*** 2022-2023 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I read somewhere a post by @Fencer that said if a person has more than 4 MD/PhD interviews, their likelihood of getting into the national class is >95%. Please correct me if I am wrong!
Assuming independent probabilities, random chance and no covariance, yes, 95% is a good number. It does depend on post-interview acceptance rates of each school in the set though. If you're interviewing at a bunch of WashUs and UVas where the post-interview acceptance rate is reliably >= 50% every year, then 95% might be a conservative underestimate assuming you're not a terrible interviewer (hence why the dangerous assumption of no covariance)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any advice on preparing for interviews? First one this week
In general, I found most of them very conversational and strictly behavioral!

The most important questions I've seen come up:

1. Why MD/PhD? In general, have a good understanding of why you want both degrees. It helps if you have a specific career goal in mind and can say how the MD and PhD + the crosstalk afforded by MD/PhD will get you to where you want to be

2. Why medicine, goes without saying haha

3. Talk about your research. Give a brief summary of what you're trying to do, why you're doing it, what your goal/hypothesis was, and any interesting things you've found. You don't have to be super eloquent or refined about it. Stay away from gory details here because the big idea is more important and your interviewer will ask about the technical details if they're interested. I think the most important part is just to know what you're doing inside and out and you can roll with the punches easily

4. What have the biggest takeaways you've gotten from doing research? This is the "what does your experience mean to you" question and is pretty straightforward to answer IMO. Anything you've learned about research itself? Has research helped you think about scientific problems in a rigorous way? Stuff like that

You won't necessarily get asked about these directly, the wording can differ and oftentimes is more casual rather than framed as a formal question.

Another thing is to see how you act on camera. Make sure you don't come off as weird or fidgety or anything like that. Eye contact is important -- I think you can either look at the screen i.e. at your interviewer or the webcam, just be consistent about it.

These interviews get a lot easier over time. Your first one's going to be a bit nerve-wracking, but eventually you get better at talking to people. If you've talked with professors a lot in the past in a more formal setting and feel you're a good conversationalist, I think you don't have too much to worry about here and will easily get into the flow of things.

Eventually, the biggest issue is dealing with fatigue from interviewing for several hours at a time. Talk slow, smile, and laugh a bit (I feel like this helps me mentally and physically loosen up + release any pent-up tension I might have), you'll do great. One good way to warm up is to ask any questions you have on your mind during the morning orientation sessions, that way your first time saying anything for the day won't be when you're doing your first interview

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In general, I found most of them very conversational and strictly behavioral!

The most important questions I've seen come up:

1. Why MD/PhD? In general, have a good understanding of why you want both degrees. It helps if you have a specific career goal in mind and can say how the MD and PhD + the crosstalk afforded by MD/PhD will get you to where you want to be

2. Why medicine, goes without saying haha

3. Talk about your research. Give a brief summary of what you're trying to do, why you're doing it, what your goal/hypothesis was, and any interesting things you've found. You don't have to be super eloquent or refined about it. Stay away from gory details here because the big idea is more important and your interviewer will ask about the technical details if they're interested. I think the most important part is just to know what you're doing inside and out and you can roll with the punches easily

4. What have the biggest takeaways you've gotten from doing research? This is the "what does your experience mean to you" question and is pretty straightforward to answer IMO. Anything you've learned about research itself? Has research helped you think about scientific problems in a rigorous way? Stuff like that

You won't necessarily get asked about these directly, the wording can differ and oftentimes is more casual rather than framed as a formal question.

Another thing is to see how you act on camera. Make sure you don't come off as weird or fidgety or anything like that. Eye contact is important -- I think you can either look at the screen i.e. at your interviewer or the webcam, just be consistent about it.

These interviews get a lot easier over time. Your first one's going to be a bit nerve-wracking, but eventually you get better at talking to people. If you've talked with professors a lot in the past in a more formal setting and feel you're a good conversationalist, I think you don't have too much to worry about here and will easily get into the flow of things.

