2022 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To friends who have moved on in the process: I wish you all the best as you move forward. I hope you get matched with your top placement. šŸ¤—

To friends who have not moved on in the process (myself included): Do not be discouraged. You can continue to apply for up to 2 years post graduation. Apply again next year.šŸ˜Ž

If you are past the 2 years graduation requirement, all is not lost. You can gain experience in different ways. You can find volunteer opportunities (locally and remote) to help you gain experience. Reach out to your public health/health departments and see if they are looking for volunteers. Sometimes we have to put ourselves out there and ask what help is needed. Idealist.org is a good website to find local and remote volunteer and job opportunities. If you are able, the Peace Corps is a great way to gain experience. I know many people who served (myself included), then went on to get masters in Public Health, and are doing some great work.

In short - just because this did not pan out for you, keep trying! I've always believed that when one door closes, another one will open, we just have to be on the look-out. Keep rockin' and strivin' friends!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
To those that did not move forward in the application process, do not give up hope! I applied to the PHAP program the first time and did not move forward, then applied again the following year and got in! For those looking for other opportunities, I posted a link to Emory University's online public health opportunity website:

You'll be able to find employment and fellowship opportunities.

I learned a long time ago that if it's meant to be, it will be. If you don't get into this program there are so many other opportunities out there!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Iā€™m not sure exactly why Iā€™m on an accelerated timeline, Iā€™m a vet which may have something to do with it, but I already had my interview. Pretty sure I bombed it, rambled on about nonsense, etc. Hopefully my resume and personal statements were strong enough to overcome my poor interview. Good luck to everyone else, Iā€™m sure the majority will start hearing soon.

Hey! Do you have any interview tips?

Interview on Fri 13, any tips and hints for what type of questions to expect, good luck foe everyone

Hey all! I also received an invitation to interview - has anyone received a confirmation email about that yet? I might just be paranoid but I haven't received any more information about the interview (i.e., a zoom link or name of interviewer)

Hey! Do you have any interview tips?
They were just standard generic ā€œtell me about a time when ā€¦ ā€œ questions. Time you had to work in a group and any difficulties, time you had to meet a hard deadline, time youā€™ve been in charge/been a project leader, stuff like that.
There were two individuals, one asked pretty much all the questions, the other asked for clarification or asked to expand in certain areas. Then theyā€™ll ask if there is anything else you want the program to know that wasnā€™t covered and give you a chance to ask questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all! I also received an invitation to interview - has anyone received a confirmation email about that yet? I might just be paranoid but I haven't received any more information about the interview (i.e., a zoom link or name of interviewer)

I'm wondering the same. I haven't received any confirmation email yet as well.

I'm wondering the same. I haven't received any confirmation email yet as well.
It is mentioned somewhere that you will receive the link and interviewer information a day before your interview

Reactions: 1 user
They were just standard generic ā€œtell me about a time when ā€¦ ā€œ questions. Time you had to work in a group and any difficulties, time you had to meet a hard deadline, time youā€™ve been in charge/been a project leader, stuff like that.
There were two individuals, one asked pretty much all the questions, the other asked for clarification or asked to expand in certain areas. Then theyā€™ll ask if there is anything else you want the program to know that wasnā€™t covered and give you a chance to ask questions.

Perfect thank you so much!

^^^same as above.
I hoped I'll get the interviewer info early too but oh well just the zoom link.

Also got my zoom link! Good luck all, I might email asking if we will receive our interviewer information but I know they have given it out in past years

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, hope any interviews from the past few days went well! I emailed [email protected] and asked if we would hear who our interviewer was before our interviews and they said that no one would receive their interviewers name. Personally I find this a bit annoying lol especially because I know they have provided that info in past years

Hey all, hope any interviews from the past few days went well! I emailed [email protected] and asked if we would hear who our interviewer was before our interviews and they said that no one would receive their interviewers name. Personally I find this a bit annoying lol especially because I know they have provided that info in past years
Wonder why they decided to change it this year ughhh...

