2022 NHSC Scholarship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It sounds like there is a lot of confusion on "reimbursement after Fall 2022". From what I'm thinking, that means you should no longer be taking out loans to pay for tuition and fees (i.e. things that NHSC is paying the school for directly). If you are taking out loans, those are for your personal expenses and duh, of course you/the school will not be reimbursed for those, as they do not fall into what the scholarship will cover.

I don't see why taking out supplemental living expense loans would mean anything to NHSC. Those loans will be your responsibility and yours alone.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
this is what confuses me because i asked the NHSC about this and they said that the stipend did not count towards COA
The first thing that you’ll learn, if you haven’t already, is that the NHSC is not very good at communication. That includes answering questions, live during webinars or in your portal. It seems like regardless of what they say, the final action is up to your school and how they interpret the guidance. When it comes down to it, the school is the one who is in charge of the financial aid/loan dispersement, so I would go by what your school advises. Unfortunately, that means that everybody will be in a different situation. Things sometimes changed for me year by year, so I guess my advice is only worth so much. There definitely seems to be more contradictions and unanswered questions this year than most.

Reactions: 2 users
Does NHSC do another credit check after acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if the link is somewhere for us to watch the webinar if we were not able, due to classes?

Reactions: 1 users
Does NHSC do another credit check after acceptances?
I did not get one after my acceptance (last year) nor have I heard of anyone getting post acceptance credit checks.

since contract signature, are we supposed to be doing anything? like regarding the invoice or does NHSC reach out for that? i got my signature back in the first wave but I don't know if I'm supposed to be doing anything.

On average, how long does it take for NHSC SP to respond via portal? It's literally been a little over a month now. Lol
Also, will NHSC SP notify us if our school hasn't sent an invoice? My school is really lacking in communication and I'm getting worried since disbursements are soon.

How does reporting this scholarship on FAFSA work?

Reactions: 1 user
On average, how long does it take for NHSC SP to respond via portal? It's literally been a little over a month now. Lol
Also, will NHSC SP notify us if our school hasn't sent an invoice? My school is really lacking in communication and I'm getting worried since disbursements are soon.
From my experience 1-2 weeks. If it's a time sensitive question, call them.

I would go to your Financial Aid office and talk to them about it in person if you haven't already. I would think the NHSC would reach out if the school hasn't sent one, but I am not 100% sure.

since contract signature, are we supposed to be doing anything? like regarding the invoice or does NHSC reach out for that? i got my signature back in the first wave but I don't know if I'm supposed to be doing anything.
Since contract signature I've been in touch with my school's student accounts office to share the materials NHSC sent about sending invoices since that will be done by the school. But other than that, I don't think so?

Has anyone figured out how to watch the recorded webinar?

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
are there future opportunities for networking amongst all the NHSC SP recipients?

are there future opportunities for networking amongst all the NHSC SP recipients?
I started a GroupMe at my school - I thought it would be awesome to start a network of participants that way we know what to look for in a placement.

I started a GroupMe at my school - I thought it would be awesome to start a network of participants that way we know what to look for in a placement.
I would like to join your group. Do you mind sharing a link with me please?

yes please send a link! i think im the first recipient at my school!

i'd like to join as well, please send a link!

I'm going to confer with my group at my school since I had planned to make it just for us. I think it would be wonderful to get a national network of current scholars and current scholar providers (maybe even webinars) on their experiences. I'll reach back out here later.

For any past recipients do they really wait until the last minute to deposit the money into our accounts?

I'm going to confer with my group at my school since I had planned to make it just for us. I think it would be wonderful to get a national network of current scholars and current scholar providers (maybe even webinars) on their experiences. I'll reach back out here later.
Before I got off social media, I started a NHSC Scholars networking Facebook group. It might still be active.