Eventually, the biggest issue is dealing with fatigue from interviewing for several hours at a time. Talk slow, smile, and laugh a bit (I feel like this helps me mentally and physically loosen up + release any pent-up tension I might have), you'll do great. One good way to warm up is to ask any questions you have on your mind during the morning orientation sessions, that way your first time saying anything for the day won't be when you're doing your first interview
Thank you :)) my biggest dilemma right now is if I should drink coffee beforehand; it makes me sharper and much more talkative but also makes make jittery and fidgety :p

Speaking of programs being done with IIs on this thread, does anyone know where UVA and Duke are at?

Speaking of programs being done with IIs on this thread, does anyone know where UVA and Duke are at?
UVa interviews all the way into late February, I definitely don't think they're done sending interview invitations

Question for Georgetown applicants - I applied for their MD PhD program and haven't received an II or R from them, yet i got an email yesterday about filling out their form for financial aid. Im a little confused because 1) I didn't apply to their MD program and 2) I haven't received any communication from them otherwise. Did any other pre-II people receive their financial aid email yesterday? Im wondering if its just something they send to everyone who is still being considered.

Question for Georgetown applicants - I applied for their MD PhD program and haven't received an II or R from them, yet i got an email yesterday about filling out their form for financial aid. Im a little confused because 1) I didn't apply to their MD program and 2) I haven't received any communication from them otherwise. Did any other pre-II people receive their financial aid email yesterday? Im wondering if its just something they send to everyone who is still being considered.
I received it too. I think it's for everyone still being considered.

Reactions: 2 users
Happy Friday everyone, does anyone have info about where Emory, UCSF, and/or UW stand with IIs?

Reactions: 1 user
Happy Friday everyone, does anyone have info about where Emory, UCSF, and/or UW stand with IIs?
happy friday! emory has only one date left and the last round of IIs they released was for that date, so i doubt they will be sending any more out
UW madison - they sent out a bunch of Rs and when i emailed them around that same time they told me that i was on hold, so i am assuming that everyone who has not gotten an II or an R from them by this point, are on hold

Maybe a dumb question but what do u guys think we are supposed to say when we get an acceptance via phone call?

Obviously we aren't usually gonna accept/reject the offer on the spot and they know that, which leaves me at a bit of a loss for what to say.

The situation was (fortunately) sprung upon me last week and I just said "thank you so much, I'm so excited to hear that" and kinda just kept repeating that until we hung up hahahah

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Maybe a dumb question but what do u guys think we are supposed to say when we get an acceptance via phone call?

Obviously we aren't usually gonna accept/reject the offer on the spot and they know that, which leaves me at a bit of a loss for what to say.

The situation was (fortunately) sprung upon me last week and I just said "thank you so much, I'm so excited to hear that" and kinda just kept repeating that until we hung up hahahah
I haven't gotten a phone call from anyone yet but I don't know what else I'd say either other than "Wow, thanks so much for letting me know" and then "have a good day". They know you're going to be flustered too

Members don't see this ad :)

I ended up getting an email before I got the phone call so I already knew, but it was pretty much just "Thanks so much, I'm really excited and looking forward to second visit! Is there anything I should be aware of or on the lookout for between now and April?", nothing complicated, you've already got the seat :)

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't gotten a phone call from anyone yet but I don't know what else I'd say either other than "Wow, thanks so much for letting me know" and then "have a good day". They know you're going to be flustered too
I ended up getting an email before I got the phone call so I already knew, but it was pretty much just "Thanks so much, I'm really excited and looking forward to second visit! Is there anything I should be aware of or on the lookout for between now and April?", nothing complicated, you've already got the seat :)
ok thank u guys i'm glad we agree/are on the same wavelength, had me doubting my social skills fr

Anyone know how unranked alternate lists work?? (specifically Colorado's!)

