2022 NHSC Scholarship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a third separate payment of $1300. Does anyone know what that's for?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So just wanted to clarify now that we're on a monthly stipend schedule-
  • The $1300 that came in at the end of November recently is for November's month's stipend- NOT the next month (December's) stipend, correct?
  • We can expect another $1300 around end of December for December?
  • That means that instead of prospective payment (paying in advance for the next month), its more like a retrospective payment schedule (paying at the end of the month, for that specific month)?

Reactions: 1 users
I am a prospective new student in 2023 and very interested in applying for the 2023 NHSC scholarship.

Does anyone here have any tips, best practices, suggestions on how to apply and win this scholarship and avoid any pitfalls? Would be grateful for any advice on how to prepare and present a strong application.

I am a prospective new student in 2023 and very interested in applying for the 2023 NHSC scholarship.

Does anyone here have any tips, best practices, suggestions on how to apply and win this scholarship and avoid any pitfalls? Would be grateful for any advice on how to prepare and present a strong application.
I think the people selecting finalists want to know that you have some idea of what it’s going to be like to work in the community and really want to be there—especially because the population and resources are different from what you’d see in the hospital or private practice. You should def demonstrate this in your essays.

For example, if the prompt asks you to discuss a time you worked with an underserved population, I would recommend directly tying that back to your understanding of what it might be like to work at an FQHC as a healthcare provider.

I also think it would be good to give your recommenders a heads up and as much notice as possible and reminders approaching the deadline. Your recommenders need to have everything in by the due date otherwise your application won’t be evaluated.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I think the people selecting finalists want to know that you have some idea of what it’s going to be like to work in the community and really want to be there—especially because the population and resources are different from what you’d see in the hospital or private practice. You should def demonstrate this in your essays.

For example, if the prompt asks you to discuss a time you worked with an underserved population, I would recommend directly tying that back to your understanding of what it might be like to work at an FQHC as a healthcare provider.

I also think it would be good to give your recommenders a heads up and as much notice as possible and reminders approaching the deadline. Your recommenders need to have everything in by the due date otherwise your application won’t be evaluated.

Good luck!
Thank you so much. It is great advice

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

Does anybody know if historically NHSC has been pretty on top of it as far as paying our Spring semester bill? Or do I have to go talk to the bursar early? 😂

Hi Everyone,
How do you check in your portal if your tuition has been paid?
Thank you.

Hi Everyone,
How do you check in your portal if your tuition has been paid?
Thank you.

Sometimes it would show the payment on your student account/portal but if not, you may have to reach out to your registrar/financial aid office and ask them.

Anyone get a message today about your in-school verification due? The link is broken? Also, did we set up a group me or facebook for questions like this? lol

Anyone get a message today about your in-school verification due? The link is broken? Also, did we set up a group me or facebook for questions like this? lol

it was broken this morning but just worked an hour ago for me

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if/how working 2 jobs affects the stipends NHSC gives us?

Only how you would consider it for taxes.
So they wouldn't reduce the monthly stipend even if they knew we made more money next semester if I had 2 jobs (1 work study, 1 non-work study) instead of 1 work study?

Apologies if this question has already been answered, I wasn't able to find an answer. For anyone who decided that they need to take out additional loans to cover cost of living, are you taking out federal loans through FAFSA or just taking out a personal loan?

Apologies if this question has already been answered, I wasn't able to find an answer. For anyone who decided that they need to take out additional loans to cover cost of living, are you taking out federal loans through FAFSA or just taking out a personal loan?
I always just took out loans through my school and didn’t have any issues with it. I’ve heard that some schools are more difficult than others to work with, but as long as your total aid (scholarship included) doesn’t exceed the schools COA, you should be able to take out any amount up to that in student loans to help with cost of living/rent/etc.

i took out more federal loans. i did have to request a COA increase with my school though.

I took out federal loans thru FAFSA. I think government student loans is the way to go in case you end up going somewhere that will also give some $$$ for student loan repayments + payments are paused till the summer.

I took out federal loans thru FAFSA. I think government student loans is the way to go in case you end up going somewhere that will also give some $$$ for student loan repayments + payments are paused till the summer.
Just to clarify, if we filled out the FAFSA for the 22-23 school year should we automatically get a loan refund from our school? Or did you have to talk to your school first?

Just to clarify, if we filled out the FAFSA for the 22-23 school year should we automatically get a loan refund from our school? Or did you have to talk to your school first?
I talked to the financial aid office at my school first

Reactions: 1 users
my school just flat out told me no and said I am over my budget, but it doesn't look like they returned loans from fall. That said, they haven't actually gotten payment from NHSC yet soo... I'm currently trying to figure out how to pay for my step/level two boards. As 1400 is kind of a hard swing.

I set up a Group Me for scholars pm me for link

Has anyone had any trouble where the financial aid office is waiting for verification that you are eligible for the scholarship? The rep continues to say they are waiting but now the due date for tuition is quickly approaching and I am not sure what to do.

i took out more federal loans. i did have to request a COA increase with my school though.
Can I ask what your "reason for request" was when your school had you fill out your COA increase form if you had to provide one at all, and if so what documentation you provided.

