not confident this would have influenced their decision much either. I was extremely disappointed to have not been selected for an interview, but I also understand how I was likely passed over. I feel you! Hopefully you have some other great options for interviews!

• Care