Anyone know how unranked alternate lists work?? (specifically Colorado's!)
The best guess I have is they'll go by how much interest you demonstrate through an update letter and whether you've done anything notable since you last updated them. Because Colorado probably wants to protect it's yield rate and so they'll pull people off the waitlist that they think will be more likely to attend

ok thank u guys i'm glad we agree/are on the same wavelength, had me doubting my social skills fr
I tend to say, in no particular order, "Thanks so much"/"I really enjoyed my interview"/"Thank you for the opportunity"/"Excited to hear more about second visits in the spring" ... I feel like it's fine to show a little bit of excitement too, e.g. "This made my whole week!" if you're excited about the program because who doesn't love to be flattered back, but not sure if that's viewed as unprofessional. Even if it is I'll probably keep doing it haha.

I guess I'm asking for a little bit conventional wisdom from the community here: Is it reasonable to assume that if I'm not hearing back from the schools by the end of the this week, that basically means a R eventually as the season is over? I'm totally happy with where I stand rn, but just want to have an idea as I am gonna meet with a large group of family members in the next two week.

Last edited:
by the end of this week a supermajority of programs should be done scheduling. we can always count on being surprised in small ways, with some of our more philanthropic superstars releasing interviews, but our families don’t need to be bored with the minutiae

i feel like it's fair to at least have some hope for hearing back from programs in Jan that have interview dates in Feb. it's very few, but still.

Is avoiding a rejection wave generally a good sign? There are a couple of schools that I have heard nothing from, but have sent recent waves of rejections. Their last interviews are early January I don't think I'll get an interview either. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight on what the reason for this might be?

• Hmm
Is avoiding a rejection wave generally a good sign? There are a couple of schools that I have heard nothing from, but have sent recent waves of rejections. Their last interviews are early January I don't think I'll get an interview either. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight on what the reason for this might be?
my guess is that these people would be in the batch who would get an II more or less last minute if someone drops their interview (b/c they got into their top school, for example). i had a similar situation happen w a school and when i contacted them, they told me my app was "on hold". but that school has their last interview date in feb, so i feel like my guess may be less applicable in your case

If someone in your interview cohort has received an acceptance and you haven’t received any communication, is that pretty much an incoming WL/R?

If someone in your interview cohort has received an acceptance and you haven’t received any communication, is that pretty much an incoming WL/R?
(sorry for being annoying and responding to everything i simply live on this website lmao) - i would say not necessarily, depends on the school. i contacted a program that had people receive an A who interviewed on a later date than i did, and they said that they have not reviewed my file just yet. i think that is what people refer to as "partially rolling", and tbh i am assuming that they just put my app in a separate pile of people who maybe were not their first pick at the first glance and files to be reviewed later when there's a clearer sense of the applicant pool. hope that helps!

(sorry for being annoying and responding to everything i simply live on this website lmao) - i would say not necessarily, depends on the school. i contacted a program that had people receive an A who interviewed on a later date than i did, and they said that they have not reviewed my file just yet. i think that is what people refer to as "partially rolling", and tbh i am assuming that they just put my app in a separate pile of people who maybe were not their first pick at the first glance and files to be reviewed later when there's a clearer sense of the applicant pool. hope that helps!
Don’t apologize, you’re helping me keep hope alive :’) so thanks for that!

• Care
Has anyone heard anything regarding UT San Antonio, in their post interview informational, it was said that December 21st was a good date as to when we could expect to hear something regarding rolling admissions?

Has anyone heard anything regarding UT San Antonio, in their post interview informational, it was said that December 21st was a good date as to when we could expect to hear something regarding rolling admissions?
I was expecting the same thing! But I haven't heard anything and don't see anything on the forums about people hearing back

I was expecting the same thing! But I haven't heard anything and don't see anything on the forums about people hearing back
It’s been a long day, normally I am always checking my email looking for good news but today has been particularly worse

At what point do y’all think it is good to contact schools if they do not meet the deadlines they set about responses? I know many are vague, but a few of mine said specific dates which they are close to not meeting

At what point do y’all think it is good to contact schools if they do not meet the deadlines they set about responses? I know many are vague, but a few of mine said specific dates which they are close to not meeting
Wait until they don't meet them first before you send anything

Wait until they don't meet them first before you send anything
Sure, I totally agree with that, no need to pressure them. It’s more of an opinion question assuming they do miss a deadline, when does self-advocacy become more valuable than patience in this process?