Best of luck to those starting the interview phase today! āœØ

Hi everyone! I only just found this forum and wanted to share my timeline so far-
Applied: Jan 31
Invited to submit personal statement: Apr 6 (due Apr 12)
Invited to interview: Apr 27 (due May 2)
And my interview is tomorrow!!! I got my interview link 3 days before my interview was scheduled so I was nervous that it didn't actually go through. Good luck to others who are having their interview soon :)

Good luck to everyone interviewing! Iā€™ve accepted the offer after I was rematched to a spot that works better for me.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I only just found this forum and wanted to share my timeline so far-
Applied: Jan 31
Invited to submit personal statement: Apr 6 (due Apr 12)
Invited to interview: Apr 27 (due May 2)
And my interview is tomorrow!!! I got my interview link 3 days before my interview was scheduled so I was nervous that it didn't actually go through. Good luck to others who are having their interview soon :)
Hi again, wanted to share a couple of things I learned from my interview:
Earliest those in this round of interviews would hear the decision is June, but if you don't hear anything before mid/late-July, then contact PHAP.
Start date is mid-October (sometime after Indigenous Peoples/Columbus Day)

Same here! I also heard over 1,000+ people applied this year and start dates would be around Oct 11.

Hi, my name is Abbie.

Congrats to everyone that made it to the interview stage! I applied to the 2021 Cohort and I made it to the interview stage but did not get in unfortunately. I graduated in 2020 with my BSPH in Community Health. During that year I was working with the Georgia Department of Health as a Case Investigator and my contract was ending that was why I applied to gain more skills. Within the year after I did not get into the 2021 Cohort, I was able to get a job with the CDC Foundation paying over $70K. This gave me an opportunity to gain more skills that I can put on my resume. During that time, I was also pursing my MPH which i completed this May. This year I decided to apply to the 2022 CDC PHAP for a back up plan incase I did not have a job. I did not expect to get this far (the interview stage). The more I thought about it, the more I realize it was not for me anymore and unfair for those who are really looking for experiences and skills.

I now have an MPH with some public health department experience and making over $70K so if I decided to go through the PHAP program, I would have to start from the beginning at a GS-5 salary level and move to a new city. Which is not worth it at all. Also not to mention, with no guarantee if I will get into the CDC after those 2 years are up. So with that being said, I just withdrew my application and I had an interview today at 3pm.

This is an encouragement to all that this is not the only way if you dont make it. I will get into the CDC later in life but not through this program. I hope whoever takes my spot is more deserving! Good luck !

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi, my name is Abbie.

Congrats to everyone that made it to the interview stage! I applied to the 2021 Cohort and I made it to the interview stage but did not get in unfortunately. I graduated in 2020 with my BSPH in Community Health. During that year I was working with the Georgia Department of Health as a Case Investigator and my contract was ending that was why I applied to gain more skills. Within the year after I did not get into the 2021 Cohort, I was able to get a job with the CDC Foundation paying over $70K. This gave me an opportunity to gain more skills that I can put on my resume. During that time, I was also pursing my MPH which i completed this May. This year I decided to apply to the 2022 CDC PHAP for a back up plan incase I did not have a job. I did not expect to get this far (the interview stage). The more I thought about it, the more I realize it was not for me anymore and unfair for those who are really looking for experiences and skills.

I now have an MPH with some public health department experience and making over $70K so if I decided to go through the PHAP program, I would have to start from the beginning at a GS-5 salary level and move to a new city. Which is not worth it at all. Also not to mention, with no guarantee if I will get into the CDC after those 2 years are up. So with that being said, I just withdrew my application and I had an interview today at 3pm.

This is an encouragement to all that this is not the only way if you dont make it. I will get into the CDC later in life but not through this program. I hope whoever takes my spot is more deserving! Good luck !

