You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 South Alabama
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
NotYetDoctor
New Member
Can you share when you completed your secondary?IS II 🥲
Last year, I was put on hold in November and did not hear back until early April that I did not make the waitlist. I think the only outcomes are either waitlist or rejection after being put on hold, but I could be wrong.Interviewed IS 11/15 and received hold 11/17; does anyone have any idea when holds will hear back? Everything I have found has been inconclusive... I heard somewhere it wouldn't be until after interviews but it seems like speculation.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Scienceman23
Full Member
Yeah exactly, I don't think I've heard of anyone actually hearing back from a hold before April/May.
Well there’s definitely underreporting on this forum compared to most other SDN forums, so I wouldn’t lose hope if you are on hold. How they explained the hold is that there is a certain point threshold where above the threshold is acceptances and below the threshold is holds. This threshold changes throughout the cycle as the admissions committee gets a better sense for the scores of their interviewees.Yeah exactly, I don't think I've heard of anyone actually hearing back from a hold before April/May.
howsitgoing44
New Member
Does anyone know if there’s a class of 2028 instagram/facebook/something?
sahmtomedschool
Full Member
Has anyone heard anything about a second look event???
paigecheme
New Member
IS A through email just now!
Chocolate_Bunny_XO
Full Member
IS A just now as well! I was not expecting this after being placed on hold...
Scienceman23
Full Member
IS A as well!
femalecurry
New Member
I interviewed 11/8, my application was put “on hold” 11/17, and I received an acceptance 12/15! Like someone commented above, there’s a lot of underreporting on SDN. So, it seems like the South Alabama admissions review “on hold” applications each time they meet rather than wait till March/April. If you’re still “on hold,” don’t lose hope!! An acceptance will come when you least expect it.
FYI, my stats are 502 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, and many community service/ clinical hours and research experience. As you can tell by my MCAT score, South definitely does a holistic approach!
FYI, my stats are 502 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, and many community service/ clinical hours and research experience. As you can tell by my MCAT score, South definitely does a holistic approach!
femalecurry
New Member
I have two questions:
1) Does anyone know if South sends a physical official acceptance letter through the mail?
2) As someone mentioned above, is there an official class of 2028 groupchat on like Facebook or something?
1) Does anyone know if South sends a physical official acceptance letter through the mail?
2) As someone mentioned above, is there an official class of 2028 groupchat on like Facebook or something?
mellow_rose
New Member
Congrats all! Got the A as well. Unsure if there is a groupchat or Facebook. Maybe someone can reach out if they have a friend who is currently a med student at South?
femalecurry
New Member
Congrats to you too! I see you also received an acceptance from UAB! That’s amazing!!Congrats all! Got the A as well. Unsure if there is a groupchat or Facebook. Maybe someone can reach out if they have a friend who is currently a med student at South?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS A on 12/15 after being "on hold"
517/3.85
I know a few have asked, but does anyone know of a Facebook group or GroupMe for our class?
517/3.85
I know a few have asked, but does anyone know of a Facebook group or GroupMe for our class?
Chocolate_Bunny_XO
Full Member
Not that I know of! I don't mind creating one, though, if y'all would be interested!IS A on 12/15 after being "on hold"
517/3.85
I know a few have asked, but does anyone know of a Facebook group or GroupMe for our class?
Definitely interested. I'll PM you my info once it's up. Thanks!Not that I know of! I don't mind creating one, though, if y'all would be interested!
Chocolate_Bunny_XO
Full Member
Awesome, creating the group now! I'll let you know once I'm done.Definitely interested. I'll PM you my info once it's up. Thanks!
Chocolate_Bunny_XO
Full Member
D
deleted1106899
Does south alabama accept letter of intent?
D
deleted1167652
Pre II R
NotYetDoctor
New Member
In-state Applicant:
Secondary Comp.: 8/29
Update Letter: 12/5 (Couldn't have done it without this bad boy)
Interview Invite: 12/12
Interviewed: 1/17
Accepted: 1/19
Secondary Comp.: 8/29
Update Letter: 12/5 (Couldn't have done it without this bad boy)
Interview Invite: 12/12
Interviewed: 1/17
Accepted: 1/19
nediak123eye
New Member
what type of things did you include in your letter and can you tell me how you felt like it made a big difference? I am considering turning one in.In-state Applicant:
Secondary Comp.: 8/29
Update Letter: 12/5 (Couldn't have done it without this bad boy)
Interview Invite: 12/12
Interviewed: 1/17
Accepted: 1/19
Been quiet for a while in here, anyone else still on hold?