Sure, I totally agree with that, no need to pressure them. It’s more of an opinion question assuming they do miss a deadline, when does self-advocacy become more valuable than patience in this process?
I basically went with my gut, if they told us I would wait a week before peeping in (or in this case, until the holidays are over), if they didn't tell us, I usually checked in after a month or so

Has anyone else noticed that this year some university systems started holiday break early? Like 21st/22nd? I’ve heard that about a couple of places and one even admitted that the restructuring of the holiday break affected the admissions process. Not that I’m trying to give anyone (including me😭) false hope here, but I’m curious what people think

Has anyone else noticed that this year some university systems started holiday break early? Like 21st/22nd? I’ve heard that about a couple of places and one even admitted that the restructuring of the holiday break affected the admissions process. Not that I’m trying to give anyone (including me😭) false hope here, but I’m curious what people think
Hmm, building off that comment, I’m considering holding off sending updates until the new year so my email doesn’t get drowned out. Any thoughts on this?

Hmm, building off that comment, I’m considering holding off sending updates until the new year so my email doesn’t get drowned out. Any thoughts on this?
Probably makes sense. Not much going on with offices about to close or already closed. Some places were closed by last Friday, 12/17.

does anyone know the last interview dates for vcu, uconn, and temple?

oh yeah i saw that, thank you! do you believe these websites are consistently updated though?
They should be pretty consistently updated, but I think UConn in particular lags a bit (at least earlier in the cycle they had the year as 2021-2022). I have heard from a current PhD student that there is 1 interview visit left, but he isn't an MD-PhD student and isn't invovled in admissions.

Merry Christmas to all of you beautiful souls and I hope all of us will be entering the physician-scientist profession in the New Year!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Imagine kicking off the new year by choking a field goal in the first three seconds of 2023

that’s what you get for rejecting us, Ohio State

• Wow
HAPPY NEW YEAR to each and every one of you amazing peeps 🎊🍾🎇

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I'm pretty confused with all of the CYMS/CTE stuff despite having been digging around AMCAS a decent amount. My understanding is that:

-sometime in Feb applicants with >=1 A will gain access to CYMS through AMCAS
-by March 15 applicants with >3 A's must withdraw from all but 3 programs to which they have been accepted (but can remain on infinitely many WLs) (withdraw through CYMS or the school portal or both?)
-by April 1 applicants with >1 A's must withdraw from all but 1 programs to which they have been accepted (but can remain on infinitely many WLs) (withdraw through CYMS or the school portal or both?)
-by April 1 applicants must commit to enroll into the one A they have remaining (in CYMS/CTE--is there a difference?)
-after April 1 it's just between you and the schools as to what's allowed with respect to remaining on other WLs, putting deposits down, etc.

Can anyone check my understanding, add anything, or point me in the direction of good resources? I'm a little confused and really don't wanna mess anything up LOL

Your dates are wrong, but the sequence is correct.

AAMC Traffic guidelines for applicants and schools:
February 21 (Feb. 19 in another email) - APPLICANTS can indicate their preference for a Program/School by indicating they Plan to Enroll in CYMS.
February 22 (or Feb. 20) - SCHOOLS are able to see how many Plan to Enroll into their program.
March 15 - SCHOOLS must offer at least as many acceptances as they intend to fill.
April 15 - APPLICANTS with more than 3 ACs, must withdraw to keep that AC number at 3 ACs or less
April 30 - APPLICANTS must reduce their ACs to a SINGLE program. CYMS now has 2 choices: Plan to Enroll (staying on waitlists) and Commit to Enroll (withdrawing from all other waitlists or ACs)

Programs can require applicants to use CYMS on or after April 30. Programs could also require Commit to Enroll beginning on 21 days prior to orientation and/or matriculation.

I hope that this makes it clearer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Your dates are wrong, but the sequence is correct.