What is your current role at CDC Foundation? Is it a contract position?

Hi, my name is Abbie.

Thank you so much for saying this! I saw some of your comments from last years forum and appreciate you telling us your story! :)

With all interviews done(at least I think), wishing us all the best, and hope we place at the location of our dreams(doing what we hope to be doing)!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Everyone my name is Celeste! I just recently came across this forum so I wanted to introduce myself. I had my interview on May 16th they told me that the offers should be going out in early June and depending could take as long as the first week of September to find out. Best of luck to everyone!

Hey! My name is Kamryn and I came across this forum a couple of weeks ago. I was scheduled to do my interview on the 16th but there were some technical problems on my interviewer's side so we had to reschedule to the 18th. It was a little crazy and I was scared that I wouldn't get to interview, but everything worked out and I think the interview went well! Now just to wait until next month! Good luck to everyone!!!

How did you get rematched?
When you receive the tentative offer there will be three options: accept, decline, request to be contacted.

After considering the offer I emailed the HR rep that sent the initial offer and let them know I wanted to be a part of the program but couldnā€™t accept that location. I chose request to be contacted and she emailed me and said the program was aware and they were trying to rematch me. I was rematched about a week later.

Hey everyone? Does anyone know when we might hear back?

In my interview they said mid/late-June! But based on last year, they received first round of notifications a week after the interviews finished. So, with the long weekend, I am hoping either this next week or the following. LOL. But really, I have no idea. šŸ„²

I was told that I would be notified early June but it is an ongoing process. Judging by last years thread it seems that it was around 10 days after interviews ended that portals were updated for some individuals indicating matching. I am also hoping for an update next week.

Hey everyone? Does anyone know when we might hear back?
I heard the earliest would be June, but it can be late August/early September. My interviewer said if you haven't heard anything (invitation or otherwise) by mid-July, contact PHAP via email or phone.

Hi everyone, so my interview was on May 13th but my status is still "Rady for interview" is this normal or I should contact them , another question, does anybody know if candidates who are not selected will be notified or not and the time frame, Goodluck for all

Hi everyone, so my interview was on May 13th but my status is still "Rady for interview" is this normal or I should contact them , another question, does anybody know if candidates who are not selected will be notified or not and the time frame, Goodluck for all
My account still says "Ready for Interview" as well. I do not think it will update until we match from my understanding. My interviewer said if not chosen we should be getting some sort of correspondence as well. Wishing everyone the very best!

I also heard from my interviewer that I would hear mid-June, my portal says "ready for interview" still as well. Hoping we hear this/next week!

I'm really hoping we hear back this week. :cryi:

I'm really hoping we hear back this week. :cryi:
Me too! I'm tempted to call the PHAP office later in the week (probably Thursday) if we don't hear anything just to get an updated timeline

Did anyone else get an email with like FAQ questions? It said they were looking to send matched notifications soon

Did anyone else get an email with like FAQ questions? It said they were looking to send matched notifications soon
Yeah! I did as well. Hopefully, in a few days, we'll hear about the selections.

I also received the the email, I think they may have sent it out to everyone? I'm not sure, hopefully that means that we get notifications tomorrow! I immediately got nervous when I saw an email from the program. LOL.

I got the email as well! Fingers crossed this means we start getting notifications here shortly! I wonder if everyone who interviewed got the email or only the final candidates? I guess we will see soon!

I just checked my portal and I see a match on there in my home state but I haven't received an official email or phone call yet! Check your portals!

I just checked my portal and I see a match on there in my home state but I haven't received an official email or phone call yet! Check your portals!
Congrats! I don't see anything on mine yet. What is your home state?

Where will it be on the portal? I didnā€™t see anything either but not sure where to look. The same portal where you select the interview right? I am hoping I get placed in my home state as well.

Just checked my portal and it still says "Ready or Interview," congratulations on getting a match! That is amazing!!! āœØ