OOS applicant here. II on 1/17, on hold since 1/22Been quiet for a while in here, anyone else still on hold?
IS, Interviewed 11/15, on hold since 11/18 despite LOI 🙁Been quiet for a while in here, anyone else still on hold?
BuzzLightyr
Full Member
Are you ORM?I interviewed 11/8, my application was put “on hold” 11/17, and I received an acceptance 12/15! Like someone commented above, there’s a lot of underreporting on SDN. So, it seems like the South Alabama admissions review “on hold” applications each time they meet rather than wait till March/April. If you’re still “on hold,” don’t lose hope!! An acceptance will come when you least expect it.
FYI, my stats are 502 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, and many community service/ clinical hours and research experience. As you can tell by my MCAT score, South definitely does a holistic approach!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1106899
Still on hold, did you send a post II letter?Been quiet for a while in here, anyone else still on hold?
Interviewed mid november, put on hold a few days later, sent LOI in january and another update letter in february. have not heard anythingStill on hold, did you send a post II letter?
this purgatory sucks 🙁
Yup. Interviewed mid Nov and sent an update letter late Jan. They were very nice but I haven't heard anything since. From previous years it looks like they make a waitlist out of the on holds in late Mar/early Apr, so hopefully some news comes soon.Still on hold, did you send a post II letter?
For all interested, this is the information I have just received from calling the admissions office. South Alabama Medicine has filled their class. If you were given a hold notification, they will be establishing their waitlist during the first week in april. At this point, people with a hold will either get a WL or rejection. Admissions phone lady thinks they will send out this notification april 8 or otherwise first week of april, but this depends on when the committee meets. She states that once places establish WL they see movement, which quiets down and at the end of april. Then at the beginning of may when they require applicants to let them know plan/commit to enroll and require deposit then we see movement again
D
deleted1106899
Is there usually much movement from waitlist?
HealthSpecter
New Member
Has anyone received an acceptance from the waitlist yet?
HealthSpecter
New Member
Previous years, it looks like the waitlist is 30-40 people and usually around 20 people get acceptance offers.Is there usually much movement from waitlist?
D
deleted1106899
Any updates from anyone on waitlist?
I know someone already asked but has anyone been asked off waitlist or heard about any movement? I was told during my feedback session that "the majority of movement had already happened" but I find that hard to believe d/t FAFSA delays, nobody posting in SDN, none of my friends on the waitlist have heard, etc...
Also heard they would be sending out rejections to those who they don't anticipate getting in mid-June
Also heard they would be sending out rejections to those who they don't anticipate getting in mid-June
HealthSpecter
New Member
Still on the waitlist. I find it hard to believe as well. I looked at previous years, and people were still getting off the waitlist in June and July.I know someone already asked but has anyone been asked off waitlist or heard about any movement? I was told during my feedback session that "the majority of movement had already happened" but I find that hard to believe d/t FAFSA delays, nobody posting in SDN, none of my friends on the waitlist have heard, etc...
Also heard they would be sending out rejections to those who they don't anticipate getting in mid-June
krebscycledeez
New Member
Primary submit: 06/01/2023
Secondary submit: 07/07/2023
Interview invite: 12/05/2023
Interview: 01/10/2024
Hold: 01/22/24
Wait-list: 04/08/2024
Accepted: 06/03/2034
Secondary submit: 07/07/2023
Interview invite: 12/05/2023
Interview: 01/10/2024
Hold: 01/22/24
Wait-list: 04/08/2024
Accepted: 06/03/2034
Congrats!!Primary submit: 06/01/2023
Secondary submit: 07/07/2023
Interview invite: 12/05/2023
Interview: 01/10/2024
Hold: 01/22/24
Wait-list: 04/08/2024
Accepted: 06/03/2034
Looks like, at a minimum, two people came off the waitlist yesterday.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you know?Looks like, at a minimum, two people came off the waitlist yesterday.
D
deleted1106899
Should we reach out to see how much the waitlist will move? It is almost july
I called two weeks ago. They said they would send notifs to people who should make alternate plans at the beginning of July. Also said CTE is july 8 so some movement will prob happen at that point, and if people don’t show up to orientation it could technically even move at that point 🤷🏼♀️Should we reach out to see how much the waitlist will move? It is almost july