AAMC Traffic guidelines for applicants and schools:
February 21 (Feb. 19 in another email) - APPLICANTS can indicate their preference for a Program/School by indicating they Plan to Enroll in CYMS.
February 22 (or Feb. 20) - SCHOOLS are able to see how many Plan to Enroll into their program.
March 15 - SCHOOLS must offer at least as many acceptances as they intend to fill.
April 15 - APPLICANTS with more than 3 ACs, must withdraw to keep that AC number at 3 ACs or less
April 30 - APPLICANTS must reduce their ACs to a SINGLE program. CYMS now has 2 choices: Plan to Enroll (staying on waitlists) and Commit to Enroll (withdrawing from all other waitlists or ACs)

Programs can require applicants to use CYMS on or after April 30. Programs could also require Commit to Enroll beginning on 21 days prior to orientation and/or matriculation.

I hope that this makes it clearer.
Thank you so much! What's the purpose of the 1 day gap in when applicants can indicate preference vs. when schools can see how many plan to enroll?

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all doing well and are in good position for this cycle. Question for those of you that are more in touch with the timelines of some these programs: I have II's from Loyola Chicago and OHSU (Loyola back in October, OHSU in February). I've gotten R's from a 4 of the other programs I applied to but still have not heard back from University of Florida, UC Irvine, Kaiser, VCU, and Maryland. It feels pretty late in the cycle and the calendar that has been posted here does not show interview dates for any of these programs beyond January. Is it safe to assume that my application just hasn't been "reviewed" yet but that I will get rejected as all of the interview slots have been filled? I completed 8/17 which didn't feel that late but in retrospect feels months too late given how slowly it seems they have been getting through applications this cycle. I'm in an unfortunate position because I have to take the MCAT again if I want to apply in the next cycle and obviously have to begin planning around that. If I had a couple more interviews I'd feel safer in waiting but i'm not sure how to feel with only two II's through the beginning of January.

Thoughts?

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all doing well and are in good position for this cycle. Question for those of you that are more in touch with the timelines of some these programs: I have II's from Loyola Chicago and OHSU (Loyola back in October, OHSU in February). I've gotten R's from a 4 of the other programs I applied to but still have not heard back from University of Florida, UC Irvine, Kaiser, VCU, and Maryland. It feels pretty late in the cycle and the calendar that has been posted here does not show interview dates for any of these programs beyond January. Is it safe to assume that my application just hasn't been "reviewed" yet but that I will get rejected as all of the interview slots have been filled? I completed 8/17 which didn't feel that late but in retrospect feels months too late given how slowly it seems they have been getting through applications this cycle. I'm in an unfortunate position because I have to take the MCAT again if I want to apply in the next cycle and obviously have to begin planning around that. If I had a couple more interviews I'd feel safer in waiting but i'm not sure how to feel with only two II's through the beginning of January.

Thoughts?
I can't answer most of your questions, but there's no uniform 'too late' MCAT date--I scraped the MSAR to get a nice clean .csv, so DM me if you need help finding programs your MCAT might remain good at

Hi all! I have a few questions I'd like to get some options on.

After an interview session, do you email the program directors to say thank you and reinforce your interest with the program (even if they did not directly interview you)?

Also, during a few of my interviews, interviewers have said something along the lines of "your application and ethos seems more clinically/patient centered. Would you choose MD over PhD if given the chance?" and "do you really want the PhD". I have worked in a post bac program doing bench research for almost 3 years now, and did bench research over a summer in undergrad. I also have psychology research during undergrad. I kept my MD personal statement less focused on research (as was feedback provided from MD/PhDs I had read my applications), and really tried to drive why MD/PhD and bench research in my MD/PhD essay and research essay.

I'm worried programs think I am not serious about the PhD portion of the MD/PhD. I try to always emphasize my goals of committing to bench research, working through failures in lab, my future research interests, and having my own lab one day as a PI. But, I'm worried this is falling short. Does anyone have any advice for facing these kind of questions? Thanks in advance!