Can I ask what your "reason for request" was when your school had you fill out your COA increase form if you had to provide one at all, and if so what documentation you provided.

i didn’t have to fill out the request as i just emailed fin aid and went through them but i believe i ended up providing a copy of my lease as well as screenshots of my utility bills and food bills

i didn’t have to fill out the request as i just emailed fin aid and went through them but i believe i ended up providing a copy of my lease as well as screenshots of my utility bills and food bills
Thanks! sounds like an easy process for you, not sure how easy mine will be lol

Has anyone had any trouble where the financial aid office is waiting for verification that you are eligible for the scholarship? The rep continues to say they are waiting but now the due date for tuition is quickly approaching and I am not sure what to do.
My due date was quite awhile ago. The school knows I’m good for it and am a scholarship recipient so I’m kind of exempt from that due date and fines. I’m assuming your school will be the same.

Hello! I am using turbo tax to prepare my taxes and there is a part asking about scholarships. When I enter the amount paid for tuition by the NHSC it tells me I owe this huge sum to the IRS. I was under the impression this was a tax-free scholarship besides the stipend. Any advice?

Hello! I am using turbo tax to prepare my taxes and there is a part asking about scholarships. When I enter the amount paid for tuition by the NHSC it tells me I owe this huge sum to the IRS. I was under the impression this was a tax-free scholarship besides the stipend. Any advice?

from my understanding, the only thing you need to report is the stipend under W-2 income

from my understanding, the only thing you need to report is the stipend under W-2 income
Correct. That is what I would say also. You know tuition/fees/etc are not taxable, so I just wouldn’t report it to TurboTax. It isn’t smart enough on its own to know you don’t owe for those other amounts.

Correct. That is what I would say also. You know tuition/fees/etc are not taxable, so I just wouldn’t report it to TurboTax. It isn’t smart enough on its own to know you don’t owe for those other amounts.

this is what i did. i just reported the W-2 stipend, and didn’t end up qualifying for the grad student credit bc i was afraid of committing tax fraud. i didn’t owe any money back for having NHSC.

Is anyone still waiting for tuition payment? Im on a quarter system and I am still waiting on my Winter and Spring deposits

Is anyone still waiting for tuition payment? Im on a quarter system and I am still waiting on my Winter and Spring deposits
I am still not sure if they sent the payment for Spring semester to our schools or if and when they will. Waiting so I can get some loans back that is currently applied to tuition. 1315 is not enough for me to cover my living expenses

Is submitting the application as early as possible beneficial? Similar to applying to dental school?
No, the NHSC isn't like dental school rolling admissions. I am a 4-year recipient of the NHSC scholarship and am currently finishing up my 4th-year commitment. I submitted my application 2 days before the deadline. In hindsight, I am guessing that is that since HRSA is a government agency, they are required to review all applications as long as they're submitted by the deadline.

Does anyone know or have an idea of when the cycle will open up for 2023? Has it already opened?

Did your schools get spring semester tuition payment from NHSC yet?

Hey has anyone filed state and local taxes for the stipend? I am trying to do it on turbo tax but its flaging me bc the W2 does not have the employee ID in box 15. I tried submitting a question on the portal but no one is getting back to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone, for those who have completed a diy post-bacc program, how should we fill out the gpa section? Should it be a cumulative gpa (undergrad + post-bacc) or just the post-bacc? According to the NHSC form, it states:

Please enter the cumulative GPA for your most recently completed undergraduate or graduate program. (For Pass/Fail or other alternate GPA options, select "non-standard" GPA below. Please upload the most recent undergraduate or graduate degree transcript (i.e. the transcript which reflects the entered GPA) on the Supporting Document page.

Just wanted to make sure I'm not entering in the wrong values. Any clarification would be much appreciated!
For those of you who have completed a formal or informal postbacc: are you uploading both your undergraduate transcripts as well as your post bacc transcripts?
Hi! I am applying this year and also did an informal post bacc. I was wondering if I could direct message you in regards to some questions I have?

Did your schools get spring semester tuition payment from NHSC yet?
I'm still waiting. It's really messed up my finances since school won't let me take any additional loans for COL until they pay. I had to borrow from my dad to schedule my boards since I couldn't wait any longer. I'm starting to get very frustrated with it all

I have a quick question for those who have applied in the past (I’m getting ready to submit my app for this year).

If I request four years of funding and I am awarded the scholarship, can I then decided to only accept two years of funding?

TIA for your help!

I have a quick question for those who have applied in the past (I’m getting ready to submit my app for this year).

If I request four years of funding and I am awarded the scholarship, can I then decided to only accept two years of funding?

TIA for your help!
Yes, you are asked to verify how many years you are requesting funding for after you are selected as a finalist. You can change it at that point, but not after.

Hey! I just applied for the 2023 NHSC scholarship, and I was just wondering what timeline you guys personally experienced for hearing back from them about receiving or being a selected finalist for the scholarship. Thanks! (This is my only question, so I won't bog you down with anymore.)