2023-2024 South Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed IS 11/15 and received hold 11/17; does anyone have any idea when holds will hear back? Everything I have found has been inconclusive... I heard somewhere it wouldn't be until after interviews but it seems like speculation.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed IS 11/15 and received hold 11/17; does anyone have any idea when holds will hear back? Everything I have found has been inconclusive... I heard somewhere it wouldn't be until after interviews but it seems like speculation.
Last year, I was put on hold in November and did not hear back until early April that I did not make the waitlist. I think the only outcomes are either waitlist or rejection after being put on hold, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah exactly, I don't think I've heard of anyone actually hearing back from a hold before April/May.

Yeah exactly, I don't think I've heard of anyone actually hearing back from a hold before April/May.
Well there’s definitely underreporting on this forum compared to most other SDN forums, so I wouldn’t lose hope if you are on hold. How they explained the hold is that there is a certain point threshold where above the threshold is acceptances and below the threshold is holds. This threshold changes throughout the cycle as the admissions committee gets a better sense for the scores of their interviewees.

IS A just now as well! I was not expecting this after being placed on hold...

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed 11/8, my application was put “on hold” 11/17, and I received an acceptance 12/15! Like someone commented above, there’s a lot of underreporting on SDN. So, it seems like the South Alabama admissions review “on hold” applications each time they meet rather than wait till March/April. If you’re still “on hold,” don’t lose hope!! An acceptance will come when you least expect it.

FYI, my stats are 502 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, and many community service/ clinical hours and research experience. As you can tell by my MCAT score, South definitely does a holistic approach!

Reactions: 1 users
I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know if South sends a physical official acceptance letter through the mail?

2) As someone mentioned above, is there an official class of 2028 groupchat on like Facebook or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats all! Got the A as well. Unsure if there is a groupchat or Facebook. Maybe someone can reach out if they have a friend who is currently a med student at South?

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats all! Got the A as well. Unsure if there is a groupchat or Facebook. Maybe someone can reach out if they have a friend who is currently a med student at South?
Congrats to you too! I see you also received an acceptance from UAB! That’s amazing!!

IS A on 12/15 after being "on hold"

517/3.85

I know a few have asked, but does anyone know of a Facebook group or GroupMe for our class?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
In-state Applicant:

Secondary Comp.: 8/29
Update Letter: 12/5 (Couldn't have done it without this bad boy)
Interview Invite: 12/12
Interviewed: 1/17
Accepted: 1/19

In-state Applicant:

Secondary Comp.: 8/29
Update Letter: 12/5 (Couldn't have done it without this bad boy)
Interview Invite: 12/12
Interviewed: 1/17
Accepted: 1/19
what type of things did you include in your letter and can you tell me how you felt like it made a big difference? I am considering turning one in.

I interviewed 11/8, my application was put “on hold” 11/17, and I received an acceptance 12/15! Like someone commented above, there’s a lot of underreporting on SDN. So, it seems like the South Alabama admissions review “on hold” applications each time they meet rather than wait till March/April. If you’re still “on hold,” don’t lose hope!! An acceptance will come when you least expect it.

FYI, my stats are 502 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, and many community service/ clinical hours and research experience. As you can tell by my MCAT score, South definitely does a holistic approach!
Are you ORM?

Still on hold, did you send a post II letter?
Interviewed mid november, put on hold a few days later, sent LOI in january and another update letter in february. have not heard anything

this purgatory sucks :(

Still on hold, did you send a post II letter?
Yup. Interviewed mid Nov and sent an update letter late Jan. They were very nice but I haven't heard anything since. From previous years it looks like they make a waitlist out of the on holds in late Mar/early Apr, so hopefully some news comes soon.

For all interested, this is the information I have just received from calling the admissions office. South Alabama Medicine has filled their class. If you were given a hold notification, they will be establishing their waitlist during the first week in april. At this point, people with a hold will either get a WL or rejection. Admissions phone lady thinks they will send out this notification april 8 or otherwise first week of april, but this depends on when the committee meets. She states that once places establish WL they see movement, which quiets down and at the end of april. Then at the beginning of may when they require applicants to let them know plan/commit to enroll and require deposit then we see movement again

Is there usually much movement from waitlist?