2023-2024 South Carolina - Greenville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @lumaily for sharing this year's questions.

2023-2024 South Carolina - Greenville Prompts

Question 1: Please consider sharing experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. that you believe would bring added value and unique lived experience to the learning community at USC School of Medicine Greenville. (5000 characters)

Question 2: If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or other interests or connections do you have to the state? (If not applicable, please write N/A) (5000 characters)

Question 3: Is there any additional information you would like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed? (If not applicable, please write N/A) (5000 characters)

Question 4: Why have you chosen to apply to USC School of Medicine Greenville and how do you think your education at USCSOM Greenville will prepare you to become a physician in the future? (5000 characters)

***Essay Question 1*** At USCSOM Greenville we are committed to Transforming Medicine One Doctor at a Time. Share how, as a physician, you will seek to transform medicine. (5000 characters)

***Essay Question 2*** Please describe a personal work, social or educational experience which felt inclusive and welcoming. (5000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
+1 OOS secondary received at 1:53p

@wysdoc

Secondary questions:

Question 1: Please consider sharing experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. that you believe would bring added value and unique lived experience to the learning community at USC School of Medicine Greenville. (5000 characters)
Question 2: If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or other interests or connections do you have to the state? (If not applicable, please write N/A) (5000 characters)
Question 3: Is there any additional information you would like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed? (If not applicable, please write N/A) (5000 characters)
Question 4: Why have you chosen to apply to USC School of Medicine Greenville and how do you think your education at USCSOM Greenville will prepare you to become a physician in the future? (5000 characters)

Essays:
***Essay Question 1*** At USCSOM Greenville we are committed to Transforming Medicine One Doctor at a Time. Share how, as a physician, you will seek to transform medicine. (5000 characters)

***Essay Question 2*** Please describe a personal work, social or educational experience which felt inclusive and welcoming. (5000 characters)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
+1 OOS secondary received at 1:53p

@wysdoc

Secondary questions:

Question 1: Please consider sharing experiences, challenges, family or personal circumstances, interests, etc. that you believe would bring added value and unique lived experience to the learning community at USC School of Medicine Greenville.
Question 2: If you are not a South Carolina resident, what relationships, bonds, or other interests or connections do you have to the state? (If not applicable, please write N/A)
Question 3: Is there any additional information you would like the Admissions Committee to consider that has not been previously addressed? (If not applicable, please write N/A)
Question 4: Why have you chosen to apply to USC School of Medicine Greenville and how do you think your education at USCSOM Greenville will prepare you to become a physician in the future?

Essays:
***Essay Question 1*** At USCSOM Greenville we are committed to Transforming Medicine One Doctor at a Time. Share how, as a physician, you will seek to transform medicine.

***Essay Question 2*** Please describe a personal work, social or educational experience which felt inclusive and welcoming.
What are the character/word limits if you don't mind?

Reactions: 1 user
Just looking at the character counts here is giving me anxiety lol. I am struggling to even start filling it out

Just looking at the character counts here is giving me anxiety lol. I am struggling to even start filling it out
Are you going to strive to meet the 5000 character limit for the very question? I’m struggling over here too.

Are you going to strive to meet the 5000 character limit for the very question? I’m struggling over here too.
I've decided not to. I feel like it would be way too much fluff if I attempted it.

I just want to say that I truly enjoyed USCSOMG's secondaries. I felt like they covered so many bases that are missing from other secondaries. Required a lot of introspection and really let me just talk about my qualities, personality, and background, instead of asking me how I would address a broader issue.

Last edited:
I did the same. I stuck to 500-1000 words for them, enough to adequately tell my story without adding unnecessary words that just detract attention.
Heads up even though the mentioned 5k characters were acceptable, their essay 1 and 2 say (500 words or less) in the prompt.

oops I just realized I didn't submit the prerequisite courses when I submitted my application 2 weeks ago. This is a reminder for people to double check! Would this negatively affect my application? I didn't see them require a 2 week turnaround time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary six days ago, and still no confirmation email - anyone else not get a confirmation?

Yes I did them - did everyone else get an email confirmation after they submitted their secondary? Thank you
Yes I received a confirmation email from the school after submitting the secondary. I would contact the admissions.

Double check junkmail? D:

Last edited:
Yes I did them - did everyone else get an email confirmation after they submitted their secondary? Thank you
I did get an email confirmation. For sure double check with them!

I did not get email confirmation. Am going to check tomorrow since I submitted later in the evening.

I am really struggling with the "transform medicine" question, are we talking on a systems level, or in our individual practice, or am I just overthinking the prompt lol?

I just want to say that I truly enjoyed USCSOMG's secondaries. I felt like they covered so many bases that are missing from other secondaries. Required a lot of introspection and really let me just talk about my qualities, personality, and background, instead of asking me how I would address a broader issue.
same here!!

I am really struggling with the "transform medicine" question, are we talking on a systems level, or in our individual practice, or am I just overthinking the prompt lol?
one doctor at a time. Individual level. Is there a topic, through your experiences so far in medicine, that you have become passionate about wanting to address? something you think needs to change? I picked a topic where I could influence both my community and my patients through my actions.

MSAR says they accept 30% OOS students, so is it worth trying? Or are those 30% just people with strong ties to South Carolina?

MSAR says they accept 30% OOS students, so is it worth trying? Or are those 30% just people with strong ties to South Carolina?
There is an essay question that asks if your OOS, what are your connections or interests in SC so I am assuming strong ties. Not sure though

I'm just curious what everyone's character count ended up being for these questions, I'm trying to find the balance between saying enough things that they're happy but also not adding unnecessary fluff just to fill in space

One of the requirements was 3 semester units of biochem but i only took 1 biochem class that was 4 quarter units which translates to 2.7 semester units. Will it round up?

**update i emailed them and they said its ok!

Last edited:
OOS II this morning! Complete 7/27. Went to undergrad in SC so moderately close ties

Reactions: 1 users
Got the A call about an hour ago!!!
Did your portal change? I haven't heard anything good or bad and my portal is still the same so idk where I stand with them lol, my interview was months ago. I'm assuming not hearing anything after others did means waitlist or R but hard to know

Did your portal change? I haven't heard anything good or bad and my portal is still the same so idk where I stand with them lol, my interview was months ago. I'm assuming not hearing anything after others did means waitlist or R but hard to know
No, and i haven’t gotten an email about it yet either. Just the phone call!

I am also in the continued evaluation squad, congrats to all who got A’s yesterday!