2022 NHSC Scholarship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starting to get nervous, I signed 08/09 and was given a finalist notification on the first day. I haven't gotten any emails about something being wrong with my contract and have yet to receive a countersignature. Anyone else in the same boat?

(For context, I submitted for 4 years of funding.)
same here
 
Congrats to all who received a signature! Received finalist notification 8/8(?) and turned in my EVF and contract 8/11. Did not receive a summer EVF (probably because I had no summer classes?). Received countersignature at 9:30 AM today - it is an electronic signature at the bottom of the contract, under your own signature, by an "OFAM Approver"!
 
Whoo hoo, got my countersignature today, at 10:34 this morning! I was almost getting nervous.....almost🤣!

Congrats to everyone who have received signatures!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone who has received the counter signature know how to move forward with our school and getting our tuition, etc paid for? Is it our or NHSC's responsibility to reach out to the school? Thanks!
 
Anyone who has received the counter signature know how to move forward with our school and getting our tuition, etc paid for? Is it our or NHSC's responsibility to reach out to the school? Thanks!
When you get the official notification, your portal will contain additional documentation including a packet of information that you are instructed to give your school. They will take it from there. I believe it is up to the school to bill the NHSC. The first payment might be a little rough, especially if you are the first student at your school to get this, but beyond that, it shouldn’t be too bad all the way through graduation unless you have something weird happen.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so if they coutnersigned, does that mean we officially got the scholarship?? 😀
 
I’m so happy y’all are all getting signatures….BUT I’m dying over here of anxiety. I was a first round finalist but I didn’t get a summer EVF (& I did indicate I took summer classes). I submitted my paperwork 08/09. Can y’all please tell me to relax and have hope? 😭😭
 
I’m so happy y’all are all getting signatures….BUT I’m dying over here of anxiety. I was a first round finalist but I didn’t get a summer EVF (& I did indicate I took summer classes). I submitted my paperwork 08/09. Can y’all please tell me to relax and have hope? 😭😭
same I'm dying over here lol
 
Notified 08/08, 1st round finalist
Submitted W4 and EVF 08/08, same evening
Countersigned today, 09/07

For the past few days was getting slightly concerned about not receiving a countersignature, and tried to make myself feel better by thinking about the benefits of working in private practice. Neither are bad options, but still glad to have received the countersignature and thus, the scholarship, today.

To @DentieBestie, @ehern, & the rest waiting on the signatures- they will come. You were a finalist, you will receive a countersignature from the government's end. No if's, and's, or buts. Wait with hope, my friends, don't let your hearts be dismayed. I look forward to seeing you at national conferences, orientation, in the CHCs, and to be a part of the workforce with you all ♡
 
Last edited:
Starting to get nervous, I signed 08/09 and was given a finalist notification on the first day. I haven't gotten any emails about something being wrong with my contract and have yet to receive a countersignature. Anyone else in the same boat?

(For context, I submitted for 4 years of funding.)
same
 
Just downloaded my contract and I received the countersignature today at 3:13pm EST from Jamie King!!! I was notified I was a finalist on 8/8, submitted the W-4 and EVF on 8/11. I submitted for 2 years of funding for dental school! No email about a portal change and when I logon to my portal it still says “Accepted Award - Under Final Review” so make sure you’re downloading the contract to check!! Good luck ya‘ll!
 
My portal just updated, where can I find the documents to send the school?
I received countersignature on 9/2, but my portal has not been updated. Did you go to the applicant section or the participant section?
 
The other applicant from my school got her countersignature today! But she doesn't have access to any documents, it just says "congratulations"

Nothing new on mine for my fellow no EVF peers. 😕
 
I received countersignature on 9/2, but my portal has not been updated. Did you go to the applicant section or the participant section?
mine hasn't been updated yet either. it still says "Accepted Award - Under Final Review"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My portal just updated, where can I find the documents to send the school?
The documents might not be available yet. When the award email comes, it will tell you that you have messages/documents available in your portal. There you will find a “Welcome Kit” that should have instructions for your school, an award letter, and some other resources/documents for you.
 
Guys, it just happened. I got my countersignature at 8:24 this morning!! Does everyone's contract say "optional contracts" within the contract itself and just have one signature? It says signed for 4 years of service for 4 years of scholarship so I'm assuming I'm okay but still
 
How long did it take (for those who have gotten) to get the email after your countersignature? I got my signature on 9/7 at 3:10 pm and haven’t gotten an email yet.
 
How long did it take (for those who have gotten) to get the email after your countersignature? I got my signature on 9/7 at 3:10 pm and haven’t gotten an email yet.
Got mine 9/7 at 9am and got the email today at 5:30pm but my portal has been in participant mode since yesterday
 
Ooh really where? I don't see for me
I went to role-> participant-> messages and they said “You will receive an additional notification when your new award documents are available. To access documents in the BHW Customer Service Portal, visit the 'My Service Information' section in the right-hand column of your portal home page and click View My Service Information and Documents.” And i clicked the blue part
 
I went to role-> participant-> messages and they said “You will receive an additional notification when your new award documents are available. To access documents in the BHW Customer Service Portal, visit the 'My Service Information' section in the right-hand column of your portal home page and click View My Service Information and Documents.” And i clicked the blue part
ohh i dont think i have it 😳 i guess ill just wait
 
If you get this scholarship do you have to work immediately after graduating or can you do residency if you want?

Can you work in any underserved area you want or do they tell you where you have to work?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you get this scholarship do you have to work immediately after graduating or can you do residency if you want?

Can you work in any underserved area you want or do they tell you where you have to work?
residency only for pediatrics or geriatrics or GPR (primary care only)
you get to choose and apply but it's based on availability i believe
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to everyone! I received it last year (looking at my Snapchat flashbacks and thought of you guys). If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. It’s pretty straightforward from here, especially if your school knows what it’s doing. I literally don’t have to do anything but attach an unofficial transcript to a form every semester.

I got my ORC + lump sum for the 4-5 months at the end of October.

Also note, if the ORC seems too good to be true, it may be. My school added in living costs (which is covered by stipend) and I had to return 2/3 of it. A few students were panicking a bit and had to take out additional student loans to pay it back when they contacted us months later.
 
Congrats to everyone! I received it last year (looking at my Snapchat flashbacks and thought of you guys). If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. It’s pretty straightforward from here, especially if your school knows what it’s doing. I literally don’t have to do anything but attach an unofficial transcript to a form every semester.

I got my ORC + lump sum for the 4-5 months at the end of October.

Also note, if the ORC seems too good to be true, it may be. My school added in living costs (which is covered by stipend) and I had to return 2/3 of it. A few students were panicking a bit and had to take out additional student loans to pay it back when they contacted us months later.
thank you for sharing! how can you tell between stipend vs ORC when they're deposited into our bank account?
how much should ORC be around? since we know that stipend should be around $1400 before taxes