Does anyone know when the stipend is supposed to come? I know it’s supposed to be at the beginning of November but does anyone know a specific date? Also, how much should we be expecting? I want to know if I can pay my bills

Does anyone know when the stipend is supposed to come? I know it’s supposed to be at the beginning of November but does anyone know a specific date? Also, how much should we be expecting? I want to know if I can pay my bills
They usually don’t give a specific date. In my portal, I always noticed that it was posted in there around the same time as it showed up in my bank account, so that might give you an idea if you see it posted that it is coming soon.

They usually don’t give a specific date. In my portal, I always noticed that it was posted in there around the same time as it showed up in my bank account, so that might give you an idea if you see it posted that it is coming soon.
My payments were posted in the portal, I haven't gotten them in my account yet but im sure that means we should all be getting them soon

My payments were posted in the portal, I haven't gotten them in my account yet but im sure that means we should all be getting them soon

Where did you see that your payments have been posted in the portal?

I don’t know what you mean by last minute, but they deposit the same time every year. Around the last week in October/first week in November.
Believe they mentioned us getting the deposit before the 1st if im correct, would they typically wait until they day of? Or would it be a few days before possibly?

Believe they mentioned us getting the deposit before the 1st if im correct, would they typically wait until they day of? Or would it be a few days before possibly?
Oh, I see. I wouldn’t count on that. You might, but you also might not. Any deadline that is not documented in writing is just a guess.

Has any new participant for this year received funding for their tuition yet?
I don’t believe the monthly stipend or ORC has been sent out yet, but wondering if they’d do tuition fees first.

Where did you see that your payments have been posted in the portal?
go under "my financial information" then click view details and it shows what your ORC will be and the stipend payments.

Has any new participant for this year received funding for their tuition yet?
I don’t believe the monthly stipend or ORC has been sent out yet, but wondering if they’d do tuition fees first.
I have, for both summer and fall. Tuition paid On 10/21

go under "my financial information" then click view details and it shows what your ORC will be and the stipend payments.

Ah okay. It looks like I don’t have a “my financial information” tab anywhere, unless I am overlooking it. Thanks!!

Where in the portal did you see the payments?
Ah okay. It looks like I don’t have a “my financial information” tab anywhere, unless I am overlooking it. Thank

Me too. I can not see financial information anywhere

Deposits hit my bank account today, so it’s gotta be close for everyone else! It’s been posted on my portal since at least 10/21(that’s the first time I checked)

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
No deposit for me yet, but yesterday was the first time I checked my portal to see the financial information, so I'm not sure how long it has been posted there. Hopefully everyone else's deposits are coming soon!

I got money in my account yesterday for backpay and stipend. No information on my school account regarding tuition payment though. Thought I'd update you guys. Did someone mention a facebook group for NHSC scholars? I'd love to join/help run that group if it's dead.

Anybody else have nothing (financial statement, tuition paid, or deposit)? 😂

Reactions: 6 users
I called them yesterday to ask about the recording and they said to request it through the portal so I asked and am waiting on a response.

Also, no financial info posted -- does anyone know what the nyc area stipend is? My understanding is it can vary a bit by region?

I called them yesterday to ask about the recording and they said to request it through the portal so I asked and am waiting on a response.

Also, no financial info posted -- does anyone know what the nyc area stipend is? My understanding is it can vary a bit by region?
I don’t think that is the case. All stipends are the same for everyone. Your W4 is the only thing that will change the amount.

I'm at NYUCD and the stipend came to $1315.17 after taxes for me.

I got money in my account yesterday for backpay and stipend. No information on my school account regarding tuition payment though. Thought I'd update you guys. Did someone mention a facebook group for NHSC scholars? I'd love to join/help run that group if it's dead.
I'd also be interested in being in a group or maybe group chat?

Reactions: 4 users
I got my deposit today as informed by my mom! Id also be down for a Groupme

This is the Facebook group I started 5 years ago. I haven’t been on Facebook in ja while, but it looks like the group is still active:

Reactions: 2 users